Lucas 21-Apr-14
SJJ 22-Apr-14
SmoothieJonez 22-Apr-14
Bigdan 22-Apr-14
greenmountain 22-Apr-14
21-Apr-14

SJJ's embedded Photo
SJJ's embedded Photo
I was given this deer skull. I think it's a Couse but am looking for confirmation. The skull is pretty small....about 10" long. The Euro mount is like 60 years old...The buck scores near 100"

21-Apr-14
What is the area it is claimed from. Appears to be a normal WT? There is a good DNA data base on WT and Coues deer. Testing is not too expensive.

21-Apr-14
I'm a whitetail nut....it's not a whitetail. The skull is miniature compared to a whitetail buck....about the size of a fawn. I know nothing else about it but the antlers are whitetail-like....thus ? Couse

21-Apr-14
60 years old? Key deer?

21-Apr-14
Area is critical to know. There are many small deer similar to WT in southern MX etc. Sinaloa has a sub species IIRC.

21-Apr-14
I would agree Location?

21-Apr-14
100 inch mature deer...Florida

21-Apr-14
You would be the "expert" ;>

21-Apr-14
Hell Bob I don't remember even seeing a deer when I lived down in Dade Co. or running Alligator Alley back in the 70's gators and snakes yes!But no deer:(

21-Apr-14
Never thought about a key deer...mmmm.

21-Apr-14
:) Dave, the gators and snakes ate all the deer down there!

21-Apr-14
I'd believe it with some of the things having seen back than LOL

21-Apr-14
Is that a metal tag at the base of his right horn?

21-Apr-14
Some kind of whitetail subspecies, depends upon where it was found... There is thirty something recognizable subspecies of whitetails... Being that small, I'd guess Couse or Keys, or from somewhere in the tropics...

Some of limited video I've seen of the South American whitetails, they aren't very big either....

21-Apr-14
SJJ - Just viewed you Sheep ID thread too, are you getting these skulls from Texas, if so I'd guess your whitetail skull is native Texan too, some of them TX whitetails are pretty small...

21-Apr-14
I don't know what subspecies your skull is, but if it is from Texas, it could be a Carmen Mountians Whitetail. They are smaller bodied than Coues with (on average) larger antlers.

22-Apr-14
Unfortunately I have no info on them other than they hung in a gun shop for over half a century...they're cool tho'

thanks guys

22-Apr-14
I was under the impression Euro mounts are top jaw, skull and antlers only. The mount above would be a full skull mount. Regardless, cool looking rack and skull.

22-Apr-14
Coues' deer is how its spelled

22-Apr-14
A Coue's deer is a sub species of the Whitetail clan. It was a trophy to the person who shot it. I would bet money on that much.

• Sitka Gear