Fuzzy 23-Apr-14
Brotsky 23-Apr-14
TurkeyBowMaster 23-Apr-14
elktrax 25-Apr-14
21-Apr-14

Mr_steve's embedded Photo
Mr_steve's embedded Photo

Mr_steve's Link
A couple weeks back I posted pictures from our SD Turkey Hunt. We did not bring home any turkey meat but did run into a coyote on our trip. We were on our way to a turkey spot when we spotted the coyote at about 50 yards. It moved swiftly to a stump where we ranged it at 74 yards. Shayne was able to put an awesome shot on it. I'd like to say I taught him how to shoot but that'd be a lie. He practices often, does several 3D shoots and is quite a marksman. Not the best footage as it was dark but you can see the coyote in the bottom left of the frame. Hope you enjoy.

21-Apr-14
nice shot, thanks for sharing the video

21-Apr-14
Sweet...

21-Apr-14
74yds is a "fer piece"...but on a Coyote I'm good with it! Heck of a shot man!

21-Apr-14
sitO, thanks for embedding that. Yeah I don't like far shots but in this situation I'm okay with it.

It is fitting that Shayne's handle on BS is Yotkilr.

21-Apr-14
Awesome! I advise taking all shots on coyotes, just because you might get lucky! Ha! Sweet shot, thanks for sharing!

21-Apr-14
Great Video, thanks for the post

21-Apr-14
Awesome shot...very cool!

Nice work, one less song dog to worry about!

21-Apr-14
give it time, Pat...

21-Apr-14
Ha! Pat pulled the words from my mouth. I mean coyotes aren't animals like the rest of them...are they?

21-Apr-14
A 74 yard shot on a coyote is the equivalent of a 122 shot at a deer and 207 at an elk and 21 sat a turkey and 12 at a worf rat. Not bad shooting.

21-Apr-14
He used Bigdan's quartering-to shot! Nice.

21-Apr-14
Bombs away! He likely thought he heard some tasty bird wingin' in to land....

Great shot, that's really reaching out and touching someone! thanks much for sharing.

21-Apr-14
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you can afford it, keep on plugging at 'em. That boy is good! God Bless

21-Apr-14
Nice shoot a yote, save a Turkey!LOL

Good shot also.

21-Apr-14
Very impressive shot. Great results too !!! Congrats.

21-Apr-14
Wow ! That's all, just WOW !!!

21-Apr-14
Nice shooting on that yoder dog!

22-Apr-14
"Surprised the ethics police haven't arrived yet."

Surprised they it was never really brought up as well.

22-Apr-14
Well....Here you go then. No one can deny that the shot was impressive, and I am sure that there are folks much better than I am at archery who can stand in front of a target butt all day and put arrows into the gold at 74 yards. But to suggest that a shot at 74 yards on a living target IS ethical, I call Bull-Shite on that.

If that coy-dog moved even a couple of inches or if that that arrow was bumped by a small gust of wind that critter could have just as well been gutted and crawled away with its insides hanging out. I know, I know, It's only a coyote some of you will say. I was taught that all the game animals we hunt deserve our respect. I think by shooting at distances like that we show only a callous disrespect and this hurts the image of bow hunters every time it's done!

I don't know this young man at all. I am sure he is probably a really great guy, after all he is a BOWHUNTER and there are very few folks I know who Bowhunt that I can't find a reason to get along with.

I would hope that my comment here provokes some thought to the desire we have to kill a big game animal(or varmint) and the ethical consequences of a shot made at ridiculously long ranges.

Modern technology has extended our ranges with archery equipment no doubt. However we have a responsibility to do right by the animals we hunt and to the Sport we love more than ever these days.

22-Apr-14
Does a turkey tag in SD also include fur bearers/small game? I have never hunted there so I dont know

22-Apr-14
That's a tough shot with a bowtec or ose but that aint nothing with a Hoyt. I'm going to bust a balloon at 350 yards soon. .I can feel it coming on.

22-Apr-14

22-Apr-14
I laugh when the guys from back East have a fit when anything is shot over thirty yards because you are not a "true hunter" unless you kill them under 30 yards. Think about it this way, most hunting in the East is a guy waiting in a treestand for an animal to get close enough to shoot it. While must hunting in the West is a guy spotting an animal and stalking within range to said animal. What makes the guy in the East such a better hunter when he sits and waits for an animal to walk under his tree then shoots it at 20 yards, than the guy from the West who stalks to within range of an animal that is on their level and kills the animal.

22-Apr-14
Great shot!!! only good yote is a dead one

22-Apr-14
Takedown - PM sent.

22-Apr-14
I" laugh when the guys from back East have a fit when anything is shot over thirty yards because you are not a "true hunter" unless you kill them under 30 yards. "

That's the north east your talking about.. big fat deer and 8 feet off the ground in a tree. In the south we have little quick deer and if youre not at least 25 feet up you will never get drawn...makes for some tough shots.

22-Apr-14
Was that a dial-a-prayer sight, or halfway between the 70 and 80 yards pins? Was there a trailing dog just in case?

22-Apr-14
Nice!

22-Apr-14
Willliamtell It was between the 70 and 80 pins. Not 100% sure what a trailing dog is but I had the rifle not to far away for a follow up shot if need be.

23-Apr-14
I'm not Impressed with the shot.....And yesterdays technology can shoot that far with accuracy...

23-Apr-14

23-Apr-14
Howard Hill once shot an elk at 174 yards and a duck at 200+.

Would I take a shot like that? No. But then the old guys use to do those kinds of shots all the time.

TBB

23-Apr-14
The police to the ethics-police showed up much sooner than the ethics-police.

23-Apr-14
well shoot... I limit my distance on GAME to shots with a high personal confidence level (for me with the recurve or longbow that's less than 30 yards) I will take any shot at a hog or coyote or feral cat that I think I can either draw blood or find my arrow...I am not cruel or callous but I am not gonna let a member of an invasive species walk, if I have a chance at taking it out...

23-Apr-14
CNELK, any big game license allows a hunter to shoot coyotes and other varmints thoughout the season, even after the tag is filled. Turkey is classified as a big game animal in SD so he was completely legal in taking the coyote on a turkey tag.

23-Apr-14

TurkeyBowMaster's embedded Photo
TurkeyBowMaster's embedded Photo
Ziss here da trailing dog. She trail em it they dead and want if they super fishial wounded. Garenteed!!

25-Apr-14
I would have tried it... Awesome shot... HOYT

• Sitka Gear