1boonr 11-May-14
TurkeyBowMaster 11-May-14
TurkeyBowMaster 11-May-14
t-roy 11-May-14
cityhunter 11-May-14
The Night Stalker 11-May-14
bo hntr9 17-May-14
22-Apr-14
I am planning on planting some Dunstan Chestnut trees this spring. (if they don't all get bought up before I get to the store when they come in) The areas that I plan to plant them has quite a few cedar trees.

My question is; I know cedar trees can have a negative impact on certain plants & trees. Does anyone know if they would cause any problems with chestnut trees?

Also, if anyone has had experience planting chestnuts, any other info, tips, thoughts, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

22-Apr-14
its going to be a race to get them trees lol

22-Apr-14
That's the way it sounds!

23-Apr-14
I've planted chestnuts on two different farms and plan to add some more this year. Cedars will kill fruit (apples especially) trees but don't seem to bother the chestnuts. Maybe some biologist can give us a definitive answer.

23-Apr-14
what about blk walnut I heard they kill other species

23-Apr-14
Where are you guys finding Dunstan trees for sale?

23-Apr-14
Olink go to Realtreelnursery.com They are starting to stock the stores now.

23-Apr-14
Olink, You can also go to Chestnut Hill Outdoors & go to the pricelist & stores link. It will tell you the stores that are getting them & how many they are supposed to get.

24-Apr-14
Thanks for the link to the list of places to get Dunstan trees. Luckily, an Agway 9 miles from me is getting some in, and I'm now 'on the list'. Unfortunately, they have no idea when they are coming in or how much they will cost.

24-Apr-14
I was planning to plant some this year until a couple of guys on the Wisconsin page posted that they don't do well in Wisconsin - winters too cold. So, check out Iowa to be sure there are no issues.

Red Cedar trees cause issues with Apples, not White Cedar. BC

24-Apr-14
I just got four at our local farm supply store.

24-Apr-14
Does anyone know where they can be mail ordered currently? None available in our area in northeast Ohio.

24-Apr-14
I think the gal at the farm supply store is getting sick of me calling every other day! Actually, she has been very pleasant & helpful. No trees today, but should be any day now!

Also, any suggestions on what type of grow tubes to use, what height to get, & where to get them?

From what i've read, most guys suggest using the 5' tubes to get them above the browse line, but I would think 6 footers would be even better but don't know if the extra height would have any negative effects on the tree or not.?

24-Apr-14
Troy u best park outside the place !!!!

24-Apr-14

CAS_HNTR's Link
Troy, I would get these tubes....best price and good quality.

In regards to height, I read somewhere that the 5' prevents 85% of deer issues, the 6' prevent 98%....your call I guess but I would go for the 5' ones. I don't know of any issues with using taller ones but be sure to stake the tree once planted to help with stability over the first several years.

24-Apr-14

Ohvaco's embedded Photo
Ohvaco's embedded Photo
I planted 25 Dunsten Chestnuts last spring. I ordered them from Chestnut Hill Tree Farm. Here is a direct link.

http://www.chestnuthilltreefarm.com/store/pg/35-The-Dunstan-Chestnut.aspx

They came as 6-8" seedlings and they were very well packaged with great instructions. I've planted a lot of seedlings and found that 5' tubes are needed for deer protection. The 4' tubes don't do it. The deer will eat all fresh shoots coming out of the 4' tube. The seedlings did amazingly well. By end of summer, I lost two and nearly all the rest of the 23 had grown up out of the 5' tubes. Planted as 6-8" seedlings in March and by October they were over 5'! Note, it is essential to water the seedlings during the first year. Every couple weeks and more if it is hot and dry. Otherwise those little roots will cook dry. Depending on where you are planting, I highly recommend the weed mats. I planted in grassy/weedy fields and the mats kept the weeds at bay mimed around the seedlings.

These are Sweetheart Chestnuts I planted in the spring of 2005 as 6-8" seedlings. Look at them now. I hope one day I'll be able to hang my tree stand and hunt out of a tree that I planted as a seedling. That would be cool!

24-Apr-14

Ohvaco's embedded Photo
Ohvaco's embedded Photo
One more pic of a Sweetheart Chestnut planted in spring of 2005 and pic taken spring of 2012.

25-Apr-14
Ohvaco......how long did it take for that chestnut in the scond picture to produce?

25-Apr-14

AH's embedded Photo
AH's embedded Photo
Go some from Wally World last month in 3 gallon containers and were about 4' tall. I too drove them crazy calling for when they would arrive. They actually called me when they got their shipment and I was there pronto. Planted them on a couple of different places the 3rd week of March. 5' tubes, big hole with added rich soil, weed mats and mulch on top. Some forums said avoid afternoon sun to keep the from burning up in my (southern) climate so I planted on the west side of fields. They are growing well one month later with lots of green coming out.

25-Apr-14

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Score!

I got a call this morning from Theisen's & said the trees were in. I went & picked them up this afternoon. 20 for me & 10 for a buddy. The gal there said that a guy from South Dakota called & told her to hold 25 for him as well.

The trees look to be in very good shape. City, I didn't even have to camp out overnite to get them! can't wait to get them in the ground.

CAS_HNTR, Thanks for the link & Ohvaco, I hope my trees do as well as what yours have done so far!

FYI, As of Friday night, the Theisen's store in Ames still has 30-40 trees left.

25-Apr-14
I forgot to add that Theisens was willing to hold the trees, unlike some of the places in southern Iowa that my buddy called. I guess that they had lots of calls on them!

25-Apr-14
Cas_Hntr, none of sweetheart chestnuts nor my sawtooth oaks (also planted in 2005) have produced yet. That said, maybe they have produced a few and I missed 'em, but none have obviously produced.

AH, I recommend you set up some turkey decoys and get in your blind with your bow in that field tomorrow morning! Nice! Also, what are you mulching your trees with? Looks like straw?

27-Apr-14
troy way to go !!!!

28-Apr-14
Ohvaco..Yes I mulched with pine straw since it was readily available. If you suggest otherwise please let me know. I need to go back and add more mulch. As for setting up on turkey there you are correct, they love that field but I've been too busy turning the winter wheat under and planting summer groceries.

28-Apr-14
my chestnuts grow great here in sc, except for a boring insect that is attracted to them trees if you attempt to prune them. the tree gives off a hormone that the borer is drawn to when I prune, it kills the top, a new tree will grow from the roots always. I dont suggest planting them here unless you have a plan to handle these conditions. otherwise the nuts are loved by every animal around here, no fungus, only low fertilizer requirements , and they seem to handle low acid conditions fine.

28-Apr-14
I got two yesterday from Wally world.. Will go back and get some more.. My wife says I've bought enough trees, lol...

Anyways, They're already leafed out big time, so I'm going to get some 5 or 7 gallon pots and replant here in a week or so...

I've planted over 100 sawtooths as well over the last year, but I wish I'd saved the money for the Dunstans...

28-Apr-14
whats the cost at wally world why isn't anyone planting blk walnuts for the kids and grand kids

28-Apr-14
Im planning on planting some walnuts on a property my father bought this year. .....close to one acre will be a nice grove!

30-Apr-14

The Night Stalker's embedded Photo
The Night Stalker's embedded Photo
I planted 25-30 dunston chestnuts last weekend in variable spots. I heard the trees from Walmart are 25.00 dollars. I stratified about 180 nuts over the winter. As they germinated, I placed them in starter pots with a special soil mix. I am waiting on my 5 ft tree tubes to plant the seedlings. I will try to post pics. I have about 50 dollars invested in the seedlings and 100 dollars in 25 tree tubes.

30-Apr-14
Night Stalker _ What strain of Dunstan is that that grow upside down? That sure would make it easier for deer to eat though.....

30-Apr-14
Anybody have a link to what climate zones Dunstan's grow in? Also, what is the typical length of time before they produce mast? Ohvaco's trees look plenty healthy and happy and it's been 8 full growing seasons.

Re the upsidedown method - borrowed from the hydroponics folks?

30-Apr-14
I would think after a couple off seasons, there should be a few nuts on the trees. I prefer the American 15/16 ths chestnuts, the American chestnut foundation are at a point where they are starting to set trees that will be blight resistant. They are real close to putting a genetic engineered tree out. I have a few of these trees and hoping to keep planting their offspring.

30-Apr-14
I would think after a couple off seasons, there should be a few nuts on the trees. I prefer the American 15/16 ths chestnuts, the American chestnut foundation are at a point where they are starting to set trees that will be blight resistant. They are real close to putting a genetic engineered tree out. There is really good you tube video lecture on the genetics. I have a few of these trees and hoping to keep planting their offspring. The Americans will grow in the woods whereas the Dunstons need to be on edges. I go into my woods and timber a few trees to open up the canopy a little to make room for the Americans.

30-Apr-14
Any tips on getting the tree tubes on without damaging branches in the process? I'm thinking about loosely wrapping them in plastic, slipping the tubes over them & then pulling the plastic out of the top of the tube. Hope to get them in the ground this weekend.

The chestnuts I bought were $25 each.

30-Apr-14
Night Stalker, I anxiously await 15/16 American Chestnuts. That will be fantastic and I'll definitely plant a bunch!

Also, I've gathered and started thousands of white oak acorns. So the acorn from the white oak family start sprouting in the Fall the moment they hit the ground whereas red oak family sit all winter and sprout in the spring. My boys and I have gathered thousands of white oak family acorns (white oak, chestnut oak) and tried to start them. The first year we carefully planted acorns in pots and kept them protected in the greenhouse, kept them moist all winter, etc. etc. Come spring we moved the pots outside and watered and babied them ... Funny thing I noticed - the plastic grocery bags that we used to gather acorns in and added some peat moss in order to keep them moist and "soiled" - well those plastic grocery bags were full of healthy sprouted acorns! Sooo, no more careful planting in pots for me. We just gather acorns, drop them in plastic grocery bass with moist peat moss and let 'em sprout! Keep e'em moist all winter in the garage or outside beside the garage and in spring plant them in the woods or where ever in tubes and let 'em grow! From there, I have maybe 50% survival ... maybe ... From there it's tough. Need watered for sure, and this is where I've faltered. I've watered but not enough. And also mats to keep weed competition out and moisture in helps A LOT!

T-Roy, not sure how big your trees are but when I planted seedlings I just held the limbs in tight and slipped the tube over top and then staked it. Gotta be careful the limb ends don't catch in the air holes on the tubes.

Good luck!

30-Apr-14
One more thing - you have to sort them to get rid of acorns w/ worms first. Otherwise one bad acorn w/ a worm can ruin the bunch. Place em all in five gallon bucket of water overnight and next morning, those that are floating are bad (I think that's how it is ... you can google or youtube it), then "plant" the rest in the plastic grocery bag w/ moist peat.

01-May-14
Dunstan Chestnuts and persimmons arrived this morning in Sherman, TX; McAlester, OK; and Owasso, OK Walmarts. Picked some up at McAlester Walmart. 7gal Dunstan $39.97, 3gal Dunstan $29.97. They all looked great.

02-May-14
I purchased a bunch of 3 gallon chestnut trees from walmart last year and found it easier to cage them then use tubes.

$25 a pop was too rich for my blood so this year i am trying to direct seed into tubes. 100 seeds cost less then one tree at walmart.

I have not experienced it peasonally, but i have read that 5 foot tubes make chest nut trees very flimsy. The end up needing to be staked for several more years. I landed on 3 foot tubes and when the seedlings reach the top of the tube i will add another 3 feet of ridgid mesh or chicken wire.

Good luck guys

02-May-14
ok so were are u planting your trees

02-May-14

Parker35's DeerBuilder embedded Photo
Parker35's DeerBuilder embedded Photo

Hi cityhunter,

I am using 3 rows of chestnut trees to split a 6 acre field. Not much to look at yet... Just tubes. The goal is to add food and also give the deer a secure way to cross the field. Plus chestnut trees need full sun to reach full potential so the field was an ideal location.

Nightstalker, they are healthy looking trees. I hope to try to grow indoors next year.

02-May-14
I just planted the first 7 of them this evening. Planted all of them around the edge of a small food plot. They should all get pretty close to full sunlight. I forgot to bring my camera! I'll try to post a few pics tomorrow.

08-May-14
Troy I just bought my trees on the way over to NJ saw the largest BLK bear just walking like he owned the way golf course in back drop and townhomes all over very surreal to see this giant blk object on a emerald green lawn LOL

08-May-14

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
I planted seven trees around this food plot on my new farm. I've got 15 in the ground so far. Only 7 more to go!

City--Are the trees you picked up going to your Iowa farm or back east? I would suggest Iowa. Fewer bear problems here!

08-May-14

CAS_HNTR's MOBILE embedded Photo
CAS_HNTR's MOBILE embedded Photo

Here are what mine look like now.....In a few years I hope to have 25 beautiful trees!

09-May-14
If anyone in SW Pa. is looking for Dunstan Chestnut trees the Wallmart in Chippewa, Beaver County got them in last night. I was on the call list and ran up and got 5,there was another guy there that also was on the call list picking some up, I think they got 60 all together.

09-May-14
trees are going to iowa I might plant 2 in ny they were 29 for 3 gal 39 for 7 gal I wish they had more 7gal way better deal then them ,little 3gal ones

Troy is iowa all green yet also any mushrooms being found !!! no way can I get these into a tube im going to cage them .

10-May-14
I just bought 4 and am ready to put them in the ground. Can anyone explain these grow tubes to me. My trees are 4-5 foot tall. How do I get the tubes around them? Do I need to cut the lower branches to get the tubes on? How long of tubes? Where the best place to get them?

10-May-14
The tubes that I bought came in groups of 5. They are five different sized tubes so they can be shipped one inside of the other. The biggest 3 tubes weren't too bad to get over the trees, but the smallest 2 tubes were kind of a pita to put on the trees.

I took a kitchen type garbage bag & wrapped it as loosely as I could around the tree with the branches folded as closely to the tree as I could get them. I then took the reusable zip ties that came with the tubes & secured the garbage bag around the tree with these. I then slipped the tube over the tree & reached thru the tube & pulled the garbage bag carefully off the tree thru the top of the tube.

I was doing this alone & it was super windy the day that I did it. It would work WAY better with 2 people.

Cornbread, Hope this helps you. Also they recommend planting the trees where they can get as close to full sun as possible. I would recommend at least 5 foot tubes for your trees. 6 footers would be even better to keep the deer from browsing on them.

City, It's starting to really green up here finally. I've only found a few little greys so far, but we got some rain this past week along with warmer temps so they should be popping up all over this week!

10-May-14
THANKS t roy im down by Albia were about are u . I think im going to just build a cage around them do u think them tubes make um kind of weak , I read wear its good for trees to move in the wind to build there strength

10-May-14
I just bought 13 Dunstan's today at Wally World in Beaver Valley, PA. Just a handful left this morning after one day.

10-May-14

bo hntr9's embedded Photo
bo hntr9's embedded Photo
An exciting day. Started 42 Dunstan Chestnuts trying to sprout them last Sunday. Found the first sprouted today (day 6). Soaked them 24 hours then in wet paper towels in Tupperware since. Mold is an issue- I've wiped them off twice. 18 floated. I've separated them to see if that is a predictor of good seed.

10-May-14
were did u get the dunstan chestnuts to plant ?

10-May-14
Chestnut Ridge of Pike County 18483 US Hwy 54 Rockport, IL 62370 217-437-4281 check out their website.

10-May-14
thanks

11-May-14
I get my tree shelters at treepro.com. they come flat and are made to wrap around the tree and closed up with zip ties which are included. mine were $2 for the four footers. Treepro is in Lafayette Indiana.

11-May-14
When you plant them put a couple of baby diapers in the hole with them and put osmacote on the roots. Both will hold moisture and make watering less demanding.

11-May-14
When you plant them put a couple of baby diapers in the hole with them and put osmacote on the roots. Both will hold moisture and make watering less demanding.

11-May-14
That begs the question; cloth or disposable?!!

I've got a buddy whose wife just had a baby. Maybe I could get him to save me some used ones. that way I could take care of the watering & fertilizing at the same time! They have been feeding her strained bananas. That takes care of the potassium, but not sure what I could get them to feed her for the nitrogen or the potash;>)

11-May-14
lot of good info

11-May-14
I bought my chestnuts from chestnut ridge last fall. I stratified them from October to March in the refrigerator, another set in the garage in a styrofoam cooler with moistened Pete moss. Just about all of them germinated out of 180 nuts. I have planted some germinated seeds, 25 seedlings in tree tubes. I just finished up yesterday and I also fertlized my hybrid oaks. I just have to wait to see how they do. My Americans have not started to leaf, they might be dead.

17-May-14
Report on starting Dunstan Chestnuts from seed. Of 18 chestnuts which floated when soaking in water, none have sprouted after 3 weeks. 14 of 22 which did not float have sprouted after 2 weeks.

• Sitka Gear