ABQBW 24-Apr-14
bill v 24-Apr-14
Fuzzy 24-Apr-14
Heat 24-Apr-14
mulenija 24-Apr-14
bentstick 24-Apr-14
BSBD 24-Apr-14
22-Apr-14
I just received this, didn't think it was even possible. I think the odds are that its just another SNAFU, anyone else get one?

New Mexico Department of Game & Fish

Dear Mr bentstick,

Congratulations! The New Mexico Department of Game and Fish is pleased to announce that you were successful in drawing a 2014-2015 hunting license for the following hunt code: BHS-1-109. Your license is available in your account and may be printed on any plain paper printer at your convenience. To access your account please go to http://onlinesales.wildlife.state.nm.us and log in. Information specific to your hunt code can be can be found in your account or in the current 2014-2015 Hunting Rules and Information Booklet available online at http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us. Again, congratulations and good luck on your hunt!

22-Apr-14
Ummmm.... Maybe you are "that guy"

22-Apr-14
I don't know if it's "unpossible" but it is close to impossible!

Congrats! Let us know how the scouting and hunting goes

22-Apr-14
bentstick in 1993 I saw my name on a list that said I had drawn the hardest tad in Utah to get, with the worst odds of any animal, a Rocky Mountain bighorn tag. I couldn't beleive it, but it turned out to be true. I arrowed my ram on the second day of my hunt. Dreams are sometimes not unpossible. Good luck.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

22-Apr-14
WoW!, congrats!

22-Apr-14
My understanding was that with the recent court order no ram tags would be available to nonresidents. I fully expect a reversal of fortune; something doesn't add up.

22-Apr-14
I find the entire email suspect since they address you by your Bowsite handle> ;-)

I think BHS 106 and BHS 109 are the only 2 units that hand a snowballs chance in hell of offering a non resident tag and I hope you did get lucky. I kept my app in the draw just on the slim chane they did actually offer NR tags. I guess they did.

Sandbrew

22-Apr-14
That was my thinking also, that it wouldn't hurt to leave the app in a few more weeks just in case; we'll see. Maybe those binos that I got through you and RMBS several years back are good luck!

22-Apr-14
Wow..hope it's no joke and that you have a great hunt-congrats!

22-Apr-14
Anytime you help sheep is good for your karma. Maybe you'll need a new spotting scope.

22-Apr-14
Those dirty dogs. The statute is pretty clear that they should not have awarded any nonresident ram bighorn permits this year.

No offense to you personally bentstick. Congratulations and have a fabulous hunt. Thank god at least it is a Texan that got one! You are double lucky!

23-Apr-14
I got a notification I drew Oryx...I am over the moon... After all the insanity with the NM draw this year looks like I drew. If you drew that ram tag you truly are blessed...

Yeah I kept mine in a chance is a chance...maybe it turned it for guys that stayed in....

23-Apr-14
The link sends you to the site...so looks legit. I remember when i finally drew my Colo Ram Tag...I was parinoid for weeks until I got the tag...then I kept expecting a knock at the door...opps we made a mistake...give it back...;)

23-Apr-14
Hey Sandbrew - KWs brother here. Bought a scope a few years ago from you. Did you know they bounce :)

bentstick,

If you received the email, trust it, you are going. did you add an outfitter number to your application?

Prior to the drawing, the Department of Game and Fish came up just short of saying they would not award a ram sheep tag to a nonresident.

Its technical, but NMDGF bent the quota statute as far as they could to get a ram tag out to a nonresident. There is a good chance that a court would stop them from doing what they did if challenged. The Game Commission and Department aren't stupid. They know what they did and are banking on the likelihood that they won't be challenged in court at all, or soon enough for it to matter as you will have already rolled your sheep. They may also be counting on having the quota statute changed before the next drawing, or using an agglomeration of the sheep hunt codes some how before next year. Anyway, they have shown their preference for using (abusing?) their discretion to award ram sheep permits to nonresident or outfitted applicants when not doing so would be more defensible.

NM is pretty much unique amongst all western states in seeking ways to prefer nonresidents and/or outfitted applicants over unguided residents whenever possible. Most states use their discretion to limit nonresidents as much as possible. Again, I am in no way knocking you bentstick. You are just the wildly fortunate recipient of New Mexico's unique priorities.

Here is something I wrote in a letter that spells out what should have happened and how you got lucky anyway. It is pretty dry reading....

"request the Department conduct the special hunt drawings this year in a manner that insures that for each hunt code “a minimum of eighty-four percent of the licenses shall be issued to residents of New Mexico” as stated in the “quota statute” (NM Stat 17-3-16)..... specifically to the 2014 bighorn sheep drawing but is relevant to all draws hunts. The key words in the legislature’s intent in the quota statute are “minimum” and “shall”. These two words only appear only in the statute in reference to the award of a minimum of 84% of permits in each hunt code New Mexico resident applicants that apply without a New Mexico outfitter. The words "Shall" and "Minimum" do not appear in reference to the unguided nonresident and outfitted resident or nonresident applicant classes. The word shall is a mandate.

....Mathematically, there must be a minimum of 7 permits available in a specific hunt code for a minimum of 84% of permits to be awarded to residents of New Mexico that apply without an outfitter contract and for even one permit to be awarded to nonresidents without an outfitter contract or an outfitted applicant. (5/6 = 83.3%, 6/7 = 85.7%). The maximum number of bighorn ram permits in any hunt code this year is 4, so all bighorn ram permits must be issued to Residents of New Mexico.

There are two bighorn sheep hunt codes this year with four permits each. The statute may appear contradictory on how these four permits should be awarded across the 3 applicant pool but there is no contradiction. Rounding rules in the statute indicate that 3 permits should be awarded to residents of New Mexico, zero permits should be awarded to nonresidents that apply without an outfitter contract, and zero permits should be awarded to nonresidents and residents that are contracted with a New Mexico outfitter. One permit out of the four remains unallocated after rounding. The statute supplies clear guidance as to which applicant pool the “stranded” permit should be awarded. Since three out of four is only 75% of the permits, the fourth permit must be awarded to a resident to meet the minimum of 84% of the permits in the hunt code that SHALL be awarded to residents. The question remains, does the statute provide the Department discretion to award the fourth permit to a resident that has applied in the outfitter pool? The answer is no. The statute considers each of the three applicant pool as separate. When it says a minimum of 84% SHALL be awarded to residents it is referring to the pool of residents that apply without an outfitter contract in place."

23-Apr-14
no such word unpossible, maybe you meant impossible...

23-Apr-14
That is great for you bentstick!!

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

23-Apr-14
Buy a lottery ticket, quick! Congrats!

23-Apr-14

Sandbrew's Link
Actually - "Umpossible" appears in Merriam-Webster's online dictionary. No longer in common usage but a word.

ABQBW- I had my scope bounce and trumble down a rocky slope 30 feet while attached to my backpack with me wearing it. It was fine for about 2 years then the screws came loose right before my moose hunt and it was usless. Might be worth having it checked out now before you really need it for hunting season.

Sandbrew

23-Apr-14
Those weren't the only screws that are loose.

23-Apr-14
If I just drew a bighorn sheep tag I'd probably start speaking in tongues so I'll forgive him the slip.

23-Apr-14
Sand brew. You are supposed to send the scope over the edge without you being attached.

I had a few conversations today with the NM game and fish officials that run the draw. They said: 2 Rocky ram tags (wheeler and latir) awarded to nonresidents that applied in the outfitter pools. 1 latir Rocky ewe tag awarded to an unguided nonresident. 1 latir rocky ewe tag awarded to a nonresident that applied on the outfitted pool.

For the wheeler and latir tags that were awarded to nonresidents in the outfitted pool they floated those tags between the unguided nonresident and outfitted pools until someone from one of those pools got lucky. It just happened to be someone from the outfitted pool and happened to be a nonresident for both tags. They did not look at residents for these two "floater" tags.

23-Apr-14
Good to know ABQBW, I was worried that it was a computer glitch and that I would received an email explaining that it was all a mistake. Now I can enjoy it!

23-Apr-14
Congrats! Post some pictures and story when the hunt is over.

23-Apr-14
Bent stick. You were gold all along!!

You are a lucky, lucky man. If you are not in good shape now I suggest you get in good shape. Those are tall, steep, high mountains.

23-Apr-14
Although I workout year round I had already started to ramp it up for elk season. This definitely gives me a lot more motivation! I've already scheduled to leave a few days early so I can get to altitude and acclimate, I know from past trips that the change from these little hills in Texas is brutal. Even though this will be an outfitted hunt I'm planning June and July scouting trips. I may not sleep for a few days.

23-Apr-14
Congrats you lucky man! You beat the odds! Best of luck to you.

23-Apr-14
WOW!!! Congrats a million times over. The only advice I have is that you can't take enough pictures. Good luck and don't get to caught up on having to shoot "the one" just enjoy the moment cause it'll never happen again!

Wait that sounds like two bits of advice....

23-Apr-14
You had better print it off! Bob.

24-Apr-14
Congrats!

24-Apr-14
Its a small world. Today I when I was talking to the games and fish officials, one of them made the comment, that he couldn't imagine a nonresident paying over $3,000 for a ewe tag. Two hours later I was talking to my friend in Texas that I'm hunting elk with in AZ this fall. He told me that his brother in law's friend in Texas was all excited because he drew a sheep tag in NM. Yep. Accidentally applied for the Latir ewe tag. Ouch. From elated to $3200 poorer in about 1 minute I imagine.

24-Apr-14
Congrats Bentstick!!!

Bill V.

24-Apr-14
that's imbelieveable! how wondrous! ;-)

24-Apr-14
Congratulations! Dreams do come true! Be thankful for your blessings!

24-Apr-14
Bentstick, are you planning on using a bow for the hunt?

24-Apr-14
Plan A,B, and C is my bow, I don't even have a rifle that would be anywhere close to adequate. My main concern is the short duration of the hunt, one week isn't much time. Add in 3 other hunters chasing sheep and the opportunities may be limited.

24-Apr-14
bentstick,

Congratulations on drawing the Latir's for BHS. It's one of my favorite places anywhere and very remote. I've fished up there through the RCLA entrance with the family and even backpacked the long way from Cabresto Lake and past Heart Lake. It's beautiful country but the backpack trip was very difficult mainly due to incredibly bad weather that week.

The time I went up with the family we were hiking up to the the high lake and a big male cougar almost got my golden retriever. The pup was about 75 yards away from us when my wife noticed something creeping along the rocks near him. We didn't have anything but a knife so I yelled and threw a few rocks and the luckily the lion took off.

Best of luck on your hunt.

• Sitka Gear