kellyharris 28-Apr-14
loesshillsarcher 28-Apr-14
Blacktail Bob 28-Apr-14
kellyharris 28-Apr-14
hunt'n addict 28-Apr-14
T Mac 28-Apr-14
Jack Harris 28-Apr-14
23-Apr-14
Thought I would post a few photos of past Alaska Bowhunting adventures. I think its great that folks work out and get into shape, but you need to prepare mentally. Prepare yourself for bad conditions and look forward to the adventure they provide. The guys who do best thrive on adversity. The worse it gets, the stronger they get.

23-Apr-14

Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
Landed on a frozen lake once and the cub went through the ice. The pilot was upset, but nothing we could do about it, so I set up my tent, spent the night and hunted the next day.

23-Apr-14

This trip the river was freezing from the bottom up on us. It was so cold the troopers allowed hunters to be picked up by helicopter that year. We just waited till it warmed up and the floatplane could land to get us.

23-Apr-14

This trip was probably more river than we should have tackled on a moose hunt.

23-Apr-14

This October Mtn Goat hunt was the most challenging hunt I've done. The day before this photo was taken there was no snow on the ground. The day after this photo was taken there was 5 1/2 feet of snow on the ground and we were 2500 feet up in the Chugach Range.

It took us 2 days to dig our way out and make it the mile and half back to our base camp. We could hear the Coast Guard rescuing other hunters with helicopters. We raised our pilot on a handheld radio. He told us, even with skis, there was too much snow to land. So, he airdropped us two pair of snowshoes and we packed him a landing strip. The following day he came back in to get us. That was an adventure.

23-Apr-14

Shot this moose and he died out in the river. We didn't have a boat on this particular hunt and my moose was floating down the river on me. Stripped off my clothes and swam out to fetch him. This photo was the next morning; you can see the frost on his back. After hauling him up on the bank, I was too numb to do much with him. I wore Camo in my younger days, looks awful.

23-Apr-14

I probably came closest to dying on this moose hunt. This was my Canadian Moose and my guide kept losing his pants while trying to butcher my moose in the lake. I thought I was going to die laughing at him.

23-Apr-14
awesome pictures and stories! Thats what is so cool about pictures, you probably remember every one of those hunts like it was yesterday.

23-Apr-14
How/When did you get the float plane out?

BTW - do guides ever invite you back since you keep shooting moose in the water - 8^)

Like your first post says, the title could have been "It's Mental AND Physical".

23-Apr-14
You must have a million stories.

Being in the best shape possible gives me confidence that helps me to be mentally stronger/tougher.

I can be in as good of shape as possible but at the end of the hunt, it's likely the mental side of the hunt that will determine my success or failure.

23-Apr-14
So true Midwest.

Thx for the pics Bob

23-Apr-14
I couldn't agree more.....

23-Apr-14
Thanks for the stories. I could read those all day long. HUNT.

23-Apr-14
A great testament to a strong mind Bob. Keep the pictures coming!

23-Apr-14
Great pics! Love it

23-Apr-14
Great topic Bob......as I tell our two teenage girls....."Never lose control of your most valuable asset!"

Mark

23-Apr-14
Yep...Have had guys check out mentally way too early in the hunts on more than one occasion. Good reminder and thanks for the stories.

23-Apr-14
5 1/2 ft of snow? Did you guys take turns constantly shedding the snow off the tent for two days? That had to be incredible. At times like that you gotta be grateful for a hunting partner that doesn't repetitively hum an annoying tune.

Great pics.

23-Apr-14
On the airplane through the ice story, when we landed and where still moving everything was OK. But, once we stopped, the airplane fell through the ice. Water was pouring into the cockpit and sitting behind the pilot, I was thinking of how I was going to get out. I thought I'd have to go straight up through the canvas roof.

What we didn't realize was the landing gear was already sitting on the bottom of the lake where the plane sat; shallow lake.

This was back when there were still lots of caribou around Iliamna. Since we were paying the pilot by the hour for the flight, once I saw caribou, I told the pilot to set me down. We were probably only five miles out of Iliamna where this happened. The pilot walked back to the village and came back the next day on snow machine with my hunting buddy, a chainsaw winch, and a chainsaw.

Over the night more ice had formed around the plane, so it was now thick enough to hold the weight of us and the airplane. We cut the plane out of the ice and pulled it out with the winch. After breaking away ice, he flew the plane back to Iliamna and Roger and I hunted caribou.

23-Apr-14
wow. those are great pics and great pics are sometimes hard to remember to take.

23-Apr-14
IF the water was a couple inches deeper that Cub would have needed a complete engine tear down!! I would say he got lucky.

Cool pics and stories.

23-Apr-14
The Mtn Goat hunt in 5 1/2 feet of snow was indeed physically challenging. My partner and I were in great shape back then because we had been training all summer for the Matanuska Peak Challenge. I'll admit, fitness is what saved us on that hunt.

The second night of the snow storm we woke after being buried under snow. Both of us realized we were having a hard time breathing and we needed to dig out from under the weight of the snow. That happened several times during the night.

Once we realized we needed to get the heck off the mountain. We took turns digging our way through the snow. One of us would plow through for maybe ten yards before we were exhausted. We'd rest a minute and the other would plow through. We spent one more night in our mountain tent with soaking wet clothing from sweat.

Arrival at our base camp was two days later, but we were unable to find our tent because it had been crushed under the weight of the snow and was buried under 5 1/2 feet of snow. As bear precaution, we had hung a yellow bucket in a tree with our food and that was the only way we found the exact location of the tent.

We dug the tent out, fixed broken poles with duck tape, and lit a lantern. The lantern warmed the tent up and we were fine. We spent a couple more nights in that tent waiting for the airdrop of snowshoes.

The pilot told us how long we had to make the landing strip and we walked back for on snowshoes for a day making it solid enough for him to land. When he came back in the next morning and I talked with him on the radio, he said the landing strip looked good. I told him, if he gave us one more day, we'd have a control tower put in.

23-Apr-14
Good stuff... I love adventure... Ed F

23-Apr-14
I agree that at some point during most hunts, it becomes mental. Having said that, you got to have the physical ability to carry out what the mind wants to do. As I get older, the physical part gets tougher. Not sure how you train to get ready mentally. My approach has always been to push myself physically during preparation stage so the mind is familiar with discomfort and can push through the difficult times during a hunt. I would be interested in hearing how others prepare mentally for a hunt. I have met hunters on more than a few hunts who started out with a bow and quickly turned to the rifle when the going got tough.

23-Apr-14
Good stuff Bob, best of luck on your Az elk hunt

23-Apr-14
I love stories like this Bob, thanks for sharing. I remember the first elk I ever shot like it was yesterday. I was way back in some nasty country far from my vehicle. I had never killed anything larger than whitetailed deer before and apparently I had delusions of grandeur with how easy it would be to get an elk out of the woods. Well I was able to get on a herd and shot the largest cow out of the group on my antlerless tag. As soon as I walked up to her I knew I was in trouble. I was young, foolish man at this time and had no clue how to break an animal down in the field and pack it out. Well, long story short it was about 8 AM and by the time I got the last of her back to the truck it was the middle of the night. I was shot. There were a lot of times during that process that I wanted to quit or give up but mental toughness keeps you in the game. I learned more from that experience than any other in the woods. I learned that having hte right knowledge and the right gear sure makes your life a lot easier. I do credit my military training with keeping me mentally tough when situations call for it. I think that above all other things taught me how to keep driving on when the going gets tough.

23-Apr-14
Great stories and adventures.

23-Apr-14
Blacktail Bob, fantastic pics of your adventures!

Mad Trapper, I'm sure with your history of hunt success, you always go mentally prepared!

It helps mentally for me, to have simple goals. For any trip there are two goals that I find equally important....the first being obviously to have success in arrowing the target animal. But the second, equally important goal is enjoying every day of the hunt experience to the fullest, regardless of any kills. When I approach it that way, I'll always meet half my goals, at a minimum.

It probably helps to be totally infatuated with bowhunting. Meaning no matter how long or difficult a hunt, you can never get enough, and will never really want to go home. You'll be a little disappointed if you tag out early, cutting short your hunting days. And even if your tag stays un-punched past the last sunset, you'll still be grateful for each and every minute afield.

To me the above seems normal. If I didn't feel that way, I'd take up a different pastime, like coin collecting, or maybe needlepoint ;-)

Thanks again Bob....great topic !

23-Apr-14
MadTrapper- As far as mental prep, like you mentioned, probably comes with physical training. Develop the mindset to never quit, never give up never stop. When things hurt, find a level of hurt you can tolerate and learn live with it.

I am a distance runner. When things hurt and suck, common sense tells you to stop. Unfortunately the finish doesn't get any closer when you stop. So I learn to deal with it. My body finds a level of discomfort/equilibrium and I just live with it. Mile after mile, hour after hour. Currently in my training, I do back to back long runs on Sat and Sunday. Believe me, neither my body or mind want to run 18+ miles on Sunday after 20+ on Sat. But I don't give myself an option. Failure or not starting is not an option.

When packing meat, my mind comes up with songs or mantras which keep me moving. Maybe it is delirium. (Think Blutarski's motivational speech from "Animal House". IE When the German's bombed Pearl Harbor)

23-Apr-14
Very cool pics and stories. . .

I don't have nearly the level of experience that any other poster to this thread has, just having a handful of western hunts under my belt. . . . but my biggest problem has been pressure, that I've imposed on myself. Whether it's hunting at home, or on a trip

I'm trying to find that middle ground where I have the desire and the drive to work hard for success, while not putting so much pressure on myself to be successful that I lose some enjoyment. I'm way past the stage at home, of HAVING to fill a tag. But a trip that I've planned for, scrimped for, etc. is always different.

I feel like last year I found that sweet spot on my elk hunt. I was unsuccessful, but I had a lot of fun, put on a lot of miles and worked hard, it just didn't happen for me. The pressure wasn't there that I had to kill, as I've killed a couple elk, but I was still motivated to put everything I had into it. And I really just enjoyed getting out of the daily grind, into the mountains

I like Sticksender's two goals above, and that's the mindset I need to work on at times :)

Bake

23-Apr-14
Great pictures and great stories. Thanks for sharing!

23-Apr-14
Bob - How far did you have to wade through that snow to get back to base camp?

23-Apr-14
I too could sit and listen to these stories all day long... Bob is a machine... The stories that his hunting partner Roy told my wife and I a few weeks ago had us in tears several times. It seems like the guy just has no "quit" in him!

He told me the reason he shoots a Hoyt bow is because 99% of the time, he uses it as a walking stick and since it hasn't broken..... LOL! I believe that to be true.

If you ever get a chance to share a camp with Bob, do it. And, do your best to ask as many questions as possible early in the evening, his bed time is 7pm. LOL

Inspiring...

23-Apr-14
Mental for sure.... =D

Yeah Bob, regular couch potato.... I'd like to see what you considered great shape.... LOL!

Those pics and stories were awesome! When you're going through the trouble and pain they aren't so great, but after all is said and done and time separates events father and farther...kind of a sense of satisfaction and pride for having made it through that stuff. Never. Never, Ever, give up. Never quit.

Ties in well to that "choosing a hunting partner" thread. Simple. Chose Bob.

thanks again. too cool.

23-Apr-14
Great thread!

I was pondering this very thought of mental v. physical after watching Deadliest Catch last night. I think I could pass the mental test but physically cannot make the body do something it is not capable of doing. Your examples definitely prove that it is often mind over matter if the body is capable of the task.

23-Apr-14
Awesome stories Bob!

23-Apr-14
Legendary! Thanks for sharing these hunts Bob...few, if any, will ever have the chance to experience such things.

23-Apr-14
Great thread. Those are definitely some epic adventures. Probably just a good reminder for all you wily veterans of adventurous hunts out there. For those still learning the ropes, such as myself, this thread definitely puts some things into perspective.

I definitely agree that being mentally prepared is a must when you are in some of the more wild places, and sometimes even when you are not. The hard part is actually becoming mentally prepared. That trait is something that isn't easy to just study up on.

For some of these trips, I think looking one's self in the mirror and identifying whether or not you are up to the task is pretty critical. To a point though, I don't believe you can really know for sure until you experience it. Obviously Bob and folks that head out with him are pretty much up for most any challenge North America can throw at them. I'm pretty sure I would freak out with all that snow. From reading your story, it seems like there may have been more than a few who were in that exact same situation. That is just a scenario that I am really not used to, and have no experience with.

I surely appreciate you taking us along and showing us how hardcore things can get, and that they can be handled with the right preparation, skill, and mental toughness. I do have to say that I think completely ignoring the physical portion would be a mistake though.

23-Apr-14
Those photos and stories are simply priceless stuff! The one with the Cub belongs on one of those posters--"Think you're having a bad day?"

Only been on one hunt that was hairy, but I will never forget a minute of it and we still laugh about it and my boys eat up the story every time it is told.

Agree with the mental toughness v. Physical toughness, but they do often go hand in hand as our bodies can do so much more than we think, it is just a matter of using the mental edge to overcome.

Thanks for sharing, Bob!

23-Apr-14
Great thread

Bob, you should write a book.

23-Apr-14
Forget about the rest of this stuff...I'm still trying to get that plane out. I love a challenge and that one has me thinking.

23-Apr-14
Give a guy a hard way where he only has the hard way and he will respond or buckle...one of the two. That is more the makup of the individual in how he responds. Give a guy a hard way and an easy way and the easy way is always at arms length and see how he responds...mist will take the easy way. It takes mantal toughness to consistantly take the hard way...see Tred Barta.

23-Apr-14
Awesome -- super nice n thanks for sharing

23-Apr-14
Thanks for the compliments.

Nick,

Did Roy tell you about the time he crawled in the den with a brown bear? Roy takes mental toughness to a degree beyond sanity sometimes.

I was trying to emphasize that mental toughness and how you deal with physical challenges is, in my judgment, much more important than the fitness aspect. You do have to be fit too, but from my experience, its much more important to hang in there and stay with the hunt.

You can take a look at Roy and no one is going to select him as being the most physically fit guy in the room. He kills more game than anyone else because he is so damn mentally tough, he absolutely never quits.

I agree, guys with military training probably have an edge with this aspect of the hunt.

23-Apr-14
The difference between an adventure and an ordeal is attitude!! Good stuff Bob

24-Apr-14
Awesome stories and pics Bob, and share more as you can think of them. Better than any Outdoor Life issue!

24-Apr-14
Great thread Bob! Quote of the year........"I wore Camo in my younger days. Looks awful." LOL!

24-Apr-14
Anybody can do the easy hunts or easy times, but its the tough times and tough hunts that really define what and who you are! And its those tough times that end up making you what you will become!

I might add I never have known anyone as mentally tough as was my Mom. She will always be my No. 1 hero!

Have a great bow hunt. BB

24-Apr-14
Bob that CA moose has some wicked eye guards

24-Apr-14
I thought he was pretty cool looking with those big brow points and that's why I shot him on the first day of the hunt. Of course, I’ve always been a sucker for a good rack out front!!!

Interesting thing about that hunt was that, if I had shot him on the north end of the lake, he'd have been an Alaska-Yukon Moose. Since I shot him at the south end of the lake, he's a Canadian moose.

24-Apr-14
Very nice post if not one of the better ones I have read in a long time! Like someone else said ..you should really write a book! With all the pics and details of every hunt it would be one great read for sure. Bob.

25-Apr-14
*Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired. When you were younger the mind could make you dance all night, and the body was never tired…You’ve always got to make the mind take over and keep going.*

~ George S. Patton, U.S. Army General and 1912 Olympian

25-Apr-14
Great thread, Bob. Thanks for sharing with us.

25-Apr-14
For those who enjoy "adventure tales" with small aircraft, I'd recommend the book "Arctic Bush Pilot" which documents the adventures of pilot Andy Anderson in the Koyukuk River region during the early days of bush piloting services. Great read.

26-Apr-14
Excellent thread Bob!

26-Apr-14
"Did Roy tell you about the time he crawled in the den with a brown bear? Roy takes mental toughness to a degree beyond sanity sometimes"

I'd like to think that if I've got one thing going for me, it's grit, but I'm not crawling into a den with a brown bear. Go ahead and make fun of me for being a weenie.

26-Apr-14
Great thread, stories and comments here. THX for sharing. I could listen to these all day and night long.

26-Apr-14
For his own benefit, sometimes you have to have a lead on Roy. He never carries or uses a watch. He just hunts until its dark and then walks back in the dark. If you've both gone someplace in a boat, it means you'll be waiting in the dark sometimes a couple of hours for him to show up. Usually he'll have a dead animal on his back.

On a Kodiak hunt when Taylor his teenage son was with us, I made him buy a watch at Wal-Mart so the boy wouldn't have to wander around in the dark with his dad. Roy bought into the idea and bought a $5 watch, but he threw it away, or more likely lost it, soon after that hunt. Roy has a tendency to misplace things.

26-Apr-14
Great thread Bob, you seriously need to write a book about your adventures. Im sure it would sell great! Mike

26-Apr-14

kota-man's embedded Photo
Bob...I EARNED my Roy Roth Badge of Merritt last week.

We hunted hard and scored on day 6. I am black and blue from head to toe and ended up tearing my ACL and Miniscus.

Our hard work and persistnecy was rewarded with a 9 foot, 25 12/16's Brownie.

Roy is an unbelievable predator.

26-Apr-14
Great pictures!

26-Apr-14
Congrats on the bear, Kota. Sorry to hear about the knee. Heal quickly.

26-Apr-14
Cory,

Very cool, congratulations on the bear. I didn't know you were on that hunt. I'm sure you had a great time with Roy and Jonah.

Photo looks like Roy has continued on his weight loss program. If he keeps with it, we won’t be able to recognize him. I kind of feel sorry for Lee and Louis the City Hunter on their Mountain Goat hunts with the new and improved Roy.

26-Apr-14
THe conditions on this hunt made it VERY mentally taxing. Even after I tore up my knee, Roy pushed me beyond what I thought I was even capable of. Let's just say snowshoeing through alders with about 70 inches of soft snow was no picnic with a torn ACL. Neither was crawling about a mile through the same snow looking for this bear. But what a reward when we spotted this guy in a tree well at 48 yards.

I think a few weeks on the snow machine has burned some serious calories for Roy. For me, riding a snow machine all week was tougher than any sheep hunt or goat hunt I've been on...seriously. I've never been so sore or bruised in my life. Roy rides those things where a normal human being would not even consider riding. For his size, his conditioning amazes me.

What a great, timely thread Bob...

26-Apr-14
Cory,

I grew up in Upper Michigan riding snow machines. I've lived in Alaska since 1982 and have been riding snow machines most of that time. When I go with Roy he scares the hell out me!!!

26-Apr-14
This thread makes me smile.

Congrats again Cory!!

26-Apr-14

One day about mid-week, we ran into another guide and hunter on snow machine. This guide had WON the Iron Dog race in AK a few years ago. The Iron Dog trail apparently follows the same trail as the Iditirod through some crazy country at speeds topping 100 mph.

This guide looked at Roy and said "who the he!! has been riding up there" and pointed to the very top of an adjacent mountain cornice. Roy just smiled and said, "that was me"...The guide looked at him and said "you are one crazy SOB"... :}

In this picture I gave Roy a "8.5" as he didn't stick the landing. Had he stuck the landing, I would've given him a perfect "10" :) He did a perfect half twist, with his toes pointed perfectly upward as he exited the sled over the handle bars, body fully extended. I went over the handle bars three times one day in an hour, but didn't have the form Roy did...I usually just plowed through the windshield.

26-Apr-14
Haha!!! I love it!

26-Apr-14
Roy's sled in the photo above is about 3 months old. It looks like it's gone through WWIII already.

My first trip with Roy up there where you guys were hunting he had me going across a side hill. I wimped out and slowed down, without the momentum to keep going, I ended up tumbling down to the bottom of a crevasse. Roy told me, you have to keep on the throttle if you're going to make stuff like that.

Isn’t the country where you hunted breath taking? It leaves me in awe.

26-Apr-14
Roy kept telling me "momemtum is your friend Cory"...The country is breathtaking. In fact when we were "up top" I felt like I was on a Polar Bear hunt in the Arctic.

The first time I saw Roy's sled, I would've guessed it is at least ten years old. When he told me in was only a few months old, I couldn't believe it. The thing is trashed. He had a couple bad rollovers on the trip. One, he was follwoing a bear track up to the very top of a mountain cornice. It ended up being so steep the sled actually flipped over backwards and pinned him underneath it. He said he thought he was going to have to "chew his leg off" to get out of that predicament. He was able to reach his tree pruners and dug himself out with the handle. The stories from this week never end.

To top the week off, flying out with Jonah, he noticed one of his new wheel skis didn't tip up after take off. Prior to landing back in Wasilla, he had me hang me head out the window of the plane and push down the back of the ski with a ski pole I had at about 2000 feet. I held the pole and pushed down on the ski in mid flight and it popped right up! Hard to say what we would've done without that ski pole.

26-Apr-14

Here's a few scenry pics from up there...The first here is one with Mt. McKinley in the background...There was a bear den on the mountain on the right side of this picture.

26-Apr-14

Here's one from "up top". Roy road to the top of the mountain that is cut off on the right side of the picture.

26-Apr-14

Here's a shot of where I shot my bear. The bear was laying under the centered t spruce tree away from the two trees together. Note the thick alders. At this point we had crawled about a mile looking for this bear. We ended up crawling within 48 yards of the bedded bear.

26-Apr-14
Great pics and story! Keep 'em coming please.

26-Apr-14
Awesome shots. Congrats on a great bear.

26-Apr-14

OK...Here's a couple more: Our "base" camp for the week. I say base camp because on two occasions we never made it back to camp and ended up staying in Roys Trapper's Cabin one night and a friends cabin one night. Roy's "trapper's cabin" was interesting. Upon arrival, I noticed a hole in the back wall of the cabin about 6 feet x 4 feet. I asked Roy what the deal was and he said he was up trapping this winter and one night it was 40 below, so in order for the snow machine to run, he just cut a hole in the side of the cabin with a chain saw and drove the snow machine in for the night so he could park by the warm woodstove. Only Roy....

26-Apr-14
It doesn't get much better. I'm in tears reading your hunt recap Cory! Laughing... Sounds like it was one heck of a bear hunt.

26-Apr-14

Back Country knee brace. Foam and Duct Tape.

26-Apr-14

"just hang out the window with your trekking pole, and push down on that ski"...

26-Apr-14

My whole body is one giant bruise...I promise, no more "body part" pics...

26-Apr-14

Bathroom with a view...

26-Apr-14

one more "let's take a selfie"...

27-Apr-14
Kota Man... Those are some nasty bruises, looks like Roy tackled you a few times!

That is a hunt you will always remember.

27-Apr-14
Wow, great thread.

27-Apr-14
Blacktail Bob,

Great thread and great stories!

"I think its great that folks work out and get into shape, but you need to prepare mentally."

Agreed! Mental toughness is an important part of being in Sheep Shape.

I would also point out that the better shape you're in physically, the easier it is for you to be mentally tough.

27-Apr-14
I like the knee brace. Nothing like duct tape manscaping.

28-Apr-14
Bob,

Is that Lon with you manning the oar boat?

Also remember I was a professional white water raft guide for 7 years. If you ever need any services feel free to include me on a hunt (wink, wink)

28-Apr-14
Awesome stories

28-Apr-14
Kelly,

I think you meant Lon?

No, that is Roger, Lon was taking the photo from on top the canyon wall. After we made it through, Lon had to raft through by himself in a much smaller raft. As I recall, he looked like a cork being flushed down a toilet.

28-Apr-14
LOL Sorry typing with a cast on your hand makes for lots and lots of mispellings

28-Apr-14
Now I have another person I would love to share a camp with. Blacktail Bob! Might not get a lot of hunting done since I would be listening to stories all the time. Or, I would need to lengthen the trip far a few days to account for story time. Lol

28-Apr-14
Kota-man congrats on the bear and adventures with Roy, he sounds like a real character! I could listen all day to stories of guys pushing it to the limit! Bob any others that come to mind please do share.

28-Apr-14
Awesome post Bob - we could use more like these.. The stories and pics are great! (especially love the snowshoes having to pack down a landing strip - priceless)

• Sitka Gear