TSI 23-Apr-14
spike buck 23-Apr-14
TSI 23-Apr-14
TSI 23-Apr-14
petedrummond 23-Apr-14
Rob Nye 23-Apr-14
TSI 24-Apr-14
23-Apr-14
Ontario biologists state that there is an estimated 25,000 bear cubs born each winter. Of that an estimated 10,000 will die due to NATURAL CAUSES.

Also the animal alliance says 250 bear cubs could be orphaned by hunters in Ontario with a spring hunt.

The BIOLOGISTS state that the Animal Alliance is WRONG because that was a conclusion (250) the government came to ONLY if "THERE WAS NO LAW PUT INTO PLACE TO PROTECT THE LACTATING FEMALES".

Ontario actually have laws protecting the lactating females with high fines. so the information animal alliance is using is false info.

23-Apr-14

stick slinger's embedded Photo
stick slinger's embedded Photo
This was from a few years ago. I had to wonder how many cubs fall out of trees. These were a long way up eating poplar buds. I guess falling to your death would be considered natural cause, eh.

23-Apr-14
Natural causes being killed by a boar during mating season, malnutrition.

Mother not being around because she was killed as a nuisance bear.

Maybe being killed by a wolf, falling out of trees or just being abandoned by the mother for some reason or other. Such as the mother bear abandoning her den in the winter because of logging operations.

23-Apr-14
Number one killer of cubs here is Boars and Skidders.Natural causes here is low low,survival rate is very high with the same protection of sows and lack of wolves.Im sure coyotes may take a few and lynx and bobcats get a few early but we are told NB has one of the highest cub survival rates at 2.2 per sow.

23-Apr-14
Ontario government bear biologists orphan bear cubs.

I saw an Ontario TV show about bears here a couple of years back. It was about 3 biologist that found the den of a radioed collared female bear.

Once they tranquilized the bear they crawled in the den to find out it was accompanied by 3 cubs. This was in March.

They pulled the lactating female out of the den and studied the bear. All of a sudden the female bear went into distress. They put her back into the den hoping for the best. Her chance of survival after this trauma was low according to the biologist.

I brought this matter to our local MNR office and they said Government can get away with it!!

23-Apr-14
anytime an animal is tranquilised its 50/50.but the lactateing female will pass the drug to the cubs as well.gettin the dose right is very hard.

23-Apr-14
anytime an animal is tranquilised its 50/50.but the lactateing female will pass the drug to the cubs as well.gettin the dose right is very hard.

23-Apr-14
The paradox is the more boars you kill the more bears you get!

23-Apr-14
Th scariest black bear I encountered was a medium-size sow with 4 cubs. She was one GRUMPY Mom. The whole works were pretty thin, always wondered how many of those cubs grew up.

24-Apr-14
Cub survival rates will vary widely,factors like predator abundance,and food availability for the sows and cubs.Older sows have more cubs-and older moms are better moms in any species.Nature has a good solution for this -usually a sow will have one cub for her first time and litters will improove in sise as she ages and is better able to supply herself and defend and feed her young.I have seen sows with 5 cubs before and multiple times seen sows with 4 yearlings,in all cases the sow was unusually large and very well conditioned.

• Sitka Gear