Outdoorsdude 24-Apr-14
huntingbob 24-Apr-14
Mountain.Blade 24-Apr-14
wilhille 25-Apr-14
Solitude 26-Apr-14
Mule Power 26-Apr-14
SdDiamondArcher 28-Apr-14
24-Apr-14
I am in the market for a spotting scope, and just not sure what size to get. I will be hunting in Wyoming, and using it for elk, deer, and shed antlers. I initially thought I would need a 20-60x80, but I got to thinking about it, and that might be a really big spotting scope to haul around the mountains in my pack. Would a 15-45x60 do the job just fine? Just curious to know what size everybody else lugs around the hills with them.

24-Apr-14
I used to have a Leice televid 77 and am certainly glad I switched over to their smaller/lighter model. I put them side-by-side and they were pretty close...even in low light conditions. Another consideration that adds weight/bulk is your tripod. If you can afford one, a carbon fiber is the way to go. I have a Gitzo traveler that is a fraction of the size and bulk of others.

24-Apr-14
I like having both a bigger 20-60 x 65 and a smaller 13-30 x 50 scope. Both have their place depending on the animal being hunted and/or how far you are able to glass. Excellent binoculars are where you first spend your money though as you end up using them a lot more than the the spotting scope in my experience. My eye chart testing showed my 10x Swaro binos where as effective as a lesser quality 20x spotting scope, both on a tripod for the tests. That said the larger Swaro spotting scope is just amazing but more of a load to pack.

24-Apr-14
I'm also considering a scope...but given I'm planning to buy a new bow, wanting to save some coin...is there any mileage in a tripod adapter for my 10x42 Swaros?

24-Apr-14
SdDiamond- I seldom carry a spotter on backpack archery hunts, but when I truly need to, it's an 80mm Swaro with a carbon tripod. Since I'll already have 10x42 binos around my neck, I prefer my spotter to have significantly bigger glass. The larger objective lens makes a world of difference in low light situations. If minimal pack weight is critical, I'll go without something else to allow for the additional weight of the bigger scope.

24-Apr-14
I use a good pair of binoculars and the Swarovski 65mm scope. I spend about 1/3 of each day behind the scope - usually dawn till they bed.

I haven't heard of many people liking the doubler.

24-Apr-14
I rarely carry my spotting scope in my pack on elk hunts, don't want the extra weight and we haven't done a lot of long range glassing in the past. Our area has a lot of tree cover. I'm pretty happy with just carrying my 10x42 binos for that.

I did carry my scope all the time on my mountain goat hunt, gotta have one there. My scope is a Bushnell Elite 15-45x60. Certainly not top shelf but I like it well enough, and it's pretty light.

24-Apr-14
Had a Nikon 20-60x 60mm scope. I never took it with me because I thought it was just to big and I didnt want the extra weight. I just sold it and got a Vortex 11-33x 50mm. I think I will take this with me on most my hunts now.

24-Apr-14
I've got a Nikon 20-60x as well, but's for sheep and deer hunting. I can't see why I'd need a scope for an elk hunt. My Leica 15x56 Geovids are more than enough glass for me.

24-Apr-14
A lot depends on the type of country you hunt and if you are being picky. Obviously if you hunt thick trees a spotting scope isn't going to do you much good. I tend to hunt open country where a spotting scope saves me miles of hiking and spooking elk. I use my binos for spotting some of the easier bulls out in the open but with my spotting scope I can scan the trees and brush to spot an antler, ear, or part of an elk up to a mile or 2 away.

I generally am picky with bulls and can usually judge them from a mile+ away with spotting scope but need to be within around 400 yards to do the same with 10x binos. This has saved me miles of hiking plus the frustration of spooking elk!

24-Apr-14
If I use one; it's a Brunton 20-45x62. Great for sheep, goats and deer; have never used it for elk.

24-Apr-14
I use one of the big ones. 20-70x82. Do not like the weight but like what I can see with it. Just bought it this winter replacing a similar sized but less expensive one. Bob.

24-Apr-14
Swaro ATX 65/85.

25-Apr-14
I am sure I would love to use one, but I simply can't. So instead I use 15x56 binos and love em...... sorry I can't help but maybe a good pair of binos will do the trick

26-Apr-14
Carry the Leupy 20-40x60mm. I am not a trophy hunter, but I would not settle for anything less. I REALLY enjoy dialing in on the bulls and checking them out.

Most every year I wish I had a 20-60x65mm top end glass as I always find myself wanting to "get even closer", but I am having a tough time justifying dropping the $2k. I guess it comes down to if you are simply looking for a legal animal to put a stock on or wanting to really get intimant with the quarry before you pull up and start the often several hour stock on them. Personally, a crystal clear image etched in my mind goes a long way vs a fuzzy ? But that is just me.....

PS-IMO you really have to be a spotting officionado and/or digi-scoper to appreciate the difference between a 65mm and 80mm scope.

26-Apr-14
Depends on what exactly you are wanting to see. If you just want to spot elk bodies that's one thing. If you want to confirm that they at least have antlers a few miles away that's another. If you are concerned with the size of the antlers that is yet another.

I've used the Swaro 20-60 by 80 and tried cranking it up higher, especially when looking for mulie bucks, only to find it was already maxed out.

Snow obviously makes a big difference in what you need too. Bow only means no snow so a bigger scope.

There are only a couple things I carry that I consider a necessary evil: My Swaro 20-60X80 is one of them. Prior to buying it I had used them all and there was no question I didn't want to shave off some weight and carry ANYTHING that left me wishing I had something better. A good pair of binos replaces those lesser spotters.

A spotting scope isn't a purchase... at the price you'll pay it's an investment. get the big boy! Once you have it set I promise you that you won't regret buying or carrying it.

28-Apr-14
I ended up getting a smoking deal (at least, I think so anyway) on a Vortex Viper 15-45x65, so I pulled the trigger on it. It was a store demo and I got it for 350. It is the non-hd version, but I have heard that only makes a big difference when it comes to digiscoping. I have never shot a bull elk, or a mule deer, so I am far from a trophy hunter. I just want to be able to get a better look at some animals after I find them with my 10x42s. I might head out this weekend just to try and find some animals to look at. Seems like a solid scope.

• Sitka Gear