Mathews Inc.
Slam-Should all your mount be identical?
Turkey
Contributors to this thread:
Alabowma 24-Apr-14
bradbear 24-Apr-14
GhostBird 24-Apr-14
Alabowma 24-Apr-14
Alabowma 24-Apr-14
Duke 24-Apr-14
writer 24-Apr-14
writer 24-Apr-14
gobbler 24-Apr-14
Vids 24-Apr-14
Alabowma 24-Apr-14
ridgerunnerron 24-Apr-14
Saxton 24-Apr-14
jims 24-Apr-14
Shrewski 24-Apr-14
skullz 24-Apr-14
Alabowma 24-Apr-14
skullz 25-Apr-14
bradbear 25-Apr-14
loprofile 25-Apr-14
Medicinemann 25-Apr-14
R. Hale 25-Apr-14
Shrewski 25-Apr-14
Alabowma 03-Apr-15
Hawkeye 03-Apr-15
writer 03-Apr-15
KSMike 05-Apr-15
Jim McNamara 05-Apr-15
jims 06-Apr-15
BO-N-ARO 06-Apr-15
Alabowma 06-Apr-15
glass eye 06-Apr-15
glass eye 06-Apr-15
Alabowma 06-Apr-15
Alabowma 07-Apr-15
glass eye 07-Apr-15
glass eye 07-Apr-15
Alabowma 07-Apr-15
glass eye 07-Apr-15
Alabowma 07-Apr-15
glass eye 07-Apr-15
24-Apr-14

Alabowma's embedded Photo
Hey guys,

Just curious to get everyone's opinion. I am working on the Grand Slam and I was wondering everyone's thoughts on mounting your birds. I have my Eastern already, which is in full strut. I saw a thread about turkey mounts and that's what spurred my interest for this thread.

Would you all mount your birds the same or have different poses?

Thanks!

24-Apr-14
Do what ever you like. Mine are all the same, the pyramid in the other thread. I really like my mount and full strut mounts........but I also like most of the other poses!! no correct answer for this a variety can sure be neat. I personally would focus on the birds with more "color" in mounts that shows that. i would want my Gould's in full strut or some way that showcases its white in the fan and the eye lashes in its secondary fethers

24-Apr-14
I would mount them all different. Have a full strut, half strut-head up, half strut gobbling, and a standing alert... or maybe forgo the standing mount and have two in full strut.

24-Apr-14
I am going to New Mexico, Colorado and Texas next in two weeks. If I am lucky enough to kill a Merriams, I want to mount him in full strut to show off this feathers. If I am lucky enough to kill a Rio, I am thinking about having him in half strut. So they wouldn't be too different but not exactly this same either.

Just got to kill them and figure out how to pay for them!

24-Apr-14
Bradbear,

I really like your pyramid in that thread. I like that all are the same and that it looks like you have different habitat for each. I like the idea about showing off the colors of each mount. I like the idea of having each on pedestals as well.

24-Apr-14
Certainly the answer to this is in the eye of the bow holder... 100% your preference. Who says the birds even have to be mounted? Don't get caught up in the hype. Do what you want.

24-Apr-14
Ours are all different. One is by daughters's, one is my son's and the other two are mine, though we've all slammed.

That's just us, though. A buddy has all four on a section of tree that's in his trophy room. Pretty cool stuff.

Have fun, that's an enjoyable goal to reach.

24-Apr-14
Ours are all different. One is by daughters's, one is my son's and the other two are mine, though we've all slammed.

That's just us, though. A buddy has all four on a section of tree that's in his trophy room. Pretty cool stuff.

Have fun, that's an enjoyable goal to reach.

24-Apr-14
Do you like chicken for every meal? I like variety. All mine are different poses. Each one may have a unique feature you want to show off. One of my Rios has 3 beards so I had him mounted in a position to show that off. Osceolas have the long legs and long sharp spurs so my 2 are in a pose to show that. Merriams have beautiful tail fan so show that off. Try to mount them to show their unique features.

24-Apr-14
Another vote for making them different. I don't have any full turkey mounts, but I certainly wouldn't want all my big game heads the same.

What I do is have them posed in a way that reminds me of the hunt, try to make each a little unique to something the animal did when I saw it.

24-Apr-14
That's sounds like a great idea Vids....

I may try doing them all in some sort of strut but make them unique (half strut, 3/4 strut, gobbling, etc.)

I think the strut screams wild turkey during the season.

24-Apr-14
I like them all different...and gobbler's thoughts are spot on.

24-Apr-14
I have an Eastern on roost. a Merriams in full strut. a Rio in full strut

when I get my Oceola, I believe I will either get him in strut or just standing allert,

24-Apr-14
Although a different species I don't see many sheep slams where all of the mounts are the same? I would think it would be nice to somehow present each particular turkey so it's particular colors, feathers showcase the differences in each...ie. the white tail feathers on a merriams, etc. You could also add vegetation, rocks, etc to the mounts that are typical for the area where each bird was harvested. You could also add frame photos of each and/or a photo of the country where they were harvested.

24-Apr-14
I have a Merriams and Eastern strutting both displaying towards a center opening where my AZ Goulds will stand in full strut. I have a big Rio flyin on the wall behind them. My Osceola will be on the roost in a half strut. Can't wait to finish that area; have an. Osceola hunt booked for 2015!

24-Apr-14
I think all different! The same would be cool but variety always looks the best to me..... Question for you serious turkey hunters? I've killed a lot of merriams, Rios and easterns..... I'm not a big turkey guy just do it because it passes time in the spring and I have access to some great spots and have no desire to go to Florida just to hunt turkeys however if I'm fishing and get a chance I would hunt them there. My question is, is a Gould's necessary for the slam? If so do you need an oselated bird as well? I always thought just the four were considered a slam?

24-Apr-14
The Grand Slam is the Rio, Merriam, Eastern and Osceola. The Royal Slam is all of those plus the Goulds. The World Slam includes all of those plus the Oselated (sp?) in the southern mexico.

25-Apr-14
Gotcha! That's what I thought just wasn't sure...... Well I guess I'll probably live my life out as a 3/4 turkey slammer!

25-Apr-14
See, my mount falls in the minority! Don't get me wrong I have lots of ideas for different mounts. Of course my very small house and my pocket book get in the way of my ideas. I told my taxi that his next competition mount should be the slam from progression of out of strut to full strut. He thinks it would take way to much time when he should be doing work for customers. I like some many different ways to mount them, key is make sure the taxi is real good as bad turkey mounts look almost as bad as bad cat mounts.

25-Apr-14
I would have them all showing submission to the greatest of them all - the Eastern.

25-Apr-14
I had all of mine done in full strut. That way, when placed side by side, I can point out the differences on a species by species basis to interested people. There really is no wrong answer....

25-Apr-14
If you cook them all the same, you will have gotten the best of it. :)

25-Apr-14

Shrewski's embedded Photo
Shrewski's embedded Photo
So far. Goulds will go in the center in strut and the Osceola on one side or the other on a limb 1/2 strut.

03-Apr-15
I'm getting my Osceola mounted in full strut just like my other two!!

03-Apr-15
Different is my vote but definitely would look rhe same too.

03-Apr-15
We've gotten them mounted to show off their strengths.

Merriams in strut for the colors on the saddle feathers.

Son's Rio with 12 5/8" beard gobbling from a limb so the rope hangs.

Osceola in a strut to see the primary feathers and color differences, but facing the room so the wicked hooks can be seen.

Flying is my least favorite by far because I don't hunt them that way. But, that's me.

If I ever got another mounted, it would be an old bird with super-hooks, hanging from a limb by his spurs. I've never seen that one.

05-Apr-15
All of mine are full strut except for my Goulds which is a bearded hen. (Long story, shot her on the 5th morning of a 4 day hunt.) i also have a hybrid bird mounted in flight which I have just always thought is a really cool pose...

05-Apr-15
Find someone very good with Turkeys and let them give you something both different and interesting . to me looking at strut birds is just boring. One is fine but why not mix it up. There are so many variables that it shouldn't be too hard to find some neat poses. Play the memory banks back and see what might stand out from your hunting experiences. Google turkeys and look around till a pose catches your attention. Enjoy the journey.Jim

06-Apr-15
Not many have mentioned turkey flight mounts but they certainly look great and show off the detail of the different colored feathers. The fan is also displayed very well and different than a strut.

06-Apr-15
For me, I would have a strutter, a flyer, one standing and either on gobbling or even a dead mount. They would make a nice collage and with framed field photos it would make a nice display. Good luck on your pursuit.

06-Apr-15

I have my eastern and merriam strutting on a piece of wood for a table mount. I'm going to have my Osceola strutting on a limb to hang on the wall.

06-Apr-15

glass eye's embedded Photo
I like to make habitat and base work to match the region. My ocellated has a ziricote hardwood base that comes from the same jungle.

06-Apr-15

When I do my Gould's I will do it similar to my javelinas.

06-Apr-15
Both are awesome!!

07-Apr-15
Glass eye where did you get your ocellated?

07-Apr-15

Campeche Mexico

07-Apr-15
Campeche Mexico https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOi7EMlhDQ4

07-Apr-15
Did you use an outfitter?

07-Apr-15
Mexico does not allow foreigners to hunt DIY, by law you must hire a registered outfitter.

07-Apr-15
Who did you go with on the hunt? Who was the outfitter? You can PM me if need be.

07-Apr-15
pm sent

• Sitka Gear