Thornton 24-Apr-14
Aaron Johnson 24-Apr-14
writer 24-Apr-14
sitO 24-Apr-14
PeroteHunter 25-Apr-14
BigAl 25-Apr-14
bradbear 25-Apr-14
24-Apr-14
Has anyone hunted with the Kelso's in Kansas - I booked our hunt through Cabela's, but see that they are also listed through BSC's? We are doing a Rio hunt next weekend, I think that I have all of the info nailed down, but if anyone has been and can give me any tips through your experiences I would appreciate it -

24-Apr-14
I haven't hunted with them, but I've talked with others who have.

Nothing but good reports, so far.

Bird numbers should be pretty good in their Rio areas.

24-Apr-14
Where exactly are the "Rio's" in KS Mike? LOL

24-Apr-14
Most of Kansas is listed as a Rio state according to NWTF. Beats sitting over a corn feeder in Texas I suppose.

http://www.nwtf.org/for_hunters/all_about_turkeys.html

http://www.nwtf.org/conservation/bulletins/bulletin_3_9-9-09.pdf

24-Apr-14
As soon as you cross into Nebraska, the turkeys know the state line, they turn into hybrids.

Looks like they are out of mulberry, so I am not sure where their Rio ground is. The numbers were fine in the norton and phillips county area.

24-Apr-14
I have heard only good things as well.

24-Apr-14
You'll be hard pressed to find a "true Rio" in KS...amusing how many "outfitters" claim to have them though.

24-Apr-14
Kyle- What do we have then? Most of the ones I have shot were what the biologist Rick Tush said were Rios. I've shot a few Easterns and one I was almost positive was a Merriam.

24-Apr-14
Kyle would like info on that TX hunt. He's a "sit over the feeder" kind of guy. ;^)

24-Apr-14
Thanks, Kyle, I was hoping you'd forgotten that big button that's too easily pushed. Since you didn't, here goes... :-)

Most birds in Kansas are hybrids of Rio and Eastern, of varying degrees.

The state and guides say they're Rios because it gets people to come in from out of state to shoot a bird for their Slam. Actually, in cases of possible hybirds NWTF tells you to pick the sub-species the bird most resembles...just make sure the money you send in to register the bird is green. :-)

Funny how Kansas birds looks have changed through the years, and the "Rios" of Kansas look less and less like what i've shot in west Texas, or what we shot in western Kansas 25-30 years ago.

Ditto easterns in some areas. My second bird this year was shot in LInn County, an area that was originally stocked with Easterns, and the bird looked just like the hybrids we've been killing in Butler, Chase, Greenwood, Elk and a few other counties.

The further west you go, the better the chances of purity but easterns were even released in some areas in central and western Kansas years ago to try to bolster populations.

The idea of shooting an eastern and a Rio in the same area just ain't happening if you're logical. Once they start hybridizing, you don't know what you have.

Too many people try to gauge what they have by the tips of the fan feathers, which is never a good indicator. We've had Osceola's with lighter fan tips, and Merriam's that were dark.

The feather tips on the "saddle" are a better indication, but even that's not a guarantee. Look at any brood in the fall and you'll see differences in birds that are clutch-mates. In Chase County a few years ago it looked like I had three-quarters of a Grand Slam walk by my tree...and they were all poults following one hen.

Really, the whole Grand Slam is much ado about very little. A turkey is a turkey is a turkey, and things like the thickness of the habitat, hunting pressure and the breeding cycle have more to do with behavior than genetics. I've had hunts for Osceola's and 'Bama easterns about as easy as any and got my butt kicked by mountain Merriam's in New Mexico several times, though usually it's the opposite.

I think hunting the four different habitats gives a better feel for American turkey hunting.

Go kill a bird in the swamps of the southeast, shoot another on the semi-arid grasslands of Texas, Oklahoma or Kansas and you have your Osceola and Rio experiences.

Kill another bird in the big woods of the Ozarks, Arkansas, Mississippi or Alabama and you have a classic eastern experience. Ditto for working the steep ponderosa pine country of the Rockies for a "Merriam's."

Go hunt them, enjoy them, and don't worry about their family tree.

Kyle...don't do that again, please!

24-Apr-14

sitO's Link
The truth will set you free Mike!

Here's a link that basically supports Mike's statements above. I believe there are pockets of "pure" Easterns & Rio's left, but it's merely speculation. Heck there may even be "pure" Merriam's in the far SW...but the overwhelming majority are hybrids.

Mike's comment on the Outfitters and their "speel" is spot on.

We both agree that you should go hunt them...have fun...and not dwell on the "Slam".

25-Apr-14
Thanks for that info on the pure Merriam's in the far SW - I am going to stand near that area and hope to get a Merriam/Rio/Eastern Hybrid - I already have an Osceola and an Osceola/Eastern hybrid - maybe I can get the Gould's/Rio/Merriam hybrid next year and complete my hybrid slam - I am working on breeding a peacock with an Eastern to try and create a tourist species in the swamps of Alabama that is not as dangerous as traveling to Mexico - plus they walk right up to you and eat the corn out of your hand, you just wring their neck and slap them up against a tree to finish them off.

Seriously, like Mike said, this is about taking my two son's to a different place to have a different kind of hunting experience - whatever the quarry, it's an experience they probably won't forget -

25-Apr-14
Writer, a few posts above, pretty much tells it like it is. I've gotten a number of birds in Kansas and some have looked like pure eastern and some have looked pure Rio. I'm relatively sure they were all hybrids. The ones I've gotten in the north-central part of the state looked Rio but I know for a fact that some easterns were released in that area years ago. A few years ago I called in a pair of two-year olds and shot them both (legal). I'm pretty sure they were siblings...one looked eastern, the other Rio based upon feather coloration.

25-Apr-14

bradbear's embedded Photo
bradbear's embedded Photo
here are 2 shot out of a group of three in ks and you can sure see the difference. This was around Salina. Most look more Rio. When I did my single season muzz slam last year some of the Merriams looked more rio and some more merriams.

• Sitka Gear