Mule Power 27-Apr-14
tjsna 27-Apr-14
ElkCrazy 27-Apr-14
Raghorn 27-Apr-14
txhunter58 27-Apr-14
Blakes 28-Apr-14
TD 28-Apr-14
24-Apr-14
What is better for bear and elk hunting in the mountains? I am trying to decide on what power optics to buy.

Thanks

24-Apr-14
I am a big fan of 10x for the mountains that I hunt. It is more of a question of how far you are trying to glass and how much detail you want to be able to see. Where I hunt is very open country and I am sometimes glassing things that are miles away. With a 10x bino, I can easily find elk in open country and usually tell if I am looking at a bull or a cow, but I can't really tell how big of a bull I am looking at until I get closer. If I wanted any level of detail at that range, I would need a top-end spotting scope.

8x would have an advantage in more heavily timbered areas where you are only glassing a few hundred yards, as you can get a bigger field of view and I believe that they are brighter at dawn and dusk with the same sized exit pupil.

For me personally, I have a hard time holding anything higher than 10x steady.

24-Apr-14

24-Apr-14
I prefer 10X

24-Apr-14
10X

24-Apr-14
Did fine for years with 8X but switched to good 10X last year and I will never go back!!

24-Apr-14
IMO, 8X binos are for in-woods viewing (as in, trees overhead).

Spotting game in the mountains requires something stronger.

24-Apr-14
I use the swaro range in 8X for general glassing. When I'm judging sheep,goats, and elk I use a Swaro ATX 85/65. In terrain such as Mountains, the spotter is what you will use to make the final evaluation of trophy quality !

24-Apr-14
I use 10X on all my hunts from whitetail, muley, elk etc. Where I hunt elk there really isn't a need for a spotter.

24-Apr-14
I'd really like to recommend a set of 15's on a tripod and a set of 8's for the neck, but if you are limited to one set, I'd go with 10x with a tripod adapter and lightweight pod.

24-Apr-14
I rather have 10X

24-Apr-14
Same as mountain.blade, 8x Swarovski binocs and 65 Swarovski spotter. The biggest difference between the 8 and 10 is the field of view, well except the much lower weight with the 8x.

Do yourself a favor and compare the 8 and 10 side by side outdoors before dark. Barely noticeable except the slightly different field of view.

Usually for me, 8x on a sheep bowhunt is enough, I can tell if it is something I would arrow or not. The spotter is not needed.

24-Apr-14
If equal quality, 10x.

If you are watching your nickels, quality trumps magnification so get the higher quality 8x at the same price.

24-Apr-14
I was a 10x guy for years...the stronger optics were always better IMO.

I just went to an 8x bino and love it. I can hold with one hand, its lighter- though anything is lighter than the Geovids. The smaller bino is better in every situation EXCEPT sitting and glassing long distance. For everything else, I like the 8x.

24-Apr-14
Glacier pretty much hit the nail on the head. Depends on the country you hunt. My preference is 10x binos with a spotting scope. The majority of my hunting is in open country. It also helps somewhat with field judging having the extra power. Some of the guys that coues hunt swear by 15 or 20x binos for spotting game at long range but my preference is something I can handhold while still hunting and a spotting scope for locating game at long range plus being able to field judge at long distances. I often find myself sitting down while using my 10x binos...especially in wind and with a pack on my back. It's easier on the eyes and easier to detect movement.

25-Apr-14
Thanks for the feedback. I moved to Colorado from Illinois and have Never hunted mountains. I don't know what I need but I am looking at the vortex viper hds based on all that I have read on here. Now I just dont know what power. I am not a trophy hunter for elk or bear, any animal will do. I just want to be able to spot them.

Thanks again,

Ryan

25-Apr-14
Colorado 10x. Deep woods 8x. Have 10x Swaros and am probably that brand for life. My next pair will be 8x, cause when you're in timber you want field of view and light gathering, and 8x are a bit lighter which is nice. A good bit of glassing in the Rockies is trying to pick out details at a distance, and you'll want all the magnification/clarity you can carry/afford.

25-Apr-14
10x50 around my neck----

15x56 on my tripod....

Enjoy whatever ya decide.

Good luck, Robb

25-Apr-14
So if I go with the 10x, do I get the 10x42 or 10x50?

25-Apr-14
Love my 8.5 Swaro Binos and 20-60x65 HD Swaro spotter. Never feel "under gunned" even in big country with the 8.5's. Obviously the spotter is needed for extreme range confirmation. I am a fan of the 15x binos too but that's more of a niche kind of hunting that I don't get to do every week.

25-Apr-14
10x50 will help you in low light, but they're bulkier and heavier.

I battled the same question and you can answer it yourself like I did: Go somewhere that has both, hold them, and decide if it's worth it to lug that around your neck.

Weekender, I think you're correct in your assessment of 15s. I think that "niche" is spotting deer in open country. Unfortunately for me, my eyes are too close together for 15s. It's ok, I miss deer with 8s and 10s like a champ.

26-Apr-14
Love my 10x42 Vortex set, the 8x live in my truck now...

27-Apr-14
Mountains... 10X!

The only reason I'd recommend the 8s is if you knew for sure you were going to spend virtually all of your time still hunting in the timber. For that they would be the tool for the job.

27-Apr-14
Can some one give me a review on the 10 x 50 Steiner military/marine binos.

Can't afford swaro or Leica's so don't need any info on them.

To answer the initial question stronger the better as it will save you a lot of walking to get closer to judge an animal.

Personally ran into just such a scenario seen a mule deer buck across a valley and was contemplating getting closer for a better view(two hour hike)when a friend of mine came by with better optics (Leica's)and showed me there was no need to go after that small buck.

27-Apr-14
As so many others have said I use 10 for open country. For timber I just rely on my 6x rangefinder for optics. The steiners are fine but for elk i prefer more compact lighter weight. Love my vortex and great cust service.

27-Apr-14
I think you will find most people will recommend 10X. I’m an 8X guy myself.

Depends a lot on how you actually use them the most. To get comfortable and “Glass” for five minuets or more, the 10X will serve you better. I tend to cover ground with binos on my chest, and raise them often for a few seconds to a minuet at a time, just getting a “better look”,. Besides, I’m old, fat and shakey. For me, 10X are too hard to hold still under these conditions. 8X is steady as a rock. When I have time to stop, the 8X will do almost as well as 10s, and If I’m sitting for more than a few minuets, I have tri-pod mounted 15s that get the call.

27-Apr-14
I have both an 8x42 and a 10 x 42. I use the 8x 95% of the time

I think the 8.5 Swaros HD would be ideal. If I ever find a killer deal on one........

28-Apr-14
I use 8.5X42 and think they are perfect. I prefer the wider FOV and being able to pick things out when I am still hunting through thick timber to seeing a long way. I'm not a trophy hunter so I don't bother carrying a spotting scope for miles on end.

28-Apr-14
8.5 actually...

I hunt in the wind and use a fair amount standing sometimes one handed. 8 has a wider field of view as well. All else equal I thing they are better in low light.

10 is better in calm areas and sitting where you can brace yourself. They can be a handful keeping steady under some conditions or on the move.

I don't think I've missed spotting animals that I would have picked up using 10. I do know I'm in many conditions where 10 is harder to use.

• Sitka Gear