pointingdogs 27-Apr-14
gobbler 27-Apr-14
patdel 28-Apr-14
glidingindian 03-May-14
cityhunter 03-May-14
cityhunter 03-May-14
zipper 06-May-14
24-Apr-14
Any updated documnted or anecdotal information on deer population/quality in southeast iowa? planning to hunt there in November but will wait if reports really negative.

24-Apr-14
Im in Lee,and Van Buren Co. and our deer herd really took a dive last couple years. If it were me I'd set on sideline for a couple years and see how things go.Mature buck sightings were way down this past fall

24-Apr-14
yes the jan doe season sucks over 3000 tags given in Appanoose alone ,,The politicians plans are to extend to other counties in Iowa .Stop and think for a second .Only hunters want the deer !!!! farm bureau guys hate the deer, Insurance company's have no use for them !!! its up to the hunters to stop the doe slaughter!

I didn't find one dead buck on my farm but some were not so lucky !! north of me was hit hard!!!!

24-Apr-14
I did my part and left the 2.5 and younger bucks alone and passed on multiple does this year.

Public land was still amazing but sightings were down in late season which I've hunted a few times prior to this years bow tag (with a muzzleloader).

I hope IA gets it's act together and quick...

25-Apr-14
Depressing. I have 7 points so guaranteed to draw. Hunting private ground with outfitter. Will have to think hard about it

25-Apr-14
Only hunters are killing the deer. They cannot be hurt without hunters doing so.

25-Apr-14
I've pointed this out to other hunters and the DNR biologist. STOP shooting does. It doesn't do you one bit of good to whine and cry about the shortsighted politicians and the laws they pass if you still go out and kill all the does you can take. We as hunters are doing this to ourselves.

27-Apr-14
archery95 I have yet to see a nonres bow hunter shoot a doe ... Total kill numbers are down cause total deer numbers are down !!!The DNR will not stop that high priced doe tag for us nonres !!!!what a scam on there part ,, also no way are they going to stop the jan doe season look for it to spread into other areas of iowa .. Its not the DNR but the politician s that call the shots ... DNR has made suggestions to lighten it up in Jan but to no avail !!! Farm Bureau and Des Moines INS companys say the deer got to go there going to go !!!! of course hunters are the ones pulling the trigger but u try and get the mass of folks not to pull the trigger it aint going to happen !! Hunters answer is if I don't shoot it someone else will!!!!!

27-Apr-14
im from se wisconsin and believe me if they give the tags people will shoot. weve had unlimited tags now for pushing 10 years. deer numbers are terrible here. feel bad for iowa but looks like there going to suffer the same fate as wisconsin. ohios turn to shine now.

27-Apr-14
City... you are right on! Insurance and Farm B. Lobbyists pouring money into those campaign coffers.

Farm B: $53,373 donated, 18th most by any entity. Some people will continue to be deny, even after the facts. http://www.followthemoney.org/database/StateGlance/candidate.phtml?c=116516

$308,000.00 donated by the insurance companies (can not separate out auto from other insurance companies).

As others stated, we the hunters must cut back on the numbers of deer harvested.

27-Apr-14
anyone know how bad the keosauqua area was hit. should be able to draw this year. i have a farm i can hunt whenever. just thinking about waiting a year or two.

27-Apr-14
Cityhunter send me a PM , so I can respond to ask you a question--Tks

27-Apr-14
Archery95: Won't that be great if all of us would boycott the licenses for one year. Wonder if they would start to listen to the hunters a little more.

27-Apr-14
I complained on here in Dec. after spending 2 weeks bow hunting in Van Buren county and was told that I complained too much, wasn't a good hunter, had too high of expectations etc.

Where are they now?

28-Apr-14
Gobbler a lot of the same issues that were addressed here were addressed in your thread. I dont recall anyone saying you were a poor hunter. I did question your expectations, but didn't mean to insult you. I think you mentioned seeing a buck you thought would go 150, another you thought would go 170 and you shot a nice 8 or 9 pointer. I thought that was realistically all a guy could hope for. Deer numbers are down. Ehd hit some areas hard and over harvest of does. I Dont believe the winter we had did us any favors either. As a bonus the DNR found a cwd infected deer in extreme n.e. Iowa. I think the pressure on does has had more impact than any of the disease issues. My opinion. Like I said before I hope you come back and that you have a great hunt when you do. Any way that's where I am now. :)

03-May-14
Dang. Any suggestions for treatment of bow hunters depression? Might ask outfitter to push me back a year but not sure that would work. Like a dummy sent my deposit before asking about EHD

03-May-14
DNR haha are just puppets there intentions are good but lack the power !!Im sure all the folks that oppose the puppet master will be given pink slips !!! Don't u guys get it Its all about the MONEY!!! For so many the Iowa landscape would best be void of deer .

pointingdogs u are correct but impossible to get the masses on the same boat ,,,

It should be against the law to sell mandatory doe tags for us NONRES hunters pure BS ..

Archery95 you need to wake up Folks said the same thing about Illinois that state went south asap Iowa deer hunting is in trouble unless some drastic moves are in place asap !!

Patdel u are correct the jan rifle season crushed them deer me and the family were driving in july stopped to glass some deer and them suckers came unglued ,,, DNR had to give them locals centerfire in jan otherwise nobody would bother going out ,, few years back some amish folks shot 34 does in a weekend !!!

Look at them doe tags numbers the DNR is giving out 3000 tags just in my county ,, for the past few years ,, This is management for disaster!!!! yes lets go give out 3000 doe tags after a already long deer season with liberal dates and bag limits LOL if the lead don't kill um the stress will ...

03-May-14
Arcery 95 get for real went unsold cause the damage is done !! No does to blast !!!! It took my friend 5days to see a doe from the tree!!!! Resident hunters buy tags as they use them !!!! why buys tags when there is no deer to blast !! Yes im from NY , funny most iowa hunters I spoke to had no clue of EHD LOL Archery95 at least u cant blame the NONres hunters for your herd decline Its all In House on this one ... 3,000 tags my county next county 3,200 . Archery95 u call this management on your DNR? Even a NYorker can see this is a disaster .. Plus 2012 2013 EHD yet the DNR still sold them tags !!!!! Like I said your DNR are puppets the puppet master calls the shots !!!! Can Iowa bounce back yes but not with management like the Iowa DNR is dishing out !!!

06-May-14
Deer herd down about 40 %.

• Sitka Gear