olebuck 25-Jul-14
Rayzor 26-Jul-14
David A. 26-Jul-14
Rayzor 26-Jul-14
25-May-14

Rayzor's embedded Photo
Rayzor's embedded Photo

Rayzor's Link
After many, many inquiries we were finally able to get our 2 blades down to 100gr without losing the strength we promote our products on. Blades remain a stout .052" and the ferrule extends to the double tanto style tip in a double ribbed design known for strength. 1 1/8 cut and blades/head portion is 1 1/4" long. Price is $45.95 per 3 pack and as with all VPA products your satisfaction is guaranteed. Bowsiters get a discount to offset shipping charges to $1.

Better pics later.

26-May-14
You have got to be kidding, $45.95 for 3 broadheads? I will stay with my Thunderheads that I bought over 25 years ago for 20 dollars for 6. Oh, an they have killed many deer.

26-May-14

60X Strings's Link
Looks like a stout head. I think it would be a tough sell with the price though.

26-May-14
Man I wish I could make 6 broadheads last 25 years. No I don't that would mean I would have shot a lot less animals then I did. $45.95 is getting up there but $20 is unheard of. Most braodheads are selling between $30-$40 today. I never let price get between my hunting and quality/confidence! There are a ton of broad heads on the market that fly, group, and penetrate better then the old style Thunderheads buy if have them they will still kill game. Be realistic gas was $1.11 twenty five years ago and the average medium income was $29K compared to $51K. Most every thing has doubled or tripled in the last 25 years. Bows were $300 with IBO speeds of 200 FPS that kicked like mules and very loud with sub par tolerances 25 years ago. Now they average bow gets 350 FPS, with zero kick/vibration, and dead quiet but they cost 3X's as much and worth every nickel to me. I spend an average of 70 days in the field with tags in my pocket and the rest of the year practicing I'm am not going to settle for second best or 25 year old technology.

26-May-14
It's a shame that companies have to make their products to comply with the ignorance of hunters and broadhead wt is a prime example. Heads that weigh exactly 100 grains or 125 will sell while heads that weigh115 or 135 might not even if they are twice the quality. I bet not one in 100 bowhunters could not shoot well enough to tell the difference...but that's what's embedded in their heads is a head has got to weigh 100 or 125 even though it only takes a few minutes to resight in for a heavier and better head.

I know with my experience in making blinds that everyone is an expert and knows what they want but I know what they need to succeed and it is not what they want.

26-May-14
Guys, this is just a new product announcement. Some of you just make me shake my head. You compare apples to oranges. I figured rather than deleting the posts with the thread owner tools I would just address them.

Considering we have already sold several thousand of our 2 Blades in heavier weight at the same price point and higher, there are plenty of others that don't share your price opinion. There are reasons people were asking us to make a 100gr version when they could have bought any number of others at a lower price. Two are confidence and proven product performance of the line.

If a fully machined in one piece, Made in USA 2 blade, helps give you the confidence that your set up will hold up when it counts, you aren't going to find them for the same price point that you will some of the heads manufactured with less costly materials and processes. In fact you'd be challenged to be able to make them for what some of the less expensive assembled or welded sell for.

26-May-14
Keep em coming rayzor. I have no problem spending a little more for things like bh! What's the point of shooting a 1000-1500 bow rig but then wanna skimp on the item that actually does the killing??? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me but everyone has an opinion- unfortunately.

26-May-14
The ferrel is a great design and I like the way it extends down to the tip. I personally would rather reduce wt by beveling the trailing edges and sharpening them too. Have you ever consider slotting for a bleeder? I would like to see that same head scaled up larger to around 1.5 inches and slotted for a bleeder. Probably would be in the 150 grain range but that ok with me.

26-May-14
I will either be shooting the two blade 125gr or a silver flame.. Whichever flys better at 60-80 yards.. i really like the look of VPA 2 blades.. i like how they are shorter than the silver flames..

26-May-14
I wish you would make a 125 grain non-vented 2 blade.

I need 125 grains for my recurve, but don't like the added noise from a vented head. I shoot low poundage so I'd prefer 2 blade.

26-May-14
TBM we get a lot of inquires and have also kicked around almost exactly what you are asking for. A narrow bleeder slot would likely mean an EDM process rather than machining in this material. A 2 blade head cut that large poses several other manufacturing problems. All is possible but we asked ourselves if the market would bare the cost associated with it. 'Ol Boris might kill over or run me off the forum if I dropped a $100 or more per pack bomb on him....(respectfully, of course).

26-May-14
They ran me off when I suggested my blinds would cost $600 but that didn't take in account they last 20 years or more of hard hunting vrs 4 or 5 setups with other blinds before something breaks. Still, it is hard to believe loosing a hunting arrow is like dropping a $20 bill but that is what it's come too.

26-May-14
Rayzor, just out of curiosity, what is the advantage of putting the tanto point on the broadhead? It seems to me that it would make the head a little harder to sharpen since you are adding an additional bevel angle to the mix.

As far as the cost goes, you get what you pay for 95% or the time, and I don't mind paying more for something that is going to give me the best performance possible, and it seems like your product is worth the price.

Also on a slightly different note, I have looked at switching to the three-blade, non-vented, 100 or 125 grain heads for my elk hunt this year. Do you know how they perform from an accuracy standpoint past 50 yards? I don't mind doing some sight adjustment to allow for a change in impact point from my field points, but I was wondering if you were having good accuracy with them at longer distances.

Thanks.

26-May-14
The tanto point has centuries proven piercing performance. We use the double tanto more for stress defection to help aid in the tip's resistance to bending.

As for our 3 Blades, they will shoot as good as the tune of your set up and your shooting form and abilities. Fixed blades sometime take a bit more equipment tuning to fly with field points than expandables typically do but if you are well tuned and have good shooting form they will fly as good or better than any other brand. Lots of guys out west are using them at ranges far beyond my capabilities. The 85-125 grain models have won or placed well in several Broadhead 3D shoots where I believe the longest shots are typically in the 90yd range. All the models up to 150 have been tested to 100 yards with the help of a Hooter Shooter. I test every screw in model using XBows so I can shoot from a bench with a front and rear bag. They lighter heads I test to 60yds. The heavies 25.

Durability is where we really shine. No head is indestructible, but we make the toughest 3 blades on the market, bar none.

26-May-14
Rayzor, thanks for the info. I'll be giving your broadheads a try. Oh, and how do I get the bowsiter shipping discount?

Thanks again.

26-May-14
"They ran me off when I suggested my blinds would cost $600 but that didn't take in account they last 20 years or more of hard hunting vrs 4 or 5 setups with other blinds before something breaks."

I bought a crappy 2 man Tangle blind and left it up going on 5 years now and it still works and has only one small hole in the roof do to branch hitting it and collapsing the roof. It then filled with water and froze. I pulled the ice out and tore a little hole in it. I paid 80 bucks for it and it is still going strong. You just have to sit on the side with no hole if it is raining. lol

By the way VPA's rock!

26-May-14
I always wondered how to sharpen two blades effectivly with keeping the correct blade angle... can u use the ferrule as a second point of contact? Do they line up in such a way to make sharpening easirr?

26-May-14
Keep em coming Ray! I just touched up some 3 blade vented heads for a buddy who just started shooting them. Hopefully one of them will pass through a bear in Wy. if it has not already.

I actually save money shooting the VPA heads. If I don't lose one it gets touched up and goes back in the quiver.

26-May-14
Anyone who knocks $45 for a pack of VPA's doesn't understand....

1. The machined construction involved, made in USA, 100% satisfaction guarantee, etc. and

2. The concept of value. Due to their durability, a three pack of VPAs will likely last you much longer than any 6 pack of replaceable blade heads, and you don't need blades. They are very cost effective.

26-May-14
Made in the USA is all you once needed to hear and all you need to know about VPA or any product. On the other hand if you are a modern cheapie and a WalMart foreign products shopper and you want to sacrifice quality and jobs to save a few bucks then by all means waste the money.

I am a slick trick and VPA fan forever.

27-May-14
Buy Cheap. Pay twice

27-May-14
There's a lot more to it than USA vs foreign, but it's your dollar not mine...

28-May-14
I have yet to ruin a VPA but I have lost a few after pass thru's. After what I spends on my bow and arrows I sure do not want to skimp on the business end. Without a good BH the rest is wasted. VPA for me.

28-May-14

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
As many of you know I have been a snuffer guy for over 30 years. But when Mike of Magnus sold out the snuffer arm of his company I decided to try the VPA's. I am impressed with their quality and boy do they sharpen razor sharp very fast. Much faster than did my snuffers. And they turn perfect, without the hassles I went through with snuffers.

I will stick with the 3 blade VPA's, as I like three blades, but I if the two blades are the quality of their three blades, you can't go wrong with them.

Here's a photo of an antelope I took last fall. It was the first animal I have taken without the use of a snuffer in over 30 years. I was in the blind, and he watered about 30 yards in front of the blind, so you can see he didn't make it all that far.

Thanks for a great product.

Have a great bow hunt. BB

28-May-14
Rayzor, is there is code to get the bowsite discount?

28-May-14
MM81, as you go through the checkout process, you will come to a box marked "coupon". Type "bowsite" in that box for the $1.00 shipping.

I ordered 3 dz 125gr non-vented VPA's a couple weeks ago. They took longer to arrive than other orders I've placed with Ray, but they still arrived last Sat. About that same time, I noticed an email Ray sent me stating that for some reason, my order ended up in his SPAM folder, so that was why the order took longer than normal. He refunded me $15 for the delay. This was appreciated, but certainly not necessary. Hard to find customer service like that in this day and age.

BTW, I've shot the BH's out to 60yds. They fly like darts and hit same POI as my field points.

I agree with several others. After all the time, money, blood, sweat, and tears that I invest in my bowhunting, I'm certainly not going to skimp on BH's.

28-May-14
Hey BB, what size VPA's have you been shooting? If I remember correctly you were a fan of the original big Snuffers, right? If so, check out the VPA custom shop heads in 1 1/4" diameter. There are a few weights of these from 125gr on up, and in vented or non. They are a bit longer than the compact heads too and quite closely resemble the shape of the old Snuffers, just with better construction IMO. I've been playing around with the vented 125 gr 1 1/4" heads and have been impressed. Fly great, sharpen beautifully, no noise in flight, and obviously cut big holes. Only killed two critters with them (versus dozens with regular sized VPA's) but I like what I see so far.

28-May-14
Thanks Wyobullshooter

28-May-14
Very excited to see how these work for everyone. I think they could be an awesome head for my kids to use on their lower poundage set-ups.

28-May-14
VPA makes some of the best broadheads in the business. Those VPA's will out last many of the heads out there on the market and the VPA quality is top shelf.

28-May-14
Tried some 3 blade 125 gr and did not like the way they flew. An alternate seems to do much better, same setup on everything else so I know it is it not any kind of a tuning issue. Maybe a lighter version like a 100 gr may help. Maybe.

28-May-14
Where's Rayzor when ya need him?

28-May-14
"Tried some 3 blade 125 gr and did not like the way they flew. An alternate seems to do much better, same setup on everything else so I know it is it not any kind of a tuning issue. Maybe a lighter version like a 100 gr may help. Maybe."

Which would be a tuning issue. Just because one head seems to fly better than another does not mean your setup is tuned optimally, you just got lucky with that particular head. A VPA will fly as well as any fixed head, but maybe not just immediately screwed on without tuning tweaks, unless you get lucky. And the same could be said for most all broadheads these days. One head, VPA or otherwise, might take more tuning out of some setups than others but it is possible, and it's certainly not the broadhead's fault if it's not perfect without any effort. If you want some help, PM me. I've been thru too many bows to count and have never had much difficulty getting VPA's to fly well.

28-May-14
SDHNTR

No it doesn't. Several different alternates fly better and in different blade alignments as well so it is not lucky that one head flys better. Trust me, the bow is tuned proper. The VPA's fly ok, just not as good. No point to fiddle around with another head for the sake of doing it. If no BH flys equally well against another all the time without some tweaking here and there then there is no such thing as a properly tuned bow and all bows need to be catered to the BH being used. If I have to change something to use a VPA when other substitutes don't require change, then it would be an unwise purchase for me.

Changing FOC makes more sense than messing up a mechanical system that really has no issues.

28-May-14
Changing FOC changes dynamic arrow spine, which changes tune (for better or worse).

Best of luck to you. I'm not going to argue.

28-May-14
HDE, is your bow broad head tuned? The 125 grain vpa heads you were shooting non vented? They require more tuning then no venting, they show shooting errors quicker as well.

28-May-14
Vented and yes, it is BH tuned because other heads I have fly well.

Arrow spine is a function of structural design. It is the same regardless of what FOC is. Changing the FOC will change where the shaft deflects in flight. Spine will determeine the frequency of oscillation in flight.

By quoating me and posting the opposite, the arguement was setup. If you don't want to argue, don't submit a rebuttal.

28-May-14
HDE if you put more weight up front it will make the shaft weaker which changes tuning.. So you are wrong there.. Look at how trad guys tune their bow.

28-May-14
Sorry if I took this thread away from the original intent. It was just the announcement of a great product. If you want to talk tuning, lets start another thread or pm please. Again, sorry.

28-May-14
jtelarkin08

Please read my post. I said maybe a 100 gr may make the difference for better flight, not a 125 gr.

And no, more weight up front will not weaken the shaft. The only thing that will weaken the shaft is to remove wall thickness. Weight up front changes how the tri-axial forces come into play with down range in flight trajectory.

Bottom line is I didn't care for how they flew, that's it and that's all.

Anyone else...?

28-May-14
You can give them to me! LOL

28-May-14
Can't wait to see these broadheads and check their flight. May be the perfect one for heavy african animals. (Not the giants though, I'll use one of their heavy two blades for them). Just finished some toughness testing on their three blade vented. Shot into beef ribs at 20 yds. I shot one thru the ribs 8 times. On the eighth hit I was able to tweak a blade. Shot another had 4 times thru the ribs and it looked brand new. Had a guy with a speed bow setup shoot and the very tip turned just a bit. Still spins well and I can sharpen that tip flat very easily. I was impressed with their broadheads. As a side note they sharpened very easily for me.

29-May-14
Sorry, I've been traveling for a few days and finally made it to a hotel at a reasonable hour.

I several people have been helping out....thanks. Yes, code on the webstore at checkout is: bowsite

HDE: Our heads are satisfaction guaranteed. Send them back for a refund or exchange for a different model if you like. We released a VPA Custom Shop 125 recently. It is basically a vented version of my favorite 150 3 blades. Now its my favorite of the 125s...with the 125 2 blade running just barely a nose behind.

On the 2 blade sharpening question...you can use the angle on the ferrule to guide on the 125 up if you chose but on this 100 that ferrule angle went bye bye via a ball end mill to get the weight down to 100. I thing its pretty easy to freehand sharpen them....but the KME broadhead sharpener and a bench stone makes it easy. I use it in a lot of demos in hunting camps and shows. Uses plenty of honing oil so you don't load the stone.

30-May-14
Thank for answering the sharpening question

22-Jul-14
Just an update on the performance of these heads with my setup: I shot the 100 gr., three-blade, non-vented heads on the end of an Easton Flatline cut to 30" with four feather fletchings out of my Bowtech Experience (set at ~68 lbs.) with a Ripcord Code Red rest out to 60 yards. At 60 yards, they were only shooting 3-4" left of where my field points were shooting, making for an easy adjustment to get my bow shooting properly with broadheads. I adjusted my sight a couple of tick marks to the left, and I was good to go. I moved it back to where it was originally, and my field points were back to shooting right on. The broadhead shot consistently within about a five-inch area on my target for all shots. I adjusted my sight too much on one shot, and the arrow went into the dirt, and the broadhead was completely undamaged (other than being less sharp). I'm looking forward to trying these on game this year. They didn't shoot exactly like my fieldpoints, but they were negligibly different at 60 yards, so I am very satisfied with their flight pattern out of my setup.

22-Jul-14
Looks like a very nice design...I'm a big fan of two blade heads! Thanks for the "heads up" ;)

22-Jul-14
Always stepping it up Rayzor! VPA's have done the trick for us many times and then they get touched up and go right back into the quiver. Can't beat that!

22-Jul-14
this thread has the best and worst of bowsite, for every reason there is... Good job Ray, keep 'em coming... I don't need the 100 2 blade, but somebody surely will and it will be exactly what they need. I am happy with my 3 blades and will be buying 175s for my new recurve too... GREAT PRODUCTS

23-Jul-14
We have a couple new things in testing i think the market is missing. I like them but I guess we'll see what the other guys think after they run them through a few animals.

24-Jul-14
VPA is Definitely one of the best broadheads on the market and those who complain about cost should consider that most of us drop between 2-3K on every hunt. Use the best and good things happen.

Ray: I need to get with you on those new 125 customs. That is in my wheelhouse. I remember posting several years back about how the 150's were the best broadhead I had ever tested. I am really interested in those 125's.

24-Jul-14
Season is gettin close. Vpa's are gonna be responsible for lots of blood trails this yr :-)

24-Jul-14

warthog's embedded Photo
warthog's embedded Photo
Great addition to the lineup.

We tested it out as soon as we had our hands on it.

Rory Smith form Broadside Bowhunter, Chital Stag

25-Jul-14

warthog's embedded Photo
warthog's embedded Photo
The New 100gr Vented VPA 2 blade

25-Jul-14
I so wish yall would make a 1.5" version or a larger version.

a 160 grainish 1 1/2" to 1 5/8" cut would be my dream broadhead. and I would pay good money for it.

Make one and I'll but it.

lots of archers are starting to shoot heavier heads. with the proper FOC and arrow weight you can change to broad heads 50 grains heavier and not see a noticeable difference in trajectory out to 40 yds.

26-Jul-14
You likely will not see a 1 1/2" due to a few things. A 1 1/2" to 1 5/8" in 160 would be tough to achieve in an all steel head. Big vents and thin blades unless you want an aluminum ferrule. I would foresee bent or broken heads.

You may see a 1 1/4" model in the 150gr range but not before fall.

26-Jul-14
A narrow 1" 4 blade...that would be interesting.

26-Jul-14
Doubt you'll ever see a 4 blade from us. A bleeder in our 2 blade would be ok but a pain to add the slot. It would about have to be EDM'd. Then you would have some vey expensive heads. A pyramid designed 1 piece 4 blade would have 45 degree sharpening angles 90 degree total.. Everyone says a 30/60 feels dull. Now that would be dull. You have to come in and machine a thinner angle on each blade. More cycle time is more cost and make them more expensive and the wouldn't be as easy to sharpen as a pyramid 3 blade is.

• Sitka Gear