Nesser 12-Nov-14
30-May-14

Adventurewriter's embedded Photo
Adventurewriter's embedded Photo
Read it and weep.....

30-May-14
Holy crap...

30-May-14
That's as good of a draw season as there has ever been!

30-May-14
DANG!! Congrats!!

Actually I'd prefer to draw these in consecutive years but all at once would work!

30-May-14
Everything Archery except Ram?!? Sissy! Lol...Congrats, that's awesome...

As I like to call it, the Trifecta....

30-May-14
Go to Vegas……right now!!

30-May-14
Excellent! Stay healthy and good luck!

30-May-14
I wouldn't go out in any lightning storms...Unbelievable! Congrats to you good sir! I on the other hand, failed to draw anything other than pictures for my boy to use as targets.

30-May-14
Thats Ridiculous! Hope you are self employed and single! Fill em all!

30-May-14
wow

30-May-14
Good lord!

30-May-14
Holy buckets! Congrats!

30-May-14
Adventure: Did the stars just align that you had enough points, etc. OR did you truly just hit the jackpot?

Amazing...NEVER seen anything like that before.

30-May-14
Opps sorry...its not me it is some other lucky sap....a FB buddy...

30-May-14
That is still amazing...

30-May-14
Ok you shared, now take us along with your pics and sucsess!

Best of luck to you!

Oh man, didn't realize they are not yours, but anyway, lucky , lucky , lucky!

30-May-14
You threw me for a minute, as I see the name on the tags is not yours. Still bucking incredible odds.

30-May-14
Wow! Now that's what I call a Trifecta alright! Yes, gamble ASAP!

30-May-14
Ressy fee'$ are Great!!

The dates are certainly spread out--

Enjoy my friend,

Good luck, Robb

30-May-14
Wow, that's a hell of a season to be had...

30-May-14
Damn so jealous! I'd be thrilled with one of those tags.

Ask your buddy how he pulled that? Did he pay the DOW off?

Haha kidding

30-May-14
Pretty awesome!

Enjoy the experience. 'Living' every minute of the hunt is, in the end, more important than tagging out, but here's wishing you the best to do both!

Kyle

30-May-14
Talk about a dream season. What a lucking man. Hope he's got the time to do em justice. Tell him to get on bowsite or a least let you share for him.

30-May-14
I hope you have 8-10 weeks vacation !!

that's awesome

30-May-14
Incredible, what a memorable dream-season that could be.

I was curious about the odds your friend beat. A rough calculation (based on average pp's for Goat and Moose) puts the odds against drawing those 3 tags in the same year at about 26000:1

There's actually a good chance that's never occurred in the history of the DBH draws. I'd be curious to know if it has.

30-May-14
Looks like he's a die-hard bowhunter. Curious if he plans to takes his DBH with a bow? According to the CO stats pages, it's been 10 years since the last DBHS bow-kill.

30-May-14
too many analogies to compare that too. I can't even say GOOD LUCK cuz you already got that! definitely keep us in the loop as it unfolds.... Not even gonna say "congrats" cuz the best is yet to come

30-May-14
sticksender,

"There's actually a good chance that's never occurred in the history of the DBH draws."

A number of years ago one of the first directors of CA WSF drew the ONLY NM desert BHS tag that was offered.Draw odds were something like 1,400:1.

The next year he drew a RBHS tag in CO AND a MT Goat tag in CO. Two years after that, he drew a DBHS tag in CO!

Calculate those odds!

Then, back in 2011, I think it was, one of the directors of the Midwest Chapter of WSF drew sheep tags in both MT and WY. Plus, he was first alternate in CO and one of the tag holders dropped out. So he had THREE sheep tags, all from draws, in the same year.

Sadly, two years later, he died of cancer.

Gentlemen, enjoy every single day of your life. Because there are no guarantees you'll get another day.

Kyle

30-May-14
Have fun man, looks like you will be busy!

30-May-14
Kyle yep....and more evidence that "sheep karma" is real !

30-May-14
Wooooooowww!!!!!! :-oooooooo

30-May-14
Wooooooowww!!!!!! :-oooooooo

30-May-14
BINGO!! Life is grand for sure. Looks like this will be one hell of fall for you. Great luck, be safe and have a ball!

31-May-14
Wow! Have fun!

31-May-14
Oh I wish it was me...no this was a FB friend...It would be crazy crazy if it was a Bighorn...but DERSERT...are you friggin kidding me..insane

31-May-14
WOW.... Oh, I thought it was you... Ed F

31-May-14
If its Chris Nowak aka nowork.....he drew 61 elk 2 yrs ago and s12 ram tag last yr. Seems like he's playing the game to perfection. But the desert sheep tag has truly just made him a lucky SOB! He seems like a damn good bowhunter so should be fun to follow his success this fall.

31-May-14
That's incredible. This is the Pure Hunting TV Show guy right? Great show. Hopefully he does a show on these hunts.

31-May-14
So, how much did the devil give him for his everlasting soul???

31-May-14
Last year a friend of mine here in Reno, along with his son-in-law, both drew DBHS tags in the same unit!

This year, the husband of one of my wife's tennis partners drew a DBHS tag in Nevada and her son drew a California BHS tag!

I've been here since early in 2009 and know a lot of hunters. I can't think of ANY of them who HAVEN'T drawn a sheep tag here.

31-May-14
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_20269727/fort-collins-native-parlays-hunting-into-new-tv Pretty nice to have a hunting show and get drawn for three tags like these for your TV show.

31-May-14
DL,

Give it up with the 'conspiracy theory' garbage.

Other than jealousy, where is your evidence?

Twilight Zone fer sure!

31-May-14
What conspiracy theory? These guys have a TV show and one was able to score on three tags. I hope there show is good and not the usual bunk that's shown.

31-May-14
What conspiracy theory? These guys have a TV show and one was able to score on three tags. I hope there show is good and not the usual bunk that's shown.

31-May-14

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Sorry about the double post. Not jealous or envious at all. No way I could make all those hunts after what happened to me two years ago. What you see here is my leg with a staph infection that almost killed me and came close to loosing my leg after that.

31-May-14
DL,

My apology, but your post looked like you were accusing CO DNR of rigging the draw simply to benefit the lucky guy.

My bad if that was not your intent.

31-May-14
Look forward to seeing there show. Had dinner with a friend of yours back in March. The secretary from FNAWS.

31-May-14

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
DL,

"FNAWS" has not existed under that name since 2007-2008. We are now the Wild Sheep Foundation. ;^)

31-May-14
Outrageous odds for this to happen!! Ike, there is no "Archery" season for DBH in Colorado. My cousin also drew a DBH this year and will be looking to go archery first and use a rifle only as a last resort. I guess I know where I'll be spending some time after my archery season this year.....

31-May-14
Wow that is crazy!

My wife who is never wrong and also a math teacher says:

The odds of all 3 things happening at once is the product of each draws probability.

Desert S56 5 tags for 393 apps .0127 or 1.27%

Mt goat G5 18 tags for 365 apps .0493 or 4.93%

Moose M37 4 tags estimated odds based on last years #s of 127 apps. .0314 or 3.14%

Take .0127x.0493x.0314 = .00001972 or 1.972 in 100000 when you move the decimal point.

He's in for an epic fall.

Sandbrew

31-May-14
Chris Nowak is one lucky man! Bob.

31-May-14
Sandbrew,

Did your bride factor in points? That could make a very big difference.

31-May-14
She didn't but if I figured it out I wouldn't draw all 3 at once.

I think these 3 tags are doable in one fall. As long as he's single with unlimited time to pull this off. They are spread out across the state Sept-Dec.

Moose should be easy to find a decent P&Y bull preseason and kill him the first few days.

G5 for goats is hard hunt logistically in remote backcountry but archers went 13/18 last year.The season is long Spet and Oct but weather can be an issue

S56 for deserts is a Nov hunt and about 100% harvest. The sheep might hard to stalk but hopefully doable with a bow. If not all desert tags are any weapon.

Sandbrew

Sandbrew

31-May-14
Thanks, John.

Hope you had a little luck in the draws as well.

Kyle

31-May-14
Sandbrew OK brother but I'll have to defend my previous post stating roughly 26000:1 odds....lol !

Your wife is of course correct that the odds for this event to occur are roughly equal to the product of the 3 draw odds.....you're just off on your draw data...ha!

S56 got 593 resident apps (not 393) for the 5 resident tags....119:1

G5 had 166 eligible resident apps (those with 3 or more PP's) for the 18 resident tags.....9.2:1

M37 had 95 eligible resident apps (year 2013, so we have to fudge this one) and 4 tags....23.75:1

9.2 X 23.75 x 119 = roughly 26000:1

Not that it really matters, but it's still flat amazing to beat those odds. Like I said above, I'll bet this has never happened before in the Colorado draws, involving DBHS. I'd be very curious to know if it has.

31-May-14
Sticksender-

I stand corrected you are right on the apps #s I wasn't looking at the 3 point totals.

Using those #s and my wifes probability method I come up with 3.874 in 100000 or 1 in 25,994.28 so you're right.

I also calculated the probabilty of 1 person drawing ANY moose tag (cow or bull) + a desert sheep tag + any mt goat tag. I just took the total applicants with 3 points and did not worry about if they only applied for points. I came up with 4.76 in 1,000,000 odds. This tells me the lucky hunter not only picked well in his application choices but was also very lucky.

Sandrew

31-May-14
Wow! I came upon this post and noticed it was about my Face Book Post...THANKS FOR ALL THE KIND WORDS OF SUPPORT!!!

Yes, I am the lucky and very blessed one to have drawn these tags in one year. I guess I'm still in some shock (still pinching myself) but the reality is beginning to set in. I have been wondering what the odds were myself of drawing these tags and I want to thank the gents above for calculating it for me. Unbelievable!

I am fortunate in this particular circumstance, as I am single, self-employed, and very blessed to be involved with "Pure Hunting" as a Co-Host.

Since some have asked on this thread...I was born to hunt-always have been-and probably the reason I'm single...again, as historically I take off from work Sept - Dec (or work as little as possible) and hunt anything and everything I happen to draw or can purchase with an over the counter tag, then weekends there after for the remaining of the calendar year chasing stuff all over the western US.

Nothing against guides/outfitters but I don't use them (unless hunting laws required it)as I have always preferred to do it myself/or with fellow hunting companions.

Willi Schmidt started, owns and is the main host of Pure Hunting. Season 3 will be shown on the Sportsman Channel on Sunday nights from July - December. I'll will let the show speak for itself and hope you all enjoy it and what we are trying to do. Any and all comments are welcome.

So yes....and I don't what to jinx myself...but Season 4 of Pure Hunting looks to be an epic season for us with drawing these tags. For those of you that are interested I will provide updates and pics as these hunts unfold. Like WKOCHEVAR's cousin, I to will be attempting to kill the Desert Sheep with a bow, but I will not hesitate to kill one with a gun if the season is winding down and I have had no success with the bow.

For those that are wondering...I had 12 points for goat, 14 points for moose, and I drew the Desert Sheep in my first attempt in the Desert Sheep draw.

NESSER is correct I have been very lucky the last two years in drawing as I shot a nice bull elk (341) in CO unit 61 two years ago (12pts, shown in Season 2) and last year I shot a nice bighorn sheep in the CO S12 (13pts) high country near Weston Pass which will be included in Season 3 in July.

Not to rub it in...but I also drew an archery unit 9 New Mexico bull elk tag.

I wish you all luck in any remaining draws and your upcoming hunts this year!

Again...Thanks everyone for the kind words of support and I'll keep you posted on the hunts.

Chris Nowak CO-Host Pure Hunting

01-Jun-14
Wow! You are lucky! Or you have a trick that I need to know about! Haha. A bighorn last year? Insane. It's gonna be tough to scout and hunt for those three tags. All three are like once in a lifetime. And to have three tags like that in one season is crazy awesome! Good luck! I'm officially jealous just of having one of those tags

01-Jun-14
Good luck. Keep us posted on the progress. Sounds like a fun season.

01-Jun-14
"For those of you that are interested I will provide updates and pics as these hunts unfold."

Interested??? We demand it! lol...unreal!

01-Jun-14
Chris,...like I saif on FB PM I posted this without much thought and then thought I hope he doesn't mind and you said you did'nt. The more expsure for your show the better I guess.

I can honestly say i don't have a jealous bone in my body...but since I saw this my pinky bone has been feeling funny...;) If somebody draws what you have drawn in the last two years that is a GREAT run for a whole lifetime....

01-Jun-14
Good luck and please put in time time to fill those tags. You should've bought a lottery ticket also!

01-Jun-14
No worries Ted...

Thanks for the interest and support!

02-Jun-14
Chris...if you can take all three with your bow you're on the fast track to a big 10 archery completion. Pretty sure I saw on here that only 2 or 3 guys have accomplished that. Way to go amigo and best of luck!

02-Jun-14
Latest stats page shows someone took a Desert Ram with a bow last year in S64. Previous bow-killed DBH ram dates back to 2004.

02-Jun-14
Billy,

Believe me, I have considered what you have mentioned and I take it as a such an unbelievable opportunity to accomplish Colorado's Big 8,9 or 10 with a bow. As everyone who has a CO Big 8,9,10 knows that is all about being lucky enough to draw the opportunity (the tags), getting the appropriate time from work and family, and a good support system of hunting companions to get it done. Fortunately for me I have all three things going for me.

The response from folks here on bowsite, facebook, and friends has been overwhelming and I have many people offering to help with intel, scouting, and the hunts themselves. As I said earlier...I don't want to jinx myself, but if I were to get it done and fill these tags with a bow, it won't be because I did it all by myself, but due to a group effort with a bunch of friends helping, supporting me, and sharing in this effort. We are preparing for the challenge and are looking forward to the journey this fall will bring.

And I'm am still pinching myself at just the grand opportunity I have been given.

Thanks again for everyone's kind words and support and I'll post progress on the hunts as they proceed.

25-Oct-14

Nowork's embedded Photo
Nowork's embedded Photo
First two tags have been filled...leaving this weekend to begin the Desert Sheep hunt!

Chris

25-Oct-14

Nowork's embedded Photo
Nowork's embedded Photo
G5 Nanny...

25-Oct-14
Outstanding. .. good luck on the sheep hunt. Ed F

25-Oct-14
Sounds about like the guy pulling names out of the hat last name drawn won drew his name card smelled like bubble gum.rigged.

25-Oct-14
Awesome! Best of luck on the desert hunt!

25-Oct-14
Outstanding!! Good luck on the next tag!

25-Oct-14
Awesome ! i wish u the best !

25-Oct-14
Very nice, congratulations. Best of luck on the DBH pursuit.

25-Oct-14
Best of luck with the sheep and congrats on the goat and moose. WOW. HUNT

25-Oct-14
Chris, good luck on the DBH hunt! Next year will seem dull after this one!

25-Oct-14
Congrats. Good luck on the DBH!

25-Oct-14
Badass! One more to go! Get that desert!

25-Oct-14
Cool

25-Oct-14
Congrats on the first two animals. Now get the sheep and you have quite the trifecta!

25-Oct-14
Grats! GL on the sheep

25-Oct-14
Thanks for the kind words and support...hopefully I'll be posting a pic of a nice ram in the next week or two.

Chris

25-Oct-14
Way to go! Best of luck on the DBH!

26-Oct-14
This is wonderful news/pix.

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

26-Oct-14
Man, what a season! Congratulations!!

26-Oct-14
Wow... Huge Congratulations!

10-Nov-14

Nowork's embedded Photo
Nowork's embedded Photo

Nowork's Link
This past week I was lucky enough to get my desert sheep with a bow - the last of my three unbelievable draw tags for this hunting season. All three hunts were filmed for Season 4 of Pure Hunting to air on the Sportsman Channel next year so everyone will be able to watch this adventure first hand. Thanks to everyone for their support and kind words during this hunting season. I still can’t believe I drew these tags in one year and then got it done.

Chris Nowak Co-host Pure Hunting

10-Nov-14
Congrats on a awesome season, nice desert ram, I am headed out soon for my desert hunt in NV.

NMBIGHORN

10-Nov-14
Congrats!

10-Nov-14
Congrats on your success.

According to the harvest history reports, that's the first ram ever taken in S56 with a bow.

10-Nov-14
What an amazing and miraculous season! I wonder if any archer has ever drawn those tags and then filled them with a bow before?

10-Nov-14
Good for you, congrats!

10-Nov-14
Wow, what a season. Congratulations on filling all three tags using a bow.

10-Nov-14
Unbelievable, what a Fall to remember forever! Can't wait to see the shows!

10-Nov-14
Congratulations!!! WOW... awesome!

10-Nov-14
That is an incredible achievement, congrats!

Was the DBHS the toughest hunt?

10-Nov-14
Amazing accomplishment, congratulations! Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your dream season.

10-Nov-14
The trifecta in draw! Trifecta killing with the bow! Unreal.

10-Nov-14
Congrats that's quite the accomplishment! Nice looking ram!

10-Nov-14
Thanks everyone for the kind words...

Mathewsman - physically the goat hunt was the toughest, but DBHS was mentally/emotionally the toughest. I had a ram at 30 yards on opening day but only gave me a quartering to me shot which I don't take on any animal. I then went several days without seeing a ram...only thinking that I may not get another opportunity and reliving that first encounter over and over in my mind just wondering if I could have done something different to get a better shot. I'm just lucky I got a second chance on another ram.

Chris

10-Nov-14
That was awesome. Not just draw the tags and be able to do them justice, but to fill them as well....

To the envious (of which it's hard not to be LOL!)..... you do have to actually put in for the tags before you get drawn. Luck can only happen when given the opportunity. Opportunity you have to create. That these folks have done in spades.

Congrats, great job. All the way around.

11-Nov-14
What a season! Congrats

11-Nov-14
Congratulations on a great fall!!! Way to get it done all with a bow. Does this complete the Colorado Slam for you?

11-Nov-14
Wow! Way to get it done! David

11-Nov-14
Way to get it done ! An accomplishment to be proud of for sure ! BTW, Pure Hunting is one of the few shows I record and watch.

11-Nov-14
What an amazing year! Everyones dream season in Colorado!

12-Nov-14
Congrats Chris!!

12-Nov-14
This is probably the most outstanding draw/archery hunting achievement I've witnessed. Its super hard, 1/100 approx. to draw a Co bull moose tag as a resident and about the same odds for a desert ram tag. The goat tag was better odds, but not much. Then to get it done with a bow in one season! Great stuff man!

• Sitka Gear