Tilzbow 14-Jul-14
NvaGvUp 14-Jul-14
NvaGvUp 16-Jul-14
bill v 16-Jul-14
NvaGvUp 16-Jul-14
ridgerunnerron 27-Jul-14
NvaGvUp 27-Jul-14
02-Jul-14
Well, yesterday I hung myself out to dry. On another thread I thought I would donate a few bucks to the Fraturnity of the Desert Bighorns (So. Nev.) They're in dyer need of funds to fill the drinkers. Seems the winter and spring was drier than usual and the sheep will be in trouble. The WSF chapters kicked in and sent money they're way. So, I made a small donation and thought others might follow. Ended up hanging myself out to dry. Thought maybe it was missed in the other thread so I started a thread just for this. My goal was to get 20 of us to send a few bucks over there to help. maybe thats too many, Lets shoot for 10 donations, Ah?

James Bradshaw will take your donations and send a reciept back to you. Even if it's just $10 or $20 anything will help. He is the open for donations and his cell # is 702-219-9109.

Let show him what bowhunters are all about!!

I'm One, Nine togo!

Thanks Bill V

02-Jul-14
I'm in as well. I pledged when the Fraternity made the appeal at the WSF Chapters and Affiliates meeting last Saturday. Mailed my check to them today.

02-Jul-14
Bill

Nice work on this. Count me in and I will donate. Also since I am Canadian, I can't use the tax credit so I will give it to you.

Cheers. Sheep hunters are just the same as all other sportsman and conservationalist. They step up where they can. Good for you.

02-Jul-14
Im sure I can find a way to scrounge up a few bucks !!!! How much is a few ?????

02-Jul-14
cityhunter,

As much or as a little as you want. Checks with commas in them are best! Checks with two commas are even better! LOL

Thank you!

Great job, Bill! You Da' Man!

02-Jul-14
$2,,5 Will do Louis :)

02-Jul-14
Im in, its not much but I just called it in to james

02-Jul-14
Thank you, Leo!

Bowsiters ROCK!

Who's next?

Let's get to 20 per Bill's original target!

02-Jul-14
Thanks Tom !!

Thanks city and Leo ! Not only bowhunters but East coasters to boot along with me. We couldn,t be much further from the animals we're helping. The only sheep I have ever seen in person was in Nevada last year when I went with a friend on his sheep hunt. There wasn't much water there even in Nov.

Thanks guys, let's keep this going

Bill v

02-Jul-14
should I send a check or call ?

02-Jul-14
Louis,

It's easier to call and give James your credit card # obviously.

If you send a check, the project will net a couple of extra $$ because the Fraternity of the Desert Bighorn won't have to pay the credit card fee.

02-Jul-14
Okay, I'm in for $100.

02-Jul-14
I'll match Watts. James is a good friend and he and the Frat boys will do their best to take care of the sheep in So NV!

It's horribly dry and hot here right now and even worse in Vegas. I don't think we've had 2" of rain since Feb.....

03-Jul-14
Way to go, guys!

03-Jul-14
I'm in. Calling James now.

03-Jul-14
Post his address please

03-Jul-14
WOW , Thanks to all, its going now!

Tom, I don't know his address, I'll get it for you and send it over.

Thanks guys, Bill V.

03-Jul-14
tthomas, PM sent

If anyone else needs an address, just let me know.

Bill V.

03-Jul-14
I'm in also. (but only for a small $ amount)

Bill- I just sent you a PM, please check it.

03-Jul-14
Well, I keep talking about people putting their money where their mouth is so I just called James.

Bill , Great job in getting this started. Give me a call when you have some time.

03-Jul-14
James Bradshaw

Red Star Fence

4755 W. Dewey Drive

Las Vegas, NV 89118

Make checks payable to The Fraternity of the Desert Bighorn. Include a note it's for the Emergency Water Haul Project;

03-Jul-14
Wow Jim, Kyle and others! You guys contribute so much time and money already and you're going in for more is beyond words I can find!

03-Jul-14
ridgerunnerron,

It's called 'Sheep Fever' and there is no known cure. ;^)

03-Jul-14
I'm in Philada airport right now & traveling for a while but if someone could throw up a paypal address I'll be glad to drop in some $$$ on the fly (no fees to recipient).

03-Jul-14
Stick, I just got an answer back from james, They don't have anything like that. Just give him a call would be the easiest.

Thanks Bill v.

03-Jul-14
Way to go, Greg!

That's eleven Bowsiters now by my count. Nine more to go!

You guys ROCK!

03-Jul-14
I also signed up as an annual member...hoping maybe the karma will help me draw a DBS tag sometime somewhere.

03-Jul-14

ChukarPlucker's embedded Photo
This is James Bradshaw with the Fraternity of the Desert Bighorn.

I wanted to thank everyone that has contributed, promised to contribute, or even just done a rain dance.

Everything is very much appreciated, it was 115 degrees yesterday and 110 today. The sheep are drinking the water fast but hopefully mother nature will help us out soon.

03-Jul-14
James,

Welcome to Bowsite! Thanks for the update!

Nevada is experiencing record drought, fella's. So every dollar you can contribute is appreciated and critically needed.

03-Jul-14
Ok will send a check out asap it might buy a sheep a class of water but its a start !!

03-Jul-14
Hello James. Welcome to the bowsite!!!!

Keep em coming boys. Let's show James what we're all about here!

Bill v

03-Jul-14
Will send out a check after the holiday. Also called WSF today and became a member.

04-Jul-14
That's great Kevin. Great to have you on board.

ps, Kevin is another Eastern guy!

04-Jul-14
I'll buy a glass. Check is in the mail.

Welcome to Bowsite James.

Dennis

04-Jul-14
C'mon guys, let's get some more hunters to give up a couple of drinks on the Fourth and donate a few bucks so some desert animals can have a much needed drink of water.

07-Jul-14
Well, this has been Great, Thanks everyone for responding.

Theres 13 of us, maybe lucky 13 will bring some rain too.

I was impressed by how many NR's and East coasters pitched in.

We made the 10 donation second goal and am still hoping to get to 20. So come on guys, Lets do it.

Thanks Bill V.

07-Jul-14
I will match every dollar raised by HSUS ... just kidding, this is great stuff guys!

07-Jul-14
Hey, Bill V. "Brother from another mother" as you would say! I will send James a check for $20.00. I will probably never get the chance to hunt a sheep in my lifetime, but I owe you for all the rides to class you gave me in Latham, NY. So, count me in too.

07-Jul-14
Check's in the mail to James. Thanks for putting the effort and $ into these sheep. Thanks for posting this Bill v.

07-Jul-14
Hello Bill, Thanks Brother, Them deserts need a drink of water too!!!

Its great when we can all pitch in a little to get something done for the animals that we're all stewards of.

And I always said I'd never get the chance too, and look what happened!

Bill V.

08-Jul-14
Thanks Chad

08-Jul-14
Nice job guys. Just returned from traveling and sent a check to James.

10-Jul-14
I sent my check out today best of luck keep this tread going !!

10-Jul-14
In Fla., right now, but will contribute when I return early next week. Good job guys!

10-Jul-14
I'm in Alaska right now, so just checking in. Great job, guys!

11-Jul-14
Guys,

Let's keep this going! We got some rain in NV this week but it wasn't much. James is planning to visit a guzzler this weekend to see if it helped but anything you're able to do will help offset the continuing drought here in NV.. I know here in the north part of the state the rain was fairly isolated so although some guzzlers may have filled partially others are still dusty. The karma might even help draw a tag and if that happens James is a really good guy to know!

11-Jul-14
Since you posted up the info I will make a contribution. I drew my first sheep tag at home here in Colorado this year and would hate to see that resource dry up like the water.Bob.

14-Jul-14
ttt

14-Jul-14

Thank you again to everyone that has donated, so far we have 13 donations. What a great example of how giving sportsmen are! I did walk into a couple of guzzlers this weekend as we did receive a few storms. The good news is the guzzler that I pictured above is to filled to capacity. The bad news is the storms were pretty small and several guzzlers on the North end of the valley (the Muddies area which holds the largest sheep herd were missed). Looks like more rain possibly and with the donations from you guys and other organizations if emergency water needs to flown or pumped in the sheep will not go thirsty.

Thank You Again for all of your contributions.

James

14-Jul-14
Just curious James......................what does it take to get the water up to these areas? I'm picturing one of those 4x4 tanker trucks that the firefighters use but imagine you can;t get everywhere with those and have to use helicopters too?

14-Jul-14
Why such a large surface area. Would be much more evaportation? Couldn't a small area hold the water and maybe the sheep might have to wait longer or stand in line, but the limited water would last longer.

14-Jul-14
Rut, some of the guzzlers are only excessible by air

14-Jul-14
tthomas,

I think I recognize the drinker that's picture and it's only about 2'x3' if I remember correctly.

14-Jul-14

Rut Nut: There are some areas that you can drive to with a water truck run fire hose to and pump water to, these types are limited based on not wanting easy access for vandalism or animal harassment. Most of these are quite a hike in and now several are in wilderness areas. In these cases helicopters take water hauls and dump the water in the rain collection area to fill the storage tanks.

Tthomas: The size of the drinker may be exaggerated by the picture, it is about 24" x 30" what you can't see is there are 4 collection tanks that each hold 2300 gallons a piece. They are gravity fed to the drinker. Evaporation is a small amount of the water loss. Not exaggerating, you can see up to 25-30 animals at the guzzler at one time. The Rams and other sheep don't have concept of "waiting in line" when they are thirsty and it is 110+ out. There is a lot of pushing and butting as it is now when up to ten sheep can drink at a time, smaller drinkers could and would mean more injury to the sheep.

14-Jul-14

14-Jul-14
One more donation sent!

Mark

14-Jul-14
tthomas,

Between The Fraternity of the Desert Bighorn, ADBSS, NBU and SCBS, you're looking at almost 200 years of experience in building drinkers. If you factor in the years all of the individual volunteers have been doing these drinkers, you're probably looking at thousands of years of experience.

Designs have changed and improved a lot over that time, obviously. Most of these groups are now using a drinker SCBS designed a few years ago.

14-Jul-14
Another thing to consider is that the 'drinker' part of the guzzler (what you see in Jame's photos) is designed with sort of a laddering on one end, allowing the sheep to step down to the water a little easier.

You could only do that laddering from one end. The opening isn't big enough to do more.

14-Jul-14
We're up around 18 now, Awesome.

Thanks Bill V.

14-Jul-14
TWO MORE TO GO!

Let's git-er-done, fellas!

14-Jul-14
James,

Any chance those photos are from the Bares?

Kyle

14-Jul-14
Kyle...I'll put a check in the mail to James tomorrow.

14-Jul-14
Thanks, Cory!

Who's next, gang?

We need one more to put this over the top!

Pat?

Charlie?

Phil?

;^)

14-Jul-14
Thanks for the info, James. Although I will probably never get the chance to hunt in this unique ecosystem, it is very interesting to learn more about.

14-Jul-14
Kyle,

That's not Bares... Sorry man but the sheep in the Bares all got transplanted to Utah by a freak tornado!!!!!

14-Jul-14
Scott,

We need to meet for lunch before the end of next week. What works for you?

16-Jul-14
My neighbors, who don't even hunt, are sending a check for $1,500!

That's 20 donors, if we count them!.

16-Jul-14
Wow Kyle, awesome.

Bill V.

16-Jul-14
Bill,

Fer sure!

We've been here for over five years now and you could not have better neighbors. They're both A+++ across the board.

Last fall I asked the husband if he'd have any interest in tagging along on a hunt. He jumped at the chance and will be going along on my UT archery elk hunt in early September. I think he's more excited about it than I am! He's also going with me on my DBHS hunt here in NV in November.

27-Jul-14
ttt

Bill and Kyle- I thought we would easily get more than 20 guys who go through a few bucks to James to help out these DBS. The ewes really need water during this time of year I read.

27-Jul-14
Ron,

Conservation successes with desert water projects are the main reason we even have desert bighorn sheep tags in the southwest. Without all the drinkers The Fraternity, NBU, ABBSS, SCBS, UT FNAWS, et, al. have installed and maintained over the past fifty years, none of us would have a chance to hunt these sheep!

A dozen quality arrows can cost $170/dozen. A dozen broadheads will run you another $125 - $150.

What's a quad cost? A new bow, set up? What did that truck you have cost?

Without water for the sheep, you won't need any of that stuff for sheep hunting! So while most of that's stuff's good to have, without sheep to hunt, it's irrelevant!

• Sitka Gear