Elk Dog 26-Jul-14
trkytrack 26-Jul-14
coelker 27-Jul-14
MathewsMan 27-Jul-14
MathewsMan 27-Jul-14
ernie 06-Aug-14
RogBow 29-Aug-14
02-Jul-14
My son and I drew CO Unit 3/301 Archery Antelope for this year. I last hunted that area about 25 years ago and can't even remember the areas I hunted then. So looking for folks that have archery hunted this unit in past 5 years that are willing to share their experience regarding hunting and camping locations via phone or email. None of the references furnished by Huntin Fool had archery hunted in the past 4 years.

19-Jul-14
Still seeking folks with recent experience bowhunting antelope in Unit 3 CO. Thanks.

19-Jul-14
Private land water holes. Now is a good time to knock on doors before all the TV goons do.

24-Jul-14
Good advice, thanks, RogBow. Guess I was looking more toward public land water holes - that's the way I did it about 25 years ago. And assumed any private land access might be fee only? And good to see a post from you. Hadn't ran across you since the S12 hunting last year.

24-Jul-14
In general tthe vast majority of lopes are in the eastern side of the unit with a lot of them being just out of Craig. The further west and north you go, the fewer lopes. There are some all over the unit but they have definitely concentrated closer to town overtone years.

I would start knocking on doors as well. Maybe look up Gary Brennan with BS outfitters, or Steele, etc.

Good luck. There is lots of public land to hunt it is just a matter of finding so switch lopes

25-Jul-14
Thanks, coelker, for the advice. Appreciate all the help I can get. I was sort of assuming that maybe farther north was better, being closer to WY. Haven't been in that area for about 25 years, and not sure I'm going to make it there until a day before season opens - not sure how important opening weekend is though for archery? In addition to finding some places (water holes) to hunt, wondering 1) how safe one is in putting up pop up blinds in that area and leaving them between weekends, and 2)are many of the landowners receptive to allowing hunting on their lands? Trespass fees?

26-Jul-14
Fire north of Craig has consumed more than 31 square miles. Had planned to scout yesterday but will need to wait until fire has been contained.

26-Jul-14
No way I would leave a pop-up blind out there. Even overnight would be a nervous situation for me. Finding a waterhole that isn't already claimed on public ground will be hard to do too. Pronghorn populations are way down from what they were in the past. Some bad winters, drought and who knows what else has hit pretty hard there.

27-Jul-14
The very north end is ok. The north boundary is the stateline or the little snake river. There are some lopes that will travel everyday too and from the hay fields. If you watch and can move fast you could cut them off. Much like any other animals going from bedding areas to feeding areas. I have not been up there since the fire and as a result not sure its exact location.

I have seen others leave blinds up, but I would not do it. I would leave it up over night if it was just down the ridge from camper, but not while I was in town...

I wished I could tell you to go hit this water hole or this spot, but on public ground there will likely be other hunters already scouted and on it...

Also towards the north end there are some cedar breaks that will hold antelope and can make spot and stalk a little more fun. This is also true with the western end of the unit on Godiva Rim. Not as many lopes but the ones you find should not be harassed by other hunters...

It kind of suck but I have had luck in that area just driving around all day and looking for antelope in the right spot for a stalk... Using any cover I can to close the distance. I mean driving a lot of ground until the right set up.... On a good day I can get in 5 to 6 stalks a day... Some end fast, other I end up in range for 2 hours waiting for shot chance...

It is different than a blind but a lot of fun...

27-Jul-14

MathewsMan's MOBILE embedded Photo

There are some decent bucks up there, a rifle tag I would hold out for a nice one.

Dad and I killed some decent bucks two years ago. Man was it hot sitting in the blind with my son. I had a tall monster buck we waits 4 straight days for him to water, when he came in finally, my arrow was off 8" at 30 yards. My arrow actually sliced off his front leg. We caught up to him 3 miles away and I only had a bout a 90 yard shot moving which I did not take. He went onto private and finally got permission to search for him with no luck. I searched and searched on an ATV glassing but nothing. I don't know that I have ever searched so much but it was a 19" plus buck.

Shot back at home and my sight was off.

Reluctantly I went back out the last weekend (I figured I should at least shoot one since I had turned that tag back in 3 times keeping my ten points).

The buck I took in the photo was about half as tall as the other one.

27-Jul-14

My dad arrowed a decent one on the opening week before we could get out . We found a secluded spot you won't find from the roads but a friend turned us onto it so it wouldn't be right to disclose the location.

06-Aug-14
Coelker, thanks much for the info. If water holes don't work out or we get rain, will switch to spot and stalk.

Matthewsman - Love that photo of your Dad. And miss seeing that fellow past couple years. He and I have had a couple great times reliving our Africa hunts.

29-Aug-14
Did it rain on you every day Ernie?

• Sitka Gear