Charlie Rehor 04-Aug-14
bowhunter1 04-Aug-14
arctichill 04-Aug-14
SDHNTR(home) 04-Aug-14
BOWUNTR 05-Aug-14
Stoney 05-Aug-14
13-Jul-14

arctichill's Link
This auction hunt is for the benefit of the NM Council of Guides and Outfitters and was donated by Tom Klumker of San Francisco River Outfitters. This hunt is scheduled for Dec.27-31 in the Santa Catalina Mountains near Tucson, AZ in unit 33. This is the top rated Coues deer unit in AZ. Hunting will be done with pop-up blinds on rub & scrape lines and spot and stalk. The auction winner will go in 7 miles by horseback and pack mule to a set up camp. You will hunt on foot right out of camp. The winning hunter/huntress needs only his or her bow, arrows, sleeping bag and hunting license (non resident $160 plus a deer non-permit tag for $300. SFRO provides a soft type scabbard for transport of the bow into camp and extra arrows in a tube or arrow case. Personal gear is to be brought in small soft type travel bags no longer than 30" for ease of packing on our mules. The regular price for this fully outfitted hunt is $4500. Additional hunters can come at full price and non-hunters at $250 per day. We will meet at the trailhead south of Oracle, AZ on the morning of the 27th. Motels are available at Oracle and or you can camp at trailhead the night before with us. This is a 2x1 guided hunt with another winning hunter from a donated hunt sold at the recent Silver City, NM RMEF. We can provide references upon request. Tom is a well-known outfitter and serves on the Board of Directors for the NMCOG.

Bids can be submitted to [email protected] or through the attached Facebook link.

14-Jul-14

arctichill's Link
Here is a better link to submit bids. As of right now (Monday July 14th, 6:31am MST) the high bid is $1,100.

14-Jul-14
For the most up to date information on this auction check out http://www.nmoutfitters.com/up-coming-events.

14-Jul-14
When does the bidding end?

edit....nevermind....I see that it ends on August 3rd....

14-Jul-14
Boy, I`d have a tough time helping or supporting anything with NM after the circus they pulled this spring with the nonresidents and the sheep/ibex draw. To me it seemed most NM residents didn`t want to share any amount of sheep/ibex tags. But yet they still want nonresidents to help fund and support their causes????

15-Jul-14

Stoney's embedded Photo
Stoney's embedded Photo
mick,

Believe me the outfitters were not pushing for this change. We value non-residents highly. The Terk Decision was coming down the pike as pressure to make NM more equal with other states was building over time. The NMDGF made a big mess out of it last spring when they jumped the gun and tried to institute the court's decision to implement the law. Since then they have come up with proposals to be passed soon to make the system much like other states bighorn sheep draws.

I lucked out somewhat won the draw as a friend's daughter drew the Desert Bighorn sheep youth ram tag in the Fra Cristobals. I will be helping them after the two draw tag hunters and the Turner Ranch two hunters' get through.

Many resident hunters have hired me over the years for both Rockies and Deserts, but most outfitted sheep hunts in NM were non-residents. GT Nunn got hurt the worst but he will survive.

I am the sponsor of this archery Coues deer hunt and it is a great chance to chase the little gray ghosts. I have taken several hunters into this part of unit 33 and always have had good success. I had Blacktail Bob and his wife Lisa there a few years ago and am enclosing a photo of a 133 Coues buck skull we found on that hunt. We alway see a buck or two there, ranging upwards of 120. Bob missed three shots and his wife stuck a buck that got away that year.

15-Jul-14

arctichill's embedded Photo
All I know is that two lucky coues hunters are going to have one heck of a good time!

18-Jul-14

As of 07/17 @ 10:00pm MST the high bid is only $1,250. If you've ever wanted a chance at taking an incredible Coues with a bow, this is a great opportunity.

18-Jul-14
Stoney Wow some mega coues how are u hunting these stands spot stalk ..

19-Jul-14
city,

Mostly spot and stalk.

We are going to hunt a week earlier this year right after Christmas to get the tail end of the pre rut while the bucks are still running their rub and scrape lines and try to blind and treestand a little bit. After the 1st of Jan. they pretty much quit using the creek bottoms and are out on the hills chasing the does, therefore we ado spot and stalk, usually with multiple opportunities to stalk in on them daily.

Lisa wounded her buck out of a tree stand and Bob got his three shots out of a lawn chair near camp as he had a bad case of vertigo and couldn't do much stalking. Good people and now they come hunt Coues in AZ, most every winter and I think DIY.

Lisa killed a 208 mule deer with a bow a year or two after this hunt with some friends whm guide on the 4A Ranch near Rangley,CO

20-Jul-14

Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
I'm glad Tom finally said I was suffering from vertigo when I missed those shots. It was actually Benign Positional Vertigo. When I drew my bow back each time, the world started spinning, and on occasion I’d throw up it was so bad. I think it was actually more than three shots I missed. I recall getting two shots at and missing one big buck twice!!!

I didn't miss the one in this photo though or about three others I've killed since we bought the house in Oracle.

20-Jul-14
Bob, that's a stud! Congratulations.

20-Jul-14
Can the dates be changed...my wife's bday falls right in the middle.

21-Jul-14
Bob,

Yeah what ever you had sure played havoc on your hunt. It is a wonder you could even stay on your horse for the ride in and out. Just plain bad luck on the timing.

I bet you enjoy your home and time in Oracle, and you are close to some good Coues. Very nice buck and I had seen it on an earlier post I think.

Hope you and Lisa are well and look forward to seeing you again someday.

22-Jul-14
Bob That sounds more like buck fever !!!!

22-Jul-14
Bob, I use that excuse everytime I miss too ;)

Must have been what happened to me on that blacktail on POW too!

--Jim

22-Jul-14
Really? I'm still getting residual crap from spelling "wold" in my thread title from years ago... And nobody here is going to touch "outitted"??!??!!!?

23-Jul-14
nijimasu,

Easy pal! lol It just so happens my thread title reached the maximum number of allowable characters with one letter left to go. The "F" had to go.

Have you ever seen those brain games where multiple letters are missing from words, but at a glance a "qualified" reader can still immediately read the word even though it hardly resembles the actual intended word? That's what "outitted" is like. Apparently, the posters prior to you were simply "qualified" readers and not any less observant. HAHA

The part about the maximum allowed characters is actually true. The part where I elude to you being semi-illiterate is simply a defense mechanism. I've been waiting for someone to call me out on the thread title.

Good catch!

23-Jul-14
The "wold" thread was on of the funniest threads I have ever read!

So what is the bid at this point?

23-Jul-14
Still only at 1250 best I can tell

23-Jul-14
Reckon they had better monitor the bids a little more often if they want the price to go up.

23-Jul-14
The link in my second post will take you directly to the "high bid update".

25-Jul-14
The bid was up to $2000 as of this morning July 25.

02-Aug-14

Stoney's embedded Photo
Stoney's embedded Photo
The current bid is at $2250 with only today and tomorrow to put in your bid.

04-Aug-14
What was the final bid? I was about to bid and then remembered that I already shot my AZ mulie back on Jan 1st!!

04-Aug-14
$2650.... It looks like I'm going on an outfitted Coues deer hunt. I am a diy hunter... but this hunt intrigued me with it being a remote horseback hunt and the fact that Blacktail Bob said it was a great hunt... I'm in. Looking forward to it. Ed F

04-Aug-14
Atta-boy BOWUNTR! You'll do just fine with a guide. I've done it before a few times and it doesn't hurt a bit. Enjoy! C

04-Aug-14
Ed, looks like your in for a good hunt,

04-Aug-14
Huge congrats Ed! Thank you for your support. I think you'll really enjoy hunting with Tom. I've never hunted with him, but he's a great guy and I would imagine it's going to be a blast. Thanks again for supporting a great cause.

04-Aug-14
Wow. Way to make it happen Ed!

05-Aug-14
I'm excited... kinda cool not having to plan a hunt... just show up and hunt. But, I'm already planing to leave this hunt and hunt desert muleys on my January tag... gonna make it a 3 week adventure... Ed F

05-Aug-14
Bowuntr,

Thank you Ed for supporting the NMCOG and the money will be used wisely in our fight against many issues but the big one coming up is the Expanded Mexican Gray Wolf plans to make everything south of I-40 to the Mexico Border in both NM and AZ, the new wolf, so called, recovery area. We are preparing our comments to the rule change. What an onerous move to expand the wolf program! I will be in Hondo, AZ August 11 for the USFWS hearing on the wolf expansion plans and so should every hunter in the west if they care about the future of hunting. There is the 2nd hearing at T or C, NM on the 13th.

A few years ago near where we we will be hunting in unit 33 I stood in the saddle where the last wolf was killed in AZ many years ago. Kind of scary to think the wolves will once again take a heavy toll on the Coues deer as well as the mule deer in that area.

Also thanks to artichill (Jesse) for getting this put on Bowsite and I really like working with Jesse and his UBNM group. Jesse and I don't agree on some things but we agree on the important matters I think.

I look forward to hunting with you Ed.

• Sitka Gear