mixed bag 11-Aug-14
spike buck 11-Aug-14
mixed bag 11-Aug-14
ahawkeye 11-Aug-14
4nolz@work 11-Aug-14
Screwball 11-Aug-14
spike buck 11-Aug-14
19-Jul-14
Do I still need Canadian gov't approval first with a past dui.Its over 10 years old.I know in the past they would turn you bck from entry.I think the laws were changed but not positive.Before I put money down on a trip, I want to be 100% sure.Im planning for a moose trip and its a lot of $$$ to lose if they don't allow me entry Thanks

19-Jul-14
You should be fine

19-Jul-14
There's a form you can fill out and submit to, I think the embassy. Once sent back, you can show it to the guy at the border. If I'm right, it doesn't guarantee you entry, but it shows them that all your ducks are in a row.

19-Jul-14
We had to leave a guy on the us side years ago that had a DUI when he was 19years old and he was 50 at the time. The shoot was only 15 miles into Canada. and he was not driving

19-Jul-14
Thirty years hunting in Ontario. Have had many hunters held up for extended periods of time or turned away because of DUI. Some 20 or more years in the past. Do the paper work in advance it should help ave some potential headaches.

19-Jul-14
I did the paper work, it takes a long time ago start early. I was asked nothing the year I did the paper work. Went back a few years ago over ten post the dui. He asked a few questions said it was over ten years I said yes then showed him my expired paper work. He said interesting is expired I will keep this. You are clear to go have a good trip. The law changed some since I did the paper work and I think after ten years with no other trouble your fine

20-Jul-14
It says right on their site that no matter what paper work you fill out it is ultimately up to the border agent whether or not you get across or not. I have been brought into the office and told that I would have to pay $200 to get across and other times they have let me right through. My DUI was 14 years ago now and I just don't worry about it anymore. A couple years ago I started to do all the paper work but then got lazy and tossed it all. They wanted to know every address I've had and every job I've had since the age of 18. They also require that you write a little paper on why you are not a threat to the Canadian people. I've just decided if I every do get kicked back across the border, from that point on I'll just hunt and fish in my own country.

20-Jul-14
the problem it is inconsistent.

had a guy in bear camp that we hunted with multiple times..........he would go up multiple times each year and had for about 15 years. then one spring he gets to the border and they won't let him in. what are you going to do..............bust through the gates.............i don't think so.............their country, their rules, their application of their rules in their country.

you probably won't have a problem if you do what you are supposed to, but there is no appeal process when you are in the moment up against a customs agent who wants to play God.

20-Jul-14
The law just recently changed. If it's over 10 years with no other convictions your fine.

The dui will still show up on the computer for many years to come though. Go to NOTO.ca. They have information on their site.

If more than 5 years and less than 10 and no other convictions, you are eligible for 1 waver, costs about $200.00 ca funds. The waver is at the agents discretion.

20-Jul-14
Sounds like we've become Canada's Mexico! Lol

20-Jul-14
I got a life time pardon took me 3 years and 1000$ but I got it.

21-Jul-14
I do not know if this would be helpful or not but here are my experiences with this and similar issues crossing to hunt. I have had many clients who hunted up there from around NNY and NE US. Always asked that question and advised them to do the paperwork. My experiences: Had a BIG farmer from NNY who booked a DIY hunt for himself and five of his employees. He is a bowhunter but there was a mix of bow and gun in the group. He went to register his gun and there was no problem. One of his employees convinced him that he had to register his bow...so he went to do so. The officer thought that odd and ran him on immigration. He showed a DUI in Canada and one in the US. The officer then informed him he was not going anywhere. Being somewhat hot-headed he told the officer he would soon see about that. He and his father did purchase all their machinery/fert./seeds, etc in Quebec. He went back the next day after a few phone calls, met the same officer who smiled and told him that it appeared he could go, no problem......true story. Two years ago my friend and I nearly had a difficulty as an officer who was CLEARLY an anti-hunter made it questionable. Both of us have hunted up there together over twenty years and he ran both of us on immigration when we crossed at Calais, Maine. My friend showed a minor game law violation and a biker situation on a run to Daytona both over thirty years ago that the court dismissed. That officer was a snake...period. When inspecting our rifles he forced us to walk far away from the cases (never happened ever before), wished the moose to have better luck than us as he sarcastically told us to close our cases. I politely offered to bring him some fresh moose meat. It is totally up to the individual officer given whatever circumstances. Check with the nearest Canadian consulate office and with the websites. Any doubt; do whatever paperwork necessary. We no longer cross at that point in Maine rather crossing at the same rural crossing in NNY/QC and staying in CA for the remainder of the trip to the Rock. The time to hunt NL again draws neigh!!!!

23-Jul-14
A DUI here in the states is considered a felony up in Canada. I know numerous people that have been turned away due to them (DUI's). I wouldn't chance it......better to try get a pardon, but like the previous posts have said, that can take a while and some $$.

I found this for you. Look it over.....

Can I enter Canada and the U.S. if I have a DUI on my record?

As a general rule, Canada does not allow persons with DUI's to enter their country, although travelers who require in-depth information regarding the process of applying for a waiver or other admissibility questions can reach the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) during regular business hours, Monday to Friday (08:00 - 16:00 local time, except holidays) by calling either (506)636-5064 or (204)983-3500.

You may also view the following links with CBSA on their waiver process:

Citizenship & Immigration (for related policies and procedures on waivers): http://www.cic.gc.ca/ CBSA?s home page: http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html CBSA?s Contact page: http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/bis-sif-eng.html CBSA?s info for non-Canadians: http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/noncan-eng.html

23-Jul-14
The links kind of got jumbled a little on the previous post.

Citizenship & Immigration (for related policies and procedures on waivers): http://www.cic.gc.ca/

CBSA's home page: http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

CBSA's Contact page: http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/bis-sif-eng.html

CBSA's info for non-Canadians: http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/noncan-eng.html

23-Jul-14
Kind of wondering...why in the heck would you come on Bowsite to get answers to a question that's so important?

You did the crime, take the time to get things right as best you can. If you need to, get an attorney to look into it for you to make sure you understand everything.

DUIs are pretty serious...ask the families who have lost someone to a drunk driver.

23-Jul-14
They are very serious, writer. But that wasn't the question, was it?

Good luck.

23-Jul-14
lungshot that funny, but sadly true in some ways! What a wreck we are! Can't stand what's happening to the country I love. Moreover, I can't believe so many people still don't vote!

23-Jul-14
Probably many from Bowsite have had experiences with the issues that arise such as this. No question that DUIs are very serious. Canada does provide a means for entry with respect to that issue. There is paperwork and a "tax" involved. Even then I am not 100% sure that is an automatic in. Started entering Canada as soon as I could legally drive and was never stopped for any reason. Started hunting there in 1987 and was never questioned in depth until after 9/11. For anyone who knows the QC/US border, there is plenty of illegal traffic both ways and officers have a duty to step up enforcement and they have seriously done so. For example, two years ago, when checking our guns on entry, the officer noticed we had no cables or trigger locks on the rifles even though the bolts were out. As we walked out to the truck with him he politely told us to get locks on the guns. Next stop was a Walmart! He was polite and professional but meant what he said. The determination as to entry may be the sole responsibility of the officer; I do not really know. That is why folks ask such questions on the site here as many of us enjoy hunting in Canada. In reverse, if you are Canadian, it is interesting when you try to bring your gun into the US!

23-Jul-14
I'm not much of a drinker and have never had a DUI, so it's not an issue for me, but I would think the outfitters in Canada would be lobbying or doing something to remedy this problem... We are spending a lot of money to go to Canada.... boosting their economy quite a bit.. I can understand someone who has had multiple DUI's not being allowed to enter, but come on....someone who was young and dumb and had a DUI 15 or 20 years ago? The DUI thing is hurting the outfitters business...

Several years ago I was hunting in Alberta.. The outfitter told me he had a hunter come in from the U.S. and when going through customs in Edmonton (he had flown in) they discovered he'd had a DUI at some point in the past... They turned him back... They put him on a plane back home...he forfeited the money he had paid the outfitter ($6,000 at the time).. His fault for not checking things out beforehand, but ouch!!! Some outfitters tell people upfront that if they have had a DUI to do whatever is necessary to get it cleared up, but not all mention it...

Some changes need to be made regarding hunting in Canada and Canadians hunting here.. It ticks me off that I have to hire a guide to hunt in Canada, but they can come to Montana and hunt anything we have here without a guide if they have the licenses... And we get quite a few Canadians who come here to hunt. I don't think it is much of an issue for a Canadian to enter the U.S. if they've had a DUI or at least I've never heard of it being a problem and I know a lot of Canadians...we're only about 30 miles from the border and I have a lot of friends there...

23-Jul-14
Canadian's can't get a permit at the US border for long guns. Have to apply in advance. Takes a couple of months. It's harder to take a weapon into the states than into Canada.

23-Jul-14
I'm curious about the treatment of a particular crime here in the states vs Canada. I find it odd that if certain DUIs are misdemeanors here and Felonies there, they'll consider you a dangerous person, but still let you in if you pay a fine.

Does the USA just give them free access to our FBI Database?

I was traveling to Manitoba in November of 2001, they detained a LOT of people for prior arrests, some were charged fines, and some were denied entry altogether. Ruined a lot of Hunting trips.

One other time I took my three sons to Toronto and a woman at customs gave me a hard time because I didn't have a letter from my ex wife saying that I could take my kids into Canada. I calmly explained the law to her as I had researched it pretty thoroughly. When she told me that she could deny us entry, I asked for her to call over a supervisor. When he heard why I was there, and I showed him copies of the written regulations from their own website, he let us right in.

I know that border agents have a tough job to do, and they almost always do it well, and respectfully, but once in a while you will run into someone who either doesn't know the rules or doesn't care and thinks that THEY make the rules. I suppose that it is also possible that they may have a lot of discretion in who they let through.

They always get uneasy when your plans inside their country seem up in the air, so explain where you are gong and where you are staying. Oh, and NEVER tell them that your profession is "Consultant" that word must be on some list someplace.

I've always found that it pays to be early, be polite, answer their questions without offering too much extra info, then, if it doesn't seem to be going according to plan, you can calmly explain to them that you researched the rules, and of course have a copy of them on you which you can offer to show them. If you get someone who is overly empowered by their badge, ask for a supervisor before anything gets heated.

Usually, and I mean almost always, it will be a non-issue and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

23-Jul-14
My wife and I was stopped on the way into Canada. We were advised that my wife and I had been selected for a random background check. They asked if I have ever had a DUI. I said yes 23 years ago. The lady said that should be ok. I said excuse me miss but that was 23 years ago, when I was young and dumb. She said Canada frowns upon DUI's. An hour later my wife and I were permitted to leave but not after they asked us why we had concealed carry permits. Our reply was because we can.

23-Jul-14
There is some pretty BS posts above with guys shooting from the hip as to a very important question... I certainly hope that you see this and understand it. As pointed out by writer if you are serious about hunting or just traveling through Canada do the proper homework in advance or you will find yourself at the complete discretion of a border officer who may allow or deny entry to anyone simply based on how his breakfast tasted that morning...

23-Jul-14
This has answered a lot of of questions I have regarding plans to visit Canada [and by extension, the US] from here in the UK, within the next two years.

Best I talk to both Embassies now.

25-Jul-14
Writer,I asked on here because a lot of guys hunt Canada and have friends that do also.DUIs are very common so I knew people would have firsthand experience.I'm not paying a lawyer to gain me entry into Canada.I would sooner hunt elsewhere.Just wanted to know their experiences.I got the info I needed thanks to all u guys and didn't pay a lawyer a dime I assume u had bad experience with drunk driver by the tone of your post.Its not as if I'm proud of myself.Its a mistake I made over 10 years ago and gave up drinking since Thank u guys for the help

25-Jul-14
Do the paperwork to make certain. Learned that lesson the hard way in 2001 on a spring bear hunt to Sask. Four of us drove from PA to North Dakota to cross the border. One of the guys had a DUI and his paperwork was apparently not completed to their liking.

After a delay of an hour or so, they had all of us unpack all of our gear out of the Suburban and trailer, lined us up and had a drug dog check everything out (found nuthin cause we had nuthin). Even after all that, they still would not let him through, so we had to backtrack 100 miles to an airport and drop him off.

Kind of an eye opener for me, since I thought we were just a bunch of older guys, going out to the middle of the bush, not bothering anybody and supporting an outfitter and the local economy a little.

26-Jul-14
OK I saw this thread before but didn't bother to reply. There is a solution. Yes each border agent can be different depending on his or her mood that day. BUT... you can eliminate that variable. I did.

Contact the Canadian Consulate General. There are several of them. I worked with one in Detroit. Fill out the paperwork for criminal rehabilitation under the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Get your PERMANENT rehabilitation approved. They asked "Do you want temporary or permanent exemption?" I asked is there anything different about the approval process? They said no just check permanent if you want it to be forever. So I did.

It's a bit of a lengthy process and there's a fee of a couple hundred bucks... of course. You have to go to a state police barracks and get fingerprinted. Mail one copy of the prints to the FBI for recording and wait for a letter back from the FBI verifying that you did so. Include the other copy with your application along with a passport size photo. There are a few other small hoops but nothing major. They said it could take a year to approve. I said I have a trip coming up in 6 weeks. They said oh ok, then we'll make sure we do it by then and they did. That was in 2005 and never a problem since... even when someone tried to ruin my day. They send you a letter that says your entry is no longer prohibited. Since then I have had the little peons in the booth say no go... and went into the immigration office inside where they said "Those idiots outside just waste our time" and told me welcome to Canada and good luck hunting or fishing. The kiddies in the booth don't know all of the ins & outs of border crossing believe it or not. The letter trumps any people who are on power trips. You have to make and keep a copy of the letter because you only get one and carry it with you any time you enter the country. THAT is the final word on getting in regardless of DUIs.

Here ya' go:

Canadian Consulate General

Suite 1100

600 Renaissance Center

Detroit, Michigan U.S.A. 48243-1798

Good luck!

And by the way.... MOST of the laws that have to do with entering Canada are nothing but reciprocal ones based on the United States laws that were imposed since the beloved Homeland Security act. So don't judge the good people of Canada because of the crap you might get at the border. We got what we asked for. Fact.

26-Jul-14
Glad you're on track. I got lucky in college, but got smarter when I had kids.

NEVER had a DUI, or can think of when I could have gotten one had I been stopped. It would end my career immediately, embarrass my family and me, and put lives in danger.

Not a prude, not holier than anyone, I've just seen what drinking, and driving drunk, can do to families.

I have, though, seen a lot of crappy, bad advice given out on Bowsite and other sites. I deal in facts for a living, too many times people go to the wrong places to get them about wildlife and wildlife regulations.

I about got turned away at the border one time with our then young son because I didn't have a signed, notarized letter from his mother (my wife) saying I had permission to take him across the border. A buddy/booking agent assured me there would be no problems as long as we had passports or birth certificates.

One border agent wasn't going to let us go through customs. Another was kind enough to question our son off to the side and figured out we are one happy family.

Had we not gotten to go on that fishing trip, it would have been on me.

At least you can trust the Canadian border agents to not steal when they search your luggage, not stick a hand out wanting a bribe, not try to get you to go to this bar or that bar when you're free to go.

Guess which direction that's been from the U.S. ?

26-Jul-14
Wow. I have never seen any of this and I have been through canadian customs on fishing trips with people that I'm pretty sure had MULTIPLE DWI's.

26-Jul-14
Same here Straight. Many times. They just slip through the cracks. Some border crossings such as in Maine heading to new Brunswick don't seem to care. But then one day......

26-Jul-14
I am considering a bear hunt to Manitoba by air or vehicle through BC or Alberta. My situation is that I was cited for concealed carry in 1999 (a misdemeanor in Calif) as I did not have a permit. I had grabbed my son's handbag off a shelf at home and unknown to me had his registered .380 pistol inside. I checked the bag for contents before loading the bag but did not see or feel it. It was discovered when I used the bag as a carry on to board a plane. The citation has been expunged from my record supposedly as if it never happened. My record is completely clean never having even a traffic ticket and holding a "secret clearance" at one time. Will I have a problem entering Canada as stated above? Will contacting those cited in the posts above be helpful? Thanks for posting this thread and those commenting.

26-Jul-14
In 1997 I was turned away at the border and told my name was now entered in their system that I had a DUI from years ago and that I had tried to enter Canada. They said we are warning you that our system has been updated to reflect that this has just been explained to you on this date and that if I ever try to cross the border again in the future I could be arrested because I now know they consider me a danger to their people.

It was put in a way where they now know about my DUI and I now know the rules they have on entry if you have a DUI and they recorded it was explained to me clearly and if I ever tried to cross in the future I would get in trouble for it

I was pissed and I think I said something dumb to the effect that no one gets in that had a DUI no matter how long ago it was? They said yep. I said no exceptions? They said nope. I said well you let G.W Bush in and then I walked away. lol.

I will check on the new rules because my DUI is so old that if the rules have changed I can hunt in Canada again.

To the OP, I would suggest calling them and finding out.

By the way it appears many bowsite hunters were drunk drivers at one point. lol

27-Jul-14
Over twenty-seven years of hunting in Canada I have made some lasting friendships with the outfitters and guides. Going back as often as I can to hunt or fish is important to me as age is slowly becoming a factor. Sometimes something like a DUI so long age seems a foolish reason to be denied entry. My concealed carry pistol lic. which I had in NY since 1968 caused me to be "checked" a number of times upon crossing. (after 9/11) Some of you "older" caribou hunters may remember the issue of the cow brain disease and the USDA was going to ban anything "caribou" coming into the country. My congressman at that time helped remove that barrier. I was really perplexed at that one as I have never seen "bovines" among the caribou herds in all the years up there. Just another point: If you are using a rifle up there; I believe you must carry your import papers on you. Two NL wildlife officers checked my guide and I two years ago and the guide had to produce his lic. to guide in NL as he is from NS and I was asked for my import papers, etc.

27-Jul-14
Hammer: That is a classic case of someone with a bit of authority who A) Has a bit of an attitude. & B) Just simply doesn't know the laws.

Even an expunged offense still shows up in the system. It is just that they are not "supposed to" be able to hold that against you. That is not to say they can't have an attitude because of it.

My dui was in 1992. 22 years ago. That doesn't matter. It is what it is. One main question that you may encounter upon entry is "Have you even been denied entry into Canada" For those who have slipped through the cracks with a DUI the honest answer is no. And they may still slip through the cracks.

But to be safe see my post above and take the time to get the letter that will take care of everything. If you do that you will be fine.

Last month I went up to muskie fish at Lake Saint Clair (Ontario) In the immigration office we had some laughs. The woman put it to me this way "Have you had any other issues since receiving this letter or have you been a good boy" with a smile and a laugh. I said I'm all grown up now, no problems. We both howled and she said this stuff is ridiculous and told me to have a good time. I said I will, Canadian beer is yummy. She laughed again, handed me my paperwork and sent me on my merry way. Just doing her job.

27-Jul-14
cariboken

"I politely offered to bring him some fresh moose meat."

That jerk might have tried to turn that into a bribe offer.

27-Jul-14
Mule,

I will check into it

27-Jul-14
I have a friend who joined our annual Canada fishing trip 5 years ago. He didn't tell us he had a DUI (1987) until 2 years ago. He's never been asked about it at (we cross at Ft Frances) in the 5 trips he's attended with us. How is that? I'm wondering if I should have him fill out the paperwork or just go with the flow since he has never been asked about it.

28-Jul-14
I'm planning on visiting Canada [Rockies in Alberta] by 2016 and would hate to have saved precious vacation time, flown thousands of miles from the UK to Canada for a [belated] combined honeymoon and elk hunt, only to be denied entry...all for the sake of a few phone calls, some paperwork and a small fee

29-Jul-14
Thanks for the great info! I had no idea of that law & was considering a Mountain Caribou hunt that came up for this September. My DUI is over 25 years ago & after reading this thread I cancelled the hunt. I will take the advice given here & get the proper paperwork filled out ASAP. I just couldn't afford to chance it & get turned away at the Edmonton airport! David

11-Aug-14
Thanks Mule Power!!!I got offered a great trip to Newfoundland for this year.I guess I should get going with the process and see if I can take the hunt

11-Aug-14
As soon as they swipe your passport, your last date of entry immediately shows up no matter how long ago. When they ask you certain questions, they already know the answer before you respond. They already know an individual was denied in the past when they swipe a passport. They ask just to see if your honestly answering the question.

11-Aug-14
I'm glad this helped others out as much as it did for me.Or at least opened some peoples eyes before booking a trip and getting denied entry.Mule power, I sent u a pm.Hoping Ican get mine done quick like you did and need some pointers/help

11-Aug-14
I'd sure love to know how this turns out, Good luck!

11-Aug-14
Do we do that for people coming in from Canada?

11-Aug-14
Nope, Can't tell if they have been drinking or not! Always act strange! LOL, I am up in bear camp now waiting for opener so I can talk smart.

11-Aug-14
Unfortunately Canadians with DUI's can cross into the States no problem.

• Sitka Gear