Purdue 23-Jul-14
HDE 23-Jul-14
Bou'bound 23-Jul-14
TD 23-Jul-14
Purdue 23-Jul-14
Saxton 24-Jul-14
Bou'bound 25-Jul-14
20-Jul-14
what is the old why of doing this im new to bow hunting i dont have all the big was of do it and i got axis arrow and muzzy 3 blade broad heads

20-Jul-14
It doesn't matter, no need to align them unless you'd like to.

20-Jul-14
It supposedly makes your broadhead fly better, plain less but it doesn't. Nothing beats a well tuned bow. redneck, you really need to work on your typing. Your post are painful to read.

20-Jul-14
Screw them on and shoot them if there a multi- blade

20-Jul-14
Give him a break on his grammar. He has a disability.

Do as BigDan says. Screw them on and shoot.

20-Jul-14
Sorry if I misjudged you, redneck. We do get an occasional crackpot, so it is sometimes hard to distinguish.

No need to align blades with fletching, although it doesn't hurt anything to align them. Just make sure broadheads don't wobble when you spin them.

Good luck with your efforts at bowhunting. Again, sorry for my error.

20-Jul-14
Class act Sundowner.

Everyone deserves a fair shake, no matter what.

Even though Bowsite can be rough sometimes Redneck, you've come to the right place because it has heart.

Asking questions is not a crime, do your best to explain and ask, there's a mountain of hunters and archery techs here that can and will give advice.

Learn how to search the forums, lots of great advice and information on all of them.

I asked this same question a year or so ago and tested it, there is zero benefit.

Glad to have you, and get that bow to a shop.

20-Jul-14
Rutnut, maybe you need to work on your spelling, capitalization, and grammar. 4 sentences, 3 mistakes. The pot calling......

20-Jul-14
Blade alignment doesn't matter on any setup as the arrow spins in flight no matter what. Now that being said, back in the old days, a Bear Super Razor needed to be either straight up and down or rotated in towards the riser slightly. Why, don't know. Any other alignment they flew like a sidewinder missile.

With today's short ferrel and low profile designs, it doesn't matter.

20-Jul-14
thank you hde

21-Jul-14
My 3 vanes are always lined up with my 3 blades. It's a detail thing. Makes me feel more confident and I need that feeling! Good luck!

21-Jul-14
With my set up it seems to be more consistant with my Stingers vertical.

21-Jul-14
It does matter - just not for aerodynamic or flight reasons. If you shoot with a bow quiver, most are very compact. If you align the fletching with the BH, you can always use the same, original slots in the foam without worrying about the fletches mashing together. Otherwise, you wind up cutting the foam to shreds pretty quickly. And as others have said, details and consistency are good, and aligning them can't hurt.

21-Jul-14
I have always aligned my heads with the vanes. Whether a 2-blade or a 3 or 4 blade head. Always have, always will. To me, it makes a difference. If they are aligned, then they seem to fly better and hit where I'm aiming. Heads that aren't aligned as such are not as consistant.

>>>>-------->

21-Jul-14
I can appreciate the broadhead - fletching quiver thing, but that's about it as far as what matters.

Experiment with one arrow and several different broadheads (same make) that would have a different alignment or several arrows with the same broadhead and betcha they all fly the same. If not, use a different make and model of broadhead until you find one that doesn't matter on alignment. Way too many variables at play when it's crunch time for the broadhead thing to even be a factor.

21-Jul-14

Bou'bound's Link
The attached link provides all you need to know and it does it with pictures to make it really easy to follow.

21-Jul-14
I should have said it doesn't make a difference in flight for a 3-blade head. It could very well make a difference for a 2-blade head. No arrow leaves the bow with the BH exactly lined up with the direction of flight, even if perfectly tuned; the arrow still flexes, possibly exposing the side of the blade to the air flow depending on how it is oriented. With a 3-blade, the side area exposed is the same regardless of orientation. Not so with 2 blades.

21-Jul-14
Now all you need is a 'Dick and Jane, see Spot run' reference and the tutorial will be complete.

21-Jul-14
Complete waste of time!

21-Jul-14
I experimented with this years ago. Couldn't tell that it makes any difference at all. never even crosses my mind these days, honestly.

21-Jul-14
I've never seen where aligning them with the vanes helped one bit with the flight or accuracy of the arrow. They either flew well or they didn't. Can't figure out scientifically why it would help when using a three blade broadhead. Maybe someone knows why it should or shouldn't help? For the time being I believe it would be a waste of time.

21-Jul-14
"No need to do it", but I'm more comfortable doing it with shoot-thru blind screens. Really not that much trouble.

-Joe

22-Jul-14
One more thought. Obviously you can't align a 2-blade head with the vanes on a 3-fletch arrow. However, indexing them all the same with the nock may provide better consistency.

22-Jul-14
I still use little rubber o-rings to get my broadheads aligned with the fletchings.

22-Jul-14
Spinning a BH is no guarantee that it is straight. It only checks that the point is centered on the longitudinal axis of the shaft. Conversely, one that wobbles may still be straight with the point just not centered. It could wobble because the point is ground off center or the shaft/insert/ferrule interface is not perfectly concentric. If you then "fix" that wobble by spin checking, you may be making the flight characteristics worse by aligning the point by misaligning the BH. Unfortunately, spin checking is the only reasonable way to approximate a straight BH without complicated jigs.

22-Jul-14
With a tuned bow it doesn't make a difference!

23-Jul-14
Kyle you still out there?

23-Jul-14
Alignment is critical with larger heads buy not so much with vanes as how they are oriented comingboit if the bow. Some shoot better aligned hrizonyal and others vertical. Figure out what's best and align acirdingly. Thick gloves have an affect and Broadhead alignment can course them to hit your globe's if shooting a shirt arrow.

23-Jul-14
It doesn't matter. I'm like Charlie it's a detail thing!

23-Jul-14
"This is not to line up the blades with the vanes, which has zero effect on aerodynamics, it is to index the arrows/blades to the same position on the bow so that the effects of variations in nock travel are minimized, which is related to aerodynamics."

Agreed. As others have said, consistency is usually a good idea - especially for the first few yards after the arrow leaves the bow. (This is even more critical when shooting large two-blade heads with fingers than when using smaller four-bladers and a release.)

23-Jul-14
I thought nock travel was a function of bow/cam design. How does broadhead orientation effect nock travel?

23-Jul-14
Insert nocks and inserts themselves are aligned according to the straightness of the inner diameter of the shaft and condition of fit. An end not perfectly square would not have a mystical affect on the flight of the arrow. If the shaft isn't true, you may experience issues.

Don't overthink it. It's easy to reason yourself into issues that don't really matter.

blade alignmemt to vanes, case by case basis - trial and error...

23-Jul-14
Kyle you still out there?

23-Jul-14
To me? no. makes no difference. Screw on a head that spins perfect and go.

But then I'll have 2 or 3 totally different broadheads in the quiver at times. They all hit to the same spot.

It was way more important with big two blade heads shooting fingers. Usually a horizontal blade orientation gave the best flight as with fingers a horizontal oscillation (or whatever you want to call it...) is applied to the arrow at release. The blade started off by catching the least amount of air possible with that movement.

Releases and modern rests eliminate most of the horizontal component, but some bows introduce a vertical one with nock travel. A bow out of time makes that even worse. Thus a vertical orientation may give best flight out of a compound shot with release.

A timed and tuned bow with a release.... no, not going to gain much if any for the effort. Add a multi bladed well vented head and it's not going to be seen at all. Sure looks purdy in the quiver though.... =D

Not a small effort either, to do it right you have to build each arrow specifically for one head. I'd spend a great deal of time tearing down and rebuilding arrows all year long.

Literally..... screw that.... and screw another one on....

23-Jul-14
I don't see how a peep, silencers, string stops, etc. would have much to do with nock travel. To me, cam lean and cam design have the only significant effect on nock travel. However, arrow flex yeild the same effect as non-straight nock travel. Theoretically spike bull has a point, but TD's explanation is the real world for a modern release shooter. Broadhead alignment is just busy work for the nerds. Effort that's wasted at the slightest temperature change......theoretically.

24-Jul-14
No need to align blades with fletch.

The arrow spins as it flys. The BH will not be in the same plain of air by the time the fletching goes through the same spot.

25-Jul-14
Kyle you still out there? Oh where oh where have you gone. Kind of like a candle on he wind. Four strange posts one morning and then up and poof like a fart in the breeze.

if you are areound let us know if you got an answer to your question of

" what is the old why of doing this im new to bow hunting i dont have all the big was of do it and i got axis arrow and muzzy 3 blade broad heads "

• Sitka Gear