jtelarkin08 24-Jul-14
howie 25-Jul-14
Julius K 25-Jul-14
Tilzbow 25-Jul-14
X-Master 25-Jul-14
Shiras 25-Jul-14
bnt40 25-Jul-14
22-Jul-14
I just got out of a horrible case of target panic last winter by shooting a back tension release (Scott Longhorn). Shot great with it all winter and spring and just started shooting my index finger release (short n sweet) the last month or so. Just wondering if any of you guys shoot a back tension for hunting?

22-Jul-14
I hunt with the Scott Longhorn. I would prefer an index finger release, but every time I go back, I start flinching and punching. I shot my bear this spring with the back tension release and it worked great.

22-Jul-14
A thumb activated handheld might work better, I think a backtension would be a lot harder to pull off a fast shot if needed, when I start getting flinch I use my thumb trigger (tru-ball st360)and that helps me get over it. target panick sucks!

22-Jul-14
Any release can be shot with back tension.

I assume you are talking about a hinge. Many hunt with them but I prefer a thumb trigger like my Hot Shot Eclipse. I shoot it with back tension regardless of whether punching paper or punching holes in game.

22-Jul-14
Its hard to describe how bad target panic sucks to people that never had it. It's brutal!!

22-Jul-14
Chad429 exactly. Agree, people just have no clue. I did shoot a whitetail last year using back tension and a longhorn hex. I practice all year with it but will hunt with a trigger release this year. I do use back tension to get the trigger to fire though.

22-Jul-14
I hunt with a Stan Element pull through type release. Killed several animals with it and with a Carter Evolution. No problems getting a shot off when needed.

22-Jul-14
I use a pair of Stan Shootoffs for indoor, 3d and hunting. I set the trigger heavy and use back tension to fire them off.

22-Jul-14
They absolutely can used for hunting. I shot a Carter Backstrap exclusively for 2 1/2yrs. Although I've since been able to transition back to an index finger release, like many others I use strictly back tension to fire it.

22-Jul-14
It's all the same psychology......You can solve the issue with a trigger release.

Take a trigger release and rotate your shoulder at full draw toward the bow riser as if you were going to touch your nose with your trigger finger.

Now you should be able to put trigger in fatty second joint of trigger finger which reduces tactile stimuli received from trigger.

Now the hard part......

Practice squeezing your shoulder blades together while keeping a relaxed (very,very the better) bow arm.

I promise you it will come.IF you will practice every single shot like this FOREVER you will be able to hunt with a trigger and even snap shoot occasionally on game if you never do it practicing.

You may need to close your eyes on a very large target to start but whatever it takes to embed and disassociate the physical aspects of shooting with the anticipation of the shot.

Relax,stay calm and don't care where the arrow hits and it will work closer and closer over time.

Like alcoholism.....always respect your propensity to flinch and NEVER punch trigger in practice.Your are a flinchaholic and will fall off the wagon if you think you aren't :)

You are never cured, just stabilized.....

22-Jul-14
I have used a back tension release a lot for hunting. Shot everything from small game, and turkies, to elk. Works very well, and is very deadly.

23-Jul-14
I too have had issues with TP. Recently, I purchased a Carter Squeeze me Release. I blind baled with it for 30 days, and am now shooting at close range. It takes me a long time to get my release to go off...longer than when I did it blind baling. How long does it take you fellas to make your back tension releases to go off?

23-Jul-14
It takes me 3 - 5 seconds to get my Carter RX2 trigger release to go off using back tension.

23-Jul-14
When I first got my longhorn last winter I made a homemade training tool with a cutoff broom stick and a bungee cord fastened to it with a loop on it. Nothing fancy but I would draw and just let the release go off over and over until I got comfortable with it. Then I attached a sight and worked on holding on a spot and releasing. I did all this for a month this winter all before I even picked up my bow. When I finally picked up the bow to shoot it was a huge difference, my aiming was so much better I could hold my pin on target a lot better and longer.

23-Jul-14
Chad49 I too shoot with a ShortNSweet BUT I shoot it with back tension. As Genesis said be sure to shoot it with the trigger in the 2nd joint of your finger NEVER the tip! I shoot the release with the middle finger and have for years now. It goes back to when I was fighting target panic. It really helped me to switch fingers.

I never punch the trigger any more. When target practicing it takes about 3-5 seconds for the release to go off using back tension. When I take a shot hunting though I can't tell you how long it takes - all I ever remember is concentrating on aiming at a small spot on the animal and wham the release goes off.

Good luck!

23-Jul-14
i went from a short and sweet to the truefire thumb release a couple years ago. similar to the backtension, i clamp it on and done worrying about it if im in a treestand. i have one with a elastic cord that i hang on my wrist if i am hiking. made the switch because i was hanging up with the trigger. dont see myself going back, although i still have 2 short and sweets (just in case)

23-Jul-14
Genesis that was a great post on target panic.

Absolutely right about disassociating the anticipation of the shot. The book Instinctive Archery Insights has a great chapter on target panic.

Here's an exercise I do that I got the idea from that book. Go through your shot routine just like you are going to shoot only you are NOT going to shoot. Put your pin on the bull's eye, move it off the bull's eye left- back to center, right- back to center, up- back to center and down - back to center. Mix it up but you get the idea. You'll find you'll soon be able to move the pin onto the bull's eye with no anxiety because you are not going to shoot.

After awhile, I mean days and longer than you will want to do, start holding longer on the bull's eye until you get to the point you can put the pin on the bull's eye and just hold it there without shooting. When you think you are ready maybe shoot every 3rd or 4th shot. If TP starts creeping back in go back to the drill.

Hope this helps.

24-Jul-14
Agree with what Genesis stated, "You are never cured, just stabilized....." It is always lurking in the background.

24-Jul-14
Hi my name is Steve and I have TP/PE. It started back around the 1st of June and progressed to the point that I pretty much completely defecated the mattress at the Rinehart 100 at the end of June. At that point I shut it down for a couple weeks and watched all the You Tube stuff and bought a Scott Longhorn Hex - 2 finger that Winke recommends. I really like the release and it has worked great at bringing it under control but I have had a couple slight relapses in the past week or so - I think due to the clicker. The audible sound wants to make me punch it! My question is "How do you get rid of the clicker"? I really have to blame Scott on this one as there are no instructions included in with the release package when you buy it. Do you have to completely disassemble the hook /hinge to change it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

24-Jul-14
Steve, if you want to get rid of the click all you do is reverse the half moon. I would recommend against using without the click if you are fighting target panic. You should not be aiming at the time it clicks anyways. Once you get to the point where you hear the click, than start aiming and use back tension to set it off.

But if you want to remove the click, reverse the half moon. You first need to loosen a bolt/screw coming in from the back side and than you punch out the little rod that holds half moon in place. Rod should come out easily once you loosen the set screw. Switch half moon around, reinstall rod and tighten set screw. Moving/rotating the moon up or down increases or decreases how hot or easily the release fires.

PM if you need more info.

24-Jul-14
The mind is a very powerful thing. It can overcome anything, to include target panic. Then again, I've never had it, so what do I know.

As far as the question about using a back tension release to hunt with. I can't think of any reason a person would hunt with an actual back tension release (shooting with back tension on another release is different). When I draw my bow back to shoot an animal, I want to be in total control so I can shoot exactly when I need to. Nothing like being able to squeeze off a shot in that 1-2 second moment that an animal offers a small window of opportunity. You can't do that with a back tension release.

24-Jul-14
Well Nick, I may have to disagree with your logic.

If one "has to" hit the trigger at precise moment, or not at all.... those are the moments we look back on after a failed all day tracking job and say to ourselves, "I should have just waited for another opportunity on another day".

I don't hunt with a hinge, but if I practiced with one, I would definitely hunt with it. I wouldn't want a rooky hunting with a hinge, but if you shoot with it all year, then switching to something else just for hunting, could cause serious confidence problems at the moment of truth. IMHO

24-Jul-14
Nick, I know you're trying to be helpful, so I'll be kind. ;-)

You give advice concerning target panic..."The mind is a very powerful thing. It can overcome anything, to include target panic". However in the very next sentence you admit "Then again, I've never had it..."

Unless someone has experienced it, they have ZERO idea how completely destructive it can be. No one says a back tension release is the best option for hunting, however for those trying to control TP, it's the ONLY option! Causing that release to fire in 1-2 seconds is one of the main factors that causes TP. If you've never had TP, then thank the Lord above. However, if you have, you need to learn to LET the release happen, not MAKE it happen.

24-Jul-14
x-man, nowhere in my post did I say "hit".

I understand what both of you are saying but, in the end....a persons mind is what is used to overcome any obstacle in life, including TP.

24-Jul-14
I am hunting with either a thumb trigger or my longhorn pro this year.. I havent decided..

I dont have target panic with my index trigger release... BUT I cannot hold as steady and I cannot make the trigger go off.. I will sit there and look at my spot until i cant see strait and it wont go off.. BC the strap is attached to my wrist I cannot make it go off with backtension

I shoot a MUCH smaller group with my back tension and if i need to shoot it in less than 2 seconds i am really good at speeding up my shot without completely dumping it..

25-Jul-14
I've killed hundreds of animals with a carter backstrap, once your familiar with how the release functions, and by adjusting the firing pressure, (a small Allen screw) your confidence will grow. It's made all the difference to my hunting and target shooting! No more anticipating or punching the trigger, happy days

25-Jul-14
I hunt with a hinge. I tried after many misses and a serious bout of target panic. I had the confidence to try it when I read and saw pictures of Dwight schuh was using a hinge ( ten years ago). I had been shooting one for three years at targets.

I have taken a dozen animals with it I the last few years. Hinges can be shot quickly despite popular belief. I have yet to have a moment when I couldn't shoot. I have over come target panic and can shoot a trigger very well, but I love my tru ball sweet spot. I do anticipate buying a tru ball gang four finger soon.

25-Jul-14
Nick,

Your post implied you "hit", "punch" or "consciously" squueze the trigger because you wrote,

" When I draw my bow back to shoot an animal, I want to be in total control so I can shoot exactly when I need to. Nothing like being able to squeeze off a shot in that 1-2 second moment that an animal offers a small window of opportunity."

Shooting in this style, without a true surprise release can and will lead to target panic for many people. It may never affect you but it's not good advice for many shooters and especially bad advice for someone who's trying to overcome TP. If you had you'd understand but I hope for your sake you never do....

I've had it with both trad gear and wheels and finally overcame it with the wheels this year after reading "Idiot Proof Archery" and developing a true surprise release using a trigger.

25-Jul-14
Thanks BNT40, I got it flipped over with no problem - in the process of adjusting it now. I'm going to try it for a while. Shot it a couple times in my basement and I think I might like the "No Click"/ no-warning better - seems like more of a surprise ? Guess I'll find out. Thanks again.

25-Jul-14
I've never had true target panic that I know of. However, I did get to a point where my groups were not what they once had been, and in fact were not very good at all.

There were two things that worked for me. I needed to look through the pin to the target (rather than trying to focus on the pin) and I switched to a thumb release. These two things have helped me tremendously. I'm not saying it will work for you, but it just may. Might be worth a try...

25-Jul-14
X master good luck with it. Shoot straight.

• Sitka Gear