SdDiamondArcher 25-Jul-14
bowriter 25-Jul-14
Franzen 25-Jul-14
SdDiamondArcher 25-Jul-14
mixed bag 27-Jul-14
Lost Arra 27-Jul-14
Woods Walker 27-Jul-14
22-Jul-14
This will be my first year elk hunting, and because of limited space and equipment, I want to take my elk (if I get one) to a processor for most of the work to be done. I live in Cheyenne, but Laramie would be the first town I come to on my way back home, so I would rather drop it off there than letting it ride in the truck for another hour back to Cheyenne. Can anyone recommend a good processor in Laramie that I can check out?

22-Jul-14
I think they opened one in walden last year that would be the closest I know of

22-Jul-14
Not to be a smart ass, but make sure the person taking your meat order can read and write. Found this out the hard way years ago in Montana. Ended up with twenty two roasts and nothing else. See you on the tundra. Rory

23-Jul-14
I can't imagine not taking it the "extra hour" drive back home to Cheyenne where you are familiar with everything. Are you planning on transporting the elk whole or something?

23-Jul-14
Agree with Franzen. That extra 45 min isn't going to make a difference either way.

Your choices are few and far between. The only place I know that does wild game processing in Laramie is Rainbow Meats. It's a part-time operation and he doesn't open until Aug 15. Have no idea about prices or quality. Merrill Meat Co. in Encampment is also an option, but again, can't speak for prices or quality.

The best place in Cheyenne was Crow Creek. Unfortunately, he does so much commercial buffalo processing he's basically gotten out of the wild game market. The only thing he'll still do is grind boneless cut trim for sausage and hamburger. I have a friend that had someone here in Cheyenne do his ram last year that he was happy with. I'll find out a name and send you a PM.

23-Jul-14
Encampment River Processing is about 1.5 hours from Laramie, the wrong way from Cheyenne, but Lloyd does a wonderful job. That's the only one I know of in the vicinity of Laramie. It's right in the center of Encampment. Not sure where in the Snowys you are hunting, but it might not be too far out of the way.

Keven

23-Jul-14
Rainbow meats treated me well when I lived in Laramie. It's just off Grand Ave south of the Subway near the UW dorms.

23-Jul-14
WOW! I went to school in Laramie in the early 70's, and at that time there was at least 3 places that would cut game, as well as beef. I never used them because we'd always do our own.

Times have changed I guess.

25-Jul-14
I went and talked to the guy at Crow Creek in Cheyenne, and they are trying to get away from doing wild game. They will only process meat if it is brought in deboned and cleaned. What a crock. Guess I will be buying some equipment and doing it myself. How is it that the second biggest town in Wyoming doesn't have a wild game processor?

25-Jul-14
Just go on and take it home. That hour won't matter and you can line up a processor in Cheyenne before you go. Just get a good running start off Pole Mountain.

25-Jul-14
Casper doesn't have a wild game processor? ;^)

25-Jul-14
from what I have gathered, there are no processors in Cheyenne that will take meat unless it has already been broken down and de-boned. If i am doing that, I might as well just finish it up and make my own burger/sausage/roasts.

27-Jul-14
I took all my antelope to encampment river processing ahead of my elk hunts.They did a great job and their snack sticks are excellent.Think the elk hunting is better out that way imo,too

27-Jul-14
I wonder if the Ag dept at UW still has the Game Processing class in the fall semester? Most enjoyable class I had in four years there. Lab was great. Had to buy a boning knife and you were graded on keeping it sharp. We cut up everything from elk to antelope. Smoked bear and fish. Made sausages, jerky. Cooked game meat in a variety of ways. I miss that class even though the classroom work was tough.

27-Jul-14
Lost Arra: When I went to UW in the early 70's there was an upper level anthroplogy class where they did a field trip during which they were left with a freshly killed ranch bison and they had to butcher it with stone tools that they made themselves.

That class almost made me change majors from Ag to Anthro!

• Sitka Gear