midwest 25-Jul-14
nvgoat 25-Jul-14
SoDakSooner 25-Jul-14
R. Hale 25-Jul-14
loprofile 25-Jul-14
R. Hale 25-Jul-14
TREESTANDWOLF 25-Jul-14
23-Jul-14
With the season right around the corner, some of us " rookies " I'm sure would be interested in what the experienced hunters carry up and down every hunt during the hunt.

Some items are obvious, but I'm sure, without any sort of guidance, us rookies may be forgetting something and you can't beat experience!

Thx for your input.

23-Jul-14
3 Liters of water in camelbak bladder, Havalon Knife with 4 blades, caribou kill kit, Large contractor trash bag, a very small role of flagging tape, rain gear, advil, tylenol, duct tape rapped around small pill bottle, water purification tablets, neosporin, super glue, 50' of para cord, food for the day, range finder, binocs, elk calls, Wind checker, cell phone for pictures and it as my gps, map and compass, baby wipes for cleaning up after a kill and if I have to go #2, head lamp, 2 AAA lithium batteries for back up

23-Jul-14
Water, pantyhose (for game bags), knife, paracord, space blanket, first aid kit, elk urine, extra Slipcover, food, knives/sharpener,cable saw, headlamps, batteries, GPS, InReach, camera and supplies, puffy vest, rain shell, tags/license, TP, matches/striker, tampons (for firestarter),extra fingertab, superglue, gloves, Steripen and prefilter, gaiters (if not wearing them)

I'm sure I'm forgetting something

23-Jul-14
Water.

possibles pouch (fire starter, water purifier tablets, trash bag, duct tape, super glue, other small miscellaneous things etc)

kill kit (game bags and knife and rope/p cord)

Camera

Spotting scope and tripod (sometimes leave scope at home.)

Headlamp with spare batteries

Jacket and extra layer of merino wool

Food

Toilet paper and wet wipes

Map and compass

23-Jul-14
Many thanks; always good to learn from Bowsiters who've been to elk country

How about this for a tshirt:

FRONT 'I <3 *heart* Bowsite gear threads... REAR '...nearly as much as I <3 *heart* bowhunting'

[If anyone wants the licence, send me a PM and we can do a deal]

23-Jul-14
Like you say, most things are obvious. My "daypack" is actually a Black's Creek Canadian that is packed to the gills with everything I need to break down an elk and get it bagged and hung, as well as the usual safety and survival items.

The only thing I can think of that might not be obvious is for those of us that aren't as young as we used to be. I carry a pair of reading glasses as well. They can be a Godsend when trying to decipher a bloodtrail.

23-Jul-14
Well, lets see:

GPS, spare batteries, camera (either digital point & shoot or Nikon DSLR), Cabelas Space Raingear (the lightest & most compact made!), headlamp, spare batteries for same, survival kit (plastic painters tarp, 2 lighters, fire starters, whistle, waterproof matches, compact space blanket), topo map, food for the day, water bottle (sometimes Katydin Hiker model filter), elk calls (diaphragms, Sceery & Hoochie cow calls), tag, pen, spare reading glasses, small roll of flagging tape, 50 ft. of parachute cord, SPOT unit (sometimes), TP, wet wipes, compact synthetic game bags, spare release, spare gloves, full face camo pullover hat.

I use a Badlands pack with lots of pockets!

Some items, not listed above, such as walkie talkie radio, handgun, rangefinder & binoculars are carried different ways; like pockets or binocular harness.

>>>>-------->

23-Jul-14
I use a Badlands fanny pack (gayer than a pack, but I'm not trying to make any fashion statements out there and it's not nearly as hot as a backpack) so I can fit everything but game bags, which my dad/partner carries, or I go back for when I'm deer hunting solo.

Water, bear spray, gps, lic/tags, headlight, Havalon, parachord, lighter, map, 2 day's food, small first aid kit, pen, extra first lite layer, plastic bag, diaphragm calls,...I'm forgetting something.

23-Jul-14
Good list going. Don't forget toilet paper.

23-Jul-14
as little as possible + one lightweight umbrella.

23-Jul-14
"Don't forget toilet paper."

Wet-wipes!

23-Jul-14
some food, steripen, water bottle, 1st aid kit, space blanket, knife, rope, game bags, GPS, flagging tape, license, lighter, headlight, TP, radio, camera,

23-Jul-14
Most of what everyone else carries. But i always have Chapstick and wind checker in my pack on hip pocket. Both are a must have for me. HUNT

23-Jul-14
I don't carry toilet paper. It's 3 river rocks followed by a clump of grass for me if there's no snow around.

I rarely have to go while hunting.

23-Jul-14
Idyl, now that's funny!

Good stuff guys, don't be afraid, this is Bowsite,!

All good info here, thx!

23-Jul-14
Idyll, you lost me at " river rocks ". LOL

23-Jul-14
I think everything listed above minus the "river rocks"...or maybe better said....Way Way too much !!

Joe

24-Jul-14
An extra pair of socks is a must. If you dont take care of your feet you won't be any good.

24-Jul-14
Don't any of you guys carry a signal mirror anymore?

24-Jul-14
Good point ... the mirror on my compass can double as a signal mirror. Also, don't river rocks add too much weight to your load (get it, load ... no pun intended. I'm serious here folks).

24-Jul-14
I'm dead serious. River rocks make great TP. Just try it once. But you need something else for the final wipe.

24-Jul-14
-Glock 27 -Flagging tape -Survival items (para cord/matches/lighter/emergency blanket) -Knife, sharpener, tag, 1 game bag for an initial load on the way to get frame pack -Water bladder -Garmin Oregon 450T -Topo map, 2 compasses -Couple energy bars -Sitka rain gear (worth while for survival situation as well) -Walkie talkie if hunting with others -Camera -Head lamp -extra lithium batteries

Josh

24-Jul-14
Skipnoid,

Mine does too. However, I see a lot of lists that don't involve a compass either.

I always carry:

Knife

Game bag(s)

Flagging tape

Tags and electrical tape

Compass (includes mirror)

Map

Lighter AND matches

Firestarter (two types)

Water

Duct Tape

Headlamp w/ extra Lithium batteries

Water purification

Whistle

Space Blanket

Plastic drop cloth (for emergency shelter)

Paracord

Food

Wet Wipes

25-Jul-14
hi guys ... and JLS.

GREAT LISTS!

The only ... and I mean the ONLY thing I take with me in addition to is an P-EPIRB. I've never had to use it, and I hope I never do. But it's in my pack, it stays there, and I hope to Christ I'll never have to use it!

25-Jul-14
Do any of you guys actually need a side arm for bears or cats?

25-Jul-14
Idyl, I tried that once and lost the rock. Probably should have used a bigger one.

25-Jul-14
Midwest,

Just curious, did you ever find the rock???

25-Jul-14
suture kit..if you know how to use it.

I don't see anything on these lists that I carry other than that.

Oh wait, I carry a 1 liter spray bottle with citric acid powder that I can fill with water if and when I get an animal down to keep the flies off.

25-Jul-14
All my load outs are mission specific. :)

25-Jul-14
That should help him a lot.

25-Jul-14
Lo,

I said it joking but actually it contains some useful information. Each hunt has specific requirements. It is not a cookie cutter formula. A couple of more points. Avoid things with strong scent or noise factors and less is better.

Over many years of taking hunters out the art of separating them from all the crap they wanted to take contributed materially to our success.

25-Jul-14
I want to say Midwest wins!!

Citric Acid Powder, I could see that being huge, suture kit, that as well.,, of you know how to use it. Really good things here, really appreciated guys.

• Sitka Gear