rtkreaper 05-Aug-14
elmer@laptop 05-Aug-14
Straight Shooter 05-Aug-14
elmer@laptop 06-Aug-14
coonazz 06-Aug-14
WoodMoose 06-Aug-14
Arrowflinger 06-Aug-14
23-Jul-14
17 days, 14 Hours, and 16 minutes until I hop on a plane here in Texas and fly up to Anchorage, then start the long drive up to near Deadhorse.

This will be my first trip up to AK. I've got a caribou tag and a wolf tag. Going with a group of 7 hunters. Some are residents of AK, but most are coming from TX.

Hope to post pics here soon.

23-Jul-14
Have fun, looking forward to your report. I'll be leaving in 29 days and have 14 to hunt. If you stop in Fairbanks, look me up!

23-Jul-14
Be heading that way in about 30 days myself. We plan to drive and the outfitter wants to fly Anna into Grizzly hunt on Aug. 30th. Probably have a few days to mess around Fairbanks until she goes back out after Moose.

23-Jul-14
Good luck !! Keep us up dated. I plan on being up there next year with a bou tag about that time of year, only I'm going to drive up with my camper and stay awhile.

23-Jul-14
Y'all will have a blast!

24-Jul-14
I wanna go !!!!!!

25-Jul-14
I am also wanting to do this trip, but I need to find some willing individuals to team with!

25-Jul-14
Hi Franzen: Have you ever done this kind of hunt before?. I went up 2years ago, but flew in to anchorage and then flew to brooks range, where we hunted in the trundra. Awsome trip, but would like to drive up the hull road, and give that a try. let me know what you are thinking. jerbear

27-Jul-14
Good luck to you & let us know how things go!

27-Jul-14
Good luck!

05-Aug-14
4 more days!

05-Aug-14
Good luck on your Alaska caribou hunt. Hope you have as much fun as I do hunting caribou in Quebec. See you on the tundra. Rory

05-Aug-14
Good luck. Post some pictures when u can!

05-Aug-14
Good luck.

DJ

06-Aug-14
also....remember your thermacells! skeeters can be bad on the days it warms up towards the 70's. Also, DO NOT hunt near the road. hike off 1/2 mile or more. if your friends have a canoe or raft, take it so you can get across the sag river.

the further you can get off the road the better your chances are for the bou. many times you will see animals coming, then they hear truck's air brakes and take a left turn at a full run. if you are further from the road, you won't have that problem.

also, get on a high spot and glass so you can see em coming and set up an ambush spot on em far ahead of when they get there.

And carry bear spray. there are enough brown bears that zero in on gut piles that you just might surprise one that is on a gut pile down in a dip.

muck/lacrosse or other similar boots work well up there. be prepared for close to 70 degrees some days, and some nights it will be below freezing and snowing.

also, take a wrist rocket, or a bunch of flu flu arrows for ptarmigan, and take some judo points for arctic hares. my trip up there was on a high population cycle for the hares, and at times it was like a scene from Hitchcock's "The Birds" except with bunnies. there were so many of them that I couldn't stop laughing and couldn't get a shot off at the hundred or so at a time that my buddy pushed towards me.

If you are looking for wolves, watch gut piles, and also dry river bottoms. the wolves like to follow the dry river bottoms searching for Hares.

Have fun!

06-Aug-14
Thanks Elmer! Lots of good info there.

Muck boots - Check flu flu and judo - Check Wolf tag - Check

06-Aug-14
got a buddy down TX way who was stationed in AK with the air force,,,,told me about hunting the haul road,,,,,have fun,,,,

06-Aug-14
Good luck and have fun! I plan to hunt the haul road in 2016. Let us know how your hunt turns out.

• Sitka Gear