LINK 25-Jul-14
Rob Nye 25-Jul-14
longbeard 25-Jul-14
LINK 25-Jul-14
One Who Knows 25-Jul-14
shortstop 25-Jul-14
shotgunslugger 26-Jul-14
23-Jul-14
Hey guys. Never hunted over bait before as ive always hunted public land. Whats better corn on the cob or a timed feeder? Also i plan to put salt licks out. Any tips would be awesome.

23-Jul-14
Guy on the site Kyle Adams goes by Sito, that can get you squared away. :)

23-Jul-14
Sure you are not baiting Bowsiters?

23-Jul-14
Baiting is legal where im at by the way.

23-Jul-14
In my opinion it takes much longer for deer to get used to timed feeders than it does to piles on the ground. Corn on the cob lasts longer than kernel corn but is harder to get and harder to handle. Salt licks are great places to put game cameras but not of much use to hunt over. Most of the use is outside of deer season

23-Jul-14
LOL at R.Hale :-)

23-Jul-14
Kyle....What is your favorite feeder(s) and when do you set the timers? Do you like the 'apple' flavored corn?

23-Jul-14
Shelled corn. Dump, Sit, Shoot.

23-Jul-14
I don't think deer have top front teeth....it would be difficult for them to eat corn on the cob.

23-Jul-14
Kyle must be in line at the Co-op....

23-Jul-14
I have many cam pictures of deer with a cob in their mouth like a pipe. It faces forward and they apparently chew it with the back teeth. Looks funny.

23-Jul-14
Cover the ground with corn and popped pop corn so you can see to shoot them at nite.

23-Jul-14
Very good TBM...You are really coming around!

By the way, what did you say?

23-Jul-14
I think TBM said he only eats turkeys that are hand fed bugs.

23-Jul-14
Tbm take your negativity elsewhere. I also hunt for food. But if i can increase my chances i will. Im not interested in debating ethics. Its legal so ill give it a try.

23-Jul-14
1. Drive ATV through the woods off trail and dump several hundred pounds of shelled corn. Return to restock on a regular basis to make sure every deer in the woods knows you are there.

2. Claim the public land and the deer as your own. Harass anybody who comes within 1/2 mile and threaten violence and a "war". Leave nasty threatening notes on other hunter's windshields.

3. Place trail cameras around your bait to capture photos of the the large nocturnal bucks.

4. Hunt well after hours for the best chance of seeing the large nocturnal bucks.

5. Shotgunslug them to death with the aid of artificial light.

6. Post hero photos on the internet and social media to show your accomplishment.

There might be more good tips that others can share, but off the top of my head that's kind of how they do it in northern Wisconsin... or they did before the wolves and winters killed them all...

23-Jul-14
Good luck Shotgunslugger. I assume that you now see why I originally asked if you were baiting Bowsiters. Bait topics will bring them out every time.

23-Jul-14
all good tips Cheesehead :-)

23-Jul-14
www.sitobrand.com Largest distributor in Kansas!

23-Jul-14
I rarely have baited but here is what has work. Place 25-50#s of corn on the ground in a difficult place to get to or at least in an area that does not see a lot of people traffic and set a stand. Come back a week later with ~20#s of corn mid day. If the corn has been found and is being hit or is gone put down the corn. Either hunt right away or come back 3 hours before dark and hunt to dark. During the same day start a second location and hunt that location a week later. If you do not get a deer the first time that you sit an area your odds go way down. For the best results set the stand when you start the bait site. Hopefully it will be a few days before the deer find it and your scent will be gone. When they come in a week later be prepared to take the first good shot because your scent will be there. Repeated visits to bait in a hard hunted area may turn the deer nocturnal. It is a lot of work for one 3-4 hours sit but no one said that it was easy.

23-Jul-14
haha nice Cheesehead, I hunt public land in NJ and thought you might be referring to NJ. I evidently hunted near a bait sight once without knowing it I guess, came out of the woods and had a note on my truck windshield saying a few guys were watching me as I sat in my stand and know where and when I hunt so I should leave their bait spot alone. Nothing ever came of it though, and I continued to hunt the spot and take a few deer. To answer the OP, shelled corn is whats used most in NJ but from what I understand mature deer and pretty wary of it.

23-Jul-14

sitO's Link
There are always two paths...a choice to make...one is easy, and the only reward is that it's easy.

Love you guys!

Please visit WWW.sitObrand.corn for our Fall specials(see link).

23-Jul-14
The only thing the OP missed was asking if fixed or mechanical broadheads are better in the Crossbow he just got at WalMart! However, assuming the question was not merely "baiting" the forum, I have anecdotal evidence that has convinced me that mature deer (in general) avoid mechanical feeders. In my experience, they will readily come to and eat corn on the ground and, in time, will use gravity feeders as well.

24-Jul-14

Keadog's embedded Photo
Keadog's embedded Photo
Like this. That's a home modified, now gravity feeder almost in the middle of an acre of Eagle Forage Soybeans. This from a series of pics where the smaller buck was at the feeder and the larger deer pushed him out, staying at the feeder for 7 minutes. I'm no expert on aging deer, but I would consider the larger deer to be mature (but not quite a shooter).

24-Jul-14
Use the salt with trace minerals in the spring and summer, then switch to corn prior to the season starting in the fall. There are many factors at stake that will affect the frequency and time of day/night the deer will visit. A man made water source where water isn't nearby and place in wooded areas can be just as good of an attractant and you don't have mess it up with repeated trips to replenish it.

24-Jul-14
I should add hunting over the bait is tough. You are better off hunting some distance away where you can enter and exit your stand with minimal disturbance.

25-Jul-14
SitObrand products are over rated. His price is too high and his apple butter corn blend is only good for varmints.

I prefer straight bulk corn to flavored stuff and dump it straight on the ground. Like some have said you might place it and hunt 100-150 yards away on a travel route. It basically serves as a food plot but is more affective. Works best when used in conjunction with a foodplot. Don't waste your money on magic powder or miracle blocks. Where I hunt nothing works better than corn.

25-Jul-14
Knife2Sharp X2. Especially the tough part. It ain't the slam-dunk kill a giant guarantee some folks think it is. I really enjoy all the interesting deer behavior you see around a food or water source bait that you seldom witness waiting for one to walk by. They have distinct personalities and are lots of fun to watch up close and personal for extended periods. The food is usually eaten by plenty of birds and other critters that are also entertaining.

25-Jul-14
Shotgun its funny how you belittle TBM for his "negativity" but you let the rest of these knuckleheads slide without a word!!

25-Jul-14
He's an easy target. Kinda like a hanging curveball, its to easy not to hammer it out.

25-Jul-14
The same haters here will be glued to their seats waiting for updates on Pat's live hunt in Kansas.. And most kept up with each and every one of the bear hunts that were put on here..

25-Jul-14
TBM,

I, for one, enjoy the humor! Keep it up!

26-Jul-14
I just couldnt care less. I got some good answers. Those i appreciate. The rest were just a waste of reading.

• Sitka Gear