Charlie Rehor 24-Jul-14
Esch 25-Jul-14
Tilzbow 25-Jul-14
Esch 25-Jul-14
TEmbry 26-Jul-14
Triple 3 27-Jul-14
bronco 28-Jul-14
24-Jul-14
I'm planning an archery moose hunt with a buddy and we are trying to decide between going to Alaska or the Yukon. Any thoughts on short opportunity and pros / cons on either location would be greatly appreciate... any specific outfitters you love in either location are welcome to. Thanks!!!

24-Jul-14
Getting large amount of meat home from Alaska is much, much cheaper than the Yukon.

24-Jul-14
Yukon seemed to be more $ when I was looking, but overall seemed to have "bigger" bulls. I always wanted to hunt Alaska for moose so that was the direction I leaned, but I would call Mark at BSC and he can truly get you some solid and important differences for 2015 etc IMO.

24-Jul-14
Alaska DIY would be awesome.. Just gotta get some good info on where to be flown in.

24-Jul-14
Been to both. I prefer the Yukon primarily because of the huge, exclusive concessions the outfitters have there.

Feel free to PM me for additional info.

Steve

24-Jul-14
Steve is right, plus much of the Yukon is so remote that few hunters will go that far in. If top end size is priority 1, the Yukon wins in most cases...just more chance you'll see the monster there. Money?...well, that's a different story. You can diy in Alaska for $5K round-trip while the Yukon will nick you for $15-20K for a 10 day 1:1 guided hunt with bush flight. In fairness, AK guided hunts aren't really much cheaper than a Yukon hunt.

Traveling to and from Canada with the customs stuff and other issues is less fun. I've wandered a lot of miles in BC, SK and YK...and I think I'll be mainly hunting Alaska now. The logistics are easier, and I'm no longer interested in any guided hunts if I can do them myself.

24-Jul-14
Yukon hunts catch more prime rut time.

24-Jul-14
Kevin and Eyad have it. If you always wanted to go to Ak. do it. If you are going guided and want the best chance at a huge bull go to the Yukon.

If you want a real challenge research a transporter in Ak. and go DIY. lots of options.

24-Jul-14
Also check out the Northwest Territories. When I did my Dall hunt with The Lancasters at Nahanni Butte they were killing some absolute giants! Good luck! C

25-Jul-14
Thanks to all for the info. We will use a guide this time. Neither of us has harvested a moose, and don't plan to do this very often so would like to have a shot at a good one, but doesn't need to be 70" ... I think anything 50" plus will get an arrow let loose at it.. We like the idea of hunting in AK... as long as the shot opportunity is similar to Yukon. I guess my one fear is I have had a couple people tell me that the Yukon has a much higher shot opportunity.. but I don't know if that is true if you are in a good AK area? shot opportunity will be the biggest factor in the decision.. Thanks again!

25-Jul-14
Another much less expensive option is far north in British Columbia, nearly to the Yukon border. They're not officially Yukon/Alaska moose but if that's okay with you it might be worth looking. I'm personally looking at this option since the cost can be half of the Yukon, yet a 50" bull is a real possibility.

25-Jul-14
Thanks to all for the info. We will use a guide this time. Neither of us has harvested a moose, and don't plan to do this very often so would like to have a shot at a good one, but doesn't need to be 70" ... I think anything 50" plus will get an arrow let loose at it.. We like the idea of hunting in AK... as long as the shot opportunity is similar to Yukon. I guess my one fear is I have had a couple people tell me that the Yukon has a much higher shot opportunity.. but I don't know if that is true if you are in a good AK area? shot opportunity will be the biggest factor in the decision.. Thanks again!

26-Jul-14
I chose Alaska for this fall... but mainly because I like DIY hunts and couldn't afford a Yukon hunt even if I wanted one.

27-Jul-14
Yukon if you want horseback and huge areas with only one outfitter operating in the area. I hunted with Chris Widrig twice out of Bonnet Plume Lake. Good guy and very remote area with huge Moose. Might have to sell a kidney or two to pay for it. I plan on going back before I get to damn old. Moose can be really tough to find at times. Other times they get in the way. After you kill one you will have them in camp chasing your horses around and causing trouble. Make sure you have a tree nearby before you piss one off! I would rather have a Griz in camp than a rutting Moose!

Craig

28-Jul-14
Joe Schuster top notch

• Sitka Gear