Bowsage 27-Jul-14
moosenelson 27-Jul-14
TurkeyBowMaster 27-Jul-14
drycreek 27-Jul-14
Bowsage 27-Jul-14
TEmbry 27-Jul-14
RK 27-Jul-14
25-Jul-14
There is little argument that some states are better suited for established bowhunters and offer a clear advantage to those with lofty goals...but other states are better "starter" or training states where a beginning bowhunter can get the quickest and best training possible. Alabama is one of those starter states. The liberal limits of deer and turkey plus an abundance of hogs allows someone eager to learn an abundance of opportunities. Our deer and turkey are challenging and in order to consistently kill a bowhunter has to do so much the right way that taking game elsewhere seems easy. I know we don't get much love in the spotlight, but those who master the game here can have success anywhere and it doesn't take years of hunting to gain a lot of knowledge when you are killing 25 animals a year. I know there are other good starter states...great places to grow up as a bowhunter.

25-Jul-14
I agree Alabama is a training state. Time to take off the training wheels, remove your floaties and see if you can stay afloat in the RoCkY MoUnTaInS.

25-Jul-14
How does a person properly spell and use the word lofty and then fal to spl at oter tims su pulry theet we canknot fugger us whatis ben kommunikatedd?

25-Jul-14
Example: our deer will look up and see you almose every time if you are 20' or less up a tree. Successful hunters here get 25+ feet up. When you developed as system that allows you to get that high and shoot and hit our little deer at that height, 250 pound bucks shot from 12 feet high are easy. The training we get here is like navy seal training for bowhunters...everything else everywhere else is easy in comparison.

25-Jul-14
WTF! Is this guy serious!? :-)

25-Jul-14
Thanks the way my morning has gone I needed a good effen laugh!!!!!

25-Jul-14
One of the nation's biggest name bowhunters for whitetail spent several days here and left asking how we ever kill even a doe. He was in a Midwest groove and that didn't work here so it was basically impossible for him to have success here. When you flip it and we go other places it seems easy. I think south Carolina is another good training state. These are more treestand training states fir backyard deer...stalking not so much. Turkey hunting is off the charts difficult...even Missouri easterns seem really easy compared to our birds. I particularly enjoy turning sub 1% success into 500%.

25-Jul-14
TBM,

Need to do a closer count prior to taking your meds. Think you ingested a two day dose today.

25-Jul-14
You cannot convince me that TBM's posts aren't started just solely for the sake of TBM sitting back and giggling at the responses.

I needed a laugh too. Thanks R.Hale !!

Bake

25-Jul-14
I had 20 years of training in Georgia in the minor leagues. Then moved up to the Majors fast after moving to Montana:)

Next level thinking at its finest. Thanks Steve. HUNT

25-Jul-14
TBM...You been in the bag or bottle again?...or both??

Training state?....who cares!....ya gotta do better than that!

25-Jul-14
I thought this thread would be about physical training and being in shape. With the size of the women we grow here in WI, I was going to rule us out right away. Beer, brats and cheese trump Planet Fitness here.

25-Jul-14
Take Me West, Country Roads (apologies to John Denver)

It's Kudzu Heaven, Alabamy

Whitetail hunting, just hot and clammy

Our Whitetail's vision is by far the best

Thus stands are higher than an Eagle's nest

Most trees are too short for the proper height

So hunters sit in a bird camoed kite

Whitetails are wary, all looking skyward

Except all they see is a soaring bird

Our limit is twenty-five deer a year

But from that height, quarry has little fear

So I'm going west where the hunt is easy

and stands will be just a little less breezy

25-Jul-14

crestedbutte's embedded Photo
"those who master the game here can have success anywhere" TBM, Bob Stoops and OU are on line #1.

25-Jul-14

Line #2 also.

25-Jul-14

Line #3 also. The only school with a "complete set" of BCS Trophies... thanks BAMA!

25-Jul-14

crestedbutte's Link
TBM is Nugene Ledbetter per link attached..take a listen!

25-Jul-14
TBM...do u ever shut up?

25-Jul-14
TBM...do u ever shut up?

26-Jul-14
TBM sounds like a disaster in the works,I can think of many places he,d be far from a pro on local wildlife.Ive seen dozens of guys that thought they were great only to be humbled pretty quick.Regardless of how good a hunter is,blowing smoke only and always offends others!

26-Jul-14
TBM purposely gets these threads sturred up for personal entertainment nothing else.

26-Jul-14
Yep.....I think its funny that some take him so seriously. For good entertainment you northerners and westerners listen to the jerry clower link above and google the name for more. Good, clean fun!!

26-Jul-14
You can say best state for bug whitetails, best state for a variety of animals, but best state for learning how to Bowhunt at a rapid pace is taboo. I use to get embarrassed for writers like Patric Menton when he did how too articals on Turkey when he had only killed 27..and one guy did a book with about the same amount. I had almost twice as many as both of them put together. You just learn quicker where you can kill alot. Plus the fact that I didn't have to travel to hunt I could just walk out the back door. We hunt every day here. You van try a lot of different things here. The learning curve flattens quicker.

26-Jul-14
I know guys that shoot lots too.Also a guy that has only ever shot 18 deer in his life,All 18 make book!Killing lots of animals doesnt make you a great hunter,killing less despite being able to kill more in my book make you a superior hunter.Great day in the woods doesnt end with something dieing it ends at dusk,but starts again at dawn.Too much weight on kills rather than passes.TBM your not hunting your killing!Hunting ends more often without a shot,killing well it is what it is.Merit to both but dont confuse them.

26-Jul-14
TBM...do u ever shut up?

26-Jul-14
TBM,

Why do you think that Alabama is so special, unique, difficult, etc. compared to other states?

It is just a state in the Southeastern U.S. It is not greatly different than any other state in the South. It is simply hills, swamps, pine forests,hardwood stands, sand beaches, etc. The weather is the same as other southern states and the animals are the same and react the same as other states.

I have lived with 90 miles of Alabama all my life (60+ yrs). I have traveled Alabama from border to border. What am I missing?

26-Jul-14
Buffalo you are not looking at this the right way you are looking you are not seeing. None are so blind as those who will not see. You need to look at Alabama through eyes focused on next level thinking. Look for the possibilities that the normal man will never discern. It is obvious and clear for those who can apply the concept of next level thinking to the analysis of the great state of Alabama.

26-Jul-14
If you think about it we get more pitches to hit from major league pitchers. It's a tough league down here...most don't make it..they take the easy minor gun league route...especially during spring season's.

26-Jul-14
The gem of a point that tbm is making is: Good states to learn to hunt offer many tags and generous seasons. Some states are 1deer/day. As a beginner, getting out and getting multiple kills is important in figuring out so many things that are necessary for success.

The point he is missing is density. I could heaps of deer in an area with 45 deer per mile. You wanna learn how to hunt and just how costly any mistakes are try someplace with 1 or 2 deer per mile. Maybe moose moose hunting with 2miles per moose. You may only get one chance up here.

In alabamageorgiakentucky you can just set up any place and a deer is bound to come by! You dont have to hunt the wind when deer come from every direction!

26-Jul-14
TBM- your right on track. I think if a guy trained in alabama he would have no problem hunting at 12,000 ft here in Colorado. I bet he would kick my butt if we raced up a hill. Considering I live at 9,000 ft in the mtns of the rugged Rockies. Alambama rocks for training!!

Ha

26-Jul-14

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
TBM- your right on track. I think if a guy trained in alabama he would have no problem hunting at 13,000 ft here in Colorado. I bet he would kick my butt if we raced up a hill. Considering I live at 9,000 ft in the mtns of the rugged Rockies. Alambama rocks for training!!

Ha

26-Jul-14
TBM,

What in the hell does baseball players going to the majors have to do with deer hunting?

Guess it is all relevant to the cost of tea in China !!

26-Jul-14
TBM...the stork still remembers you..it never forgets the ones it dropped!

26-Jul-14
KS. That is priceless.

27-Jul-14
There is quiet a bit of misconception when it comes to hunting Alabama. There is not a deer behind every tree...in fact, I see more deer in northern and Midwest states, plus there are a lot more patterrnable situations in states with farms. Here , it is like unpicked corn year round. Deer look up at every squirrel and bird and will pick you out if you are not really high or hid. It's thick...bedding area almost everywhere, and shot opportunities are few and brief...painfully brief. Take the 8 deer I killed this past season. There was probably only 15 to 30 seconds of opportunity for all 8 combined and when you consider opportunity for me means almost any angle is a good angle then most everyone else would have even less chances. The shooting window for all combined was less than 10 feet. The combination of getting a deer in range, in an opening, getting drawn without being seen and making the shot through a tight opening doesn't happen often. That's why the Midwest expert couldn't get it done here...not even on a doe. Everywhere is different. Some places are harder. I expect mountain whitetails are tough, but opportunities few so not the best training states. I would say the best states are the ones where hunters are so well trained that when they travel elsewhere the hunting seems easier than where they are accustomed to. I know for a fact that many successful bowhunters that come to Alabama go home empty handed. Even shotgunners for turkey get skunked consistently here. It's easier other places...it really is. But that ok. I love the big fat dumb Missouri toms...where there is 4 gobbling in every direction. I like the river bottom funnels and deer that don't look up. It is a very refreshing change from the grind of hunting Alabama. I dont know how well trained I will be to hunt on the ground...to stalk and sneak in the mountains. I did kill a bedded Alabama doe once. Come to think of it, I have never heard of anyone who has snuck up on a bedded Alabama deer and arrow it. Mine was close range with a recurve. I think I will be ok.

27-Jul-14
Do us all a favor and don't lower your standards...just stay within the confines of BAMA the rest of your life. If BAMA is the ultimate challenge then why would anyone want an easier experience? Doesn't sound too tough to me if you can kill 8 deer a year?

I will give the Missouri folks the floor since you just body slammed them, their state and their turkeys.

Q: Did you hear about the $4,000,000 Alabama State Lottery?

A: The winner gets $4 a year for a million years.

27-Jul-14
I hunt Alabama annually. I find it no harder than KY or any other state when it comes to deer hunting.

Off topic, but crestedbutte are you really claiming OU superiority to Alabama in the BCS era? lol Nice win in a consolation bowl this year but 3 championships in 4 years speaks for itself really.... and this is not even coming from a Bama fan.

27-Jul-14
" hunt Alabama annually. I find it no harder than KY or any other state when it comes to deer hunting."

Yep, and I see you got 200% more Kentucky kill photos than Alabama. Anybody else want to try?

It is smart tovhuny here.. to take a southern rut trip or early spring Turkey hunt...when there is snow on the ground everywhere but here. It's a good place to test your skills as a bowhunter.

27-Jul-14

TEmbry, "Off topic, but crestedbutte are you really claiming OU superiority to Alabama in the BCS era?" Well since you brought it up...the answer is YES. OU and BAMA have played 3 times during the BCS era and OU is 3-0. BCS era hasn't just been around since BAMA's recent resurgence (last 5 yrs. maybe?) or OU's dismantling of them.

See the links below of all the "different" articles by all the "different" sports writers who have all these "different" ways of calculating the BEST. Funny thing is they have a consistent result...OU #1...and in most era's too. Not just my opinion but seems to be the opinion of most sports columns these days as they continually keep trying to update their "Best of All-Time" or "Best of BCS Era" results....but interestingly get the same results...OU #1 Best of the Best!

Oklahoma #1 in the Modern Era & Greatest Program of All-Time (2013 article) BAMA #4 http://cfn.scout.com/2/1097657.html

Oklahoma #1 in the BCS era (2014 article). BAMA #8 http://collegespun.com/features/the-25-most-successful-college-football-programs-of-the-bcs-era#

Oklahoma #1 & #6 Top 10 Dynasties of All-Time (2011 article). http://voices.yahoo.com/the-ten-greatest-college-football-dynasties-all-8787905.html?cat=14

Oklahoma #1 ESPN Best FBS College Football Programs of Modern Era (since 1936) (2009 article) http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Oklahoma #1 Top 50 Programs of All-Time (2011 article) http://bleacherreport.com/articles/805789-college-football-power-ranking-the-top-50-programs-of-all-time/page/51

TEmbry, another graphic for you attached (even though BCS era started 2 yrs. earlier in 1998...you get the picture!) It's OK if you disagree with me...I can't force you to be right!

27-Jul-14
I believe TBM is confusing hunting experience with target practice. Yes, it's good practice to shoot little deer from awkward positions that just stand there and if you miss, move on to the next target. But most of us have 3D shoots for that.

Come on up to BC and try your luck. Moose should be a cake walk, goats not tough at all and sheep a slam dunk. And yes we even have turkeys in case you get bored with the easy stuff.

27-Jul-14
TBM I think you hit a nerve, a lot of these guys ware their feelings on there sleeve. Some of you guys take this stuff way to serious.

27-Jul-14
There might not be a deer behind every tree but South central Alabama has about 45 deer per squre mile.

27-Jul-14
Tbm: You need to get out more. Alabama is special, just not in the way you figure. Its special in more of a better parking space way.

27-Jul-14
"Alabama has about 45 deer per squre mile.".

Closer to 4 or 5 per square mile. I've seen the day there were 45 insome areas. Now I would guess there are around 15 to 25...very few areas where you can see over 100 yards so seeing one a day is about average now. It's really got bad after ehd knocked em down so low and coyotes and hunters have knocked em down even further.

27-Jul-14
I been in a state of training all of my life. I still ain't knowed up too good !

27-Jul-14
South Central, about 45 DPSM, you misquoted me!

27-Jul-14
This thread is straight comedy... for both football and deer hunting opinions.

27-Jul-14
Yep. Football stuff is so not right. Got to love TBM or whomever that really is. Pure ass comedy and really good stuff. Worth waking up to everyday And laughing over breakfast. So much better than the serious stuff posted here.

TBM. You need a blue collar moment on national tv

• Sitka Gear