txhunter58 26-Jul-14
razorsharp 27-Jul-14
TurkeyBowMaster 27-Jul-14
'Ike' (Phone) 27-Jul-14
Cornpone 28-Jul-14
longbeard 28-Jul-14
GRoe 28-Jul-14
25-Jul-14
If I put a turkey or elk call in my mouth I look like a cat coughing up hair balls. Is there one that is easier to tolerate? I looked at Bass pro today but the selection is ridiculously limited.

25-Jul-14
I think we need video of you trying one to properly help you!

25-Jul-14
Hahaha! I second that video! You can always trim them to fit your mouth better. When I first started using them it brought back memories of being a child at the doctors office getting that stick shoved down your throat. The more you use them the more you get used to them.

25-Jul-14
try cutting the tape down to a smaller size

25-Jul-14
I use a lot of different ones but have a buddy that had the same choking/gagging problem and could not get it at all. I picked up a Primos one with the "dome" or something like that, and he was able to use it fairly effectively after some practice. It is kind of a plastic rounded upper part that seats up against the roof of your mouth. helped him a bunch. just a thought

25-Jul-14
I like the Point Blank Hunting calls. If the call is making you gag, try cutting the rounded part of the call off. Straight across the back. You still get a good seal with the tape on the sides and it does not effect the sound you get out of the call. Often the back of the call is what is causing the gag reflex. Good luck!

26-Jul-14

Wapiti's embedded Photo
Wapiti's embedded Photo
Try wapiti River Outdoors reeds they have cuts in the tape. Reduces the gag tendencies you speak of. Try the Black Widow reed it won the Canadian elk calling championships this year.

26-Jul-14
All of it will depend on the size of the palate in your mouth! Not just the size of the whole call. I have tried a bunch and the only one that fits my palate is the one that Primos makes. I believe it is the mini sonic dome..but I might have it wrong. I will have to find the packaging and see if what I told you is right. I found one that fit my palate and that was it! I can use it pretty well. You will have to find the one that actually fits you. I tried cutting them down and that does not work for me. Each of us are different. Get one that without cutting it down fits inside the Palate and does not move around or give you the gagg reflex. I have wondered about playing around with some other brands but found the one that works for me. Bob.

26-Jul-14
If you're talking about diaphragm calls where the entire thing goes inside your mouth, I can't imagine that one would be easier to use than another - you have to practice and you have to bend them to the shape of your mouth.

The bugle that Bigdan recommends (Berry) is very easy to use if you want a bugle as the diaphragm part doesn't go in your mouth. If you want a cow call that sounds good and is easy to use, check out the Temptress (not a diaphragm).

26-Jul-14
IdyllwildArcher,

Based on your comment that it is not a diaphragm call, I was just wondering if the Temptress can be used as a "hands free" kind of call? If so, who makes it?

26-Jul-14
The temptress is an open reed call.

Primos has a small version of their dome calls. If you're gagging, don't stick it so far back. As an exercise, flatten out your tongue then bite down on the sides of it with your molars, leaving the tip of your tongue free. As you blow air out your mouth, raise the tip of your tongue to the roof of your mouth stopping the air flow. This is pretty much how I use a diaphram call without actually biting on my tongue. My tongue is wide enough to block the air back at my molars.

26-Jul-14
I've always found the Palate Plate diaphragms most comfortable, specifically Bugling Bull diaphragms. The easiest to use, by far, are the single reeds. Mellow Yellow Mama happens to be my favorite. Despite the name, you can also make great young bull bugles/grunts with it, as well as all cow/calf sounds.

At least for me, the palate plate style sits closer to my teeth, compared to a flat diaphragm, so that helps alleviate the gag reflex.

As WapitiBob points out, I mainly use the tip of my tongue to control reed pressure. I've found the flatter my tongue is, the less comfortable it feels.

One other thing that may or may not help the comfort factor, but a mistake most of those trying to learn how to use a diaphragm make, is blowing too hard. You have much more control, and it's much easier to make quality sounds, if you start out with low air pressure. Add more air and tongue pressure as the call progresses, but start the call with less pressure.

26-Jul-14
I too use the primos palate plate. The plate sits against the roof of your mouth and for me that makes all the difference.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Primos174-Palate-Plate-Elk-Diaphragm-Calls/740005.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dpalate%2Bplate%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=palate+plate&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

27-Jul-14
Thanks guys!

27-Jul-14
If ur gagging cut the tape shorter. My dad cuts all the tape and still gets a seal. All he has is a frame. I cut about half the tape on the rear but leave most of the sides.

27-Jul-14
The Mellow Mama from Buglin Bull is a good and easy one...

28-Jul-14
I turkey hunt a lot and way back when I started had trouble using a diaphragm call, but probably no more so than the average guy. Anyhow, trim the tape a bit and what I always suggest to a new user is to just put it in your mouth and get used to it being there. Don't even try to call with it...your spouse won't like the racket anyhow! After awhile, you won't have the gag reflex, will quit salivating a lot and it will feel comfortable.

28-Jul-14
Each mouth is different as well as each call...try a bunch until you find the one that fits your mouth...cutting the tape down and putting in your mouth when not calling are both good suggestions...if your gagging I would say you have placed the call too far back in your mouth or at least it is ending up too far back, which is very typical of someone trying to learn to use this type of call. Thats why trying a bunch of different brands is the best bet, because each manufacturer varies in call size, thickness and even type of tape they use...I can't use some calls because the tape used is to slippery...once you get past this stage the next hurdle will be to be able to make the correct noise consistently...Practice, practice and practice some more!

28-Jul-14
Mello Yellow

• Sitka Gear