LINK 28-Jul-14
BuckSlayer 28-Jul-14
bass2xs 28-Jul-14
LINK 28-Jul-14
TD 28-Jul-14
Owl 28-Jul-14
LckyTylr 29-Jul-14
25-Jul-14
Guys, I'm writing a piece on hunter ethics a well as some legal does and don'ts that I was hoping you all could help me with. I know we all live by slightly different sets of rules. But if you could just give me one of the rules you live by as bowhunters, I'd love to hear all your thoughts on this topic as around here they seem to be largely lacking and I'm hoping a little refresher could help the audience. I really love how one guy put it, sadly I don't remember who, but it went something like "As a bowhunter, what we do in the woods when no one is watching is a reflection of who we really are." Forgive me if I've butchered that, but I've always loved that quote and it's kept me from crossing into those grey ethics areas knowing it's only me that is watching but not willing to compromise my integrity over an animal. Anyway, you get the point. Thanks a lot in advance!

25-Jul-14
"Slightly"?? Ha, good one...

25-Jul-14
As a former park ranger, I tend to believe that people's behavior when hunting tends to follow the bell-curve of societal behavior. That is, there is a variance in what each hunter defines as proper "ethics".

For example, on one end of the curve are those who, if they wound an animal, will search for days or even weeks, then punch their tag and end the season if the animal isn't recovered.

On the other side are those who shoot an animal, it doesn't fall in sight, they make a cursory search, and if they don't find the animal quickly just shrug and go on to the next one.

My good friend, a retired professor, has a theory that I believe is somewhat true. He theorizes that people's propensity to obey rules and laws decreases the higher in altitude they are. Now that I live at 8,400', I see more and more evidence of that.

Point being, ethics are relative, and for many, it's a sliding scale depending upon who is around and their chances of being caught doing something questionable, or outright illegal.

25-Jul-14
I try and conduct myself like my mother is over my shoulder watching me. It has served me pretty well.

Many years ago I heard a quote that has always stuck with me: "If you have to hide it, it ain't right". You can apply it to just about any situation.

25-Jul-14
Potter Stewart said it well. “Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do.” As for bowhunting, I personally believe that it begins with respecting your quarry and knowing your limits.

25-Jul-14
Just because you have the right to do something doesn't make that something the right thing to do

25-Jul-14
“Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”

25-Jul-14
There is also things that are ethical that are not legal. You find an injured deer that won't recover in the woods and you have to decide whether or not to end its suffering. Legally you can't without contacting authorities. Ethically?

Also, on occasion, I might have broken the letter of the law, but never the spirit/ethics. For example: legally the first thing you do when you kill an animal is tag it. On my private ranch, behind a locked gate, has that always been done? Probably not, but we have NEVER taken an animal and not tagged it.

25-Jul-14
Heres one for ya;

I don't shoot unless I know positively without question I can make the shot.

Sounds obvious doesn't it?

While working in my office this last week with the Outdoor channel on I've seen 1)a PSE guy Juan something take a questionable shot...2)another bow guy on a different show fling a prayer shot on a bull staring him down at long range because "he was a great bull"....3)and a rifle guy shooting "beyond my comfortable range"

Its hard to stick to your limits when those animals are in front of you.....

Edit; A bit of context after rereading my comment; it wasn't intended as it sounded, a "Holier than thou" commentary. Its worth mentioning that I wasn't always so definitive on when to shoot and when not to. As a young man I stretched it many times and after self reflection I have come to realize my personal limit. I did not have a father that taught me to hunt instead learning by trial and error with a group of young friends, so to say some mistakes were made would be an understatement.

25-Jul-14
One rule i've always lived by.

I never take a 60 yd shot when I've said countless times i will only take shots out to 40. It's temping because you try to talk yourself into it. Nobody is watching, he's big. I know I can do it. He's right there.

Anybody else ever had that conversation in their head??

25-Jul-14
ya do what ya gotta do, but you can't make the animal hold still at any range.

25-Jul-14
I HATE ever loosing an animal I've shot. I have fortunately not had that happen big game hunting. I've had four shots that hit just muscle from being too low a shot. When I was twelve the first duck I shot fell into tall grass. It was freezing cold so it would spoil. I searched for it for 5 days every day after school till I finally found it.

25-Jul-14
Quite simply, I work to live up to who I'd like to be. When I look at my reflection in a mirror or some slack water of a stream, I want to be looking at someone my kids are proud of, someone that I'm not ashamed of.

The "right" thing may seem harder at the time and it may seem easier to take some shortcut or another, but I would counter that I'd imagine the personal disappointment to be harder. Like Poe's Telltale Heart under the floorboards, I'd imagine the unethically obtained trophy would call to you and mock you. The meat would not be as sweet.

25-Jul-14
People inherently want to do good...some people just aren't good.

25-Jul-14
Good thing I live near sea level..... heheheh....

A fine line between "I can make this shot" and "I think I can slip it in there..." and the decisions have to made in split seconds. I'd be the first to admit mine haven't always been 100% the right ones over the years. Made some mistakes I like to call "experience". Hopefully learned and moved on. The mistakes theoretically come fewer and fewer.

My efforts however, in my view, are unquestionable.

Oh.... you mean hunting.... yeah, that too....

25-Jul-14
I'm a good person but it ain't easy. I have this guy on my shoulder constantly talking to me trying to steer me in the wrong direction. I have to work hard to be good. Comes easy for my wife.

25-Jul-14
This is great stuff guys! I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who holds themself to a higher standard than what I see so often in the hunting community. I'm hoping I can pass on some of the wisdom and insight you guys are sharing here with other hunters. I've been given a unique opportunity to write for a new magazine that started in my home province that's geared toward the younger hunter. I hope we can challenge the young hunters to learn a higher level of ethics than what is being taught here. We have very little representation by our Department of Conservation in this area so it can be the Wild West out there sometimes and I really feel there is a need for some new learn'n! Thanks again everyone and keep this stuff coming!

26-Jul-14
"Notice that "I" is at the center of the word "ethical." There is no "they." Achieving the ethics of excellence is our individual assignment"

I live by the Bowsite rules when here and by the hunting regs when hunting and by the laws when in society.

"Ethics is not definable, is not implementable, because it is not conscious; it involves not only our thinking, but also our feeling"

I only take unforced shots though it is difficult at times to talk yourself out of a bad shot on a monster animal when it is the only shot there.

"Even the most rational approach to ethics is defenseless if there isn't the will to do what is right"

26-Jul-14
Ethics, for the most part, is a personal choice and definition. There are societal definitions that are predicated on what basic rights you have as a person. When your personal decision begins to take away the natural well being of someone (life, liberty, private property, personal choice, etc.) then those decisions are not ethical anymore.

26-Jul-14

orionsbrother's Link
"My good friend, a retired professor, has a theory that I believe is somewhat true. He theorizes that people's propensity to obey rules and laws decreases the higher in altitude they are. Now that I live at 8,400', I see more and more evidence of that."

Lou - Remind your friend that Chicago, New York and L.A. are at lower elevations. People at altitude may have a greater propensity to ignore ridiculous, nonsensical laws...they may remove the tags from their mattresses and leave notes or small objects in each other's mailboxes, but I would aver that your neighbors at 8400ft are statistically much less likely to be unethical, thieving dirtbags than those that surround me in Chicago.

26-Jul-14
I tell myself and my kids that there is "Right" and then there is everything else. Live Right and you will have no regrets. Regrets will haunt you.

26-Jul-14
Pretty simple,

We all know right from wrong.

Do what's right and you won't be wrong.

26-Jul-14
Hunter ethics? There's really only 3.

1. Obey the laws, both in intent and spirit.

2. Become as proficient as humanly possible with your weapon of choice, and then ONLY attempt shots that you know 100% are within your personal effective range.

3. When you do shoot an animal you do everything you possibly can within the limits of the law to recover it, whether it takes hours or days. Even if you don't find it what you will learn on that trail will be of great value on your next trail.

26-Jul-14
+++++ Woods Walker.

27-Jul-14
I think we're getting somewhere. That's a good list Woods Walker. I would maybe add one. 4. Respect your fellow hunter in the same way you would want to be respected. Both in and out of the woods.

27-Jul-14
Let's make it simple by these three words:

The Scout Law.

That would keep from redefining everything or waste time soul searching for the truth.

27-Jul-14
I try to conduct myself in a way that non hunters invite me to hunt on their land.

27-Jul-14
" Hunt as though a television camera was on you all the time and the world was watching." I don't know how many times I have used that statement in a column or article but feel free to use it if you like.

27-Jul-14
BuckSlayer: That's a good add-on. I was going to state something similar, like treat others the way you would want to be treated, but I was trying to keep it brief.

Bowriter: That may work for folks like you and I, but I've seen how some of these bozos act when a TV cam is on them and it ain't pleasant to watch!!

27-Jul-14
Bowriter I recently watched a well known bowhunter going after his Super Slam. He was after a Tule elk in California which at the time it was illegal to use illuminoks. So he did shoot a tule elk and went and picked up his arrow equipped with a lighted knock. I just sighed and thought when will people ever learn that once its on TV it's there for the world to see.

27-Jul-14
I didn't say, "Act as others do with a camera on them." I said act like it is on you. How would you want the world to regard you?

There is nothing you can do about other's ethics. Don't worry about it. Ethics are completely personal. How do you want your ethics to be regarded?

I have used that idea personally for several years. It seems to work for me.

27-Jul-14
The # 1 rule of ethics is consume what you kill. I got a lot more respect for hunters who eat 100% of the game they kill no matter how they kill it than I do these so called ethical hunters who throw the ribs of hocks away. It's all about not letting it go to waste because it's got a good taste. Lazy hunters have no place in my camp.

27-Jul-14
Buckslayer,

Not long ago a fellow WSF Director and I coordinated in writing a new Ethics Statement for the Wild Sheep Foundation.

Here's what we came up with and which the Board adopted:

"We believe great organizations must follow the principal, first, last and always that, 'Character matters.'

We believe this applies in all we do as an organization and as individuals representing the organization and the hunting community.

We will strive to set an example which other sportsmen and sportsmen's organizations will be inspired to follow.

As hunters, we must hold ourselves to the highest ethical standards. Just because something is legal does not mean it's ethical. It goes to follow that rationalizing an unethical action does not make that action ethical. We encourage our members to let their moral compass be their guide and to ask themselves daily,

*"Have my actions in the field today reflected the actions of a conservationist?"*

27-Jul-14
It is interesting to lift the hood on purported ethics. I know many of the "kill only what you eat" crowd and not one has ever eaten a coyote, fox, coon, or beaver but they don't spare lethality when given the opportunity to take them out. Same thing with the vast majority of bow fisherman who fertilize the banks with carp and gar. Then they look down their noses at you if you toss a ribcage from a deer. That's just queer.

Similar situational ethics apply to age of game. A lot of hunters consider it unethical to shoot a young deer but have zero qualms with shooting young squirrels or releasing "pan sized" catfish into a deep fryer. They actually prefer the young of species for their table fare. Illogical.

I disagree with the folks that also equate legal with ethical, as well. In some states, it is illegal to finish a deer with a knife. If you were at the end of a blood trail an hour after dark and came upon your weak and suffering prey, would you walk away because it was illegal to perform your duty?

27-Jul-14
"I didn't say, "Act as others do with a camera on them." I said act like it is on you. How would you want the world to regard you?"

Point taken! You are correct.

28-Jul-14
Hunt like you've never shopped at WalMart.

In all seriousness I sum up my ethics two ways: Hunt in a way that would make your dad and his dad proud. Hunt in way that would make your kids proud to call you dad. The rest is all gravy.

28-Jul-14
Sounds like ethical shots have been pretty well covered, maybe I can steer us in another direction.

When hunting on public (or private) grounds where there is a high likelihood of encountering others, do your best to yield and steer-clear of others. You are likely not the only hunter in the woods that did pre-season scouting and "worked your butt off to find this spot" . . . treat each hunter with respect and come up with a plan so that you both may enjoy the area without spoiling the hunt.

Don't stretch the size of an animal to be legal "this fish is 11 3/4" long . . . make that 12" long, throw him in the cooler)". It's a 3-point area and points must be 6" long to count . . . "I can't tell, third point or twig behind him . . . I'll shoot and look him over on the ground". How about . . . "Looks like she has been nursing, but I don't see any cubs . . . boom". All of these things . . . unethical and happen all too often because people think they have valid arguments to substantiate their harvest.

Shooting Time . . . The regs say "30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset" (or whatever they say for your particular hunt area). . . they don't say nearly pitch black to nearly pitch black. Sunrise and Sunset is provided on multiple websites as definitive times for each and every calendar day of the year. The reason that it's important is (for one reason) to keep young hunters from taking marginal shots due to low light . . . it's not just to keep you from killing more game because that's when they are up and moving. Shooting in low light conditions leads to poor judgement of distance, flight-path obstructions/deflections and (for evening shots) really difficult tracking for the inexperienced hunter (who you are gearing your article towards).

28-Jul-14
I have taken an animal unethically as a youth. Later I found out I'd never do it again not even for a world class animal. The self imposed guilt was not worth it. For me I know people might not be watching but my God and Savior is. These days my kids are watching everything i do even when I have no idea.

28-Jul-14
LckyTylr you make some great points. So easy to justify the "almost slot size" fish or "just 5 minutes past legal light". There is a lot of great advice and wisdom here guys. I appreciate all the feedback!

28-Jul-14
"Legal" and "ethical" are two very different things.

Just because something is legal does not necessarily mean that it is ethical, the two should never be mentioned in the same breath. For instance, a high-fence operation with an 5 acre enclosure, legal in some areas but ethical?

28-Jul-14
" For instance, a high-fence operation with an 5 acre enclosure, legal in some areas but ethical?"

Still ethical it's just not hunting.

28-Jul-14
"Legal" and "ethical" are two very different things."

Yes. X2

Ethics are in many ways where one person feels their's are superior to all others.... and those are the ones everyone should employ. Everything and everyone else, doing it any other than a way they themselves approve is unethical.

Owl, I've been scolded on this very site for taking a knife to the throat of a ram I spined. Even though it died faster and cleaner than pretty much any other way. It was "unethical" to do that rather than try to put another arrow into a flopping sheep flipping and sliding down the mountain.... not to mention busting up a perfectly good arrow for nothing.... =D

Your Ethics are what you have to live with in the end. Not a bludgeon to use on others to make one feel superior.

28-Jul-14
TD, there are Pharisees in every walk of life.:) Personally, I could not stand observant of a law that creates suffering. That would be one tenet that defines my ethical code. And, yeah, I agree that "ethics" are often more about ego than doing the right thing.

29-Jul-14
Sounds like ethical shots have been pretty well covered, maybe I can steer us in another direction.

When hunting on public (or private) grounds where there is a high likelihood of encountering others, do your best to yield and steer-clear of others. You are likely not the only hunter in the woods that did pre-season scouting and "worked your butt off to find this spot" . . . treat each hunter with respect and come up with a plan so that you both may enjoy the area without spoiling the hunt.

Don't stretch the size of an animal to be legal "this fish is 11 3/4" long . . . make that 12" long, throw him in the cooler)". It's a 3-point area and points must be 6" long to count . . . "I can't tell, third point or twig behind him . . . I'll shoot and look him over on the ground". How about . . . "Looks like she has been nursing, but I don't see any cubs . . . boom". All of these things . . . unethical and happen all too often because people think they have valid arguments to substantiate their harvest.

Shooting Time . . . The regs say "30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset" (or whatever they say for your particular hunt area). . . they don't say nearly pitch black to nearly pitch black. Sunrise and Sunset is provided on multiple websites as definitive times for each and every calendar day of the year. The reason that it's important is (for one reason) to keep young hunters from taking marginal shots due to low light . . . it's not just to keep you from killing more game because that's when they are up and moving. Shooting in low light conditions leads to poor judgement of distance, flight-path obstructions/deflections and (for evening shots) really difficult tracking for the inexperienced hunter (who you are gearing your article towards).

• Sitka Gear