Fuzzy 05-Aug-14
Hoot 05-Aug-14
moosenelson 06-Aug-14
Fuzzy 06-Aug-14
smarba 06-Aug-14
ShadowWalker 06-Aug-14
willliamtell 06-Aug-14
27-Jul-14
I would like to get feedback on your experiences with what's the best high energy, light weight, packable food. Something you would consider for your backpack on an overnight or a couple days stay away from the base camp.

27-Jul-14
peanut butter mixed with maple syrup, spread on flour tortilla, topped with crisp bacon. roll it up , wrap tightly with Press and Seal plastic wrap, repeat 5-6 times. Keeps well for 2-3 days. Probably longer but I eat them all by then.

27-Jul-14
I have been dehydrating fruit for my hunts in Utah and Colorado. It's fun and very light! Good luck! C

27-Jul-14
A typical day for me: honey bun, Cashews, Justin's almond butter, beef and cheese sticks, Cheese and cracker, M&M's, Bagel, energy gel tube, Jolly Ranchers, Mountain House meal, 100 ounces of water. I try to get around 100 calories per ounce, for a total of 3500 calories a day. It equates to roughly 2 pounds of food per day if living out of a backpack. I need at least 3000 calories a day just to keep going. The cashew packs you find at the checkout aisle of wal-mart or wherever are 500 calories a pack!

Keven

27-Jul-14
I'm an unabashed fan of Mountain House products. I also like offerings from Backpackers Pantry, MountainAire, Natural High and a few others. You've got to read labels to know content in terms of calories, fat and carbs. For two days out, I would need nothing unique or special. Oatmeal breakfast, MH lunch and dinner, few energy drink packets, few snack bars.

27-Jul-14

Vernon Edeler's embedded Photo
Vernon Edeler's embedded Photo
Last year I added some Cliff Gel Energy Shots to my pack. These are light and work pretty well when you need a little boost.

27-Jul-14
Breakfast: a mix of oatmeal, almond slices, wheat bran, flax seed, oat bran, chia seeds and heavy on powdered milk. Hot Tea with powdered Gatoraide

Snacks: trail mix heavy on nuts and dried fruits.

Lunch: foil packed tuna or salmon or smoked clams on Finn Crisp (rye crisp). Also Asiago cheese on the Finn Crisp some days.

Drink: H2O with Emergen-C ElectroMIX added in. This stuff eliminates cramps which is a requirement for me.

Supper: one Mt House Pro-pack with some dehydrated potatoes (Honest Earth creamy mashed from Costco) added in. Hot Gatoraide with or without tea.

I carry about 1.5 to 2 #s of food per day. The cooking takes 1 oz of fuel per person per day (boiling water for tea, Mt House, hot Gatoraide)

27-Jul-14
In a pint ziplock bag. cut a straw to fit inside of the bag. 1 pack of carnation instant breakfast, 2 scoops of protein powder, 1/2 cup of powdered milk. then add cold Mt. water when ever you want. mix well...then use the bag for wrappers and trash. I tried cutting a corner off the bag but it left a mess in the pack..

27-Jul-14
Plenty of threads have covered this, and some great items already mentioned.

I like the Gu's/gels noted above if I need a energy boost. I like Hammer Honey Stinger waffles for breakfast. They are ~ 140 cal per oz and I can eat them on the go. They also taste great.

27-Jul-14
Bars................. too many to mention

Pre packaged, easy, most high protein, some melt...some don't

27-Jul-14
I'm with Kevin Dill. When backpacking I take my Jetboil and lots of Mountain House meals. I generally plan for lunch and dinner as a Mountain House packet, breakfast is generally a tuna single, cinnamon raisin bagel, and instant coffee powder poured right down the gullet. I supplement throughout the day w/ smoked almonds and dried fruit. Wind up w grainy poop, but I always have plenty of gas in the tank.

27-Jul-14
I'm with Kevin Dill. When backpacking I take my Jetboil and lots of Mountain House meals. I generally plan for lunch and dinner as a Mountain House packet, breakfast is generally a tuna single, cinnamon raisin bagel, and instant coffee powder poured right down the gullet. I supplement throughout the day w/ smoked almonds and dried fruit. Wind up w grainy poop, but I always have plenty of gas in the tank. And none of that weighs much.

27-Jul-14
While searching the web today I found a recipe for homemade energy bars for those who are against any added sugar to your diets. I made a batch and they're pretty tasty. 2 cups oats, 2 cups nuts, your choice, recipe calls for pecans, 1-1/2 cups of pitted Dates, (these are your sweetener), 2 tsp cinnamon, 2 cups chopped Granny Smith apples. Toast the oats and pecans in a 350 degree oven until golden brown, not burnt. Combine all ingredients in a food processor and chop completely. Spread out evenly on parchment paper on a cookie sheet or baking dish. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. This recipe made 14 good size bars I may add miniature chocolate chips on my next batch.

28-Jul-14

..............and instant coffee powder poured right down the gullet.

Note to self: never take ANY advice from Sage! ;-)

28-Jul-14
This stuff is not lite but is a great energy source. Lived on it 7 summers up in canoe country.

Hudson Bay Bread Recipe No Text This is a recipe for what the Sommers Canoe Base calls Hudson Bay Bread, or sometimes just Bay Bread. In the 1960's, the Base got the recipe from the Minnesota Outward Bound School, and for several years it was baked at the Barbara Ann Bakery in Ely. At the bakery, it was baked in a convection oven, so it is difficult to get exactly the same effect in a conventional oven. This recipe comes very close. One important technique left out of the Base's official instructions is that rolled oats should be used (not instant oats), and more importantly, they should be ground up. A blender works fine for about a cup at a time, and a food processor would probably work even better. Bay Bread is most excellent as lunchtime fare on canoe trips when you are burning thousands of calories each day. It is convenient, easy to pack, and is a concentrated food source that everyone seems to look forward to on the trail. When you see the ingredients, you will see why it does NOT make a very good "light snack" at home.

1 1/2 lbs. (3 cups) butter or margarine - soft 4 cups sugar 2/3 cup corn syrup (light Karo) 2/3 cup honey 2 tsp. maple flavoring (Mapleine)

Cream together the above ingredients. Gradually add:

1 1/2 cups sliced almonds 19 cups finely ground rolled oats (see above)

Press into cake pan or large sheet pan about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Bake at 325 degrees for about 20 minutes. Do not overcook, as it will get crispy and brittle. Take out of oven and use spatula to press down (keeps it from crumbling). Cut into exactly 3 1/2 inch squares. Package in plastic bags with as many as there are crew members (one each for lunch). If you measured correctly, they should just fit into 1/2 gallon paper milk cartons. They will be protected, easy to pack, and easy to find when you want to grab a quick lunch. Slather with massive quantities of peanut butter and jelly, and wash it down with some Red-Eye, and you will know you ate lunch!

Hudson Bay Bread - What's in it? by Dave Greenlee Anybody can look at the ingredients in the recipe and see that bay bread is full of nutrients that help satisfy the kind of hunger you can only get while paddling and portaging all day long. Thanks to some detective work, now we can share a good bit more about the nutrition information.

No TextRecently my daughter Meghan went to England and made a discovery. She had heard the story that Sandy Bridges told us about the origination of the recipe and its roots as an English snack called "flapjacks". Imagine her surprise when she saw some bay bread packaged in cellephane on the shelf of a convenience store. There were several kinds, but the one that looked most like bay bread was called "Mixed fruit flapjack".

She dutifully bought one and dragged it home so that I could see her discovery. On the front of the package, it says: "with raisins, sultanas, and currents". Since I didn't know what a sultana was, I checked the Internet and found out that in the U.K., a sultana is a dried Thompson Seedess grape, a "special" kind of raisin. Also, it certainly looks just like bay bread, except that the portion is about half the size of our typical 3 1/2" (just fits in a milk carton) size.

On the back is the ingredients list:

No TextOats (47%), Partially Inverted sugar syrup (containing flavouring), Margarine (containing emulsifiers), Colours (Annatto, Curcumin), Flavourings, Butter, Sugar, Raisins (2%), Sultanas (2%), Currants (2%)

...and even a table of nutrition information

per 100g per slice* Energy Value 1725kJ / 410kcal. 2562kJ / 610 kcal. Protein 5.8 g 8.8 g Fat 15g 22g Carbohydrate 63g 94g Fibre 3.2g 4.8g Sodium .2g .4g

* I doubled the values from the 75g portion to indicate a typical (150g) canoe base portion

Look at the carbohydrate! It sure isn't going to make it for the Atkins Diet. On the other hand, you can begin to see better why we look forward to it on the trail. Keep in mind that these numbers are BEFORE you put the peanut butter and jelly on.

Enjoy,

Dave

28-Jul-14

Ace's Link
Have any of you guys tried the Powdered Peanut Butter? There may be others but the one I have is called PB2. It's roasted peanuts pressed to remove a lot of the fat and oil. It's all natural and the ingredient list says: Roasted Peanuts, Sugar and Salt.

Once you add water It's essentially low fat peanut butter. And it tastes good. I'd put the taste as worse than a gourmet peanut butter but comparable to Skippy or Jiff. It also comes in a Chocolate flavored Peanut Butter, but I haven't tried that one.

You can mix it directly with jelly or honey for a sandwich spread or dip bananas in it, etc. It seems like it would be good for cooking too, add it to oatmeal, cookie mix etc.

I realize that fat calories aren't a Problem for active hunters, but it still has 5 grams of protein per 2 tbsp serving, it tastes good, and it has a long shelf life. It comes in a plastic bottle but transferred to a plastic bag it's also quite compact and it's lightweight. Price seems to be close to the equivalent amount of a commercial PB.

I suspect that once the preppers discover it, it will become a staple in their pantries.

I found it at my local grocery store, my first reaction was: 'how good can that be?' but my girlfriend pulled out her phone and looked it up, and it had almost all top rated reviews so I tried it. You can learn all about it (or order it) at the link, or: www.BellPlantation.com

28-Jul-14

Ace's Link
Sorry about the above bad link, it helps if you can spell/type; try this one:

28-Jul-14
PB2 is definitely good stuff. It has really good taste, and can be used in several ways. As far as hunting food goes, it would probably be good added to other things, but it's pretty low calorie compared to real PB. I bet it would be really good in a granola / powdered milk concoction...

Keven

29-Jul-14
The lightest food per calorie are Pop Tarts believe it or not. They always grace my pack when venturing into the backcountry.

Cheers, Pete

29-Jul-14
peanut butter and bacon and:

Fuzzy’s Meal-Bars: 1 cup honey 1031 Calories Fat 0g Sodium 14mg (1%) Dietary Fiber 0.7g (3%) Protein 1 g (2%) Total Carbs 279g (93%) Vitamin A 0g (0%) Vitamin C (3%) Calcium (2%) Iron (8%) 1 Cup powdered milk 464 Calories Total fat 6.9g (11%) Saturated Fat 4.3g (22%) Cholesterol 83mg (28%) Sodium 620 mg (27%) Total carbs 59g (20%) Fiber 0g Protein 41g (82%) Vitamin A (1%) Vitamin C (11%) Calcium (142%) Iron (2%) 1 Cup flax seed meal 534 Calories Total fat 42g (65%) Saturated fat 3.7g (18%) Cholesterol 0g Sodium 30mg (1%) Total Carbs 29g (10%) Fiber 27g (108%) Protein 18g (36%) Vitamin A (0%) Vitamin C (1%) Calcium (36%) Iron (22%) 1 cup Steel Cut Oats 607 Calories Total fat 11g (17%) Saturated fat 1.9g (10%) Cholesterol 0 Sodium 3.1 mg (0%) Total Carbs 103g (34%) Fiber 17g (68%) Protein 26g (52%) Vitamin A (0%) Vitamin C (0%) Calcium (8%) Iron (41%) 1 cup Shredded coconut 283 Calories Total fat 27g (42%) Saturated fat 24g (120%) Cholesterol 0 mg Sodium 16 mg (1%) Total Carbs 12g (4%) Fiber 7.2g (29%) Protein 2.7g (5%) Vitamin A (0%) Vitamin C (4%) Calcium (1%) Iron (11%) 1 cup Chopped pecans 753 calories Total fat 78g (120%) Saturated fat 6.7g (34%) Cholesterol 0g Sodium 0mg Total Carbs 15g (5%) Fiber 11g (22%) Protein 10g (20%) Vitamin A (0%) Vitamin C (2%) Calcium (8%) Iron (15%)

1 cup Chopped Figs 371 Calories Total fat 1.4g (2%) Saturated fat 0.2g (1%) Cholesterol 0 Sodium 15mg (1%) Total Carbs 95g (32%) Fiber 15g (60%) Protein 4.9g (10%) Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 3% Calcium 24% Iron 17% 1 tablespoon Olive oil 119 calories Total Fat 14g (22%) Saturated fat 1.9g (10%) Cholesterol 0g Sodium 0 mg Total Carbs 0g Fiber 0g Protein 0g Vitamin A ( 0%) Vitamin C (0%) Calcium (0%) Iron (0%)

Heat the honey (I use blue agave syrup sometimes instead) in a cooking pot until very thin (don’t scorch it), turn off the heat, add in this order: Powdered milk, olive oil, flax seed meal, shredded coconut, steel cut oats, nuts, chopped figs. Stir each ingredient in well with a wooden spoon before adding the next. You can substitute dried dates, blueberries, cranberries, strawberries, apples, raisins, currants whatever. You can use walnuts, sunflower seeds, peanuts, slivered almonds, etc instead of pecans. It’ll change your nutritional values a little.

Press into a shallow rectangular 9” Pyrex dish, chill, then cut into rectangular bars. Wrap in foil oiled lightly with olive oil. Makes 12 servings@: (this recipie) +/- 347 calories ….about right for a quick, portable meal-replacement) Total Fat 94g (61% RDA)

30-Jul-14
Olive oil cheese dried blue berries homemade dried meat/ jerky with some salt spices some nuts; pecans, almonds, macadamia nuts lotsa and lots water I don't like eating things with labels, I get more energy from real foods.

30-Jul-14
I like a hot meal before bed so I pack a mountain house (easy prep and no clean up) for every dinner. I just snack throughout the day besides that. Chewy granola bars, pop tarts, trail mix, crunched up dry ramen noodles (weird I know), and I always pack gatorade powder or mio/powerade drops to flavor the water. Adds a few more calories to your diet and masks any funky residual taste after your drops/filter.

30-Jul-14
Ace,

I may have to check that stuff out to add to my protein shakes that way when I add pb to it I would not need a blender

30-Jul-14
The Roman armies marched on salami in their bellies. Dried salami is really good source of energy especially for snacks on the go. It doesn't need refrigerated until you open the package then it's not going to go bad instantly once opened.

30-Jul-14
removed the nutritional data to make the recipie easier to read:

Fuzzy’s Meal-Bars:

1 cup honey

1 cup Steel Cut Oats

1 cup Shredded coconut

1 cup Chopped pecans

1 cup flax seed meal

1 cup non fat dry milk (or buttermilk) powder

1 cup Chopped Figs

1 tablespoon Olive oil

Heat the honey (I use blue agave syrup sometimes instead) in a cooking pot until very thin (don’t scorch it), turn off the heat, add in this order: Powdered milk, olive oil, flax seed meal, shredded coconut, steel cut oats, nuts, chopped figs. Stir each ingredient in well with a wooden spoon before adding the next. You can substitute dried dates, blueberries, cranberries, strawberries, apples, raisins, currants whatever. You can use walnuts, sunflower seeds, peanuts, slivered almonds, etc instead of pecans. It’ll change your nutritional values a little.

Press into a shallow rectangular 9” Pyrex dish, chill, then cut into rectangular bars. Wrap in foil oiled lightly with olive oil. Makes 12 servings@: (this recipie) +/- 347 calories ….about right for a quick, portable meal-replacement) Total Fat 94g (61% RDA)

30-Jul-14
"Fuzzy’s Meal-Bars"

This is my breakfast every day when I'm in the elk woods!

Super packable, and you can customize the recipe for your individual taste. Well done, Fuzzy!

Best of Luck Jeff

30-Jul-14
thanks Jeff :-)

30-Jul-14
I like being simple. Flour tortilla, peanut butter spread on it with either hunter's sausage or bacon in the middle rolled up. 2-4 of thise rolled up and put in a gallon ziplock bag.

Then there is the Mountain House meals with a jetboil to go along with them.

31-Jul-14
I know a guy who takes Spam. Yuck :)

31-Jul-14
I made Fuzzy Bars last year also. Thanks for the recipe!

I ran across another recipe (similar). I call them "bird seed bars".

And no matter what you eat during the day, an MH meal hits the spot at the end of the day. Looking forward to that hot meal at the end of the day is an incentive.

31-Jul-14
I know a guy who takes Spam. Yuck :)

I did just that on a goat hunt on Kauai 2 years ago. Not the highlight of the hunt, but I can't think of a more beautiful place to eat it.

31-Jul-14
I love Spam-dogs, cut in hotdog size strips, grill or boil and eat on buns with mustard and onion...mmmm!!!!!!!!!!!

31-Jul-14
Fuzzy,have you ever tried sunflower seeds in lieu of pecans?

31-Jul-14
Genesis, I have. It raises the fat content, and sodium, if you use salted but it's tasty

31-Jul-14
How long would your bars be good for in ziplock bags give or take?

Sounds like a great idea. I plan to make a batch this weekend to see how they taste.

31-Jul-14
Thanks again, Fuzzy. I'm going to make a test batch this weekend.

31-Jul-14

Adventurewriter's embedded Photo
Adventurewriter's embedded Photo
Some great ideas...gonna try that Fuzzy...

I call this the "Colorado Gut Bomb"

Bagel, peanut butter, sliced cooked sweet potato, dates, honey and strawberry jam. I make about four at a time and wrap them in foil. Not that light weight be really good tasting and loaded with calories and other good stuff and easy to throw in a pack and go

01-Aug-14
TEmbry, they are temp stable and should last indefinately. The oilve oil won't go rancid and the moisture is low so they don't mold.

01-Aug-14
Adventurewriter, your meal looks great, but I'd leave out the cooked sweet potato. ideal growth medium for C. Perfringens, which you do NOT want!

01-Aug-14
I wonder if chickens could be trained to follow you around. Each chicken could carry a couple grunola bars.

01-Aug-14
yes, chickens can be trained to follow you around. just carry some granola bars to feed them

01-Aug-14
Bacon? who doesn't like bacon....

01-Aug-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Norseman, bacon is my favorite salad

01-Aug-14
"ideal growth medium for C. Perfringens, which you do NOT want! "

Fuzzy what do you mean???

01-Aug-14
Adventurewriter, moist, low pH, starchy foods like cooked potatoes, cooked carrots, cooked rice, cooked sweet potatoes, and cooked pasta, are ideal growth media for the Clostridium family of bacteria, C. Perfringens especially likes these type foods, it grows fairly slowly, takes > 6 hours to get growth with spore formation which might be dangerous when consumed, but the spores once formed aren't killed by normal (<200 degrees) cooking temperatures, and once in your gut, can make you very sick, sometimes sick unto death, and usually sick unto wanting to die. No joke.

01-Aug-14
http://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/clostridium-perfingens.html

01-Aug-14
Fuzzy thanks...would if it stays cold????? I have been cooking and eating sweet potatos later on tip for decades.

03-Aug-14

midwest's MOBILE embedded Photo
midwest's MOBILE embedded Photo

Fuzzy bars!

03-Aug-14
Gonna modify them fuzzy bars this week. Thanks! With six kids and three more weeks:let the experiments begin!

04-Aug-14
Adventurewriter, yes, if they stay cold (below 41 degrees F is the "new" rule but below 45 degrees worked for years and C. Perf likes warmer temps)

04-Aug-14
midwest, those look great! are you using honey, or agave syrup?

04-Aug-14
Honey....the agave is expensive!

Really like the flax seed meal...going to start sprinkling some in my oatmeal.

Protein content is about 8.5g per Fuzzy Bar...not bad. These will make a good change of pace to my Alton Brown granola bars.

04-Aug-14
Protein powder can also be thrown into the Fuzzy bar mix to boost the protein level. Yum

04-Aug-14
Eric B, it sure can, my normal diet is already so protein-heavy that I like the roughly equal protein/carb breakdown, but you can "boost" protein easily by upping the non fat dry buttermilk or adding protein powder, you can back off the carbs some by tweaking the oats content down, or using more coconut and less fruit.... I'll be honest, after a lot of tweaking I found the 1/1/1/1/1 ratio to be easy to remember, and a good balance of texture, nutrition, fiber, and palatability, but depending on what you need, you can sure move ratios around as desired.

One thing I would NOT do, is subsitute other fats for olive oil, or delete the small amount of olive oil. The oil is needed for texture and to control surface stickiness so it doesn't goo all over the wrapper, and olive oil won't go rancid like other fats.

04-Aug-14
Combination of: instant rice, package tuna, dehydrated veggies. I dehydrate my own tomatoes, etc, so I don't get gouged buying that. Most fruits sliced thin and dehydrated are very yummy.

For one or two days away from basecamp, preprepared/packaged is probably a good way to go. Trader Joes peanut bars were cheap, good and full of calories my recent backpack trip.

05-Aug-14
williamtell, I dehydrate my own fruits n veg too...dried green tomato and zucchini are excellent backpacking snacks

05-Aug-14
Fuzzy, dehydrators rock. I figured out that commercial dehydrated strawberies run about $40/lb, and don't taste as good as mine. I can get a decent gallon bag of organic ones for about $10 nic time/labor. Throw it in the oatmeal and yum.

I use dryland farmed tomatoes (lower water content to begin with )and they are almost like candy - really improves the bland stuff you get from Mtn House etc.

We could do a whole separate thread about the best dehydrated jerky recipe. In fact, I think I will.

05-Aug-14
please do :-)

05-Aug-14
what dehydrators are you guys using?

Ever dehydrate your entire meals?

06-Aug-14
dehydrating a meal would interest me but id be worried about growing cooties in those meals. Anyone got the lowdown? I know we've done soup.

06-Aug-14
I'd shy away from trying to dehydrate whole meals... too much micro-organism complexity going on... dehydrate individual ingredients and combine them after

06-Aug-14
Camofire has some bars on sale today that are pretty good.

06-Aug-14
I'm having good luck with dehydrating chili. Otherwise, separate ingredients and combine after dehydrated.

06-Aug-14
I've got an open country gardenmaster with about a dozen trays. Seems to be pretty even drying and fast, and cleanup is easy with the plastic. Make sure you get enough trays (I've got about 10) because things like mushrooms don't like to wait.

• Sitka Gear