Bentshaft 27-Jul-14
WapitiBob 27-Jul-14
Bentshaft 27-Jul-14
Yates 27-Jul-14
WhoCares 27-Jul-14
Teeton 27-Jul-14
BTM 27-Jul-14
27-Jul-14
How long should the waterproofing of Gortex boots last? I have been a fan of Lowa boots thru the years. I think I have had 9 different pairs in the past & present, for hunting & everyday use. I have sent 2 pairs back to Lowa to be replaced because I got wet feet just walking in wet grass. The latest pair were Lowa Rangers. The only pair that is total waterproof is the Mountain Boot GTX, probably 7 years old, which is a heavy leather. I just got back from a 1 1/2 hour walk with wet feet with the Creek II boots (maybe 5 yrs. old), had Gortex gators on. I sprayed Obernaut's 16% silicone on them last night & applied SnoSeal with a hair dryer before I left this morning. I usually use silicone spray & AquaSeal on my boots. I hate to think of having to buy $300 boots every 2 years for elk trips. I guess I need to check out other boot manufactures. Any suggestions?

27-Jul-14
It has been my experience that the "Gortex" liners will wear out in time and sometimes within a few years with a lot of wear. Before Rock'y out sourced their manufacturing their Cortex liners were hard to beat. My Danner liners only lasted two seasons, but the company with reline for a price. My extreme leather boots by Meindl have held up well especially with Obenauf's treatments.

I also use Obenauf's spray but combine it with their water shield paste and apply three applications and also use a hair drier.

Water proof leather boots, NOT!

My best, Paul

27-Jul-14

Bentshaft's Link
I avoid putting pastes, cremes, containing beeswax on my boots because it reduces the boots breathing capability by plugging it's pores. Liquid mink oil is all I use on my leather Gore-tex boots in the last 15 years. Softens, preserves and waterprofs, but it does darken the leather. Very happy with this product.

27-Jul-14

Bentshaft's Link
For some reason the hyperlink above won't work.

http://www.amazon.com/Fiebings-Mink-Oil-Liquid-Oz/dp/B000FJQSY8

27-Jul-14
I get about 1/4 mile before it leaks. It's been the same for 30 years.

Goretex has no business being in a boot. As a boot flexes and stretches it will tear a gortex liner apart in short order. If Goretex actually worked there would be no market for boot waterproofing oils and creams. Obviously I'm not a fan.

27-Jul-14
You still have to treat the leather weather the boot is goretex or not....with oils and creams, and most of those are waterproofing as well.

27-Jul-14
Ridge Rock you're doing it right by treating the leather. Early on I think gore-tex works but as some have mentioned it wears out. I use the cream that come in the black jar, and recently Kennetrek's boot cream with decent results.

Good luck!

27-Jul-14
Two years seems to be the max. I wear my boots a lot and don't expect a third season out of the gortex on any boot.

27-Jul-14
WapitiBob. X2

27-Jul-14
WapitiBob X 100! I've had them leak right out of the box, and at best they crapped out after a year or two.

If I'm concerned about water, I use Mucks.

• Sitka Gear