Success with double fencing
Whitetail Deer
Contributors to this thread:
tadpole 27-Jul-14
tadpole 27-Jul-14
27-Jul-14

tadpole's embedded Photo
tadpole's embedded Photo
Finally, a successful fencing of my two food plots. Only one deer seems to have found a way in and a way out without trashing the fence. One acre pumpkin patch was fenced as well as a one acre Eagle soybean patch. Double fencing was used on both. The difference to Pat's fence is... my inner fence 'wire' is NOT electrified and is only made of white, 5/8 inch strapping tape (cheaper than polytape). 3 ground rods, 4 foot each, were put in with each having a direct 10 gauge braided copper wire to the ground terminal on the fencer. The strapping tape is about 36 inch high, while the outer polytape is electrified with a Zareba solar fencer (testing about 5800 volts at the far end). This wire is about 20 inches off the ground (wanted to keep the fawns out also). Now that the fawns are larger, I probably could raise the outside wire. I did coat the electric tape with peanut butter and haven't noticed any encroachment since! ( A great tip that I think I read here on Bowsite.)

A tribute to Nutritionist' suggestion, I planted a plot of Kale and forage brassicas right next to the fenced soybeans....and wow, do the deer love that kale! but yet the fence keeps 'em all out of that bean patch.

The only thing I am wondering about is: since the Kale is getting hammered so much, this early...can I overseed with something now to reinforce that patch for the upcoming bow season? Maybe more Kale? or Buck Forage oats? (my deer don't eat turnips, so that might be out.)

27-Jul-14
I am also wondering at what point to remove the fence surrounding the bean patch? Suggestions?

• Sitka Gear