LBshooter 12-Aug-14
mokiman1 15-Aug-14
drycreek 15-Aug-14
Elkman52 17-Aug-14
Big D 20-Aug-14
BlisteredHooves 21-Aug-14
Huntography 21-Aug-14
08-Aug-14
Not an elk hunter by any stretch of the imagination, but this footage looks hard to beat for an adrenaline rush, like nothing I have ever experienced with a whitetail..

I hope this link works - otherwise this post is useless...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202590563305465

How many of you have ever gotten to experience something like that?

If someone knows how to imbed that video in this thread, that would be awesome...

08-Aug-14

Jack Harris's Link
will try this - yeah that's a bit better, at least it's one-click

08-Aug-14
Wow! Now that is definitely up close and personal!

08-Aug-14
Wow that's close. Awesome footage.

08-Aug-14
Question to you experienced Elker's... To me, the hunter lucked out to get off a quality shot, because he appeared to make a mistake and move when he was adjacent to the bull's eye. Would you have waited for him to get past you before drawing and take the 5 yrd quarter away shot?

Didn't CITYHUNTER have something similar (very close encounter - right Louis???)

08-Aug-14
Don't know the circumstances leading up to the bull getting on top of him but I would have certainly been at full draw well before he got that close if at all possible.

Many times a spooked bull can be stopped with a quick call but I would say he go a little lucky on that one:)

08-Aug-14
Yes, Brad did make a mistake. He should have drawn his bow much earlier. I feel that waiting to long to draw is the number one mistake that leads to missed chances. Happened to me years ago. Bull came straight in and at 10 yards I drew , he spun and bolted and my shot hit him in the rear leg. Now I will be at full draw and if he comes straight in he gets a frontal at 10 yards.

08-Aug-14
Facebook links on Bowsite? The end is near!

08-Aug-14
Charlie - you can even click that little blue box Pat installed up top, and "like" it on FB :)

08-Aug-14
Jack.....You are right on. I think he was very lucky. I had one like that at 5 ft. but at full draw as he was walking by with a bush between us. As I slowly followed his vitals through my peep, he caught my movement and bolted. There was no stopping him.This was a real learning experience for me.....Badbull

08-Aug-14
I was invited to hunt private land two years ago. I was hunting solo and had a bull coming into my calls. I finally spotted him about a 100 yards away on top of a ridge. As he started down the hill I moved up from my position about 20 yards to a tree in front of me. I drew when he was 50 yards away while he was on the move. I took a guess that he would turn left at the bottom of the hill and move into an opening to the right of the tree I was behind. well he keeps coming and did a slight left turn but then straightened out and headed right to my tree. He gets right behind the tree and stretches his neck to look around it until his nose was about 6 inches away from the end of my fully drawn arrow! He stood there for almost 30 seconds until he finally winded me. Never gave me shot but it was one of the coolest experience I have had while Elk hunting. The funny thing is not many people believe me, ha including my hunting partner! In hindsight I guess I was lucky he decided to run instead of lower his antlers and fight :).

08-Aug-14
Always enjoyed Brad on the Primos Truth series.

I just happened to catch his new show last night on the Sportsmans Channel.

Looks like he anticipated the bull to go left, that didn't happen!

Very close indeed.

08-Aug-14
What you guys talking about? I thought that was normal. lol....

This is still my favorite up close and personal.... You gotta have a set of brass balls.

08-Aug-14
He really wasn't all that lucky. Over the years, I've had similar encounters with bulls. They often spook and stop a very short distance away to look back, just like that one did. The few times it happened to me, it was with bulls I didn't want to shoot, but I stored the info away for the future.

08-Aug-14
I had an encounter at about 7 yards that was similar to this. I was sitting on a small ledge above a reservoir and had a herd come out of the trees and follow the drainage to the reservoir right past me. The elk were trotting at eye level and in the rear was a 340 inch bull. When most of the cows had gotten by me and the bull was still coming I drew, thinking he would stop at the movement. Apparently he was so concentrated on his harem that he didn't even notice me draw. He ended up broadside right in front of me and I sent an arrow through him. After that he made a couple of leaps into the reservoir and stood still. I was worried that I had made a bad shot so I put another arrow in him. Not one of the elk noticed me and kept walking by me at 7 yards and less even after the bull jumped out of the water and died 30 yards away. I had over 7 other bulls walk right past me into the water. I finally couldn't take it anymore and tried to leave the area when it seemed like all the elk had moved off. When I moved off the ledge I got busted by a couple of cows and bulls that were standing at the top of the reservoir. That will probably be the most exciting night of elk hunting I will ever experience and yes I know it was mainly due to good luck since I drew with animals walking right at me. I'll take luck any day!

08-Aug-14
I had one pee on my knee as he was bugling at 3-4 feet quartering toward me. I was trying to let him pass but it all became too much so I took the sharp quartering to me shot. Got a lung and femoral artery on the far side so he only went maybe 75 yds but that's something you'll never forget when they get that close! I was kneeling and the arrow barely left my bow before it made contact.

08-Aug-14
Oh hell yes he made a major mistake and dropped a nice bull!!!!

08-Aug-14
He sure made a sweet shot after that.

08-Aug-14

Jack, I had a bull like that walk past me at less than 10 feet once.

I held perfectly still, and I thought I could get away with drawing on him after he got past me, so I could get the quartering away shot...no dice! As soon as I moved, he bugged out.

Those bulls have eyes in the back of their heads! This dude was one lucky son of a gun!

Best of Luck, Jeff

08-Aug-14
Yup, he wasn't rattled and he kept his cool. He made a perfect shot under immense pressure. Yeah, he was lucky alright.

08-Aug-14
folks I meant "lucky" in sense that the bull stopped... He moved, it caught it, but it stopped... I am sure on many situations that bull would keep running... Heck if it was me, on my first elk hunt, probably would have #### my drawers or had a heart attack...

08-Aug-14
Jack, I agree 100%. Whether you use the word "lucky" or not, he was very fortunate the bull stopped in range and gave him a good shot angle. Good on him for maintaining his composure and making a great shot.

A few years ago, although I didn't think I would be able to, I called a nice bull out of a nasty hole, away from his cows. There were 3 trees 20yds directly in front of me, with shooting lanes on either side. He came straight to me until he was maybe 5 yds on the other side of the trees, then he angled to my right. I had already come to full draw and was ready for the "slam dunk". For a reason known only to that bull, he decided to turn around and go around to the other side of the trees. I slowly swung with him, and although his vision was screened by those trees, he picked up that slight movement. Of course, he stopped one step from exposing his goodies, then he wheeled and ran straight away from me. I was able to stop him at about 40yds, but I elected to pass on the hamblaster shot. He then slowly walked back down to his cows. That bull was "lucky" or fortunate that day, whatever you want to call it. I wasn't!

09-Aug-14
Guess I wont be watching the elk video as I DO NOT participate in facebook:) but that's a great moose encounter. Rackman sure was shook up after the shot. I had a 1yr old spike come in on a rope last year to cow calls, walked about 3 yards on front of me to where I could have almost touched him with my bow. Couldn't shoot him but got the blood pumpin for shure. Cant wait til sept.

09-Aug-14
The bull I killed last year (just posted the story) came through just like that only about 1/4 the distance. I let him walk by at about 2ft and stuck him at 10ft when he stopped. I was at full draw long before he came that close. When he walked by I didn't think I had enough room for arrow clearance. This will happen to most elk hunters at some point

09-Aug-14
I took a 5X5 that came in like that. I was at full draw as he approached and as he walked by I put it through him. He wasn't coming in to our bugling but to the dead elk my partner was sitting next to! He never saw either one of us as he was so focused on the dead bull.

09-Aug-14
I've had my share of these close encounters and its easy with a compound getting drawn early... and taking that up close frontal shot.....just wonder how the longbow and recurve would be in the same situation? Seems like it adds a degree of difficulty to the situation....I plan to find out for myself one of these days.

09-Aug-14
Lungshot,

That moose video I posted....Can you imagine that? Not me. No way.... If that moose had decided to go mowing through there at anytime he might have been killed. When he shot it that close it looks like he dove toward the tree a bit because it looked at 1st like the moose might run toward him. I am not sure I would have had the balls to take that shot. What was it? 4 or 5 yards tops. If he was a couple feet closer the arrow would not have left the string before it hit the moose. lol...

My dad was almost killed by a moose. He called it and it came running though the woods like an elephant and was just mowing over everything in its path. He had to take cover behind a small tree and shot the moose in the head with his 300 magnum when it was on a dead run straight at him. The moose piled up about 10 yards from that tree. He said that he figured if he had missed it the moose would have blown through that tree he was behind. He said he had to change his shorts lol. I just cant imagine shooting a moose from that close. It would be quite the experience. I have shot deer that close and it is intense but I cant imagine being eye to eye with a huge moose at 5 to 7 yards.

10-Aug-14
hard to say but me? I'd be shocked if I wasn't already drawn, holding and waiting and likely I'd have shot the bull head on at 5-10 steps depending on how he came in

when the animal is RIGHT THERE is the WRONG time to draw a compound bow IMO

10-Aug-14
Is thos viewable on anything other then facebooger???

10-Aug-14
I shot a bull at about 4 feet, maybe less. He came up a little wash to a cow that was off to my right. I could only see his antler tips and when I saw them turn my way and start up to me I drew my bow. He walked right at me and at about 5 feet he decided to go on the other side of a little tree, maybe 3' tall. If he hadn't, he would have pushed me out of the way.

My opinion, you gotta get your bow back before they're in view. I'd rather have it back and not need to shoot than have a shot and not be able to make it.

10-Aug-14
Love the flinch! Don't blame him a bit.

10-Aug-14
"Is thos viewable on anything other then facebooger??? "

I don't do facebook but if I click on Jacks link in the second post it runs for me.

10-Aug-14
AZ...caught the flinch, and understand.

Rackman did not really kill that moose. He couldn't have because he did NOT have his quiver on his bow! (in reference to some flaming responses on the subject)

One thing about the moose video, is that you can tell the guy is REALLY that excited and not acting it.

We didn't have to get the "Donnez-moi une minute, les gens" (anybody know who that is in reference to?)

Brad Ferris is a danged good hunter, who has killed a lot of elk. Funny how guys like him are often the ones who "got lucky."

11-Aug-14
Every time I got busted and stopped them with a cow call or squeal there was always something between my broadhead and there lungs? Lucky guy!

11-Aug-14
Beendare, I've shot quite a few with my longbow and recurve at under 10 yards in similar situations. Three yards, six yards; the one in my recent story in Extreme Elk magazine bugled at me at seven. I either pick a spot where I can draw when his head goes behind a tree, or if coming like this one I just wait until he goes past and shoot him quartering away.

Sometimes I stop them with a hard popping voice grunt just as their eyes reach the tree and they never pay attention to my draw because they're expecting some motion from the other "bull's" antlers.

Lots of times on bulls I've shot, called in for others, or called in and passed up, they stop right there and turn their head to look the other way, allowing a draw, anchor and release in one motion.

11-Aug-14
Encounters like that are the reason I LOVE elk hunting.I've had them almost run me over after just setting up and making a couple calls.I mean happens in seconds every now and then esp. with little bulls.The one bull I shot was standing on the other side of a blowdown.Missed with 1st shot and slowly reknocked another arrow and sent it home.sometimes I'd rather be lucky then good

12-Aug-14
My hunting buddy had 2 close encounters. 1 was so close that the arrow didn't clear the bow before impact. The reaction from the bull caused the arrow to knock the bow out of his hand!

The 2nd, a bull actually sniffed his shoulder and spooked. I happen to cow call at the right time for him to get a arrow in him. When I got to my buddy, he had elk snot on his face and shoulder.

12-Aug-14
Wow that's some very cool footage, I think most of us would have moved. The boy was amped up and coming right at him, would have made me flinch.

15-Aug-14
Most serious Elk hunters will hit this situation over time but with moose hunting that guys got Couljones. 7 years ago on my first Elk Bow hunt I called a 5X5 and watched him come in from 200 or 300 yards away, so I just shut down the Cow calling and watched the whole way. Well expecting him to come in right in front of me in the open he walked right thru these thick pines and stopped 10 yards away with only his shoulder and head looking right at me (rest of his body behind small saplings). Well I held for probably 1 min and made the rookie mistake and tried to shoot him thru the shoulder, needless to say the arrow went in maybe 3 inches (found arrow 50 yards away)and this Elk ran off, I tracked for about 2 miles in snow and it basically stopped. I pissed him off but the moral is don't try to shoot an Elk thru the shoulder as its solid bone and #2 learn to hold that bow back for as long as you can because at some point in your bow hunting career you'll need it. #3 is to probably shoot him in the neck next time but not sure on that one?

15-Aug-14
writer, you took the words right out of my mouth. The harder you hunt........

17-Aug-14
Mokiman1 #3 is not even a choice or consideration.

20-Aug-14
I had a nice 6x6 nose less than a foot from my ear, Ive has a couple cows and a calf within arms reach Kind of a rush

21-Aug-14
After tagging out one year. A buddy called a little 6 right in. I was down the hill about 50 yards and as the bull ducked his head to get thru some brush I clocked him with a nice big stick in the ribs from 2 yards.

Paybacks are a bitch. He jumped 3 feet in the air. Oh. was wearing red/black plaid shirt and cowboy hat. All sitka/asat approved of course.

Boy elk hunting is fun.

21-Aug-14
Very cool!

R

• Sitka Gear