Fields 02-Sep-14
obeRON 02-Sep-14
BULELK1 03-Sep-14
Dino 03-Sep-14
grossklw 04-Sep-14
grossklw 04-Sep-14
Bowkid 04-Sep-14
09-Aug-14
I had surgery for a ruptured achilles tendon in july while trying to play basketball at 57 years of age. I've always wore hiking boots to hunt in and was wondering if any of you had tendon surgery and what type of boots you wear. I was thinking about getting a taller boot to help give me more support,Also what type of boot would give me the best support?

09-Aug-14
I tore mine playing basketball at age 33 in 1986, never played basketball again after that because I didn't want to miss bow hunting season.

The Doctor fitted me with a heel lift of about 1/2 inch on the injured foot! Took a good year to get healthy but shook me up pretty good! Good luck! C

09-Aug-14
wvbownut, I had surgery on mine last July 31. Ended up re-rupturing it and popping incision open(slipped after shower and didnt have ortho boot on)and had surgery on September 6 last year. Had skin graft/skin flap surgery in December because incision wasn't healing. My right foot and footwear are having some disagreements. I tried on my 8" Rocky Lynx boots last week and they felt pretty good. I have been on a shoe buying mission and have found out the the Skechers with memory foam are very nice. I'm not sure if they have any boots but it might be something to ckeck out.

09-Aug-14
I have No arch in my feet. My ankles roll very easily because of this. I have a pair of Cabelas "Canada" boots by Meindle. They are 11" high and they offer exceptional support for my feet. If you have a Cabelas nearby, have them bring in a pair to the store and try them. They are about $280or so but worth every penny. This will be my sixth year hunting with them and I train with them also. Hope this helps. Joe.

10-Aug-14

Dino's MOBILE embedded Photo
Dino's MOBILE embedded Photo

I fully ruptured my Achilles last August while I was waterskiing. I chose the non operative route and it's healed amazingly well. I was super careful for the first 4 months, after that I felt that I could wear "normal" boots. Other than having a smaller and weaker calf, I am back to doing what I want without fear of re rupture. Go slowly and be careful and you should be fine! Good luck to you.

11-Aug-14
+1 Dino I partially ruptured mine hiking in on a mountain goat hunt. No surgery, but lots of pain. OK now, but that calf is smaller and weaker.

02-Sep-14
I blew my right one at 55 years old. Recovery for me was a wooly booger. Probably a year until I did not think about it all the time. Five years later, I still don't have the range of motion I would like although I did the rehab regularly. I did not really make any change in hunting boot style but did have to go to a half size larger boot the first hunting season.

02-Sep-14
I'm with Charlie. Exact same thing happened to me... Never played a basketball game after that.... I wear any lace up boots I want.. Always wore lacrosse slip on rubber boots before the injury but wanted more support for the ankle.. hunting will be tough, but take it slow. I even remember hunted turkeys in my walking cast. It wasn't cold so that was a plus... Good luck.. Also remember, one season lost is better than many years of pain and suffering from abusing and not following doctor orders... Been there, done that... suffer every morning I wake up... take care..

02-Sep-14
A few years ago I completely ruptured mine at age 26 playing softball. This was in June and I was in a tree october 1st. that same year. I had an awesome surgeon (worked with the Philadelphia phillies) who was very proactive getting his patients on their feet. I've had no issues with any boots and have worn all types since surgery. No issues at all.

03-Sep-14
Sorry about your surgery it sucks!

I couldn't wear high up the ankle boots anymore as it seemed that crease in the back would be perfectly in line with my achilles and the pain was unreal.

Now I wear 6 inch high style boots and all is fine.

to this day if I do much ladder/ up-down I feel it the next day.....

I wish I would have tried that Charlie, reads like a great idea.

Good luck, Robb

03-Sep-14
I have heard that the partial tear can be more difficult to heal than the complete tear. Anyone else here go nonoperative healing on the Achilles' rupture?

04-Sep-14
Studies have shown there may or may not be a difference in the long-term difference between operative and non-operative, I would lean its dependent on individual. Go see a good orthopedist and they'll be able to tell you the best route, I'd recommend getting more than one opinion as some orthopedists are too surgery happy. Being a PT, I've had good success with both treatment options, either way you're looking at roughly 6 weeks (give or take 2 weeks depending on surgeon) of being locked in a boot.

On a side note for those having general Achilles/calf pain, get it checked out early before it turns into a rupture. I can fix a tendinitis/tendonopathy much easier than a full-blown rupture (I'm aware this is a no-sh*t shirlcock statement).

04-Sep-14
Also, I would probably get a stiffer boot in dorsi/plantar flexion (up and down of your foot), to take a little stress off of the power component of achilles. People generally tear their achilles due to a pushing off/power injury, very rarely is it because of over-stretching.

04-Sep-14
Getting a custom foot bed or and altered one where your heel is raised up will help. Shameless plug for Stephen Lathrop, he really helped me and my Achilles tear. His advise over the phone was better than that of my family doc.

Good luck with your recovery these kinds of injuries take time. I agree with the statements above though Ice and stretch every night.

• Sitka Gear