writer 19-Aug-14
Bowfreak 20-Aug-14
ExtremeZ7 24-Oct-14
ExtremeZ7 24-Oct-14
troymclellan 24-Oct-14
writer 24-Oct-14
scndwfstlhntng 25-Oct-14
12-Aug-14
OK, it looks like you guys have pushed me over the edge. Yes, I'd been standing with my toes hanging over the end, leaning forward for a few years, anyway.

I'm wanting to set-up a safari in 2015 or 2016 for two to five of us. Shooting waterholes or feed is great.

My question, though, who would you guys recommend for a good shot at a decent kudu. I'm not looking for a monster, I've just always wanted to shoot one.

Also, anybody know who some of the best African archery outfitters are who attend the DSC show? I'm planning on going next year.

I'm wanting a lot of input, and hope to talk with a lot of people. This is probably a once-in-a-life-time hunt for me. (I know, I know, but humor me, please. I am a journalist, which means we get paid about as much as teachers, but without any pension or benefits.) :-)

Thanks, I'm sure several of you will be of big help. I love helping other people spend their retirement, too. ;-)

12-Aug-14
50" should make SCI.

13-Aug-14
Dries Visser for me too. Specializes in bowhunting.

13-Aug-14
Writer, my friends and I booked with Bowsite sponsor, Limcroma for 2015. Heard nothing but good about Dries as well.

13-Aug-14
writer,

First of all....it won't be your last trip. As soon as you get there you will be trying to figure out how to get back. You are in for your first trip of a lifetime and it is something you will never forget.

There are many places you can kill a 50" Kudu. I saw quite a few of them when I hunted with Limcroma in 2012. I had no idea how big they were as they are really hard to judge but my PH told me they were. You can't go wrong with any of the outfitters you read about on Bowsite all the time. When I return I will research other places myself even though I was 100% happy with my trip to Limcroma. It is simply too much of an expense for a guy like me not to cross my I's and dot my T's. :)

13-Aug-14
Out of my three trips, the best I've seen for Kudu would be Limcroma. They are in the Limpopo Provence.

Hannes Ells, the owner will surely be at the DSC show this winter. Stop and visit with him.

13-Aug-14

Peyton in Fairbanks's embedded Photo
Peyton in Fairbanks's embedded Photo
Very well said Cub...

During my last two trips with Dries I passed up a bucket load of kudu because I shot a nice one a while back. If you go with the intent of shooting a nice kudu your PH will doing everything he can to put you in front of a nice one.

13-Aug-14

bowfrank's embedded Photo
bowfrank's embedded Photo
I just got back from Africa, there from July 15th to August 6th, it was the trip of a lifetime!:)

Shot my first Kudu, 54.5 inch curls, was extremely happy to take it, older bull, ribs showing, needed to retire. I hunted in South Africa, North of Polokwane with a group called Chattaronga Safaris. Johan and Philip Kruger own and run the place and it was awesome!! Go to the website and check it out. It is primarily set up for bow hunters and they work water holes from the hides (blinds) and we had shots from 15 to 40 yards. I shot Kudu, Livingston Eland, Nyala, Warthog, Impala & Sable. I could not have been happier! The PH's were very friendly and extremely good at what they do, all my animals SCI candidates and others, I am not listing though, just enjoy bow hunting, not all the other. You can also contact Bow hunting safaris, Neil Summers or go to his website, he set us up on this hunt and there were 3 of us, no regrets. I highly recommend that you hunt and then look for a pic safari and spend some days just watching and taking photos. Do that before and learn the animals and then go hunting, great overall experience. I could type for hours, but I won't bore you all.

13-Aug-14
Another vote for DVS. My main target animal was a Big Kudu. My PH Johan was great. He took me to various ranches looking for a good Kudu. Really enjoyed seeing all the different country. Got a 58.5 inch Bull. Also took 7 other animals.

13-Aug-14
I would recommend Numzaan Safaris. They are pricey, but they provided a great experience. I am going with an outfit called Paw Print Safaris later this year. They are a newer outfit with great prices and great reviews.

13-Aug-14

Clutch's MOBILE embedded Photo
Clutch's MOBILE embedded Photo

Dries V.

13-Aug-14

Chief 419's embedded Photo
Chief 419's embedded Photo
Writer, I hunted with Limcroma and took a 53" Kudu. Dries Visser is also well known. You'll have a hard time finding negative reviews on either one. Both are top notch operations.

14-Aug-14
Thanks, guys, I really do appreciate all of the feedback.

This is a really big deal for me, and a big decision.

Clutch, did the dog help retrieve your kudu?

14-Aug-14
writer, pm sent

14-Aug-14
Writer-- that's Dries's best friend (Jack Russel)-- no dog necessary on the Kudu but found my Red Hartebeest--400 yds

14-Aug-14
Barefoot,

Apologies, but my private messages are so private even I can't access them.

An e-mail to

[email protected] should work.

Cool, Clutch. Thanks.

I've gotten some of my best articles, through the decades, on the dogs of places I've hunted.

14-Aug-14

Baggr01's embedded Photo
Baggr01's embedded Photo
I hunted last summer with Harry Nels and African Arrow Safaris in the Limpopo area of RSA. Fantastic hunt and the best animals I've seen in six trips to Africa. I took a 59 1/2" kudu and a friend of mine took one in the mid 50's, I don't remember the exact measurements on his. I saw plenty of mid 50's kudu while there. Don't pay any attention to the date on the picture; I couldn't figure out how to turn it off for a while.

14-Aug-14
DVS, Limcroma, Thesepe and Melorani are among the best. I had hunted with some of them, and you canĀ“t go wrong All of them have great kudu and many other great trophies

14-Aug-14
Thanks, Richard.

Some of you guys have shot some absolutely stunning kudu over there.

Wow.

14-Aug-14

Toby's embedded Photo
Toby's embedded Photo

14-Aug-14

AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
Writer, Kudu are very plentiful in many areas of SA and Namibia. Anywhere in the Limpopo region has the potential for some real slammers. Getting something over 50 is a pretty reasonable expectation on most of the properties using good management and who are not over hunting their herds. You need to give yourself enough time when you go... No less than 10 days hunting on your first trip IMO, and 14 would be better. That way you will come to know the animals up close and increase your odds of getting into a larger bull. Your PH will be a great help to you when you decide. All of the above were great choices. Some other Archery based outfits would include Barefoot Safaris (Reon Van Todder), Choronga Safaris (Evan Sloan) Ken Moody Safaris and Angus Brown Safaris. Angus probably has the most experience of any PH focused on Bowhunting I have met. Also Zak Grobler is a really excellent PH in the Limpopo plus other countries. He is the one Tom Miranda and Jim (a good friend of mine), use every time they go.

14-Aug-14

Barty1970's embedded Photo
Barty1970's embedded Photo
Hunted with Ken Moody on his Dunsappie concession in north Northern province back in August'03....took a 51" bull and there were bigger still

14-Aug-14

TradbowBob's embedded Photo
TradbowBob's embedded Photo
I took this 54" Kudu hunting with Tshepe. I booked through Bowhunting Safari Consultants, they were great to work with.

TBB

14-Aug-14

MathewsMan's MOBILE embedded Photo
MathewsMan's MOBILE embedded Photo

Kudu was my main focus on our trip as well. But I was really open to taking the quality animals I encountered more than the list I pondered up before going.

14-Aug-14
Thanks, Matthews Man, but I'm just the opposite.

I'd rather take a nice, but not huge kudu, gemsbok warthog and impala (in that order) than a top 10 of some species I know nothing about.

Of course if I can take a very nice impala, stud-muffin warthog, excellent gemsbok and Moby Kudu, that'd be fine, too.

Looks like you sure had a productive trip! :-)

14-Aug-14
Writer, Your chances of taking the animals on your list during a 10 day hunt are very good. On my first trip to Africa, Waterbuck was an "optional" animal and not really on my "must have" list. When he stepped out, he was instantly upgraded. African animals are impressive and unique for a state side hunter.

My recommendation is to carefully consider the animals on your list, set a budget to work with and book your hunt. When you get to South Africa, throw all of the planning and budgeting out the window and let the arrows fly. Stack up your trophies and then worry about how you're going to pay for it all when you get home.

If you get all of your tanning done when your trophies arrive in the states, you can take your time mounting them and avoid breaking the bank again.

15-Aug-14
Thanks for a lengthy (that's a compliment) reply and ideas, Chief.

I plan on letting the shutters fly more than the arrows, which will be good.

Guys, I REALLY do appreciate all of the advice and attention to this thread. I've always been the one trying to help others get something planned. It's kind of nice to be on this end, for a change. :-)

15-Aug-14
I'm a bit like Chief 419.

I never thought much about Waterbuck until I saw one in the bush. There was no doubt in my mind that some of the other stuff I wanted could wait, if needed.

Beautiful, majestic critters.

I'm sending you a PM as well.

15-Aug-14
I had some tough to get animals in front of me I passed on. Dad really wanted a Blak Wildebeest and Nyala which he got. I had a huge Black Wildebeest, a 15" Bush Buck, and some 40" Gemsbok I passed on. I ended up shooting 8 animals and had planned on yring to get 4. 6 were gold medal class, the kudu and warthog were silver.

I doubt I would ever go back unless it were with one if my kids though. Just to many other things out there than adding onto the African list of stuff.

15-Aug-14

JAGER's embedded Photo
JAGER's embedded Photo
Choronga Safaris exceeded my expectations. Very happy with Evan and his crew.

15-Aug-14
Just don't fly South African Airline.

TBB

15-Aug-14
TBB,

We've flown SAA on two trips and have been happy with them.

Can't help but be a little curious about what you dis-liked.

We flew Egypt Air on the first trip from Amsterdam to J'burg. Now that's an experience I'll not repeat.

15-Aug-14

Jerry Russell's embedded Photo
My son and friends have used Englebrecht Safaris several times. He has tremendous kudu along with a bunch of other species. Many locations will provide you with a good opportunity at a 50" bull. The Englebrecht family will make you feel like you are coming home. Here are a couple of bulls we took in 2013. A 57" and a 52".

Best of luck on your hunt.

15-Aug-14

My son Luke's bull.

15-Aug-14
Direct flt from Atlanta to Jburg via Delta. Economy comfort aisle seat min. Business class is even better.

15-Aug-14
At least take a look at Melorani Safaris. I did two hunts with them and while I'd guess others are as good I doubt anyone is better.

15-Aug-14
Appreciate the pics and suggestions, very much.

16-Aug-14
BB,

Both my family and I came away with the feeling that the cabin crew was using our passage as an opportunity to get even for apartheid.

TBB

16-Aug-14
I suppose a bad apple is over there, buy my guess is it probably won't matter who you choose, if you do just a fair amount of research. There are literally dozens upon dozens of reputable outfitters over there, the landscape is dotted with camps. I was greatly satisfied with my outfitter and especially my PH's. However my next trip I'll most likely use another outfitter I had met state side. I've had long conversations with him and I wanted to use him initially, but logistics on my side prohibited that from happening. Having said that I wouldn't hesitate a second recommending the one I used, I sure they all have advantages and disadvantages. As far as trophies are concerned, the big Kudu bulls are abundant. Last September I saw numerous shooters along the highway as we traversed from concession to concession. It's still hunting, for me the Warthog was the more elusive target, then the Gemsbok/Oryx. FYI: I found packaged hunts worked well for our group, and we was given the option of upgrading to a more desired animal. A few hundred bucks can tailor a package more to ones liking. An example would be, I was able to upgrade from a Wildebeast to a Gemsbok and add a Zebra for about $1900.00. I don't know if its common procedure but my outfitter would allow us to add animals as we wished only on the promise and a handshake that we would forward the cash over once we got home. He told of one hunter who left his camp owning him $22,000.00, and yes the hunter was good for it. I understand the process much better now, and know more about how to prepare. So I can't wait till my next trip. I'm already looking to it, I have a couple animals to fill out my preferred list.

17-Aug-14
Thanks Danny,

Would you please e-mail the two outfitters you're speaking of.

[email protected]

17-Aug-14
You bet Writer their in a PM headed your way

17-Aug-14
Cub, I share in your observations regarding SAA being puzzling. For the most part the crew does their job efficiently, however the strange attitudes were unexpected. I remember being in their business class (no first class) and being served breakfast after many hours on the plane. What was served looked like a very tiny cupcake which was suppose to be some sort of egg souffle thingy which was not really that good or filling to begin with. Being quiet hungry and being in the upgraded section, I asked the flight attendant for the possibility of a second one and he started going off on me a bit. He seemed perturbed that I even asked for more and I was stunned to say the least. However, He found me another morsel. Overall, I observed a lack of training when it came to their Customer service. That lack has become even apparent since all their operations were shifted to newer management by government folks who did not know what they had not how to run an airline. Moral had dropped and I think that is what I was observing more than anything. Hopefully, things are improving but I fly to SA via Delta now.

17-Aug-14
We hunted with Daretobowhunt. Lammie has some great kudu and awesome Nyala! As well as just about anything else you might want to shoot.

18-Aug-14
" Of course if I can take a very nice impala, stud-muffin warthog, excellent gemsbok and Moby Kudu, that'd be fine, too. "

I agree Writer..they are 'signature' species for any hunt in Africa

As to flights, my understanding is that any flight via Amsterdam 'was' bad news for their customs confiscating broadheads etc? Anyone got up to date lowdown?

18-Aug-14
One thing I have noticed over the years. Almost everyone who goes to Africa thinks they went with the best. Similar to bow buyers, everyone thinks they purchased the best. What that says is that it is a mature industry and the outcome is near certain to be a positive.

Great tip on customizing you trip. Most will accommodate you without issue.

18-Aug-14
Aftermerl.

Please note I don't bet PMs, can you kindly send the information to

[email protected]

Bests

18-Aug-14

michaelw's embedded Photo
I know there are several quality outfitters in Africa. I personally have used Dries Visser on two trips and been very well pleased both times.

1st trip Kudu

18-Aug-14

2nd Trip Dries Visser Kudu

18-Aug-14
Checking the Dries Visser website, they break down the trophy fee for kudu by size, including something like "price provided upon request."

What's the deal, if you want a super-sized kudu they go buy one and release it in a pen for you to shoot?

I don't really want to go on a hunt where I'm trying to decide if a kudu is an inch this way or that way so I can afford it, or waiting for one that's just been released to show up for my shot.

19-Aug-14
I am also turned off of places that charge by size of animals. That is part of the reason I chose Paw Print.

Another place to consider that seems to have excellent bowhunting and excellent reviews on other forums is Kanana Safaris in Botswana. They have great rates. Their US booking agent is Hunting for Adventure, the packages are listed on that website.

19-Aug-14
A premium for larger size does not necessarily mean "pen raised". Heck, some moose outfitters even upcharge if the moose scores x number of inches or make B&C.

Some outfitters do not necessarily own all of the hunting grounds they use either and are upcharged by the landowners if the kudu is x number of inches. They in turn have to pass that on.

I suppose if a client specifically requested or mandated they shoot a 65" or whatever size kudu...then maybe that would be a different story.

Just keep in mind, a premium for size does not always mean the animal was trucked in for you.

Good luck on your hunt and share some pictures with us.

19-Aug-14
It wasn't that way where we went. My 2 sons and there grandpa all shot 50"ers while mine measured out at a whopping 56" all for the same price. Writer, Did you get my email?

19-Aug-14
Don't think so, After.

19-Aug-14
Writer, sent you a PM

19-Aug-14
Sorry, Roger,

Don't get PMs

[email protected]

or

[email protected]

Thanks

20-Aug-14
I agree with you writer. I am not interested in hunting anywhere if the price fluctuates with size.

I have only been to Africa once but I learned one thing that I think is pertinent. When you are setting at home budgeting for your trophy fees, add 50%. Even if you have to put your trip off for a later time you will be glad you did. There are at least 2 different species I hadn't planned on shooting that I WISH I had money for when they came in. One was a huge Livingston Eland that one guy had hunted for a full week trying to kill. He walked right in on me and I just watched.

24-Oct-14

24-Oct-14
Hunted with Ken Moody

24-Oct-14
The additional cost per inch is usually the land owners descision not the outfitter, depending on the set-up. ie outfitter may also own or have interest in the property. I hunted with Paw Print Safaris last month and Pieter charges no extra for larger Kudu although some of the landowners charge him more for the larger animals he absorbs that cost. These are not put and take animals, so it is the luck of the draw if the larger one comes your way. Any kudu over 50" is a good one IMO. If you are considering hunting Africa go for it, you will love it and want to go back before you leave the place. Do your research and check out a few outfitters to see what and where you want to hunt. Also check out some of the African hunting websites, a great source of information and experienced people that will put you on the right track.

24-Oct-14
Thanks, Randy.

Please e-mail me at [email protected] so I can ask some questions.

25-Oct-14

scndwfstlhntng's embedded Photo
scndwfstlhntng's embedded Photo
One of two at Makalaan Namibia.. after many years of waiting. Now he hangs right over my desk and I can see him every night

• Sitka Gear