r-man 09-Jul-16
Cheesehead Mike 11-Jul-16
SilentAssassin 21-Jul-16
Tracker 21-Jul-16
tacklebox 21-Jul-16
tacklebox 21-Jul-16
tacklebox 21-Jul-16
17-Aug-14
What kind of broad head target do you guys shoot at? How much penetration do you get into your target?

17-Aug-14

Russell's Link
Currently shooting a Range King. It's big, 28 x 28 x 20". Wanted a large target for long distance BH shooting.

Took some breaking-in, but nice now.

Arrows haven't penetrated completely yet.

There's an interesting video on the website demonstrating the quality of their broadhead targets.

17-Aug-14
I just got a rhinoblock and really liking it. With slick tricks I get about 6-8 inches penetration.

17-Aug-14
I just got a rhinoblock and really liking it. With German Kinetics and I get about 6-8 inches penetration.

19-Aug-14
My buddy just bought a medium size Cabelas brand target and our arrows come out the other side about 6 inches with BH or FP's. We both shoot bows under 275 fps so if you shoot a real fast bow be careful with this target.

19-Aug-14

Zebrakiller's embedded Photo
Zebrakiller's embedded Photo

19-Aug-14
armed-hiker, as I was reading down through this, I was thinking of my Cabela's target. Probably less than 100 broadheads into it and am now going in up to the fletch. Guess I got what I paid for!

20-Aug-14
X3 on the Cabelas target. I have as much arrow sticking out of the exit side as I do the entrance!

20-Aug-14
Rhino block the best I've used and replaceable core. Bought mine discounted for $100 because of blemishes on the graphics.

20-Aug-14

Bogey's embedded Photo
Bogey's embedded Photo
Cool thread.

I've always had problems with my arrows passing through too far on foam targets (de-flecthing my arrows).

But I had concerns with the block-style targets and being able to get my broadheads back out without taking out chunks of the target.

So for broadheads, I resorted to the old throwback:

Cardboard box, packed loosely with some old jeans, blankets and some random foam. (they key is loosely packed). The premis behind this is that the stuff inside moves with the arrowhead and slows it down.

I took about 20 shots this weekend to confirm my new broadheads are hitting right. I switched up to the toxonic heads (6 curved blades). They make a great hole, made contact with the first pair of jeans that were balled up inside and didn't pass through into the blankets, other pairs of jeans or foam. While that may seem "scary" that a broadhead doesn't blow right through the box and all of it's contents it is what I've seen happen with most other heads.

As an example, my field tips made it through the first pair of jeans and stopped at the next layer (a balled up blanket).

In the photo, these 2 arrows were shot with field tips only. The one went in almost the exact hole as the previous broadhead shot. That's likely why the field point traveled a bit further.

At the end of all of this, I folded up the old blankets and I kept the old jeans (who knows, I may fit into them again someday - and holes will be popular).

20-Aug-14

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Here's mine...

20-Aug-14
I like that one Mike. The 2×6's and the allthread are obvious but what is the center made of??

20-Aug-14
Bogey, that hole is crazy looking

20-Aug-14
That looks like a TOXIC hole! ;-)

20-Aug-14
I have been shooting a Hips Archery Target Herd Bull for about 3 years. Ive shot the middle out slightly but it still stops my 400 gr. arrows at 280fps well before the vanes.

20-Aug-14

LUNG$HOT,

It's just pink styrofoam insulation and the top and bottom boards are 2x12's

20-Aug-14

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
This is what I use. Got a great price on it last year. Stops like nothing I have used before! Can use it with crossbows, so that should tell you something. ;-)

20-Aug-14
Rut Nut, that's what I shoot and at 50 yards they go thru it most of the time. and it's almost new

20-Aug-14
yes the yellow jacket is junk IMO... i went through one in a few months..

rhinoblock has been best ive tried...

i used cheeshead mikes version but they stained all my arrows pink color..

20-Aug-14

Russell 's embedded Photo
Russell 's embedded Photo
Here's the Range King. Doing good.

20-Aug-14
You guys shooting the mini Yellow Jacket or the full size?

21-Aug-14
I just bought the tiny rhino throw target to take to camp with me. One arrow as I leave to make sure everything is still on as I leave each day.

21-Aug-14
Rhinehart. Expensive but they hold up well, at least for me. I tried to buy a "blob" target, but couldn't get it shipped to me.

21-Aug-14
Full sized Yellow Jacket

21-Aug-14
OK- guess I just haven't shot it enough. I usually only shoot broadheads to make sure I'm dialed in. Then shoot field points mostly in practice.

Was really happy how well it stopped arrows. But evidently that declines with age/more shots.

21-Aug-14
My buddy has that Yellow Jacket broad head target and he's been happy with it, but then I don't know how often he shoots BH at it.

I've been using closed cell polyethylene foam planks that I ratchet strap together. Its pretty big too and has been holding up well. I'll switch over to BH in another week or two and I'll shoot 4-5 days a week until the season starts in Oct.

21-Aug-14
Cheesehead mike- how does your target hold up to bh's? I imagine even if it wears out quickly it would pretty cost effective to replace the worn out slabs of insulation.

21-Aug-14
LUNG$HOT,

I'm on my 3rd year with it and I've shot it quite a bit. It's getting worn out now with some styro getting blown out on the backside in the center. But as you said, it is easy to take it apart and replace the worn out slabs or even just re-shuffle the slabs to move the top and bottom slabs toward the center.

I got tired of spending $50-$100 every year on a broadhead target that wasn't very big and having it last only 1 year. I also tend to develop some target-panic when I try to fine tune broadhead flight on a small broadhead target at 60 yards. This huge target has really helped me beat my target panic I think because I'm more relaxed shooting at a big target.

As Pyrannah said, the pink insulation will leave a thin pink residue on carbon arrows. I shoot mainly FMJ's and the residue does not stick to the aluminum. The residue scrapes off of the carbon arrows easily enough.

I've been told that the cheap white bead-board insulation works just as well and doesn't leave a residue on arrows. I have a hard time believing that it is as durable. I'm ready to replace some of the slabs in my target so I'll probably replace them with white styro and see how it holds up.

Overall I'm very happy with this target and can't imagine ever buying another expensive commercially made broadhead target.

21-Aug-14
cheesehead, thats a good point, considering the cost difference, its not that bad to have the pink residue on the arrow... I've heard some people have put a little oil or something on the arrows also to help avoid that? haven't tried that scenario though...

21-Aug-14
$25 truckload of sand...going on 5 years and yet to wear it out.

21-Aug-14
South easy to pull out no BH lost in block, arrow is strait in target best ever for shooting BH.

21-Aug-14
Rinehart Rhino Block. The replaceable core is a nice feature.

21-Aug-14
Thanks Mike, building one of these is definitely on my list. Great idea. Not too worried about the pink residue,I'm sure it will wipe right off of my carbon express maxima reds as they have a real smooth finish. Good trade off for a cost effective BH target

21-Aug-14
The sand thing also sounds like a good idea (minus the huge pile of sand in my backyard) ;)

05-Jul-16

LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
Finally got around to making cheesehead Mikes broadhead target. Came out good I think. Just fyi for anyone wanting to make one, spray paint melts the foam! ;) oops.

05-Jul-16
Sand rips up carbon arrows after shooting them a bunch.

I've tried several of the commercial ones and I think Rhinhart hold up to BHs the best.

I shot my old Morel's 6-shooter thousands of times with field points and want another, but I don't think they make them anymore.

05-Jul-16
The cheesehead target will be the best broadhead (and field target) for your money. Do not paint it with spray paint as it does melt the target.face. Also be prepared to buy a couple cans of spray insulation foam to fill in the holes. Woodys arrow lube will keep the target from melting to your carbon arrows. For its size, lightweight and transportable. Will hold arrows from point blank range without shootthroughs as long as you rotate the foam or spray replacement foam in as needed. High enough that you will feel comfortable shooting long range (we shoot it all the way out to 80 yards). Overall-- excellent target.

05-Jul-16
Glad you guys are all liking the target, I've been using mine for a few years now and I'm still happy with it.

05-Jul-16

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
I copied mikes design as well. Just made a modification though. Helping a new archer gauge how big an elk is.

05-Jul-16

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
I copied mikes design as well. Just made a modification though. Helping a new archer gauge how big an elk is.

05-Jul-16

Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Another copycat. I used what I had around the garage. Instead of 2x12's and readi rod, I used 2x4's, lag bolts and ratchet straps. Good target and extremely lightwoeght. I am thinking about making a smaller travel version to throw into pickup while at camp.

06-Jul-16

Z,

I had a similar idea with the ratchet straps but instead of running them the long way around like you did I was thinking about running them around the short way where I drew the black lines on my target.

That way I could do away with the threaded rods and shoot at the ends of the target too.

I'm also planning to make a smaller travel version. I was thinking I would compress it somehow and then wrap it with duct tape or Gorilla tape to keep it compressed and save weight.

06-Jul-16
I really like the Blob targets. Great price for a big solid target. I got 4 years out of mine. $120 for a 20x20x12 target is hard to beat. Sand piles are hard to take to a place to shoot as well when you can't shoot on your property.

06-Jul-16
15 years ago I bought a BH/FP target at Wal-Mart. I am still shooting it today. I have shot that thing out a dozen times.

I just fill it with expandable spray foam. Duct tape a pizza box to the face and I have a new target.

06-Jul-16
YZF: Holy 3rd Batman!!! That left side is awesome! I couldn't focus on the way you constructed your target because of that left 3rd. Sweet euro.... congrats on a very cool and unique bull! Pete

06-Jul-16
YZF,

Nice mods...likes it!

Mark

06-Jul-16
Yes, I like YZF's mods too but his backstop doesn't look very forgiving! LOL!

06-Jul-16
I just got a Blackhole from Dicks sporting goods, for 16$ 18" squar, thin layered sheets of foam , from recurve they have no chance of going through, if I were uing a compound I would use two back to back or place a phone book behind it. Or of course there is wet sand it worked for me for yrs

07-Jul-16

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
I can confirm the backstop is an arrow eater. Building this target is a direct result of a few "incidents".

I made some arrow friendly target holders for the foam as well. I just 3D print them as needed.

08-Jul-16
Those are cool!

I use the nails with the plastic washers designed for holding Styrofoam but I hit the nail once in a while.

09-Jul-16
Cheesehead Mike, What are the dimensions of the individual pieces of foam on your target and how many full sheets of styrofoam insulation did you use? What is the thickness of sheets of styrofoam ?

09-Jul-16
I built mine to Mike's specs. I used the 2'' blue foam & it works good at longer yardages, but it is a BITCH to pull arrows shot at less than 40 yards! I'm not sure if it is a denser foam, but I would not recommend using the blue.

09-Jul-16
Old Rob

Here is what I did. 32" length. 16" deep. 2 sheets. Zero waste. That will give you a target 32" wide and 36" tall with 16" depth.

2" inch 250 density foam.

09-Jul-16
DICKS CHANGED PRICE OF BLACKHOLE TO 39$ I went back for 2 more for back ups.

11-Jul-16

Z has the dimensions.

Here's the pattern for cutting 9 pieces out of a 4x8 sheet of foam.

21-Jul-16
I use Hips Archery Target, the grizzly one, Love em! I have been using it for the past 3 years now. Portable, shoot all sides, can use FP, fixed or mech BH and crossbow bolts.

21-Jul-16
I need a 3D printer those things are awesome.

21-Jul-16
I built one of these last week, we had a few sheets of the blue foam at work that was being thrown away so I grabbed it up. Think I have right at about $20 in it. It is a true beatch to pull arrows from without lube. With lube not terrible but I went ahead and built a new bag target to hang in front so I can shoot that for FP and the drop it to shoot BH. Threw a lil roof on to complete things. Should last quite awhile

21-Jul-16

tacklebox's embedded Photo

21-Jul-16

With the bag in front

• Sitka Gear