willliamtell 20-Aug-14
jims 20-Aug-14
Starvingoutdoor 26-Aug-14
Leadspreader 26-Aug-14
Surfbow 26-Aug-14
Elkaddict 29-Aug-14
Dan Mallia 03-Sep-14
19-Aug-14
I am looking into new clothes for hunting season, camo is not really important to me, people have killed deer and elk in jeans and flannels for generations, although I do love the Sitka patterns. Anyways I know Sitka sponsors this phenomenal website and don't want to stir up any bad blood on here or anything but I am just looking for good honest thoughts on their products,Specifically the mountain pants, the ascent jacket, the traverse hoody and the ascent 110 pack. I am 18 years old and extremely tough on my gear, and I need something that's durable. I have read some great reviews and some poor reviews but I want some opinions from you guys before I drop a lot of money on there stuff. Not trying to say that in a bad way but I've always hunted in 15 dollar pants and shirts and Carhartt jackets. Thanks a bunch in advance.

19-Aug-14
I've given my Downpour jacket and pants, and my merino longsleeve zip t, serious hammer the past year and a half, almost on a daily basis and cant fault the quality

Keep an eye on www.camofire.com for bargains

19-Aug-14
I've had Sitka stuff grom the second year it came out. I've not had any durability issue. I hunted/scouted sheep in CO for well over a month straght in the original Mountain pants and you could not tell they were not new. The new Mountain pants are much better imo. I've not used the small packs, but the rest of the pieces mentioned you are good to go. Grab a set of merino base layers if you can.

19-Aug-14
IMO Ascent Jacket is least-necessary place to spend $ on Sitka. It's designed only for warm weather and is more of a replacement for a "field shirt" than a true jacket. Would jump to 90% Jacket if you want a jacket.

Traverse fabric is softest, quietest fabric in the Sitka line. I'm not a fan of hoodies, but the shirt is very versatile. Although I think the Hoodie is somewhat of a crossover for a jacket so again, may not need both a hoodie & jacket.

Mountain pants are the bomb.

Ascent pack too darn small for anything I'd ever use it for. Ascent 14 handy for really small scouting-type loads, but the Flash series is not much more weight but has a frame and can carry some volume.

Can't go wrong with Sitka, though. Been using it since 2007 and have several pieces that are still going strong!

19-Aug-14
The mountain pants are great. The rest of the stuff you listed I could take it or leave it, very impartial. There's great stuff in the line and not so great stuff. Don't be afraid to look at the offerings from Kuiu, First Lite, and even the Core 4 gear is outstanding. Find the gear you like and buy it. It's all top notch quality and will last you a long time.

19-Aug-14
Core 4 = badass!!!

19-Aug-14
I love my mtn pants, traverse shirt, Jetstream vest and cloudburst jacket. I've had them three or four years now and hardly show any sign of wear. That being said I just got a pair of FirstLite Kanab pants that took about 25 seconds to fall in love with.

19-Aug-14
The 2 pieces I do not go to on a caribou / bear hunt etc. without are my Mountain Pants and jetstream jacket. Oh, make that 3 things, my downpour raingear also. Mountain pants are "The Bomb"

19-Aug-14
I wear a lot of Sitka. They are nice for layering. Their rain jacket w/pitzips and pants are pretty hard to beat for the price. I've used and abused the 90's and Ascents for years. If it gets cold or wet I wear rain outers and/or a thinsulate vest. I often wear a base layer camo shirt when it's not too cold.

Another option that is cheaper than Sitka that I've had extraordinary luck with is Cabelas micro-tex. They have a heavier and lighter weight version. I use the heavier version shirts and it wears like iron and dry super fast. I returned the pants. The additional fabric plus putting gear in the cargo pocket was not thought out very well. Every time I would lift my leg I would have to lift what ever was in the pocket...plus thicker material over the top of my thigh. I'm not sure if they've fixed this? If so, the pants would be really nice....although it's hard to beat the stretchy, fairly light material in Sitkas pants.

19-Aug-14
If you do some searches you ought to come up with lots of info. Here's one on MM: http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID25/1660.html#5

What I often do is look at reviews for items before I buy.

19-Aug-14
I bought Mountain pants because of reviews here. If I said I've been dissapointed I would be lying.

19-Aug-14
Sitka is great gear, as are the other top clothing makers-Kuiu, Core 4 Element, First Lite, etc. I think you can do better than the Sitka packs though if you're looking for versatility. I ust picked up a Kuiu Ultra 3000 and can't wait to get it in the mountains, but I also looked into the Mystery Ranch packs.

19-Aug-14
I got a new 90% jacket and it sure seems a lot different from my "older" 90%, a lot lighter and they don't the Velcro around the wrists. Anyone have experience with the "newer" jackets and like them?

19-Aug-14
I was all set to order KUIU a couple weeks ago,but found out it probably wouldn't be here in time for archery season. So,after much research, decided to go with Core-4. Ordered the Switchback pants,Assault shirt and merino 1/4 zip. Should be set for bow season,and it will be here tomorrow. From what I've found, the quality is there and the prices are very reasonable. Hope this helps you.

20-Aug-14
Thanks a bunch folks! I decided to go with the 90% Jacket and the Mountain Pants for now, the price tag had me on edge a bit and they had to pry my hands open to get the cash but after I wore them around and I can't wait to get them into the mountains and expand my Sitka collection a bit! Love the pocket placement on both of them, the only thing I'm not sure on is the knee pads in the pants but at least they are removable if I chose to go without, I'll definitely give the pants a good torture test this weekend during my scouting trip, wish it was colder to test out the jacket! Thanks again everyone!

20-Aug-14
I would try to get a shirt also. Most likely wont want to wear the 90% around the entire time. That being said, enjoy the gear. Its awesome. Im still building my perfect system after a couple years and its one of the best investments I have ever made when it comes to my hunting.

20-Aug-14
I do have one of there older base layers as well, I wear it all season, It just recently started unthreading at the bottom but it doesn't bother me to much!

20-Aug-14
Interesting how Sitka seems sized for just a base layer then jacket. I bought the 90% and like it, but a base layer and shirt seem a little tight. I don't know how you'd squeeze a decent loft down vest under the jacket unless you ordered the jacket a size up.

20-Aug-14
I buy 1 size larger for just about all my clothes so that I can layer.

26-Aug-14
I can fit layers under my Jetstream sized as I normally would perfectly fine and I have never really noticed it being overly tight. I have heard others mention buying larger sizes also though. My 90% jacket seems sized a little tighter than my Jetstream. I assume that would be that the 90% IMO is more for being light and fast than sitting up on the mountain glassing in 30+ MPH.

26-Aug-14
The 90% is deffinatley slimmed down but not tight or constricting, I like it as I move fast pace and it is incredibly light weight, I put about 10 miles on my boots yesterday chasing antelope and it preformed better than expected, kept me dry and warm with this coldsnap that just hit Montana, also very comfortable to wear.

26-Aug-14
It's supposed to fit slim, and the material stretches with you, not like old baggy cotton stuff...

29-Aug-14
Yes Sitka is expensive right out of the gate. That said, you do pay for what you get in this instance. How many of those $15 pants have you bought over the years? I am extremely tough on my gear, but my Sitka holds up better than anything I have ever had....it's not even a comparison to the stuff Cabelas sells, much less Wally World. Merino top and bottom. Mountain Pants for Western hunting. Traverse top, then a 90% Jacket and the Jetstream Vest. A merino Beanie, and a ball cap in my pocket. A couple pairs of gloves and I am set. Once you use it you won't go back.

03-Sep-14
Good choice on the 90% jacket and Mountain pants. I spent two weeks mule deer hunting in NE California last year in varying temps from hot to cold to warm in those two items last year, along with a traverse and core shirt. The gear performed tremendously.

• Sitka Gear