CO Unit 19 Road Closures
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
CWOotr 20-Aug-14
scrapwood 20-Aug-14
Jaquomo 20-Aug-14
CWOotr 23-Aug-14
20-Aug-14
Bowsiters, As many of you know, much of unit 19 has been closed the past few years because of beetle kill tree removal along Long Draw Rd in the western part of the unit; the 2012 High park Fire in the eastern part of the unit; and the 2013 flood throughout the unit. I have just spoken with the FS District Ranger and he informed me that Long Draw Road will be open in time for the archery season. He also told me that the Old Flowers Rd in the eastern and central part of the unit that was damaged by fire erosion and flood damage has been repaired and will be open. This is likely to be good news for many of you that used to hunt these areas!

Now for some bad news. The District Ranger also said that Crown Point Road will be closed from the Browns Lake Trailhead (about mile marker 12) to the end of the road starting September 2nd due to construction of fish-friendly bridges that are to be built where the East and West Forks of Sheep Creek cross the road. If any of you are planning on hunting further up the road for opening weekend, make sure you completely remove your camp and vehicles on September 1st or they will be trapped - perhaps until next summer. In addition, he also said that Crown Point Road is also scheduled to be COMPLETELY closed from top to bottom for beetle kill tree removal yet this year or next year or maybe part of both years. They are not sure of the exact schedule for this tree removal yet. It might be pushed off until next year but it could start this year.

Please help spread the word of these openings/closings to elk, deer, and moose hunters for unit 19. Let me know if you have any questions. I will try to help. All the best, Scott Limmer Comanche Wilderness Outfitters, Inc.

20-Aug-14
Thanks for taking the time to share this information Scott!

When I drove by Long Draw Sunday afternoon, it was still closed. Just FYI, sharing what I saw.

20-Aug-14
Thanks, Scott.

Adding: due to the flooding last fall and this spring, many roads in Roosevelt that were previously navigable with 4wd are now a mess, suitable for atv only. A couple atv trails I was on scared the willies out of me, and I'm good on one. A number of other roads are being closed an bermed or gated by the USFS.

Long Draw is supposed to be open the 22nd, with camping limited to the two developed campgrounds. I was in there before it closed, and it sure looks different with all the logging!

23-Aug-14
Yes, Long Draw is scheduled to be open today. The company is moving equipment to Crown point Rd. Some of it showed up yesterday.

• Sitka Gear