nutritionist 01-Sep-14
stick n string 01-Sep-14
nutritionist 01-Sep-14
nutritionist 02-Sep-14
cityhunter 02-Sep-14
27-Aug-14

nutritionist's DeerBuilder embedded Photo

Here is my report on one of my brassica trials. I attached a pic of my son peeking over top my 4 foot tall brassicas. They were planted last few days in May. They also have been clipped twice down to 8-12" of growth. I also have put plant foods on them twice. I also had one pass of 9-0-28-6 dry fertilizer about 2 weeks ago.

The deer have been eating them off and on since the end of June. They should end up around 5 foot tall like last year. Palatability?? The clipping of the brassicas has this explosive growth, fresh, high quality and not bitter.

I also have numerous other brassicas in the ground that were planted that i'll address observations in one more week. That trial is on compacted soil thats low pH, and formerly a woods that was bowdozed down. The goal on that trial was to give people feed back on worse case scenarios, and planting brassicas on extremely challenged soils.

27-Aug-14
What type of Brassica is it? Looks Great!!

27-Aug-14
What you see mainly before you is the one product that should be in everyone's food plot arsenal. Winfred brassica. It is a kale/turnip cross that stays green down to 10 degrees. It grows on any soil type. I plant it from May through September. It's around $25 an acre and deer will consume it earlier than most brassicas.

The winfred was in an experimental mix that i call spring greens. The spring triticale in it, i killed off a couple weeks ago. There was also swiss chard in that mix but the deer loveeeeee swiss chard and destroyed it. The chard doesnt grow back well but the winfred brassica will keep growing, regrowing and exploding. As i stated this is the third growth of it and it's now up to 4' tall.

I also have a 4 brassica mix that i'll have good pics this weekend of. The mix includes premier kale, radish, pasja brassica and winfred brassica. The deer keep eating it and it's going to make me very happy come late bow season and gun season.

I also have numerous accounts/farmers planting it this fall after they take off their corn silage or after winter wheat as a cover crop. Winfred really helps cows milk as well....

I love it...and have posted numerous times about it.

If one asks me what 3 products they should plant to have success, no matter where one plants it..

winfred brassica berseem clover daikon radish

27-Aug-14
Do you have a recommendation for a blend of the three?

28-Aug-14

Bushbow's embedded Photo
Bushbow's embedded Photo
I have 3 plots going and this is my first attempt(s)

Hard to tell from the angle but these turnips are 3+' tall with HUGE leaves and I was sitting in a tower observation stand last night from which this photo was snapped and watched the deer pull leaves off and munch them down. I was/am surprised both at how well these turned out and how much the deer love them for just a mow/till and hand casting of some seed. It has been a good experiment and will be repeated for sure.

28-Aug-14
That is pretty Awesome brassica. I am interested in trying some. Have some brassica in the ground now and am planning on hitting it with some urea.

28-Aug-14
Nutritionist:

Is it too late to plant the brassica now in mid Missouri? We just received moisture and more on the way. First hard freeze generally in late Oct to early Nov. I have a plot I was going to disc and spread cereal grain. This may be an addition.

Thanks,

28-Aug-14
Never mind, I see the answer now in your second post.

I am very impressed.

28-Aug-14
Impressive...

28-Aug-14
I planted brascica last year and deer never touched them. Tried them one other time with the same results.

Not a large deer population here in Massachusetts.

Your Winfred looks good!

28-Aug-14
Awesome!

28-Aug-14
it looks like giant collards

28-Aug-14
Where can I buy the Winfred from?

28-Aug-14
nice !!

29-Aug-14
Wow! Looks like a deer could walk into those Winfreds and use it as a bedding area too!

29-Aug-14
Yeah, being so big wonder if the deer would actually eat them when they seem to prefer small younger shoots...

29-Aug-14

stick n string's embedded Photo
stick n string's embedded Photo
That is awesome!! Definitely gonna be plenty of food for the deer if u have another hard winter. This a part of our plot planted with a clover and chicory mix along with a brassica mix including winfred as a cover crop. It was planted 4 weeks ago tomorrow.def gonna have to put some in next spring and see how it does.

29-Aug-14
I know not much about this stuff. A deer will eat a whole mature leaf as in your picture?

29-Aug-14
Ron - My food plots I have been dabbling in this fall for the first time are full of giant turnips. Not quite as big as those nutritionist has going but rather close with leaves that are 6-8" across and I watched deer come in and pick the leaves and munch them down last night. One right after the other. So, yes, they seem to like them pretty well considering there is about every ag crop available within a 1/4 mile right now. Should be fun seeing how this helps our little piece of paradise as the crops come off and the frost hits.

The also eat the parts of the turnips that are above ground like apples.

01-Sep-14
I can get deer to eat anything fairly well using the plant foods product i invented. Healthy plants are higher in sugars, proteins, minerals and are more palatable.

Why they will eat those big leaves is.....it's 3rd crop. The brassica isn't OLD nor is it BITTER. Any mixes i put winfed in, the deer pic it out over other species.

When i do seminars or if i'm sitting in the office and testing the customer service staff, i always say...If someone said i could only plant 3 things in my food plots, what would they be?

My answer would be berseem clover, radish and winfred brassica.

I spend most of my time planting brassicas, experimenting with brassicas, trying to find better varieties of brassicas and i know how to grow big ol brassica..

You need the right pH. You need to pull soil tests and fertilize for the test. You need to add sulfur. You need to add plant foods and also insecticides or fungicides if past threshold levels.

01-Sep-14
At what stage do u hit ur brassicas with the foliar feed, john? And at what height do u clip?

01-Sep-14
At least once a month. I prefer around 3 weeks of growth and then about 4 weeks later as thats about 2 weeks before maturity of many brassicas.

But i also use foliar during burn down. It helps with chemical kill, conditions the soil and helps increase seed germination, and early growth.

I have some clients that 7 days after every hay crop apply the foliar. I'd recommend putting foliar on anytime one applies herbicides to one's food plots.

For $5 an acre, it's the best money anyone can ever spend. I also can prove that applying foliar jacks up protein, energy and sugars on forages. When one calculates the cost to benefit, your looking at 30-1 return on your dollar. Plus i'm always trying to grow big and healthy animals so....it's not just a plant food but a nutrition aid.

I clipped at maturity, just like one should with clovers. In the spring greens mix, the winfred was mature around 60 days and about 3" tall. I clipped down to 8",12" and 18" heights to see if i could tell a difference. They all filled in nicely. I still recommend only taking off 1/2 of any forage growth when clipping.

02-Sep-14

Pat, here is a pic of my brassica's last fall during late bow season. The deer destroyed it right at first snow fall. I have numerous options for the deer to eat and there is plenty of corn, soybeans and forage. So, everything goes in cycles during the year. After they hammered the brassicas, they moved on to the rutabaga, then onto the forage radish.

Winfred brassica stays green down to 10 degrees and stands up well, due to the type of stalk it has. The shorter growing hunter, rangi, rangolia, pacer and pasja won't grow as tall and will go down, due to their structure.

I loveeeee kale and kale crosses as a nutritionist.

02-Sep-14
looks to me they R on DBALL!!!!!!

• Sitka Gear