Contributors to this thread:
dagga boy 30-Aug-14
Huntcell 30-Aug-14
Topgun 30-06 30-Aug-14
stealthycat 01-Sep-14
writer 02-Sep-14
TD 03-Sep-14
30-Aug-14
I was talking to an old timer last night about antelope and he informed me that if you tie a rag to a wire fence the antelope will come in to investigate. Now I'm naturally a skeptic, and my gut says it's BS, but I guess anything is possible. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this, or if it's complete nonsense?

30-Aug-14
Called flagging

Lay on the ground raise your arm up and wave cloth back and forth

Was done in old days don't hear of much these days

Like most techniques works for some but not others

30-Aug-14
That's an old way to try and get them in for a shot because they are inquisitive. Nowadays guys are getting full size decoys that look like a small buck and hiding behind them. In the rut a good buck will charge in to run the intruder off many times and will offer a shot when done properly and with a little luck.

01-Sep-14
you could whistle into a shell casing 40 years ago and call in elk too

some things just don't work well anymore

02-Sep-14
I know rifle hunters have used it to get a buck within easy gun range in recent years, don't know about archery.

Several years ago a 75" buck saw us crawling through the sage and came busting over to about 40 yards on a dead run.

Several historical books I've read have talked about flagging feeding the pioneers.

03-Sep-14
That was my understanding... rifle guys could get one in range at times by flagging....

And apparently as with aggressive bulls and "just make any noise that might resemble an elk".... the stupid gene may have been culled out.....

• Sitka Gear