DonVathome 03-Sep-14
BoonROTO 03-Sep-14
BULELK1 03-Sep-14
bentstick 03-Sep-14
bulldreamer 03-Sep-14
Zbone 10-Sep-14
bow shot 10-Sep-14
31-Aug-14
I live in North Royalton and just read something disturbing in the local paper. The mayor of North Royalton (along with city council and several other nearby cities) is pushing the ODNR to control the deer problem in their cities.

These cities all do not allow hunting or discharging of firearms.

They want the state to pay for oral contraceptives for deer. They want the state to pay for it by raising the cost of hunting licenses!

Basically the state (ODNR) controls deer very well - by hunting. These local cities pass ordinances banning hunting then complain the the state is not managing their deer?

The shear stupidity of this staggers me. Deer are managed properly - North Royalton passes laws stopping this management. Then North Royalton complains about the problem they created and blames the state!

I intend to contact my councilman and the mayor - but I have been to meetings before where the deer issue was discussed and bowhunting considered. It did not go well. Not at all.

31-Aug-14
Barsterds

31-Aug-14
a feeder in the backyard and a bow sounds like a good solution and a frezzer full of meat

31-Aug-14
Wow, how pathetic. So the rest of the state doesn't have problems but these two cities do and they are the one's who don't allow hunting. Seems like a pretty straight forward argument for hunting.

31-Aug-14
Go as an ordinary citizen and complain that giving hormones to deer is unethical and you object to it on humanitary grounds.

31-Aug-14
Contraceptives are covered under Obama care, the Feds will pay for it.

31-Aug-14
I'll gladly pay for some contraceptives to help out.

But you HAVE to get a video of that mayor trying to put a Trojan on some big, mature Ohio buck! :-)

01-Sep-14
Typical Cleveland Blue Stata thinking.

02-Sep-14
Maybe they would like some wolves.

02-Sep-14
Actually, the city cannot outlaw hunting. The State's game laws pre-empt the city in authority. Bow hunting is not a discharge of a fire arm. There is a solution if you look hard enough... ;)

02-Sep-14
Writer, I think your comment crosses the line. You know, the one between funny and damn funny. :)

Keep it up, you could do this for a living.

02-Sep-14
Seminole I have never heard that I know guys have been prosecuted for hunting in cities that do not allow hunting, all over Ohio? Please elaborate.

Thanks

02-Sep-14
writer x2, I'd pay to see that myself !

02-Sep-14
Don... Seminole is correct. state hunting laws supersede township ordinances. BUT... here in Pa they do the same thing by outlawing the discharge of weapons to include bows.

But I'll say one thing: How the hell can they decide that hunters are responsible to pay the costs for wildlife management there? It has absolutely NOTHING to do with hunting. Why don't they send the bill to the local landscapers or the country club for providing all that forage? They can get away with banning the hunting in a roundabout way but to send the bill to hunters is bullchit!!!! I would not stand still for that.

Sounds like a good place for a ninja bowhunter to me. Are there any big bucks?

02-Sep-14
They tried it in western NY.....it didn't work. The best contraceptives were found to have broadheads attached.

02-Sep-14
The state laws do not supercede if the township adds "including bows" as mule power states. Try it and you'll lose your hunting priveleges for at least 5 years if you get a prosecutor that is anti-hunter. Its a very sad state of affairs. Then again....most of our country is a real mess. We do get what we vote for.

02-Sep-14
In Pa they do Steve. Townships and boroughs cannot adopt no hunting laws. We went through that years ago. Now you wouldn't believe the places you see tree stands. Anywhere you want as long as it is outside safety zones.... legal distances from houses and roads. But, like I said, they find their way around it with weapons ordinances. Most haven't bothered though.

Don, I thought of a better idea. Almost as good as Medicinemann's.... send the bill to PETA!

03-Sep-14
Actually, I corresponded with an Ohio DOW officer on this subject a few years back and was informed, even though city ordinance's may have so-called "No Hunting" signs and regulations, this is not exactly true... They may have projectile laws to prevent hunting with firearm or bow, but legally they can not prevent you from legally killing wildlife for they are property of the state managed by the ODNR...

I understand is a fine line, but often thought to make it an issue to city councils to make them remove their "No Hunting Ordinance", signs but felt eventual need for lawyers' involvement, and didn't really want to spend that kind of money for the cause...

03-Sep-14
relocate to Jackson county Ill take all they have! Freezers empty

03-Sep-14
Mule Power is right...............

We use to hunt a hollow located in a "city" that was loaded with deer and we heard the same thing....... no discharging of firearms or bows. But state law trumps the city ordinance when it comes to hunting and they can't do anything about it.

Had a game warden tell us that if we ever got into a situation with the law, to call him and he'd come ASAP, but we never had any problems.

03-Sep-14
Imagine all the donated protein that could feed hungry children if they allowed urban archery hunts....

03-Sep-14
Owl,

One area that conducted a "cull hunt" went so far as to pour bleach on the meat of the animals that were taken...supposedly they feared for pathogens in the animals.....local opinion was that they feared that hunting would be perceived in a far more positive light.....

03-Sep-14
There is a town in Utah that is very effectively and efficiently removing deer using bow hunting! The program was really well thought out, managed and is a great example of what can happen! Look it up and bring the facts to the meeting! It proves that well regulated hunting with in city limits can be effective, safe and a good way to handle the problem economically!

03-Sep-14
Several towns in IA have "city hunts". Seem to work well. Always seems to be a bit of trouble getting it passed, then it gets quiet and simply works as planned.

03-Sep-14
Keep working on it Don, I have a brother in North Royalton that would love for me to be able to shoot the big 10-pointer he has been seeing lately in his backyard. As to the contraceptives, I remember reading that the does on contraceptives will continue to come into estrus until they get pregnant, which literally kills the bucks, especially in a state with cold winters! But what a way to go!

03-Sep-14
Thanks guys, contraceptives scare the crap out of me. They will happen and, mark my words, they will be extremely bad news for hunters.

03-Sep-14
Freakin madness, thats all I can muster.

03-Sep-14

BULELK1's Link
Here is how we have addressed this issue.

See my link above---

We are a very conservative state, it can be done.

Good luck, Robb

03-Sep-14
This thread makes me really glad that I live in small town in Texas! I can shoot a deer in the backyard with gun(even suppressed!) or a bow, and as long as the projectile doesn't cross a property line everything is good with the police. We'll be where you are in 20 years, so I'm going to enjoy it while I can!

03-Sep-14
Don, check out Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry. The ohio DNR has funding as well as local conservation organizations. This might be a good way to present your argument. It would be a win/win situation for those councilmen that have an open mind. Good luck!

10-Sep-14

Zbone's Link
Fitting for this thread, published in today's Akron Beacon Journal...

For those unaware, Peninsula is right down the road and located in the middle of Cuyahoga National Park, the only NP in Ohio...

At least they are considering bowhunting:

http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/peninsula-council-puts-bow-hunting-proposal-on-hold-1.520956

" Peninsula council puts bow-hunting proposal on hold

By Gina Mace Special to the Beacon Journal

More Sharing Services

Print Facebook

Twitter

Add This

Published: September 9, 2014 - 09:54 AM

PENINSULA: Village council sent an ordinance that would have allowed bow hunting on village property back to the drawing board after a lengthy meeting Monday.

Councilman Brian Schall, a hunter, scrapped the proposed ordinance after hearing concerns from about a dozen residents.

The proposal sought to allow a Peninsula landowner and one guest to hunt with a bow and arrows on residential areas greater than 4 acres. If a resident’s land were smaller than 4 acres, a neighbor could agree to combine acreage to create a hunting area.

Hunters would be required to stay at least 600 feet away from any structure and 150 feet from a property line.

Betsy DuWaldt feared the ordinance would encroach on her property rights. She said the danger from hunters so close could limit use of her property for one-third of the year because of safety concerns.

Another woman called the proposal, “an accident waiting to happen.”

“We have lots of visitors, tourists, on a daily basis,” she said. “If there is an accident — injury or death — who is culpable?”

Kevin Royer said deer can be a nuisance.

“But if this passes as written,” he said, “25 to 30 feet from my property line, my neighbor can shoot deer all day long.”

Schall agreed that some of the residents who spoke raised valid concerns. He said he plans to introduce a revised ordinance in the future.

But that won’t happen soon enough for Peninsula hunters who had hoped to be sitting in tree stands for the Sept. 27 opening of archery season for white-tailed deer.

Schall wants to take some time to gather information and sit down with the police chief before writing a better, stricter ordinance.

“It needs to be more in-depth,” he said.

Gina Mace can be emailed at [email protected]. "

10-Sep-14
"They tried it in western NY.....it didn't work. The best contraceptives were found to have broadheads attached."

Aye brother!. Of course "it didn't work" means nothing to the willfully ignorant.

Find a way to force the cost of contraceptives, and the cost of their failure right down the throats of the bone heads that want it.

• Sitka Gear