bowbearman 03-Sep-14
IdyllwildArcher 03-Sep-14
Bentstick81 03-Sep-14
sir misalots 03-Sep-14
jstephens61 03-Sep-14
grasshopper 03-Sep-14
31-Aug-14
Nothing buckshot can't handle...8^)

Wait until ya have law enforcement following around the woods with one... Its coming...

31-Aug-14
The world is going way to fast this age of techno will be mans down fall !! If Drones r allowed in preseason many would stretch it into the hunting season SO a big no !!! Drones have a place that's Helping the USA seek and destroy Terrorist cells !!!

I heard AZ is trying to ban the use of cameras for hunting !!!

31-Aug-14
What zbone said!! Absolutely not at all!

31-Aug-14
I could see outfitters on large private tracts using these to help their clients.

Since I am against all motorized access off improved or designated roads year-around, I would also be against drones overhead.

31-Aug-14
Only on Private land. It should never be allowed on public land, There would be so many guys out there flying and scouting it would look like the last scene from top gun.

31-Aug-14
One more reason to keep a couple flu flu arrows in the old quiver

31-Aug-14
If the information obtained is used for the purpose of hunting then no.

Just a safer shute plane imo.

31-Aug-14
All I can say if I am out in the woods and a drone flies over me it won't be up there long.

31-Aug-14
ditto LB...

31-Aug-14
No to drones in any scouting or hunting capacity. Understand that any drone can be equipped to geotag a location where game is spotted, and can then begin surveillance if the area periodically. Game patterns and bedding sites would be a matter of record, with the hunter only needing that waypoint or set of coordinates to move directly to the selected area during season.

If your legs are good enough to get you to game, then they're good enough to use for scouting that game. The example of manned aircraft/planes/helicopter scouting is a poor comparison due to the cost of daily flying and aircraft maintenance...something a drone owner would avoid. Drones are relatively silent, where aircraft engines are extremely loud and don't allow close approaches to undisturbed game. Legal for scouting but not hunting? If you introduce the technology and give it partial legitimacy for hunting-related activities, how much time until it gains enough support from users and manufacturers to make it legal while hunting? Do you really want to hunt amidst the humming of drones through your favorite elk canyon?

31-Aug-14
You officially can no longer call yourself a hunter if you need a drone to find game.

31-Aug-14
What's the difference between a drone and a posse with 50 trail cams?

31-Aug-14
Is there no end to the technological bullshit to take the sport out of hunting? Good grief!!

31-Aug-14
..."I'm sorry, I thought I heard you say "PULL" and you somehow knew that I love a good round of skeet."

I swear, if I have my shotgun I'm going to say this.

31-Aug-14
"Is there no end to the technological bullshit to take the sport out of hunting?"

+1 !!

31-Aug-14
What's the difference between a drone and a trail cam that can be viewed in real time from a computer?

IMO nothing.

When remote cameras started appearing on trees in the woods anyone with any sense of reason should have figured that these were the next step. Welcome to the future.

31-Aug-14
+1 WW.

31-Aug-14
It is refreshing to see the uniform opposition to drones. To answer woods walker, the difference is huge.

A poacher cannot scout a property without trespassing with a trail cam. It will only be a short time until guys are driving roads and walking fence lines with drones to send out over posted private property. On the off chance they are caught nothing will be done. Huge difference. The potential for abuse here is huge.

31-Aug-14
Richard,

Has Boone and Crockett made a reg concerning big game animals located with drones?

As drones improve, with cameras they use, the size gets smaller and the motors get quieter, they could become a poaching tool.

31-Aug-14
And since when has trespassing ever stopped a poacher?

Once again, we are being opposed to a TOOL, which has no mind of it's own, when the real culprits are the people abusing them.

I see this as the same type of argument when compound bow shooters are dead set against crossbows. The drone is to a trail cam as a crossbow is to a compound IMO.

And just for the record, I gave away my compounds years ago to go back to stickbows and I don't own (and don't want to own) a trail cam. Not that anyone else has to do that, that's just me.

Bottom line, NOTHING that has to do with high-tech surprises me anymore. Maybe that's why I gave up on all that stuff years ago.

31-Aug-14
"Is there no end to the technological bullshit to take the sport out of hunting?"

Short answer....no. But it will only take the sport out of your hunting if you use them Sarge and you feel that way. That's why I don't use OR rely anything that needs batteries ('cept a flashlight) or a microchip. And as long as they don't try and pass any laws that MAKE me use that stuff then we're all good.

31-Aug-14
My advice is the only way to scout, is to use your legs, and if you can not get off your a.. to do that, you do not deserve the animal you take......

Pre season post season, Pat if that is what you want the future of hunting to become, shame on you.....

31-Aug-14
I think we should be able to use drones, to shoot dogs and other pets....http://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=434590&messages=38&forum=4....with crossbows, over bait, and at night.

Did I miss anything? Oh yeah....and while wearing Scent-Loc in an Ozonics tent!

01-Sep-14
One more thing,,,,,, I got invited to hunt a great farm, really nice place.... They showed me all their pictures, as they monitor all the deer, via the cameras, and get results, on their phones and computers at home.......

I just shake my head, I said no thanks, it may be legal but its not fair chase.......

I know we are starting to see the end, of a great sport, and Roy Case would not have believed it.....

I feel sorry for the kids, the anticipation, the wonderment, the roaming the woods for sign, etc, in 15 years that type of hunting will all be gone

01-Sep-14
"I feel sorry for the kids, the anticipation, the wonderment, the roaming the woods for sign, etc...."

I grew up in the 50's and 60's, and I came from a non-hunting/outdoors type family. But after watching Daniel Boone on TV and seeing the the deer and bear hung on a game pole in front of the local town restaurant after the owners came back from their Maine trip every fall I knew that I wanted to hunt and I wanted to know EVERYTHING about the woods. And when I say everything I meant just that. The animals, the trees, the plants, the insects, the DIRT. I was blessed that my father had a good friend who was a classic outdoorsman of the first order and he took me underwing.

He taught me how to read sign, track, watch, listen, smell, taste and most importantly QUESTION EVERYTHING I saw in the woods because NOTHING happens by chance...there's a reason for everthing. A deer browsed on this twig. Why? What type of plant is it? Where's it growing? Why is it growing here and not over there? Of course you never know all the answers and there's always more questions, but the more you question and seek the more you know about the woods and everything that's in it.

By the time I was 12 I was trapping on my own. After that I was hunting birds and small game with gun and bow. I started deer hunting at 16 and because of the teaching I had and the woodsmanshiop skills I acquired by the time I was in my 20's I was already a better tracker than a lot of men 10 years my senior.

So I just have to wonder if today's kids like you say will miss all of that. CERTAINLY you cannot learn this by watching trail cam pics. Too many of the people who put trail cams out probably cannot tell you what kind of tree they put it on!!!

But then again, maybe with drones and spy cams, and infrared gizmos and God know what else maybe they won't NEED to know all that stuff....and they'll never know or understand the magnificent natural world in front of their faces.

Thank God I was born when I was and not now!!!

01-Sep-14
Many times on hunting forums I will see a post from a new/young hunter who says they are just starting to learn how to hunt and they want to know what kind of TRAIL CAM to buy!!!

I tell them to forget the cameras for now and to get themselves a book on tree and plant identification and a decent pair of binoculars and to spend as much time in the woods ALL YEAR watching the deer and other creatures and observing what they are doing and why.

Most all of them don't listen and that's their loss. TV has made it seem like the only way you can be a successful deer hunter is by having all the gizmos and doo-dads like the "celebrity hunters" they see on TV.

The sad truth is that many of those kids probably won't even be hunting anymore by the time their 25.

01-Sep-14

Don K's Link
Drones are inexpensive and some people are probably already using them.

Another large concern is the changes that may be coming to Google Earth.

Google’s satellites by 2018, will survey the globe by taking pictures of its entirety three times a day. These pictures will be twice the detail that is available now.

No need for a trail cam as you will be able to scout from your PC without having to go anywhere.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/googles-satellites-could-soon-see-your-face-from-space

01-Sep-14
WW great insight man and I agree...but I'd still like to down a drone lol. I'm thinking of keeping a bullhead broadhead in reserve.

01-Sep-14
"What's the difference between a drone and a posse with 50 trail cams?" I'm not a fan of trail cams with cell signal that give instant knowledge but I do support cams that only give knowlesge when checked in person. I camera has never aided in me taking a deer, just let me know I want to hunt here instead of there because there are bigger ones over here. In the mountains I have to do the legwork to put a cam out and check it. I would never support drones for hunting/ scouting just as I don't support scouting from a plane. To me it's all about putting in the leg work.

01-Sep-14
"So I just have to wonder if today's kids like you say will miss all of that."

I am sure they will. Like the poor soul on the other thread who listens to "tunes" on his hike in. My goodness, that has to be one of the saddest things I have read on here.

Ear bud nation.......

01-Sep-14
I agree 100% with cityhunter

01-Sep-14
As some have compared drones with trail-cams, I agree, I always felt trail-cams were cheating too...

01-Sep-14
I bet that in the future I will see some redneck hunting show, it will be all about drones, and than we will have Babe Winkelman, and Ralph and Vicki, and they will all be justifying them......... Just like the xbows.......

01-Sep-14
The only positive thing I can see about these things is that fewer and fewer people will actually be in the woods much. In fact, I'd like to see ARMED drones so that the only time the techie hunters even have to go in the woods is to retrieve the game that they shot with the drone. They can spend the rest of their time back at the motel playing video games and not have to watch and endure those excruciatingly boring sunrises and sunsets, the appearence of "non-shooter" animals, and the mindnumbing monotony of seeing the woods change moods and tempo.

Then backwards cavemen like me can have more of the woods to ourselves!

01-Sep-14
People been using human drones for a while now! Doyle moss and others make good chunk of change by finding animals and watching it.. All the while they are sending pics to the highest bidder for a person who has more money than they know what to do with. The $ then says watch that buck/bull till the opening day and I will give you $20k! Same with the governors tags

Half the time the people killing these monsters just show up to kill em. The drone people sleep and eat with this animal.

All these things are leading to part of hunting I think that has changed the game and not for the better! Kind of sad!

01-Sep-14
I hate the idea that some will use them for hunting whether legal or not. Shooting one down will be a challenge as they fly above 300 feet, a tough shot for a flu flu or buckshot.

01-Sep-14
"Is there no end to the technological bullshit to take the sport out of hunting?" This is to weird! I just got done telling my wife that I don't like how fast technology is advancing, it scares me,and I turn on my computer and see this! I can't imagine using all this new technology, I'm like the rest of you, I don't use trail cams and feel the challenge is to find the area / animal on my own two feet and put in the time to learn. This is why I bowhunt! get close and try to beat the animal at it's own game. I guess I will never understand this new generation!

01-Sep-14
Here is Colorado's NEW regulation, ie, It is against the law to:

Use the Internet or computer assisted remote technology while hunting or fishing. This includes unmanned or remote control drones used to look for wildlife. Hunters and anglers must be physically present in the immediate vicinity while hunting and fishing.

I am not sure if, "used to look for wildlife" includes scouting before the season or just during the hunting season.

I am totally against the use of drones for scouting and hunting purposes and had the pleasure of testifying against their use at a recent Wildlife Commission meeting.

My best, Paul

01-Sep-14
"My advice is the only way to scout, is to use your legs, and if you can not get off your a.. to do that, you do not deserve the animal you take......"

in the interest of debate, what if said hunter was disabled? What if he was a wounded vet with only one leg?

michael

02-Sep-14
If he was a wounded vet I'd carry him there myself. That's NOT what the intent here is!

02-Sep-14
People own the airspace over their lands. I am sure at some point, the drones will be trespassing over other peoples lands whether on purpose or by accident. If I see one...I will shoot it down!

02-Sep-14
As a landowner in rural southeast Ohio, I could easily own and fly a drone over my farm. The fact is that I could probably fly it endlessly anywhere I want around here, so sparse is the human population. I think a drone would be great fun to fly and spy with. I'd love to launch one and go buzz a coyote out back or maybe hover above those 10 deer in the hayfield while taking video. I'd probably use it to check for acorns in September, and to see if my treestands were still up. I might even take it out in the evening and fly it 500 yards to my hidden meadow and see if any deer were there at 7 pm. If one of them was a fine buck, I might fly back tomorrow and see where he shows up at. I guess I'm my own worst enemy without realizing it.

As others have indicated, drones by themselves are incapable of doing bad things. It takes a man to complete the equation. We must legislate against drones in sport hunting, because we unfortunately can't legislate for ethics.

02-Sep-14
Writer, B&C does have a policy on drone use. I think it is posted on the website. It is basically no drone use at any time.

02-Sep-14
Mn-archer - you took me out of context, and you know exactly what I mean't..........

68 - 72 did my SEA tour 69 - 70...... I would carry the guy or gal if I had to.........

02-Sep-14
Yes there will be those lazy - asses that will use drones instead of doing the footwork. But as we all know things look different from the air. And for the ones that cheat, you're still going to have to walk in to where your drone was sent. More than likely will be a compound shooter that will use a drone before any other group.

02-Sep-14
Razor-

I know, I was just pointing out that there could easily be some unintended consequences on either side of the fence.

I always see people post...

"well they will use it for poaching..."

who cares, they are poachers, breaking the law is what they do.

03-Sep-14
If these drones were avalibule to the public at affordable prices and legal to use in the mountains then there would be no way to enforce scouting pre season with them. You could simply say you were bird watching. They could only stop a licensed hunter from using them during their hunt.

03-Sep-14
I've never been a proponent of legislating the masses for the actions of a few criminals. Poachers trespass and kill animals illegally. Always have and always will. Doesn't matter what laws you have because THEY ALREADY DON'T FOLLOW THE LAW.

I wouldn't personally use one and don't care for the thought of them buzzing around during hunting season, but I don't really see it as the government's role to say I can't legally fly a drone during the summer time if I want to. Since when should cost come in as a factor when making laws against something being right or wrong (for those saying its different or more unethical than scouting from a small plane because planes are more expensive to operate)?

03-Sep-14
I've never been a proponent of legislating the masses for the actions of a few criminals. Poachers trespass and kill animals illegally. Always have and always will. Doesn't matter what laws you have because THEY ALREADY DON'T FOLLOW THE LAW.

I wouldn't personally use one and don't care for the thought of them buzzing around during hunting season, but I don't really see it as the government's role to say I can't legally fly a drone during the summer time if I want to. Since when should cost come in as a factor when making laws against something being right or wrong (for those saying its different or more unethical than scouting from a small plane because planes are more expensive to operate)?

03-Sep-14
My vote is NO!! I thinkthis high tech stuff is for lazy hunters. Even trail cameras that email you are out of line. Dont get me wrong I use trail cameras but I think half the fun is waiting to go check them then its like christmas when you find out what you got instead of sitting on the couch and watching your deer or whatever your hunting I agree with city techno is destroying the sport I also agree with Zbone next the enforcement will be watching every move you make if they dont already and before I get ripped on by someone saying I shouldn't be doing anything wrong and I wouldn't have to worry about it. Anyone that has dealt with any enforcment they can always find something wrong here in WI your guilty before you even talk to them and then your guilty until proven innocent!! Aaron

03-Sep-14
Unless you could get a live video feed from them with no line-of-site radio control, they wouldn't be worth much.

You gotta admit though, they look like a lot of fun.

Better yet, live video feed with a remote control BB gun attached... that would be endless entertainment.

I bet I could train my neighbor's dog to STFU.

03-Sep-14
I agree with LBshooter, and zbone. The drone better hope I don't see it. It will be short lived.

03-Sep-14
It wont be long before you see camo ones advertize on the outdoor channel.

If theres money to be made in pursuit of antlers.. then they will be out there.

03-Sep-14
Illegal in Illinois. One of the few smart things we've done lately.

03-Sep-14
I have no problem with drone usage so long as they comply with current aircraft legislation.

If you go spring grizzer bear hunting in AK, odds are you'll scout bears from the air. It's fair chase if you don't shoot the same day you fly.

Rich guys, landowners, and outfitters scout from super cubs and like aircraft all the time. It's legal, and fair chase so long as you don't shoot the same day.

Now a way that lower income guys can participate in an already legal and fair chase way to hunt comes along, and you guys condemn so we can have yet another double standard.

My expectation of government regulation is that everyone gets a level playing field. Instead of the level playing field, we let guys buy landowner tags to rob public draw hunters of their spot in the preference point line. And now we all condemn drones, but if you can pay a super cub pilot $500 an hour or buy a plane for $100k - its ok you can do it because your wallet is fatter.

Quit with the double standards guys. Its all legal or none of it should be legal. Its whats wrong with America, take your blinders off.

• Sitka Gear