elkmtngear 02-Sep-14
BULELK1 03-Sep-14
Ace of Spades 03-Sep-14
ghost30 03-Sep-14
Barty1970 04-Sep-14
31-Aug-14

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
I went in a day early on Friday and set-up camp on a ridge. I climbed the rock wall that sheilds me from the basin and glassed until dark. For the first time ever, I didn't see an elk here. Just three weeks prior, I made a quick scouting trip and they were everywhere.

31-Aug-14

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
I heard one bugle at 2:45am but opening morning was the same deal. I thought maybe it was a fluke and they were in the pines. After an hour of glassing, I finally saw one elk. A young bull that might push 220".

As I started burning boot leather, I soon realized the problem. A massive sheep herd had infiltrated the basin a couple weeks ago. While old elk tracks literally covered the ground everywhere, sheep had been there ever since.

I hiked the entire basin including a rocky ridge in the middle. After a goose egg, I sucked it up and climbed straight up to a secondary camp sight to check it out. My plan was to glass, eat something and then relocate there. Ideally, I would drop my pack and just take my bow back for my tent at the first spot.

As I crested the ridge soaking with sweat...this is what I found!!!!

31-Aug-14
I was incredibly dissapointed. They had moved from my #1 spot and heading to my #2. I dropped all that elevation and spent the rest of the day by a wallow. This was my only visitor all day.

31-Aug-14
For f's sake...

31-Aug-14
At dusk it was obvious nothing was going to show and the wind was now sketchy. I moved to another wallow and caught a spindly bull as he finished getting soaked in mud.

As I started climing back to camp, the sky opened up. Ugh, I could hardly climb. It sucked.

31-Aug-14

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
So far, I've seen one elk and this little guy that ate every piece of lunch I dropped.

31-Aug-14

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
So far, I've seen one elk and this little guy that ate every piece of lunch I dropped.

31-Aug-14

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
This morning, I packed up camp in the rain and glassed the basin again just for kicks. Nothing but one cow elk by my camp.

I took the long way back to my vehicle and hiked up a very long ridge. I still hunted and finally started finding good sign including some dandy rubs, a fresh wallow, and a nice 5x5 that had just used it.

Things are looking better for next weekend.

31-Aug-14

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo

01-Sep-14
Sheep suck!!!

I have yet to hear a bugle so your one step ahead of me. Looking to hear your next report. Good luck

01-Sep-14
Yeah, I think it should be a law and our duty to check out how our setups preform on at least one mountain maggot!

01-Sep-14
It is sad but it isn't going to change much in the future.

My favorite area in Wyo is over ran with sheep now....my other area has turned in to a stock yard there are so many cattle.

Hang in there...

Good luck, Robb

01-Sep-14
Like everyone else, I hate seeing sheep in the mountains during hunting season, and will usually move elsewhere. BUT. One year I made may way through a bunch of those mountain maggots heading for somewhere else. Not 100 yards past the sheep, I ran into a herd of elk and killed a 5 point bull. So you never know. Sometimes the elk just circumnavigate the vermin.

01-Sep-14
Good rub, big boys pick on big trees...

01-Sep-14
Anyone ran into Riley on the South Slope of the Uinta's in Utah?

He is one hell of a General Tag bow elk hunter but I have not heard from him...

I kinda worry about him and his horses hunt!!

Good luck, Robb

01-Sep-14
Two years ago, a guy with private land allowed us to hunt his 800 acre basin that was surrounded by dark timber. However, unknown to him his neighbor had his "foreign exchange student" bring a herd of sheep into the basin opening morning, let them graze for two hours, then shoot his 22 pistol and get his dogs after them to run them back to their property. The landowner was embarrassed and fit to be tied, but of course it ruined out hunt!

01-Sep-14
Well, at least you know where the elk are... Somewhere else.

02-Sep-14
In my area this happens to us and it only takes a day or two for the elk to filter back in.

02-Sep-14
I know you will, but keep after it Jason!

02-Sep-14
They usually are herding up the sheep and moving them out of the high country around this time of year. I have been hunting in CO and seen this "roundup" several times. The elk are around, if the sheep move out, the elk will infiltrate back.

>>>>-------->

02-Sep-14
It's been my experience that sheep don't move elk out very far, if at all. Last year there was a huge band of sheep in the area we were hunting and I was routinely finding elk within a half mile of where they were grazing.

We watched from an opposing ridge as the herder and his dogs took about 400 sheep through a gate and right down the ridge we had glassed elk on. We watched the elk sneak out ahead and go about 400 yards away before bedding back down.

02-Sep-14
Hopefully you'll get a good rain to wash out the stink of range maggot!

We are lucky in that, so far, the sheep stay on the Flat Tops close to the roads...and out of the "Honey Holes".

I hope I don't get a surprise this Season!

Best of Luck, Jeff

03-Sep-14
+1 Jeff,

That stink hangs around for days until it gets rain out...!!

Good luck, Robb

03-Sep-14
Sheep always push them out.... Hopefully the sheep move out soon so you can get into some elk..

03-Sep-14
I have found that when the sheep move out the elk don't come back there until the following year.

By far the worst sheep problem I ever had was in unit 441 north of hayden colorado back in the 90's before it became a draw unit.

It was all about getting the elk on to the private land before the season even opened.

03-Sep-14
sheep suck for sure just had about 700 to 1000 head graze through our area too but guess what next morning a giant six by six still there going after him in the morning had to hit home for essentials and back out again until get one in the freezer good luck to all

04-Sep-14
Sounds like a blues song...

'Woke up this morning...sheep all in my honey hole...'

Good luck and good hunting

• Sitka Gear