Fetch 02-Sep-14
Woodsman416 03-Sep-14
Steve Grogg 04-Sep-14
CurveBow 09-Sep-14
Saxton 09-Sep-14
HDBOW 09-Sep-14
South Farm 11-Sep-14
31-Aug-14
What are some of the best books available on scouting and hunting big woods? Thanks

01-Sep-14
Greg Miller wrote a book about it, it's a pretty good book. I believe Hal Blood also wrote a couple about big woods hunting. Miller's is geared towards bowhunting.

02-Sep-14
I live about 15 minutes from Greg, he cut his teeth hunting the big woods, as did his brother Jeff. Greg has transitioned to more of the "big name" hunting areas, but the book is good. It focuses on how to scout and hunt the big woods bucks.

02-Sep-14
Charles Alsheimer has a book and Then there is Bobby Worthington..."Mountain Mke"

02-Sep-14
I thought Richard P. Smith wrote a book also, but I cannot find it now. I know he has written many articles in magazines regarding big woods whitetail hunting. I have learned a lot from those.

02-Sep-14
Hal Blood is great, its gun hunting but really breaks down big buck haunts one on one.

02-Sep-14
"I thought Richard P. Smith wrote a book also,"

"In the Deer Woods" Great book. I reread it every couple of years.

And of course, "How to Bag the Biggest Buck of Your Life" by Larry Benoit.

02-Sep-14
Can't believe nobody said Benoints. Best big woods hunters ever imo...Butch

03-Sep-14
"Can't believe nobody said Benoints"

Ummmm....OK

04-Sep-14
Thanks all

09-Sep-14
Most big woods books are gun books including:

How to bag the Biggest Buck of Your Life by Larry Benoit (passed away last year).

Hunting Trophy Bucks with the Benoits by Bryce Towsley (there are two books). Both are well written.

I think Greg Miller may also have a big woods book too.

Hal Blood also has something. Its been a while since I read his book, but I think that for tracking (not bowhunting) the Benoit books are all better.

Alsheimers book is more for "fringe" areas where deer still come to agriculture; not for true big woods which lacks any agriculture. Charlie is a great photographer and writes for Deer & Deer Hunting Magazine plus has several books to his credit.

Dick Bernier also has some books - IMHO - don't waste your money. I did. He's a Benoit wannabe and gets it done too, but cashes in on the Benoit cow as a copycat. His first book has too much of thank dad and praise GOD (which is fine to practice, but I don't want to be preached to by him). He did a book about going to Africa which led one to think that it unraveled a mystery or two from some of the world's greatest trackers. Nope, just a recap of his visit. Information gained relating to snow tracking deer - none...

>>>>-------->

09-Sep-14
I have read, Greg Miller's "Hunting Big Woods Deer". And that is exactly what it is about. Good book, a lot of information.

If you have done much hunting in big woods and have questions, this book will make you say; "oh yea, that is why........."

09-Sep-14
Mapping trophy bucks by Brad Herndon is a great book all around but the principles that he covers on picking up on terrain features is def applicable in the big woods. Greg Millers book is great Towsley is one of my favorite writer and How to bag the biggest buck of your life is one of my all time favs but they are gun hunting books for sure.

11-Sep-14
Ken Nordberg's Whitetail Almanac series is 95% based on deer habits in far northern Minnesota and have really been influential in teaching me how to hunt there the last 25 years. The hard part is finding them as they are out of print and generally on the spendy side when you can find them for sale. The gist of the series is based on finding, identifying, and planning hunts strictly on the various signs that deer leave rather than picking a spot because it "looks good" or because you shot a deer there last year...and then employing some unorthodox tactics to take advantage of that sign and kill a big buck.

• Sitka Gear