TD 02-Sep-14
TwoDogs@work 02-Sep-14
Backpack Hunter 02-Sep-14
elkmtngear 02-Sep-14
Tim M 02-Sep-14
TEmbry 03-Sep-14
Saxton 03-Sep-14
01-Sep-14
When hiking in do you listen to a tune or not?

01-Sep-14
Not! Only tune I want to hear is a bull bugle up close and personal unless I am "whistling a happy tune' because I am glad to be there.

Bring in "civilization" into the elk woods is sacrilegious..

By best, Paul

01-Sep-14
No way.

01-Sep-14
I agree the forest is a place to escape civilization and noise.

01-Sep-14
The birds! And the coyote's! And those damn squirrels for about thirty seconds and then I want to shoot them! You might walk right past a bugle or a cow call, or miss hearing that sow with cubs huffing at you with ear buds in!

01-Sep-14
No. Don't even listen to music while hiking. Only listen to nature and my sixths sense.

01-Sep-14
Music is for the cross country drive to and fro.

01-Sep-14
I want to know if the "hike in" turns into an opportunity. If I am plugged in I wouldn't hear anything. Where is the "line" where elk are located? 50 yards or 2 miles from the truck - you never know...

01-Sep-14
NO, that would ruin the reason I'm there. To listen to nature, even if she's being quiet.

01-Sep-14
I don't even take a cell phone.

01-Sep-14
Why would you not want to listen to nature, isn't that part of being in the woods and hunting?

01-Sep-14
the sights and sounds over 5 miles of hiking would be more interesting and motivating to me then any tunes. nothing painful about it. I often stop to glass or check other spots or trails along the way.

01-Sep-14
The only tunes I need is the natural ones.

Let me suggest a real good album ... " Nature Unplugged"

01-Sep-14
NEVER!

01-Sep-14
I love music, but that would be torture to me.

01-Sep-14
ive never listened to music on a hike in, but have had an mps player loaded up with some talk radio programs.

keep the volume low and only one ear plugged in and I can still hear anything else I need to.

of course when on a long sit in the whitetail rifle stand (gasp, I know) ill often times have a book or magazine in my pack to pass the time.

michael

01-Sep-14
smh

01-Sep-14
Not a chance...and I'm not even close to a purist.

01-Sep-14
Only if its JayZ or P Diddy. :). Wait are those the same guy

01-Sep-14
I don't listen to music when I trail run, let alone when I'm in the woods to go hunting.

01-Sep-14
No. I hunt to get away from music and every day life.

I like to also be aware of my surroundings. Where I hunt the potential to run into critters is very high anywhere along the hike. I Would miss out on elk I think if listening to music

01-Sep-14
Pat. Purists????????????????????? I guess we can give you a break since it is your site.

My best, Paul

01-Sep-14
Sounds like a really good opportunity to get back in tune with nature. Our attention span in this day and age has diminished our appreciation for the sights and sounds nature gives us. I know how hard it is for me to leave work and run home, grab my bow and go out in the woods and relax. Your mind is racing with thoughts about work that day and what's in store tomorrow. It makes it really hard to decompress and just listen for the subtle rustle of leaves or a twig snap. Hard to do with headphones on or playing games on your I-phone. If I waited all year for the chance to hike into the mountains and elk hunt I would want to enjoy it from the first moment I left the truck behind. Based on the pictures I've seen on this site, Paul and BB get it.

01-Sep-14
If I could get some of these he boys to cut my elk rap I would listen to that going up...might make me go over the top

01-Sep-14
You only have so long to listen to nature, listen to it while you can!

01-Sep-14
I never walk around anywhere with my head my a$$. Pay attention to your surroundings when out of doors, always. And that means ALL your senses.

01-Sep-14
No,no,no

01-Sep-14
This one does it for me. The lyrics to the drop zone tv show.

Welcome to the drop zone, got you in the crosshairs Once I pull this trigger, they're gonna haul you outta? here Hunting is a lifestyle, survival of the fittest We on a hunt, what you want, come on Now you in the drop zone

Drop down, exhale, one shot, one kill We do it like this all day, drop zone y'all we don't play We chase them big old hogs, big trucks with old bird dogs It's all American to hunt and tote a gun Climb up in that tree stand, got a muzzle loader in my hand Big buck walkin' into sight, game over drop zone good night We hunt them grizzly bears, kodiaks blacks and brown Wanna see where the drop zone is, follow them tracks to the edge of town That's where you'll find me, all my folks behind me We do it like every day, God bless the USA' No way we'll ever stop, we make that big game drop Outdoors is where we roll, now welcome to the drop zone

Welcome to the drop zone, got you in the crosshairs Once I pull this trigger, they're gonna haul you outta? here Hunting is a lifestyle, survival of the fittest We on a hunt, what you want, come on Now you in the drop zone

Now if it flies it dies, that's geese ducks and dove Pheasants and quail yeah, huntin' is what we love We chase them thunder chickens, we make 'em strut and spit When they enter that drop zone baby, game over that's it Big bass, big bucks, big guns, get some This is America and we don't ever run Been known to tree a coon or maybe grab a gator Support the NRA, what more do I need to say One shot, one kill, drop zone it's real Outdoors is where we roll, now welcome to the drop zone

01-Sep-14
Your question definitely matches your handle. How old are you if you don't mind my asking? I can listen to music doing a lot of things - but when I enter the woods or field to kill- all my senses are on high alert would never want compromise a major one for any reason. If tunes are that important to you I suggest a different hobby. Dude :). All kidding aside if it's a part of your journey that does not involve the hunting aspect I suppose it could be ok much like the drive. But still - when u in the wilderness- don't you want all you senses especially your ears and eyes?

01-Sep-14
Never take music, but when I am in a "march" to my hunting area or back after dark, I "whistle" this tune in my head (not outloud) to keep my cadence up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXBdpUwIUYY

01-Sep-14
Bou' he could add 'spook nation' to the playlist too, quality tune right there.

01-Sep-14
I tried reading a book one time when I treestand hunted and I couldn't do it. I was more interested in the woods than the book and I'm a very avid reader.

What I figured out after that was that reading is pretty much an exercise of the imagination, while being in the woods is an explosion of the senses with sight, hearing, and smell, not to mention that "predator" sense that you sometimes get when you're "in the zone".

I love books but printed words cannot come even close to that.

01-Sep-14
No. Sounds like a great way to miss a bugle, approaching Grizz, someone's cry for help, etc

01-Sep-14
I never listen to music while hiking, hunting, skiing, climbing, biking or anything outdoors. I listen to music nonstop while driving but never while doing activities outdoors... It would be wrong and sometimes dangerous.

01-Sep-14
Call me weird, but I've drove to Nebraska and back and never turned the ridedio on and I don't have an iPod and see he only tune on my phone is big Dans blast. I don't have an ac and the buckshot to mudders drown out the radio...I wear earplugs to drown out the buckshot mudders.

02-Sep-14
Yeah, I listen to the tunes of the mountains...crank it UP!

02-Sep-14
The sights, sounds and smells of the woods are why I am there.

I can listen to music when I get home.

02-Sep-14
The only tunes I take to the woods, are the ones in my head; sometimes I hum and sing, typically Mr. Cash.

02-Sep-14
Hell no is my answer and I'm far from a purist! Now, on my riding lawn mower, hell yeah with ear muffs. Different events totally. Just MHO.... (Pat - I don't do tunes when running either; I want to hear the car that might kill me! :) )

>>>>-------->

02-Sep-14
No.

02-Sep-14
Seems counterproductive on just about every level.

02-Sep-14
Never.

02-Sep-14
What everyone else said!!!

02-Sep-14
Naaaa..... the voices keep me lots of company.......

02-Sep-14
As most others have said I have no desire to ruin an outdoor experience by bringing what I am escaping with me.

02-Sep-14
Never have, but have heard of others doing it. Different strokes I guess.

02-Sep-14
I listen to a lot of tunes driving 1200 miles to get to the elk woods.

Sometimes I get a "motivational rocker" stuck in my head on the hike in...but it only plays in my brain.

I've always got my ears open, and I'm tuning in to whatever channel mother nature has on!

Best of Luck, Jeff

02-Sep-14
Can't imagine doing that.

03-Sep-14
I have before when hunting open country that you can see for miles... Hiking across tundra and prairie for miles can go by much quicker with your workout playlist playing.

I would never in a wooded setting such as elk hunting though.

03-Sep-14
Really? SMFH!

• Sitka Gear