R. Hale 03-Sep-14
RANGER765 04-Sep-14
Foodplot 04-Sep-14
sureshot 04-Sep-14
Rock 04-Sep-14
RANGER765 04-Sep-14
happygolucky 04-Sep-14
01-Sep-14
Is CWD a risk to the deer heard in your area? The NY department of environmental conservation (DEC)reports that its a real threat. What does our state say?

01-Sep-14
my state says no, for now.

01-Sep-14
It's my only hope for getting a big one!

01-Sep-14
Yeah, CWD is traced to deer pens and the food they consume while living in a that constrained environment. Those pens should be shut down. No?

01-Sep-14
No!! If CWD was a big threat the why did Wind Cave National Park lower the high fence down to release elk into Custer State park because the elk were getting over populated. JTV, was you at the state house. It didnt go to well for you guys that are teamed up with HSUS and PETA. Its a sad day when hunters team up with these clowns.

01-Sep-14
Kind of.

02-Sep-14
No.How about all the deer that are killed in CWD states and transported in the back of trucks all over the country.That is a bigger threat than the hunting preserves.

02-Sep-14
CWD has only been around since we have had cervids. I doubt I will start worrying about it now. Oddly enough, I was a student at the University of Wyoming when it was "discovered". I didn't worry about it then, either.

02-Sep-14
No, I think it is overblown.

02-Sep-14
Coby, Without exception, every vigorous defense of pen deer shooting like yours that I have seen comes from someone who profits by it directly or indirectly. Mostly directly.

That is one of the problems with using the talking points of the deer breeders, we have all heard them before. Cite the same cases, same half truth's etc. They have a well funded lobby.

02-Sep-14
Fact is if the DNR or DOW or who ever your wild life officers are, and it dont matter what state you live. If they were SO worried about they would be testing every animal killed and it dont matter how it died. This is how its found inside a fence because EVERY animal that dies has to be tested. Coming straight from Indiana board of animal health ( Indiana only test .001% BECAUSE they know they will find it in the wild). But lets wait till its found inside the fence so we can blame them. CWD was found in New York from where? A taxidermist who had deer that had elk heads from out west!! Maybe the government should outlaw transporting animals from out west... How would that go over. CWD prion is also found in hay, how much hay is transported all over the country without be tested from endemic areas. Guys this subject is joke and always will be. But because of the government it is an issue!!

02-Sep-14
It has been around many many years in the wild and is nothing new. Game Dept's. just don't have anything to do (I guess) .....you can't stop or eliminate CWD ..... Mother Nature will take its course!....jmho

02-Sep-14
I live in Colorado in the heart of the the CWD hot spot. It resulted in decimating our deer herd...sort of. The actual disease killed some but the culling (in an effort to stall it) was 10X worse. Whitetails bounced back but muleys were already declining in general (like all over the west) and they don't rebound quickly.

02-Sep-14
Yes, Ranger is simply reading from the play book of the pen shooting business. A business that needs to go away. ASAP.

02-Sep-14
Yes, CWD was discovered in WI in 2001. The infection rate is now increasing yearly and the disease has spread to many counties. It is not going to get better.

02-Sep-14
JTV I can see your wasnt at the statehouse, yes you deer hunting guys were buddy, buddy with HSUS and PETA. Then Kip Adams from QDMA talked and made a COMPLETE fool of himself. Maybe I am reading from a book.... The book of facts. I just witnessed 400 HEALTHY deer be killed because of this. MANY bucks over 300 lbs. And its sickning to think that out of those 400 they MIGHT find another positive. I get guys like you Hale that come hunt with us that totally bad mouth us, but because they have a father or somebody else that can not go out on there own leave with a diffrent look on most preserves. Yes there are bad apples, I will admit that, but there are guys like me that when you come hunt your gonna bust your a$$. And yes guys leave all the time without an animal. JTV I know MANY guys that are members of Indiana bow hunters and there are way more guys on my side than you think..... Have 6 of your guys coming to hunt hogs and deer this weekend.

02-Sep-14
Hey Ranger, How big is your pen?

02-Sep-14
"way more guys on my side than you think." Though crudely stated, that is from the playbook as well.

Every poll of hunters that I am aware of has shown a that hunters are strongly opposed to high fence killing. Odds are normally over 85% against IIRC.

The only supporters are the ones doing it, earning a living from it or being bribed by those who do. Otherwise ZERO support from the public.

02-Sep-14
According to his website, he has 100 acres with 25 inside the fence and a veterinary wife to tend to the sick and the wounded.

02-Sep-14
Hale.... Thats my farm. Not the preserve. Preserve is 370 acres in the foothills of the appalacian mountains. So how good a shape you in!!

02-Sep-14
No, and I live in Western WI. So WI has a CWD zone, with a kill eradicate everything attitude. How frequent is CWD in that area still? I have no clue. Then a few years ago SE MN finds a deer with CWD. They go in and bait, shoot a thousand deer and don't come across another case of CWD in that area. Where and how did that lone deer get CWD? And, they allow the sharp shooters to use bait. So they claim baiting spreads disease, but the prions can live in the ground for years, so what about the water sources, or plants growing in the ground where the prions are? I just find it ironic they claim bait spreads disease, but allows bait for quick eradication methods.

Too many unanswered questions and the state agencies are clueless and make rash decisions to put the public at ease.

03-Sep-14
Ranger765 Im with you all the way with living in Wisconsin and seeing what the DNR has done with our heard it is a JOKE, Saving white deer, but shoot everyother deer, bait ok in some areas but not in others, private, public tags really it just sucks hunting here anymore. I could go on and on but just get more pissed every time I think about it

03-Sep-14
I am a veterinarian and as Yoda says when Luke says he is not afraid: "You will be!"

I am convinced that CWD is a man made disease in the pens of Colorado State universities in the 50s. Pretty strong evidence to back that up.

The scary part of CWD?? ALL other forms a spongioform encephalopathy can be eradicated by depopulation (killing all infected/exposed individuals), but NOT CWD. It apparently can live in the soil for years

I have deer farms as clients, so I try and see both sides of the issue, but where CWD is concerned, what we do know scares the H@LL out of me. We have it is Texas already (mule deer in west Texas), but I fear that it will be moved further in the state by the transport of infected deer (illegally) from out of state.

03-Sep-14

happygolucky's Link
Here is a snippet on the report from WI. The prevalence has increased a lot and it will continue to rise.

"Since 2002, chronic wasting disease (CWD) prevalence within our western monitoring area has shown an overall increasing trend in all sex and age classes. During the past 12 years, the trend in prevalence in adult males has risen from 8-10 percent to nearly 25 percent, and in adult females from about 3-4 percent to more than 10 percent. During that same time, the prevalence trend in yearling males has increased from about 2 percent to about 7 percent and in yearling females from roughly 2 percent to about 6 percent."

03-Sep-14
Happy, I have read this report but mean nothing unless every deer taken is tested.

03-Sep-14
Not sure I agree Zebra. When tested deer (was a requirement in the CWD zones) goes up from low percentages to 25% in bucks, the prevalence rate is increasing and pretty quickly. The % are based off the tested deer. In the last 2 years, deer with CWD have been found in counties away from the CWD zone where that was not true before. Therefore, the spread of infected deer is now reaching areas outside of the initial CWD zone. This spread is not going to slow down.

03-Sep-14
Agree on % yes but I think if we tested 30 years ago we would have same results

03-Sep-14
These graphs give no info at all. How many animals were tested!! Some states test 100 deer one year and a 1000 the next. percentages can make a world of of diffrence between the two. And take Illinois, ALL animals tested positive are from the wild and 0 from inside a fence, and I promise you there are more tested inside the fence then in the wild. The true fact is where ever CWD is found next, there will be a 100 times more deer killed by a bullet than CWD Another question is WHY is the male more likely to have CWD than does? Makes ya wonder..... I have also heard that trauma to the head can have a link to a positive test.

03-Sep-14
Not really but this is what the experts in West Virginia say:

Since chronic wasting disease was found in a single Hampshire County deer in 2006, the disease has spread steadily to encompass roughly 108 square miles of Hampshire and Hardy counties.

The numbers are in, and to deer hunters they’re discouraging.

They show that chronic wasting disease is spreading inside West Virginia, and it’s infecting more deer in areas where it occurs. Jim Crum, deer project leader for the state Division of Natural Resources, called statistics from the agency’s latest CWD sampling effort “unsettling.”

“Of the 591 tissue samples we extracted from hunter-killed deer last fall in Hampshire County, 29 were positive for CWD,” Crum said. “That’s the highest number of positives we’ve ever had. The year before, by way of comparison, we took 672 samples and got 16 positives.”

03-Sep-14
"Another question is WHY is the male more likely to have CWD than does? Makes ya wonder"

Because they wander more to breed does/more exposure potential

Don't know the numbers in Texas, but we have tested a ton of deer and so far not one positive in whitetail (except in West Texas mule deer) If it were here since time began, where are the positives here??

03-Sep-14
It always starts around a captive herd.

04-Sep-14
Hale again your wrong!!! Why does Illinois have CWD and ZERO has been found in captive herds!!! Same saying goes if hunter harvest was tested 100% like the captive herd then the results would show more positives in the wild. But the government will not go for that. The herd I seen get killed could be a real game changer, because the USDA needed more samples to confirm a live test for CWD because they have a test now thats working. When this gets approved the government will not know what to do, because the captive herd will prove that its the most healthy deer out there. And you will see this approved within a couple years.

04-Sep-14
Look forward to that test getting approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

04-Sep-14
That test being approved for live deer could be a real game changer, I could see the cost of high fence hunts skyrocket if that test became mandatory.

04-Sep-14
Never have understood why anyone would want to shoot a penned domesticated animal, Deer, Elk, Hog, Exotics etc.

That is not hunting it is simply shooting, no skill involved at all.

04-Sep-14
Rock, heard that exact thing last weekend. Had a guy hog hunting last week. First thing he said when he got out of the truck.... This is not gonna take long??? He hunted 3 days and left with 0. He left knowing he got his butt kicked. So dont knock the good ones till you try a GOOD one!! This same guy said I never get vacation time away and my place is gonna be his vacation from now on. He rebooked 5 diffrent dates before he left. And yes its for hogs and deer.

04-Sep-14
"Why does Illinois have CWD and ZERO has been found in captive herds!!! "

Illinois got their CWD from WI. First case was right over the border from the CWD zone in WI.

The general consensus was that WI got CWD from a captive animal but that can not be proven.

• Sitka Gear