Elk
Contributors to this thread:
Bo Covington 02-Sep-14
IdyllwildArcher 02-Sep-14
TwoDogs@work 02-Sep-14
Bo Covington 02-Sep-14
Bo Covington 02-Sep-14
02-Sep-14
Will be in Grand Mesa last week of season - I know many variables but what is the typcial elevation Elk are located after two week of bow and muzzleloader immediate week prior?

02-Sep-14
I've never hunted there, but with what I know about pressured CO zones, I'd bet the grade would matter more than the elevation.

02-Sep-14
I have hunted the Grand Mesa several times and elevation will probably have little to do with where the elk are located. They will most likely be where they can avoid pressure at that time as long as food and water available which is the case on most of the Mesa.

02-Sep-14

02-Sep-14
Will be hunting a large canyon that is accessed only by horseback.

Have hunted south of Collbran around the Bohnam Reservior for 5 or 6 years but hunters are starting to outnumber the elk in that area. A couple of locals that we have developed a relationship with over the years contend that the Elk generally start high at beginning of season and work their way down to the pinion pines by late Sept. appx 7,500-8,000 ft

This years camp is at 7,800 ft we camped at 10,800 ft last year the second week in September. While chances may be better of getting elk early in season, I am driving 1,200 miles one way to get there. I want to see some golden aspens if driving that far! So changed back to last week of season

• Sitka Gear