Shiloh 04-Sep-14
midwest 04-Sep-14
Rut Nut 05-Sep-14
Rut Nut 05-Sep-14
buzz mc 05-Sep-14
buzz mc 05-Sep-14
buzz mc 05-Sep-14
02-Sep-14
This post is more to encourage guys to get into shape and that it is never to late.

Lets here some good stories about getting back in shape (or staying in shape).

I always worked out hard with free weights - but I was never in good cardio shape until I started to train for my big game hunts out west. They have kept me in shape from age 30 to age 43 (which I am now).

It has helped me stay healthy.

Despite never having been a runner I ran a 1/2 marathon this spring and I am running a full marathon the end of this month. Until this year I ran over 5 miles exactly once, 6-/12 miles.

To quote Anthony Hopkins in The Edge, "What one man can do another man can do". I hated running, if I can do it so can you!

Several guys here helped me out quit a bit (Thanks Carl).

Good luck, train hard and to quote C Hanes "I will accept no excuses and produce only results".

Take care guys and lets here about your workouts

02-Sep-14

DonVathome's embedded Photo

02-Sep-14

NvaGvUp's Link
Way to go, Don!

Guys, see the link to a recent Bowsite Feature on fitness from a fellow bowhunter and a reasonably accomplished marathoner (2:36:14 PR) and ultra-distance trail runner (multiple 100 mile mountain trail races), me. lol

Over the past several years I've coached several hunters and fellow Bowsiters, (including Cameron, for the Western States 100) on fitness for hunting the mountains as well as running marathons and ultras.

If I can help you, just ask. There's no charge. I just do it to help.

02-Sep-14
You are the man Kyle!!

That is why you are still doing what you do every year.

I always trained for marathons for personal goals and for stress relief during my first marriage/divorce, fighting for visitation ect.

Magazines like Runner and Outside had great articles for training advice from the pro runners.

It was my self confidence that kept me motivated.

My hips and shins would kill me some days!! haha

Keep the faith and you will complete your first marathon DV.

Good luck, Robb

02-Sep-14
Guys,

If you're interested in personal advice or coaching, e-mail me @ [email protected] after Sept. 10th or so. I'm leaving tomorrow AM for a UT archery elk hunt and will be back on Sept. 13 at the latest.

02-Sep-14

TREESTANDWOLF's MOBILE embedded Photo
TREESTANDWOLF's MOBILE embedded Photo

I admit, hanging in the back ground, reading all the posts on how much guys prepare, it was an awakening on what needed to be done to hunt in the mountains. Running has never been a joy for me so I opted for biking about 80 miles a week, mixed with hiking with a weighted pack and mixed with weight training.

Currently I'm down to 214 from 230 lbs from the excersize and diet. I truthfully haven't felt this good in a long , long time!

It is never to late, its a lifestyle change.

I'm definitely at the point where I'm going to more.

Great subject and yes anyone can do it.

02-Sep-14
TREESTANDWOLF,

Great post!

You are 100% correct that anyone can do it. Positive thinking gets positive results. Negative thinking, not so much.

But who here wants to be around negative people anyway?

Well done!

02-Sep-14

Paladin's embedded Photo
Paladin's embedded Photo
Four years ago I was planning my first DIY solo trip to Colorado. I wanted to be in the best shape possible and decided to step up my training with some Sprint Triathlons. I have to admit though, triathlons, which began as just preparation for my true passion of archery hunting have become another passion altogether. We have outgrown the Sprints and stepped it up to Half Ironman and Full Ironman. This is a shot from Louisville Ironman last weekend.

I understand that some folks scoff at the idea of dedicating so much effort toward being in shape to hunt. I do it out of respect for the animal, the sport, and my fellow sportsmen. Thanks to all the bowsite folks for fueling both passions and good luck to everyone this season!

Paladin

02-Sep-14
Kudos Don! When I finished my first 1/2, my wife asked me later that day if I would ever run a full. Without hesitation I stated yes.

Like many guys, I was a late bloomer. I started running due to the simplicity. I realized that working out for 2-3 months wasn't erasing 2-3 years of sins. I decided the best way to prepare physically was not fall out of shape.

Started running on Feb 1 2007. I have now finished numerous 1/2's, 9 marathons, 3 50K's and my first 50 miler in June. (I am 48 years old).

As far as training, I am a high mileage guy. I have run enough marathons to know I work best with a slightly shorter training cycle (14-15 weeks) I typically start official training with 40-50 MPW avg for at least a month. Most of my miles (80% or so) are 75-90 sec slower than my marathon pace. (If I am trying for a PR).

I do speed work, but I generally am walking a tight rope. I am more prone injury with speed. Mile repeats and tempo runs are my bread and butter. For tempo, after warm up miles, I'll run 20-45 minutes at a pace between 10K and 1/2 marathon pace. And then cool down.

I advise only incorporating speed until your complete at least one if not two marathons. There is so much to learn about yourself before adding in that dynamic. IMHO.

I have logged more than 2000 miles per year, 5 years in a row.

Training isn't always fun. But you only get out of it what you put in. I never cheat myself.

Believe it or not, you can run for fun. When I am done with my target race, I run whenever I feel likely and however far I want. It might be for 5 miles. Next time it might be a 14 miler.

I also XT with emphasis on core and other cardio. EX Biking, elliptical, rowing, Stairmaster, crunches, pushups, planks, etc. I am adding these things in at least 3 times a week.

Keep in touch Don and thanks for checking in.

02-Sep-14
Nicely said Paladin.

I am a part time hunter chasing a full time elk. I need to narrow that gap somehow!

02-Sep-14
Late bloomer here also. 1st half in the bag this year. Next spring I've committed to a full marathon. I think I'm doing a tough mudder with Midwest??? PM me buddy.

It's a life decision as much at anything. Be healthier because you want to be healthier longer. I want to be here longer for my son.

I'll be chasing elk this Saturday in MT and know that my training will pay dividends and break my archery elk curse.

02-Sep-14
Good job Don and Treestand! Like Z, I completed my first 50 miler this year. Next year I may change it up completely and focus on doing a 50 mile mountain bike race and do running as my cross train exercise.

Whatever you do, have fun with it!

02-Sep-14
I ran my first marathon in late January of 1979. 3:26 and at ~the 22 mile mark I walked for a few minutes.

On the first Saturday of May that same year I ran a 2:58, felt great at the end and at that point realized I had serious potential.

In late Sept. the following year, I ran 2:36:14. That works out to an average pace of 5:58/mile.

You have no idea what you are capable of until you try!

02-Sep-14
For my elk hunt work out I start with 25-30# on the pack frame, 3 mile walk with half it up 9% grade takes me about an hour... after 3 weeks 40#, I stared July 31...as of today I have 14 trips so far...I used to do 50 but my knees ,hips and feet just hurt. I am 55 years old. I always wondered how the people that run the races, how they work out? I will never do any running cause of the bad joint problems that run in my family. So I would like to know also what is the best supplement to keep the joints healthy.

02-Sep-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Nothing more fun than working out with family and friends! I'll be doing a half marathon this weekend with my youngest daughter and a few friends.

Variety is key to keeping things interesting and keep your fitness from plateauing. I love to do all kinds of different workouts pushing myself to my limits and beyond. Working with a trainer changed my life and now I do workouts or runs with friends a couple times a week as well as my solo training. It makes all the difference in the world to keeping me on track, keep it competitive, and fun!

Bill, sent you a PM, Chicago, May 2015!

Paladin, Ironman....wow! Much respect!

03-Sep-14

Duke's embedded Photo
Duke's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp, those are some incredible numbers! I began running after first of three children was born simply to get some unhealthy weight off and to focus myself on living a long, healthy life for my family... Since then I graduated to 5ks, halfs, and fulls. I usually log somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-50 miles/week now depending on where I am at with training and do some heavy lifting in addition during the winter months. I will never win a big race as my 6'4" frame just isn't made for that kind of speed, but continue to work to get PRs whether it's a local 5k or full. I did break the tape a couple times this summer and PR'd a 5k and full within a week, which was cool. Best feeling is seeing the smiles on the family at the end of a run or race!

This photo was taken Sunday morning as we did "family one mile testing" at a local track. :)

03-Sep-14
Paladin - "I do it out of respect for the animal, the sport, and my fellow sportsmen"

If you are doing full Ironmans, I hope that you are doing some of it for Paladin also!

03-Sep-14

Straight —» Arrow's embedded Photo
Straight —» Arrow's embedded Photo
I had a very bad broken leg once from a skiing accident. They put 26 titanium screws and two steel plates in to finally fix it after months of external fixation, laying in bed and watching TV, reading every book every written and getting around in a wheel chair I was a physical wreck. Couldn't even walk up the stairs without becoming exhausted and had no hope of running or really any normal exercise becuase at the time I couldn't even hardly walk.

One of my old room mates was just getting out of the army at the time and was doing a lot of triathlons and inspired me to start swimming since I couldn't do anything else. He did this in his unique special operations way by cursing me and calling me a lazy and and idiot for a solid five minutes without ever repeating himself once......but it worked.

I have swam almost 5000 miles since then and I rarely miss a day. I'm going to try for the 20+ miles to catalina or around Manhattan island one of these days soon.

As far as my old room mate? I swim the 5K Tampa Bay Frogman swim in his memory every year now.

03-Sep-14
Wish I had a nickel for every screw I know of from skiing.

The difference of hunting in shape and out is amazing.

Recovery time and pure stamina will dramatically increase the enjoyment.

Plus makes it easier to get all that meat out.

03-Sep-14

Burro's Link
It all flows together for me: that need for competition and getting in shape for hunting season. I have a blog that reports my races, training and a few hunts.

03-Sep-14
I couldn't open the link, but saw its properties and here it is: www.FeralPursuits.blogspot.com

Good stuff.

03-Sep-14
The good news for me is.....I can ski better than I ever could now and I'm in much better shape.

03-Sep-14

Thanks guys, it is good to heard from others. I seriously doubt I will run another. It is not good for the knees and I want to be able to hits the mountains hard for many more decades!

My girlfriend is also into fitness and she has been teaching me a lot, supporting me and motivating me. She has done competitive dance and danced for the cavs a couple years ago - she trains HARD, even by guy standards.

My trips out west really helped motivate me to stay in shape and have made a big difference in my life.

03-Sep-14
Dang, Don! Found a new hottie already!

03-Sep-14
Don,

There is plenty of research to show that running does not damage healthy knees. Any activity, done improperly can damage knees, including biking.

03-Sep-14
JLS I have heard that, but I have also heard otherwise. Many docs and frankly my knees have only hurt after running.

It is impact and impact is not good.

03-Sep-14

JLS's Link
If your knees hurt from running, then it may be wise to find other alternatives. It could also be either a shoe or a form issue, both of which are easily remedied.

I'm not trying to change your mind here. Running CAN cause damage and injury, but usually that's a result of too much too soon, poor form, or a predisposition to arthritis or cartilage degeneration.

03-Sep-14

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
You guys should thank your fat friends

03-Sep-14
LMBO! Classic Dan! :)

03-Sep-14
Two guys were hiking in the mountains when all of a sudden an angry grizzly bear started towards them. The first guy immediately took off his hiking boots, reached into his pack and started putting on running shoes.

His pal looked at him incredulously and said, "Are you nuts? You can't outrun a bear!"

To which the first guy replied, "No, but I can outrun you!"

03-Sep-14
Love it Dan!

04-Sep-14
Hey Kyle- what is your PR for the 110 meter high hurdles? If it is 14.5 seconds or greater I will gladly elk hunt with you anytime! ;-)

04-Sep-14
I turned 50 this year lost 50 pounds ran my first half marathon (the Lincoln Half 50th anniversary race). I'm still looking to drop another 26 !! There is no finish line in fitness is what I have always be told and it is just a lifestyle change. Iam no athlete just want to live healthy enough to hunt elk till I'm 70!! Heading to Idaho in four days!!

Good Huntin!!

Rob

04-Sep-14
I was a pretty lazy guy this winter...I put on about 15 pounds. From 225 to 240. It took a lot of motivation this time around to diet and exercise. IDK why? I'm only 33. Anyways the woman I am seeing does a lot of mud runs and trains hard. She motivated/bullied me to sign up for the Pittsburgh Gladiator run coming up Sept. 20. I also have bad knees. Bone on bone and 6 surgeries later. I have been doing some light running, swimming, biking and my "rocky workouts" in the backyard. Tire flipping, rope slams with damaged rigging I took out of service. (safety guy, heavy construction)planks, core, push ups/pull ups etc, eating very clean. Lots of protein and fresh fruits and veggies. No soda, ice cream or fast food. I am back down to 225 and am trying to get down to around 210. Although she likes the fact that I am a big guy! lol for some strange reason, she likes my "little belly" I can already feel a difference scouting and getting around! Good luck to everyone else!

04-Sep-14
After reading through this thread last night I actually strapped on my headlamp, fanny pac with personal protection and running shoes and went for a 2 1/2 mile run down the road about 9:30 last night. Felt good! :)

04-Sep-14
Rut Nut

Funny you say that. I was going to bail on my Y workout and thought of this thread. 35 minutes on Stairmaster and my body was happy!

My dad always asks me "How are you knees?" Knees are fine. I have dinged other body parts. (Groin pull, calf strains, hamstrings wonky, etc)

Someone asked about supplements. I take MSM/Glucosamine, a multi vitamin and COQ10. Can't say if it makes a difference as I have been taking MSM ever since I started running (7 years) I consider it cheaper than a doctors visit. I take the multi-vitamin for the added iron. (I get low iron when I train hard). I started taking COQ10 just this year. It is supposed to help with recover/reducing soreness after long workouts. Again, cheap insurance.

And lastly, if I ever get the opportunity to hunt with BigDan, I will be worried if he is packing a .22 for bear protection. I think he might be planning to add 40 grain weights to my legs in a time of crisis!

04-Sep-14
I always thought running a marathon would be a great accomplishment. I trained hard for my first backcounty elk hunt and was in great shape at the conclusion of my hunt. I decided to keep after it in hopes of staying in shape for the next hunt. At that point, I decided to sign up for my first marathon. I only had 10 weeks to train before race time, but everything went fairly smoothly and I had a great time. The following week, I signed up for another marathon for the fall of the same year. I was able to beat my time by about 30 minutes and I also talked my wife into running it with me (her first marathon). That was a few years ago now and I haven't been able to commit the time to training for a full marathon since we have a young child and another one on the way. I have run half-marathons ever since though and really enjoy getting out for a run. For all those who have considered it, but are scared of the long distances, I say go for it. As soon as you establish a base (certain number of miles per week), those long runs get easier and easier.

04-Sep-14
I've been running about 3-4 miles 2-3 times per week for the last about 17 years. I've also been lifting weights for about 22 years. I'm 51 now and still am doing ok and am in decent shape. The thing that has been nagging me the last few years though, is calf pain. I don't know what the heck causes it, but I'll be running and all of a sudden I'll get sharp pain in my calves. Not cramps, just pain. When it happens, I'm usually out of commission for about 2 weeks. Anyone know anything about this? It is really frustrating.

04-Sep-14
Just left the doctor after getting my script for Diamox. The nurse took my resting HR and had such a puzzled look on her face. She thought I might need to be fitted for a pacemaker with a resting HR of 48. lol

...and I'd already had three cups of coffee!

04-Sep-14
In 2007 I started running at 240lb, I started by running one minute, walking one minute, etc.

I've steadily gotten in better shape, but finally figured out how to eat right in 2011. I'm now 190 and have done lots of triathlons (up to Olympic distance), 5k, 10k, and one half marathon. A full marathon is on the radar for next year, then maybe a 50 miler after that, we'll see.

Hunting is a lot more fun now that I can outpace the guys I used to struggle to keep up with!

04-Sep-14
12Yards - "I don't know what the heck causes it, but I'll be running and all of a sudden I'll get sharp pain in my calves"

Once you get old (I am about the same age), you have to keep an eye on the running muscles that tighten up. Look up calf exercises and stretches (there are 2 calf musles and you need to stretch each differently). If you end up with calfs that are too tight, then it will affect your achilles and that can be a longer injury.

Good luck.

04-Sep-14
Careful midwest, you'll take a header through the coffee table like George Bush. Just make a point never to jump out of a chair. lol

04-Sep-14
Started taking physical fitness serious when I turned 40. Can't put into words how much it has improved my life. Have run a full marathon a year ever since and I get just as much or maybe more "Mental Health" benefit as physical health benefit. Bow Hunting + healthy eating + endurance sports = good life!

04-Sep-14
Midwest that is funny and great!

Good for you

04-Sep-14
Bow Hunting + healthy eating + endurance sports = good life!

I haven't totally mastered the healthy eating part yet...I'm good for at least a gallon of ice cream a week.

04-Sep-14
When I was in the military I could run a 10k and barley break a sweat. I ran 2-3 miles everyday for years. A deep bone edema in my knee joint ended all that. I replaced it with the ski machine. I could not believe the difference it made in the overall strength of my knees. You could feel all the ligaments and muscles around the joint were being worked. Add in regular hikes with & without a pack up a 1,000 ft. hill and im able to maintain the same level of hunting.

04-Sep-14
Yep midwest. be careful standing up. Had the same thing going a couple of years ago. Had just completed two full rounds of p90x, dropped a few lbs and very low body fat. If I tried I could get my HR down in the high 30's. Resting hr somewhere between 43 and 48 depending on the day. Had to be careful standing up as I would get lightheaded...lol.

On the subject of running, 120 miles last month, most in a month since my lone marathon (3:45)Have run many, many halves (1:41 and change for a PR) and no desire to ever run another marathon...just too much of a time commitment. With all I have going on, I can't do it. I still run 3 to 4 times per week, anywhere from 6 to 10 miles per run, and that is good for me.

Need to get back on the bike too.

Would like to take a stab at some sprint tri's at some point though.

04-Sep-14
I love running. Nothing beats finishing work on a Friday and taking a good long run to clear my head going into the weekend. I've run many halves, and have trained for 2 marathons through the entire 18 weeks. I never actually ran any due to most marathons around here being during turkey season or deer season and the whole reason I do this is to stay in shape for hunting, not to take the place of hunting. I do plan on running the Cumberland Gap Trail Marathon next June, so I'll finally get one under my belt.

04-Sep-14

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
My hunting partner is going to participate in an Ironman this weekend and a few days later we will be leaving for our elk hunt. I appreciate and respect the effort he makes to stay in shape and the efforts of all you other marathon and Ironman types.

My approach to getting into shape and staying in shape is a little more passive. I used to run and it hurt my knees and I didn’t enjoy it very much. I work in a river bluff city that has a lot of hills and steep outdoor stairways. Last year I started doing some stairs. There are 157 stairs from top to bottom and I do them 3 to 7 times, 2-3 times per week. Sometimes I run, sometimes I walk, sometimes I do a little of both. They are a great workout and they have been adopted by one of the fitness clubs in town.

My legs are in the best shape of my life, my knees are stronger and don’t hurt and my girlfriend appreciates the fact that my legs and butt are rock hard. The stairs workout is good cardio too.

I also lift weights during the winter months and do a lot of active things like splitting all my firewood by hand with a splitting maul.

My life is too busy and I enjoy too many activities to be obsessed with physical fitness or running marathons or doing Ironman events. That being said, I will turn 54 before this year’s elk hunt is over and I am in better shape than anybody my age that I know personally. And I’ve always been able to get it done on my elk hunts.

04-Sep-14

Oh, and my girlfriend is not a competitive dancer but she's an RN and very health conscious. She works out nearly every day, eats very healthy and is helping me with that. She's 10 years younger than me and helps me a lot with my physical fitness :^)

04-Sep-14
Hell I might just leave my truck in Montana and jog to Arizona with my camper on my back. And just take a knife and run down my elk!

04-Sep-14
Mike,

Your daughter is a looker!!;)

04-Sep-14
Atta boy, Mike!

Man, I wish I had a stairway like that close to home!

05-Sep-14
Dan- that might put alot of strain on your back. Better just pull it(like in those strong man competitions ;-)

05-Sep-14

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Speaking of bears, this is one of my favorite T-shirts! :)

05-Sep-14

buzz mc's embedded Photo
buzz mc's embedded Photo
I'm lucky to live just 30 minutes from the Smoky Mountains and my wife and I spend most Sundays hiking.

05-Sep-14

buzz mc's embedded Photo
buzz mc's embedded Photo

05-Sep-14
TBM'ed it

• Sitka Gear