phutch30 26-Sep-14
Ace 26-Sep-14
mn_archer 26-Sep-14
T Bone 26-Sep-14
Mule Power 27-Sep-14
MaBow 29-Sep-14
CurveBow 29-Sep-14
06-Sep-14
My entire backpack camp was stolen in a remote area of La Plata county Colorado over Labor Day weekend.

Please keep an eye out for:

1)- Spotting scope: Minox MD62 ED with 21-42 L.E.R. eyepiece. Model # 62212 Serial # 61000105.

2)- Vortex Ridgeline tripod

3)- Mountain Hardware 3 man tent

4)- Marmot Flathead 20 degree Long model sleeping bag

5)- Big Agnes Q-Core sleeping pad

6)- MSR Rocket stove

7)- Olicamp XTS cook pot

Authorities have been contacted.

This has really put a crimp in my mountain goat hunt.

Please keep an eye out at pawn shops, Craigslist, etc.

Cash reward offered.

06-Sep-14
Makes my blood boil. I can't believe how low people can be. Sad, real sad. I hope you get your gear back and this crook locked up. I also hope some how you can complete your hunt.

06-Sep-14
That sucks, Tyson! How far or remote were you?

06-Sep-14
Buttheads are everywhere. Sorry to hear.

06-Sep-14
Boy I am sorry to hear that. There are just some low life people around. Sure sorry for you and all the frustration and consequences it has and will cause. Keep after the goat! Best wishes.

06-Sep-14
Disgusting!

Truly sorry.

Hope things workout for you.

06-Sep-14
TBONE THAT SUCS but try not to let it ruin your hunt , I have a jetboil u can use !!!!!

06-Sep-14
Wow that's crazy. So you were out hunting and they stole your whole camp?

06-Sep-14
Man does that make me sick! Isn't that area fairly accessible?

06-Sep-14
Sickening! I had a ton of gear stolen out of my truck in the driveway a couple years ago($7k) after loading it for a hunt the night before...it is a horrible feeling.

This year at our Elk camp I had trail cams set up and caught a few "lookers" but no "takers".

Hope you get your stuff back man!

06-Sep-14
Wow that is a nightmare come true. So sorry to hear that. Best of luck

06-Sep-14
I'm not hunting Chicago Basin. I like to be different and do it the hard way. :)

I've been in this area scouting all summer. There are some great billies in the area. Two are exceptional.

My last scouting trip in late August, I decided to cache my gear since I'd be back in one week. It's 3.5 miles from the nearest trail, 7 miles in from a trailhead.

Where do you buy gear late in the evening on Labor Day? Walmart to the rescue. Their gear isn't just heavy, it's bulky too.

See preseason scouting and hunt pictures at this thread..

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=259735

Any help with gear recovery is much appreciated.

New sleeping bag, stove, and pot should arrive Tuesday. Should be back on the mountain Wednesday afternoon.

06-Sep-14
TBone, I hope you get a chance at "horse". After your camp being stolen, you certainly deserve a few breaks.

Hard to fathom the type of individual(s) that would do something like that, not to mention if you were in a serious situation and needed your camp supplies to survive. There are some real foul people out there, but you would hope not to run across them in as beautiful setting as packed into the back country. Makes you wonder...

Great scouting photos, sure hope you end this with a huge Billy.

If you have pictures of your camp and gear, that might help too.

06-Sep-14
That is disgusting!!

I can imagine what that may do to your hunt.

I would be glad to send you some gear to borrow for your hunt if needed.

06-Sep-14
That's terrible. Here's to hoping Karma will make it up to you somehow.

06-Sep-14
Man that is terrible to hear hope something good comes back around to you

06-Sep-14
I'm sorry to hear that. It's really hard to find someone's cache like that so far back in unless they were watching you. Too bad you couldn't have made it to Farmington and ran into Sportsmans Warehouse for some gear that late. I'll keep my eyes and ears open.

07-Sep-14
Do think someone found it and thought it was abandoned or lost gear?

07-Sep-14
TBone:

I am curious, what you mean by cached. Did you have your gear hidden, or just left in the open, set up. If it were hidden, what are the odds that someone just happened to stumble upon it? I would think astronomical. May want to see who has guiding rights in the area, and mention it to them.

Dave

07-Sep-14
I grew up in the BX I hate to say this but its hard to trust folks even out in the wild . Hunted once with Bigdan he would leave all camp stuff out and unlocked this is very unnatural for me he laughed as I locked my trailer and truck as we left camp ! Dans friend just hunted Utah he called me and said wow I guess a guy ran out of fuel up there , I asked why , cause my fuel tanks were taken he said.. If a guy was in trouble ran out of fuel wouldn't he leave some sign anything ,,, The scum stole his extra fuel just because it was there . And the sad thing is it had to be another hunter !!!

07-Sep-14
By cached I mean to say all gear was gathered in a tarp, bundled, put inside a black heavy duty garbage bag and covered with rocks.

It's 3.5 miles from the nearest trail. 7 miles from the trailhead.

Highly unlikely a recreational hiker just stumbled on it.

I'm hoping that law enforcement will follow up promptly as I think it's fairly obvious who did the deed.

07-Sep-14
You were under surveillance while you were there. How else could anyone know where to look? Remote location and still find your camp?, dont buy it, either someone knew where you had your camp, or someone saw you during the last scouting trip. I dont know the laws in your state, but, if legal carry a gun for your own protection. Very sorry this happened to you, but, IMHO, you were targeted.

07-Sep-14
I Hate Thieves with a passion!.....even IF someone found it and 'thought' it was abandoned.....you DON'T touch or take someone Else's "stuff" ....NEVER!

I Hope You Get A MONSTER GOAT!....

07-Sep-14
Very sorry to hear of this and hope you get your things back. Have to say this is one of my fears when leaving base camp and going in for three or four days of spike camp. Just have a sick feeling my base camp will not be there when I return. I have been lucky so far.

07-Sep-14
TBone: Sounds like you took every reasonable precaution. I hope they catch the scum bags.

08-Sep-14
I just read your posts at the link you provided. Just looking at the country makes my knees hurt! Any chance someone recognized the area from all the photos you posted?

Your hunt is a great story. Good luck on the rest of your hunt!

Dwayne

08-Sep-14
You are in the midst of one epic tale once you get that goat arrowed. Great story so far. I wish you would have posted it on Bowsite. It sounds like you know the responsible individual, and if that one is truly responsible, all I can say is hang'em high. Good luck with the new gear and the rest of the hunt! By the way, O&B would not be a bad consolation prize.

08-Sep-14
Best of Luck getting that goat! If you still need stuff, let us know. I'm willing to help. God Bless!

Nick

08-Sep-14
That's my worst fear while hunting. The scary part is it would be so angry especially if it was my truck they were screwing with someone could end up with an arrow up there backside. I know if they had a vehicle there would be an arrow through the radiator. Sorry to hear that man.

08-Sep-14
There's some truly low life people out there.

I recently had the receiver hitch on my truck stolen. I'm not using this to compare to your woes, I'm not even mad. I'm more dumb-founded that some person would take the time and effort, to steal a rusted, beat up hitch, that can be bought at Wal-Mart for $20

I just don't get it

Bake

08-Sep-14
Looking at your blog… Probably the sheep herder, eh?

08-Sep-14
Could it possibly have been a Bear that may have dragged it off?

08-Sep-14
Got gear to give you if you need it bud. Just pm. Hate to hear this. Good luck and God Bless

08-Sep-14
Dirt bags

10-Sep-14
oooouuuucccchhh sorry. Lotta hunters and hikers up there. FOR SURE contact RR (assuming you were in Chicago basin), might be obvious when someone comes back down with a LOT more gear then they went up with! Those guys are pretty attentive/observant.

Also they might have moved it to come back for it later. I had that happen with a stolen treestand a long time ago, found it hidden 100 yards away years later.

Good luck

Don

10-Sep-14
Downright criminal. hope you catch the SOB's and have em arrested.

Well, your due some good karma now. Good luck on your hunt.

Bill V

10-Sep-14
Look forward to reading that they got caught.

10-Sep-14
Sorry to hear that. Usually thieves are lazy also, but apparently not in this case. We all realize our vehicles are vulnerable, but 3 miles in?? I suppose it's time to etch or otherwise personalize all my gear, if it's coming to that. I've thought about a trail cam also.

Being as how you appear to have some idea of who the likely thief is, any advice you can give the rest of us to minimize the chances of backcountry theft? Ghillie tarp?

10-Sep-14
Archer136 X2

Did you see anybody when you were there previously?

10-Sep-14
This frickin sucks. Best of luck to you.

10-Sep-14
Damn, hate to hear this...Not sure what I have in the way of gear you'd need, but if I can send anything let me know...

18-Sep-14

T Bone's embedded Photo
T Bone's embedded Photo
Got a shot at a billy Tuesday morn.

Found the arrow.

18-Sep-14
T Bone...Congrats on a very nice billy (and frontal!!)!!!

Way to stick with it and overcome all the adversity and BS you had to deal with on this hunt!!!

Mark

18-Sep-14
SWEET! Congrats and well deserved.

Glad you were able to find the arrow LOL

18-Sep-14
Nice goat! Sorry about the loss of your gear.

18-Sep-14
Awesome! So happy for you man.

18-Sep-14
Great Job! congrats on keeping at it.. still sucks to have all the stolen stuff, but hopefully there's a little silver lining

18-Sep-14
Let's go Tyson...we need more details! Ha!

Mark

18-Sep-14
Man, great goat, bad story above....makes me think a trail cam needs to be set to watch your stuff....unbelieveable

18-Sep-14
Great goat. You flew in the face of adversity and got it done! Congrats.

18-Sep-14
Congratulations... very nice. Way to hang in there!!!

18-Sep-14
Congrats man!!! Thats awesome. I'm not much on goats. is it me or are those horns preety long?

You may not want to hear this but, "That stolen equipment makes that goat that much sweeter"

Glad it all worked out for you. That equipment will be bad karma to the a-----e that stole it.

Good for you bud.

Bill V.

18-Sep-14
AWESOME! Can't wait to hear the details. While it sucks - your stolen equipment will make the memories sweeter...

Way to overcome!!

18-Sep-14
Congrats T Bone on a very nice Billy. Hope the rest of the story ends with you getting your gear back or equitable compensation.

18-Sep-14
Nice way to bounce back!!! Looks like a real good billy.

Congrats

18-Sep-14
Congrats ! I hate a thief but that would make it a little bit easier to deal with.

18-Sep-14

T Bone's embedded Photo
T Bone's embedded Photo
My son and I with my Billy.

For those that still have a G5 tag. That saddle shaped mountain over my son's left shoulder holds the two giant billies I've been chasing.

From the top, you can anchor and rappel down 90 feet to a catwalk. Carefully follow that to there little perch.

Looking at it from this side made it appear kind of silly. At the time it was genius.

I'll be glad to share info.

18-Sep-14
Congrats great billy! Sorry about the loss of your gear.

18-Sep-14
BAD TO THE BONE T! Way to get it done under some ridiculously tough circumstances! Huge Congratulations!

18-Sep-14
awesome!

18-Sep-14
Just a little rappelling ,Love it. Great shot. Congrats!

18-Sep-14
Wow, nice goat, congratulations!

18-Sep-14
Nice goat!congrats! Sorry to hear about the scumbag who stole your stuff.

Guys, I own one trail cam and it's not for seeing deer it's for scumbags. For you guys on these wilderness hunts who think no one will take anything need to do the same. Get a cam and set it up on your camp when your away, doesn't prevent theft but it sure will help in catching the scum who ripped you off and they are not expecting a trail cam on your tent.

18-Sep-14
T Bone, congrats awesome job!

DJ

18-Sep-14
Wow, great ending!!

18-Sep-14
Congrats. Love the smiles. Sorry about the gear.

18-Sep-14
Congratulations and glad it came together for you.

18-Sep-14
Congrats!!!

18-Sep-14
Well done!

18-Sep-14
Awesome. Way to make up for such a awful thing as thieves almost ruining the entire hunt.

Looks like if you ever go back you might have to hid your gear in a tree top.

18-Sep-14
Congratulations on your goat. Beautiful. Let's hear the story. Any word for the authorities on your gear?

18-Sep-14
Congratulations! I am glad that it worked out for you.

18-Sep-14
Congrats on a sweet trophy! Mike

19-Sep-14
Truly impressive! Great goat looking goat! That's cool that your still willing to help out the next guy too!

19-Sep-14
Great looking goat. Congrats.

19-Sep-14
HECK.... YEAH! Way to cap off a great adventure. Maybe you can get your stuff back for some icing on the cake.

23-Sep-14
Just received a phone call from La Plata county sheriff dept. They have recovered some, possibly all of my gear.

Waiting for a call back for a complete inventory......please include the spotting scope!!!!!

Hopefully I'll have more details soon.

23-Sep-14
Hope it works out for you. Do they have the suspect?

23-Sep-14
I never really had an itch for MT. Goat hunting but this has done it. Way to adapt, adjust and overcome. I hope I never catch anyone stealing from me. I don't think I would handle it well. I hope they find your stuff and those responsible. Great Billy.

23-Sep-14
I want to hear what the sherriff has to say about the gear,

Nice Goat

23-Sep-14
congrats on the goat and glad to see the gear (or at least some of it) was found!

23-Sep-14
That looks like a real good goat. Congrats

23-Sep-14
Congratulations on a beautiful and well deserved animal!

23-Sep-14
Great goat! Congratulations!

23-Sep-14
Nice turn of events...I too am curious about the story on the gear.

23-Sep-14
Can't wait to hear the circumstances.. Good luck

23-Sep-14
Congrats on your goat! Nice! Hopefully you get your spotting scope too.

23-Sep-14
"From the top, you can anchor and rappel down 90 feet to a catwalk. Carefully follow that to there little perch."

You lost me at "rappel". Awesome trophy and to hell with the thieving bastards

23-Sep-14
Awesome job! Also glad to hear they found your gear.

24-Sep-14
is it just Colorado but dang I here this about all the time in colorado

24-Sep-14
Casper, as a Colorado resident I'm a little offended by that comment. I'm assuming it's the thief's fault, not the state. I'm pretty sure whitetail stands, cameras, and other hunting gear stolen in other states is a topic here all the time. And more importantly, not in Colorado

24-Sep-14
"From the top, you can anchor and rappel down 90 feet to a catwalk. Carefully follow that to there little perch."

LOL you are gonna give some of these old duffers a heart attack!

Great looking billy, the other 2 must have been huge.

congratulations. also curious to hear how they found the gear. that's awesome and hopefully it wasn't just anonymously (is that how its spelled????) found in a pawn shop,

michael

24-Sep-14
Nice Goat congrats ! Did you get all your stuff back ?

24-Sep-14
Congratulations on the awesome goat! I hope you get all your stuff back.....

>>>>-------->

24-Sep-14
Great goat. Congratulations.

24-Sep-14

Obviously not the t-bone ya see on tv with Waddell.... =D

Great job, Congrats!

Thieves suck, but thieves all the way up there??? Sheep herders? Outfitters? Hippies on mushrooms? I guess you/they might have had an idea about who it may have been if they've found some of the gear. Good deal. That would be the icing on the cake.

Now.... about the story of the hunt......

24-Sep-14
Congratulations on your goat. You sir are one hard core hunter. Sure do hope you get your gear back.

24-Sep-14
TD he put the hunt story on Randy Newberg's site here.

24-Sep-14
Congrats TBone on the goat and awesome news on your gear! Must have been two great days.

24-Sep-14
I really respect how you handled the entire situation. A HUGE congratulations on a well deserved and hard earned goat!

24-Sep-14
Congrats on the billy, hopefully they recover the gear and arrest the guy.

25-Sep-14
Great news.

Almost all the gear has been recovered.

I pick it all up tomorrow morn. Hopefully it's in decent shape. Especially the spotter.

As suspected, the sheepherder did the deed.

They got him when they brought the sheep off the mountain.

Kudos to the La Plata County Sheriff Department, and to the owner of the sheep. He took the situation seriously.

25-Sep-14
Great news.... all the way around! Congratulations! Mike

25-Sep-14
Glad you got your stuff back.

25-Sep-14
So the nice little guy from Peru who moved the sheep for you took your stuff? Awful nice of him wasn't it. Probably told them you forgot it and was bringng it down for you. Glad it was recovered!

25-Sep-14
Great Billy...

25-Sep-14
No way, those shepherds are totally on the level, every one of them... :)

25-Sep-14
Not all on the level... some of em need to stoop down a little, some need to find a flat rock to stand on....

Great news T-bone. Makes me want to go mark all my gear for sure.

Thanks for the heads up sticksender.

EDIT: great story, cool video, pics everything. Thanks again. Good luck to your son in boot camp.

25-Sep-14
Great goat, and glad you're getting your stuff back.

26-Sep-14
Good deal!!!! That makes for a great hunt!

26-Sep-14
Tbone, Congrats on a stud goat. Hey yes it sucks getting stuff stolen. But it could be much worse. I see you have your son there. Count your blessings. My lazy unemployed trailer trash ex took her 4 year degree and flushed it for 20 years. Then she embezzled all of my retirement money the court didn't give her. Worst was she poisoned the minds of the 3 sons I raised and supported unilaterally for 20 years. I'd give every bit of hunting equipment I have just to get any one son back alone from that chicken fried steak eatin Jerry Springer watching loser.

26-Sep-14
Man that is a great ending!!!

26-Sep-14
Tbone, Just curious, what were the horn lengths on that billy

26-Sep-14
I read the story on the other site, wow, is all I can say. You deserve a lot of credit, your son too.

The recovery of your gear makes it an even Greater ending to a great story. Not lost on me is the fact that your attitude kept you in the hunt when many would have felt beaten. You have a lot to be proud of, including raising a son who is becoming a good man. Hats off to you both.

26-Sep-14
im curious how it actually turns out. Here there would be no theft as anything left on public property becomes public property- including stands, trail cams, etc.

michael

26-Sep-14
billy was a young one with a small body. 8 1/8" horns. Literally half the body size of the two I'd been targeting.

Got most of the gear back today.

The spotter has been monkeyed with but is in good shape.

The sleeping bag has been used. Smells like ass. Crimes against nature may have been committed in there.

Haven't set up the tent yet. I hope I don't find hoof prints in there.

The guy that had my gear in posession was not the Peruvian, but a Navajo. The owner has muliple herds/herders in that area. I questioned the guy in person twice. It was pretty obvious to me from his behaviour that it was him. Boot prints even matched.

He burned through a complete can of fuel and my sil-nylon tarp is missing. Other than that it's mostly there.

Very pleased to see it again.

Kudos again to the La Plata County Sheriff department and the sheep owner for taking it seriously.

27-Sep-14
Glad to hear that T. I can't believe a guy who makes a living in there would stick his neck out like that. Obviously not only a dirtbag but a dumb one at that.

I hope they throw the book at him!

All's well that ends well. Congrats on a successful hunt and a happy ending all the way around.

29-Sep-14
That is great news. Congrats on a fine looking goat. Glad to hear everything came together.

29-Sep-14
We had 4 cheap bag chairs and a tripod stool for ground blind use stashed in CO. A year later, they were gone. No doubt that a sheepherder took them as no hunter is going to carry those cheap things for 2 miles out of the hills to the road.

Glad that things have turned out OK on the gear. Do you have any idea how he actually found the spot where it was stashed? Think something attracted his dog (sheepherders always have dogs!)?

>>>>-------->

• Sitka Gear