eddie c 22-Oct-14
Stayfit 22-Oct-14
Rex Featherlin 22-Oct-14
drycreek 22-Oct-14
Zim1 22-Oct-14
stealthycat 22-Oct-14
Florida Mike 22-Oct-14
06-Sep-14
Well, After 20 years of strict fitness, and never missing a hunt for physical reasons, my luck officially ran out. Pick yer poison.........Plantar faciitis, Atrial Fibrillation (230 bpm, still got burn marks from monkey shock) & most painful of all, freak pinched nerve disabling right arm (first 3 nights failed to sleep at all). Only 2 positives........(1)I picked a good year, as I drew no premium tags. Was just going OTC Colorado elk. (2)Easy decision to bail due to overwhelming circumstances. The last two conditions occurred in the last 2 weeks! Sucks getting old. Defective parts.

I am consoling myself by watching elk hunting videos on Roku & YouTube. I will be hunting vicariously this year with you fellow Bowsiters, so post some good threads with photos. Especially Arizona, as I should draw next year if I get humpty dumpty assembled again.

Made sure to firmly secure all your wheel bolts before heading for the mountains. Especially if over 55.

One other positive..........today I qualify for a senior prices at Denny's.

06-Sep-14
Sorry to hear it. Hope you're back in the game soon.

06-Sep-14
You'll be back. Hungrier than ever.

06-Sep-14
The "oriental express" would have killed a normal man, you're doing pretty good.

I went in Wed and got the "juice" in my shoulder. Did the hip a few months ago.

heal up

06-Sep-14
Heal up and get after 'em next year. Positive thoughts!

...and, damn, I didn't know I was entitled to the senior discount at Denny's.

06-Sep-14
At 59 I'm already a discount veteran. I can identify with you in many ways and this year had to cancel two big trips due to health. But I continue to eat right, keep myself in great shape and like you obviously have, stay healthy mentally.

Lord willing I leave in 8 days for an archery mulie hunt. You'll be back at it better than ever with 25+ years of great hunting ahead!

Down but not out!

06-Sep-14
Happy Birthday Zim. Hope you get back on the mend quick. Good Luck!

Nick

07-Sep-14
Good Luck to you. I just turned 66 and have a torn rotator cuff just can pull my bow. Bad Back problems L1/L5,all screwed up. However i was looking forward to going to Colorado and try them elk again.My hunting partner let me down again really didn't have the extra cash to go alone.So I'm wasting my vacation at home wishing I was in Colorado.I've hunted all my life deer ,turkey and everything else but nothing compares to elk hunting.Not sure what the future holds lords willing I'll be going next year and won't be depending on whether my hunting partner goes or not.You're right it's tough getting old.God Bless and i hope everything works out for you. God Bless.

07-Sep-14
getting old sucs ... I compare the human body to a old rig .It still runs but if u look under the hood u will find a ton of issues !! Best of luck louis

07-Sep-14
Good luck in a swift recovery.

07-Sep-14
Zim1,

Same here.....right shoulder and left hip.

07-Sep-14
Wish I could say it gets better---- but im not gonna lie to ya..! I have been dealing with a number of issues that try to keep me out of the woods. But guess what -- I am still chasing those whitetails. Seven years ago the dizzy's attacked me (inner ear)so I bought a couple of ground blinds. Hunt the stands when I can, use the ground blinds when I'm wobbly. And I have scored some decent bucks from the ground. Five years ago I had my first wrestling match with osteo arthritis (sp?). It thought it had me beat-- I couldn't pull my bow. So I bought a x bow (don't like it - but) and have taken some decent buck with that also. What ever it takes to chase the tail ! It seems the venison taste even better and the hunt is more rewarding . Don't give up -- good luck to ya...

07-Sep-14
I like your attitude, Zim. No sense cryin' about it, just keep your eye on the prize, and get back out there next Season!

I've got two more years before the wheels fall off ;)

Best Wishes, Jeff

07-Sep-14
Getting old isn't for PUSS-Ys, that's for sure. Headed to 73 in about 2 months.. Been there done that with injuries-get well soon.

07-Sep-14
Your a survivor!! I just got the Juice in my knee!! Over 50 sucks but it beats the alternative!! Keep your head up!! I have had the afib thing and is sucks as well. God is good keep the faith!! You will be back in the game soon!!

Good Huntin!! Rob

07-Sep-14
Best wishes on a speedy recovery. I'm going to be 63 this year an have a complete recovery from my Atrial Fib. I found one of the top guys in electro-cardiology that has an over 90% cure with the Ablation procedure. I strongly recommend you look into that. PM me if you want any more info. Good Luck.

07-Sep-14
Pretty bad when your in too much excruciating pain from a pinched nerve to even worry about your newfound heart defect......for 10 days! But that is where I'm at. Drawing my bow?........hahaha. No matter because I couldn't even get an appt. with the electo-cardio MD until Sept. 22nd. If pain subsides I'll continue my ablation research. Sounded like my cardio MD hinted I was a good candidate for the procedure tho.

07-Sep-14
Ablation is great when it works. Keeps you from having to take rat poison (Coumadin) for the rest of your life.

Hope it works out

Best Wishes, Jeff

07-Sep-14
Good luck to us ole guys! Where there's a will, there's a way! Keep moving and get lean! Don't give up! C

08-Sep-14
Happy Birthday Zim.

Keep the faith!

08-Sep-14
I am glad that you weren't in the middle of your CO hunt when the A-Fib hit.

Plantar F will get better in time.

Pinched nerves suck.

You will be hunting again on the 56th...

08-Sep-14
Sorry zim1, I too came down with a pinched nerve in my left shoulder and arm. For those of you that has had a pinched nerve, what is the best "cure" to get over it?

08-Sep-14
Hey Zim, sorry to hear about your issues we all have a few as we age. Just know that as far as the heart goes, it's guaranteed for life, so you got that going for you. Those were the words of my cardiologist to me lol. Maybe a little deer hunting locally hopefully?

08-Sep-14
Gett better soon Zim. Still have some years for my Denny's discount but none of us are getting anny younger. Meet you once to talk Elk hunting a few years ago in Hillside, not sure if you remember. Going on my first Elk hunt in a few days to Co OTC.

08-Sep-14
Happy birthday young man I'll be 68 in Nov.just had rotator cuff surgery in June also have A-fib but still hoping to pull a bow in Nov.we'll see good luck.Lewis

08-Sep-14
MO farmer, How did you hurt your's? I am pretty sure I tweeked mine while simply hitting some golf balls at the driving range. The cardio MD told me to get some light exercise. I felt something burning in my shoulder at the time, not bad, then the pain hit the next morning. Absolutely brutal 10/10 pain. Same for you? I have had to ice mine every day for 10 days just to function. Some guys told me it would take 3 weeks. I have never had anything like it in my life before, despite golfing for 40 years.

08-Sep-14
I had the pinched nerve and after weeks of trying on my own it took 4 weeks of physical therapy and it REALLY helped.

08-Sep-14
Welcome to the fight! I'm only 53 but maybe you havent heard...its not the years its the mileage that gets us! I've been battling Plantar since 50, got a torn Achilles that is like getting stabbed in the back of the leg with a hot knife for about 8 months now. Goodluck, Mike

08-Sep-14
Thank god my achilles are intact. That would suck.

08-Sep-14
What are you guys doing for the planters how do you cure it, I think I have it in my heel.

08-Sep-14
AFIB hit me last year at 66 and I had it fixed (ablation) Elkmtgear is right about Coumadin being rat poison and that was my major reason for the surgery. If you are taking Coumadin you can't ride a bike, trail run or use a knife - or basically do anything where you have a chance of losing blood. PM me if you have any questions about AFIB/Ablation. Worked for me~

08-Sep-14
Bad luck Zim. It happens. At 67 about all I can hunt are deer and pronghorn. Good luck to you !

P.S. The senior discounts and the Social Security check will NOT make up for being 35 years old

08-Sep-14
THINK +++++ !!!!!!!!!!

08-Sep-14
Zim1,I'm really not sure what triggered the pinched nerve. I stay very active around the farm, we decided to build a small shed/pumphouse and after a long day of carpentering, my shoulder hurt real bad, pain runs down my arm and 2 fingers are numb. General practitioner doc said take some steroids and muscle relaxers. That helped but the pain came back soon as I run out of meds. I'm currently trying a chiropractor/neurologist and he using some new electronic gadgets on me. We'll see if it does any good. I just turned 56. I sure hope you get better soon!

09-Sep-14
MOfarmer, Ya mine runs down my arm too. Index finger is numb. Thumb & middle slightly but not bad. I did nothing that I'd not done every year in the last 40 of golfing.

20-Sep-14
Had a spinal MRI and met with orthopedic MD. He said I had typical drying out and slightly bulging discs, but no major blowouts. No surgery recommended. Will start therapy in a few days. Average healing time 3 months. 90% chance of recurrence, but reduced to 40-50% if I maintain therapy long term.

Took Vicodin for a week, but weaning off now gradually. Down to one 350 mg daily.

Deer season opens here in 10 days and I hope with therapy I can be healed enough to participate. May have to pass on the early season. Biggest challenge will be using my LW climber.

I do not recommend getting a pinched nerve.

20-Sep-14
Good luck on recovery Zim. Are you at a point where you can draw/shoot you bow?

20-Sep-14
At 55 your lug nuts should not even be loose- much less your wheels falling off. I wish I were 55 again !!

21-Sep-14
As Elkmtngear said an ablation can do wonders for A-Fib. I had one 4 years ago and its been great until last week at 10,000 ft. and 3 miles from the truck. At the seven hour mark and everything going numb at 4:00 in the morning I was just asking God not to let me die right there so my son wouldn't have to pack me back down! Interesting that after several years with the condition that episode was almost a killer! Needless to say there is going to be a massive argument with the wife before next year! I'm over 60 so you have some time to get it all corrected and still get after the elk!

21-Sep-14
65 and 24 surgeries to date. Just about lost the fight two years ago but am back hunting. Got my two deer early this year. Keep looking forward and always plan for that next hunt. Mountains definitely are steeper than they used to be. Keep on keepin on, you got a lot of good years ahead. Lots of speed bumps as we get older. Get strong!

22-Oct-14

Zim1's embedded Photo
Zim1's embedded Photo
Update: Well I am home from the hospital. Had the ablation procedure done on my heart yesterday. Turns out the doc doesn't think it's actually AFib, but similar condition causing the heart flutter. He could not recreate my flutter during surgery, but went ahead and burned the nerves he suspects were the issue and 98% chance flutter is fixed. But I still have an abnormal rythm which is disappointing. May need to go back in and zap that. Anyway, I took the most aggressive path and will hope for the best.

On a positive note, 4 therapies later I was able to draw my bow twice on September 30th, and 5 practice shots on October 1st. With pain gone I just wanted to go sit in the woods. No elk of course, but I had some work to do in southern Illinois so on the way there I stopped at a public land just as the first cold front hit October 3rd. Three hours in stand was taking nature pictures when this bruiser interrupted at 6 PM. My cancelled elk trip consolation prize. 160" P&Y.

22-Oct-14
nice buck. congrats. good to hear you are getting better.

22-Oct-14
Great consolation. Give it some time before you go back for an ablation. It took me 3 months to return totally to normal.

22-Oct-14
Met with the cardiologist yesterday, He scheduled me for a sleep study, then a left ventricle ablation, followed up by removal and correction of the varicose veins in my thighs and calves. Guys, I just turned 50 in June, and the wheels definitely fell off this bus.

22-Oct-14
Pretty damn nice for a consolation prize ! Good luck with your health problems. Got a pacemaker myself, need a new battery in 3 or 4 years, not looking forward to that .

22-Oct-14
Rex, Do you know what hospital your ablation will be done at? And what doctor? Mine was at Central Dupage in Winfield by doctor Zardkooi. Googled his resume Cleveland Clinic & Johns Hopkins wow I felt spoiled.

22-Oct-14
I'm 45, have had severe vertigo, right knee scoped, left knee patella tendon ACL surgery and my lower back kills me 1/2 the time plus a few other things ...

are you saying in the next 10 years its not going to get better but maybe even a chance it could get worse ???

oh good gawd

:)

great buck there BTW

22-Oct-14
Great buck Zim! Had an MRI done on my foot today, find out tomo the plan of action. It's just part of the deal... Mike

• Sitka Gear