Bou'bound 23-Sep-14
tommygun 23-Sep-14
tommygun 23-Sep-14
tommygun 23-Sep-14
Swamp hunter 08-Nov-14
SteveB 09-Nov-14
BLACKBEAR 09-Nov-14
08-Sep-14
Well after two years of planning I'm flying out Thursday. (9-11!). Ran into issues with outfitter changing hands..my dad and buddy who are driving with trailer, generator and two freezers....getting bumped from their ferry boat ride because the boat is transporting hazardous waste...had to leave day early...hopefully rest of week runs smooth. Three moose tags, one caribou tag and buddy in Main giving us a bunch of lobster on way back. Trailer hopefully be full, camera loaded with pics, and memories that will last a lifetime.

08-Sep-14
You will have a great adventure! Have a blast and enjoy every minute!

08-Sep-14
Go get 'em and good luck!

Mark

08-Sep-14
surf and turf to be had soon !! best of luck

08-Sep-14
Good luck up there, Tom!

Best of Luck, Jeff

08-Sep-14
Good luck! A little envious here in NJ!

08-Sep-14
Sounds like good times to be had! Good luck!

08-Sep-14
Good luck! Save one for me!

08-Sep-14
Adapt. Improvise. Overcome. I'm pulling for ya! I'm having a series of hurdles pop up before my departure too. Have a great hunt.

08-Sep-14

Gene's embedded Photo
Gene's embedded Photo
Good luck and keep us posted. I hunted NF for caribou in 2002 and have wanted to return ever since. Maybe next year. You will like those NF folks.

09-Sep-14
Best of luck, and stay safe. Enjoy every minute of your trip.

11-Sep-14
Good luck - lobster and moose, sounds awfully delicious!

11-Sep-14
Best of luck to the whole crew. Lobster wow.

18-Sep-14
Back yet? !?!

Let's here some stories. Love NF!

18-Sep-14
good luck enjoy

18-Sep-14
Good luck tommygun. Give my best wishes to all the tuccamore you encounter. If you don't know what it is, you will when you come back. Y'all will have a great time.

20-Sep-14
Good luck, stay safe.

22-Sep-14
Alright Tommy - how'd it go?

22-Sep-14

tommygun's MOBILE embedded Photo

Well. Went "ok". Long story still in airport in Chicago. Many pics to come. All on my other camera

22-Sep-14

Well. Went "ok". Long story still in airport in Chicago. Many pics to come. All on my other camera

22-Sep-14
where were ya? nice Moose!

22-Sep-14
Nice Moose! Hope the OK part is non-Moose related cause that's a nice one!

My guess weather or tuckamore.

Looking forward to stories!

22-Sep-14
Hunt actually went great. Had half day cut short due to bad weather and couldn't fly us in. Slow movement first few days. Lots of cows. Dad and friend shot two cows and one caribou. Saw a monster caribou on Tuesday of course I didn't have tag. Yesterday couldn't fly out so they came in with Argos to get us out. Long rainy ride. But fun. Camp great...food great...fun week.

22-Sep-14

tommygun's embedded Photo

22-Sep-14
Nice!!!

Addictive isn't it?

22-Sep-14
Looks terrific. Nothing better than bow hunting the Bogs. I miss it. Congrats! C

22-Sep-14
Congrats!!! I've really have to get back to New Foundland!!

23-Sep-14
That is a great moose. How long was the bow shot?

23-Sep-14

Bou, one decision I made midway through planning this trip with dad and his friend was to rifle hunt. Original plans was with the original owner, Portland Creek Hunting and Fishing. Few months back they where bought out by Gros Morne Outfitters and Guides. Roger, dads friend who originally went to this camp in 2009, stated guides at this camp had limited knowledge of bow hunting. Being a bowhunter himself but stricken with Parkinson's, rifle hunted in 2009. A choice I'm kind of glad i made. Few phone calls inquiring about bow hunting clients the new owner kinda game me the impression they didn't cater to bow hunters..But this was a place Roger wanted to go back to and had my dad sold years ago. Guides actually where great people, but with a lot of camps I learned, are guys that are either full fisherman or miners and use the hunting season to find work at camps during the closing of fishing season. They work very hard. But The guide that was with me didn't know much of the area we hunted. He was given some direction by the more experienced guide that had been there past 5 years as to where to go. We covered lots of ground. Many miles of walking. But with most camps this week moose movement was very slow. I saw no animals Tuesday and Wednesday after putting in long days. Wednesday I shot this moose early in the morning. This was the last of the four animals we shot(3 moose and caribou). The next two days we cut meat from morning to evening. Dad, who butchered as a young man, brought vacuum sealers and all the bags you can imagine. All roasts and steaks where sealed, and hamburger meat in gallon sized ziplocks to later grind when they got home. We finished cutting Friday and they came in on Argos to bring meat back to have frozen in town. Lucky for cool weather. Had meat shack next to lake that kept meat cool. Two freezer chests where loaded full Sunday when we got out. But weather dampened many hunts. We where lucky that this camp was a fly/or Argo. So when the weather got bad they where still able to get us out. Many hunters are still out there and cant get out or get in this week. Strong winds are keeping planes on ground. Dad and Roger are still on the Island because the Ferry is shut down till maybe Thursday due to 80-110 mph winds now on the water. So they plan on staying at Deer Lake. But the boats are going to be very backed up once they are finally running. Overall great time though. We did have some very nice days..but that is when the movement was slow. Total I only saw 2 cow, 1 calf and the one bull. Dad saw 2 cows and Roger 10 cows and the one caribou stag. Roger was limited to some ATV riding with his Parkinson's and two new knees. Dad did good but knew first day should have did some walking before the trip ;). I'm going to have to plan another trip. Beautiful country, Great people.

23-Sep-14

And trying to get moose out was fun. I did this trying to reach boat. Funny

23-Sep-14

And if I would have taken a pic of my dads face when I boated to camp as he waited for me on the pier. Priceless!

08-Nov-14
Looks like a grand time in Royal Newfoundland bye.

09-Nov-14
Congrats on a beauty! Who cares what the weapon was!

09-Nov-14
CONGRATS ON THE MOOSE HUNTING TRIP,,,I WENT IN 2012 can't WAIT TO GO BACK.

• Sitka Gear