bowbearman 20-Sep-14
bowbearman 21-Sep-14
bowbearman 22-Sep-14
ORarcheryboy 22-Sep-14
loesshillsarcher 22-Sep-14
bowbearman 22-Sep-14
Bigpizzaman 23-Sep-14
11-Sep-14
Well got to Oregon Sept 3rd to meet my friend Jason to try our luck at some Roosevelt elk on the southwest coast. We hunted the last 7 days seeing lots of elk but very few legal bulls the only legal bull we seen or heard l missed at 72 yards I didn't have time to range judged him at 60 and shot under him he was a small 5x5 that was the second day. Since then we've seen tons of cow within bow range but no bulls with them and can't get a bull to bugle!!! All the herds have spikes tending them!! So we decided to make a change and head to Idaho and try our luck there and return back to Oregon in 4-5 days. That is if they don't shut down the forest most of the state is level 3 fire danger and most private land "forest company" is shut down completely which also means all the hunters are hunting the stare and federal land so the pressure has been out of control the past week. So hopefully by time we get back the bulls will start calling and it will cool down was 100 in reeds port the other day. Way to hot for this Wisconsin boy!! I'll post pics when I get back home the 25th.

Thanks Aaron

11-Sep-14
Well got to Oregon Sept 3rd to meet my friend Jason to try our luck at some Roosevelt elk on the southwest coast. We hunted the last 7 days seeing lots of elk but very few legal bulls the only legal bull we seen or heard l missed at 72 yards I didn't have time to range judged him at 60 and shot under him he was a small 5x5 that was the second day. Since then we've seen tons of cow within bow range but no bulls with them and can't get a bull to bugle!!! All the herds have spikes tending them!! So we decided to make a change and head to Idaho and try our luck there and return back to Oregon in 4-5 days. That is if they don't shut down the forest most of the state is level 3 fire danger and most private land "forest company" is shut down completely which also means all the hunters are hunting the stare and federal land so the pressure has been out of control the past week. So hopefully by time we get back the bulls will start calling and it will cool down was 100 in reeds port the other day. Way to hot for this Wisconsin boy!! I'll post pics when I get back home the 25th.

Thanks Aaron

11-Sep-14
Loesshillsarcher killed a 4X5 Rosie the night before last.....

12-Sep-14
Tough so far this year. Closed land and hot weather. We did have bulls bugling in the morning though the past few days.

12-Sep-14
ORarcher,

If anyone will get it done it'll be you man! Keep us posted.

Congrats to Loes!

13-Sep-14
We are still in Idaho chasing elk and whitetails been seeing the same thing here cows and spikes no bugling or branch bulls with the herds its weird!!! Jason shot a 6 pt whitetsil this morning we are headed back to Oregon Monday.

Aaron

13-Sep-14
Let's spell them Roosey...as in Roosevelt.

(not like big mouth Rosie)

15-Sep-14
The 10 hour drive back to Oregon begins!!

Aaron

17-Sep-14
No elk yesterday but got into 2 herds this morning within 50 yds watched them for a while but not a single bull with them I don't get it I can't believe there are not bulls with these herds its sept 17th that's insane!!! We got a change in weather coming maybe that will crank them up?

Aaron

18-Sep-14
Good luck, Aaron. Stay after it. It'll happen!

18-Sep-14
Same thing here I'm in the Tioga unit, haven't seen a legal Bull. They are very quiet and must be staying in the timber. Hoping to get a shot.

18-Sep-14
Bigpizzaman What u driving? I probably seen u? :) we are driving a white Toyota extended cab. I heard they opened up the Weyerhauser this morning so that might help pressure.

Aaron.

18-Sep-14
Aaron we're in a white Toyota Tocoma

Trying to get Weyerhaeuser now. Thanks

18-Sep-14
Bigpizzaman

Pm.sent

18-Sep-14
Got together with my hunting buddy to look at maps before heading out the next couple of days. I pointed at the map where two drainages converge and told him "there is a bull right there waiting for us". He got there a day before me and guess what? Yep, a guy was packing a nice mature 5X5 roosey out of that drainage....We put in some time down the drainage. Only saw cows in a "bull only" area. Got to keep looking.

19-Sep-14
We finally seen a bull tonight and it was a giant!!! All alone come out about 10 min before shooting hours he was 300 yds we literally ran to cut the distance in half and you know how hard that is in western Oregon in this timber and clear cuts and try to be quiet anyway we got 150 yds figured that was as close as we could get undetected got setup and cow called he kept walking then turned and right back down the drainage never to be seen or heard again!!! What the heck is going on a bull that big should have every cow in the valley with him on sept 18th!!! It was nice to see him but a little disheartened to see no cows with him and not interested in them either

Aaron

19-Sep-14
Snag u hunting Tioga

19-Sep-14
I have seen a few bulls with several cows all bugling in the mornings. Also saw a spike all alone today. Trying to find a place without a ton of people.

19-Sep-14
Well still in Oregon and today is my Anniversery! Can you say Doghouse! Off to kill a Bull!! Aaron I'll be in touch!

19-Sep-14
Well still in Oregon and today is my Anniversery! Can you say Doghouse! Off to kill a Bull!! Aaron I'll be in touch!

20-Sep-14
Well finally had some action this morning spotted a bull in a clear cut got in on him called he come in quiet to 30 yds but it was so thick we could not even see him then we started doggin him and got him at 100 yds in the wide open but to far I started going toward him in the thick brush while Jason started to bugle and out of nowhere the hillside exploded a different bull charged in with 30 yds but again to thick for a shot this brushy stuff sucks!!! Long story short he finally winded us and it was all over but a exciting hour for sure!!! Nothing tonight Aaron

21-Sep-14
Got into another bull this morning couldn't seal the deal I need a little luck on my side getting sooooo close I've had a couple bulls in the last few days within shooting but its so darn thick here it sucks! We got a bull located for morning anyway!!

Aaron

22-Sep-14
Well they beat me I'm headed back to Wisconsin empty handed. Good luck with the rest of your hunt tim. Aaron

22-Sep-14
Roosies are tough! Hope your hunt went well. I wish everyone had a chance to bowhunt them to see how hard it really is.

22-Sep-14
My hunt was hard for the most part. Hot. In the mornings we dealt with fog which made it hard to locate animals. I heard one bugle during my hunt. In the evenings and due to the heat, the elk would emerge just minutes before dark. This made it hard to position ones self close enough to make it work. We managed to call a satellite in on the last morning however and I was happy to have the opportunity.

22-Sep-14
Yep heat fog and pressure where our biggest problems

Aaron

23-Sep-14
Aaron,

I'm back too! No Elk for me, it was tough but I'll be back with renewed vigor! One night right before dark we put a nice (very nice) 6x6 to bed and came in early the next morning to hunt him. We found another truck blocking the road, we were disappointed but ran down the mountain to sit on the back-door in case then hunter blew him out. He didn't, the Bull will gross over 300", congrats to him, he was hunting solo and got it done!

I've got a plan for my return!!

• Sitka Gear